Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. Although Adam Boone went to another school to start, he played at the "U" and I was incredibly impressed with him every time I heard him interviewed. Never met him, but I think he is a 100% solid guy. So, yeah, I would love it if Tyus turned into "the next Adam Boone".

That makes absolutely no sense...why not compare him to Hosea Crittenden....he was a solid guy too.

This reminds me of one of those SAT-type questions: "Tyus and Jahlil play basketball. Tyus will play on Jahlil's team. Jahlil will not be a Gopher. Therefor, will Tyus be a Gopher?"

I think that would be an an easy SAT question - No.

Guys , anything new with Jones or Travis?

I've given up on JOnes to MSU but was hoping for Travis
tx

Well that's certainly a change. Did reality finally set in for him/them?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=ncbrecruitingnational&id=6933&src=desktop
Jahlil Okafor Talks Narrowing List to Final 8
As for the rumors that he, Jones and Winslow will play together in college, Okafor said, “It’s a definite possibility, but it’s not like we have to do it. It would be ideal if we could, but we will have to wait and see.”

Maybe a glimmer of hope for a Jones/Okafor break-up?

I've given up on JOnes to MSU but was hoping for Travis
tx

New with Travis' situation? Well, Pitino hired an assistant who's a well respected alum of Travis' high school and he's all over him in recruiting, and MSU signed PF Gavin Schilling to a letter of intent this spring. I've always had the sense MN is going to get Travis, and if it's not us it'll be for a unique academic school like Stanford, not MSU or anybody like that. I'd add that, based on reports out of EYBL, it seems likely that Travis' ranking (currently around 41) is going to get better.

As for Jones, locals are losing confidence that he's realistically considering MN. There is a lot of pressure on him and his every statement is scrutinized in the press. I can't see it going over well for him and his family if he chose another B1G school (and IMO that wouldn't make a lot of sense either). Which is one reason Duke seems to be the clear leader, at least by those who are speculating.

New with Travis' situation? Well, Pitino hired an assistant who's a well respected alum of Travis' high school and he's all over him in recruiting, and MSU signed PF Gavin Schilling to a letter of intent this spring. I've always had the sense MN is going to get Travis, and if it's not us it'll be for a unique academic school like Stanford, not MSU or anybody like that. I'd add that, based on reports out of EYBL, it seems likely that Travis' ranking (currently around 41) is going to get better.

As for Jones, locals are losing confidence that he's realistically considering MN. There is a lot of pressure on him and his every statement is scrutinized in the press. I can't see it going over well for him and his family if he chose another B1G school (and IMO that wouldn't make a lot of sense either). Which is one reason Duke seems to be the clear leader, at least by those who are speculating.

I'd expect Travis to be anywhere from 25-35 on the updated set of recruiting rankings that come out in a month or so... He has definitely helped his stock in the past 4 tournaments, and the Peach Jam can help him even more.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=ncbrecruitingnational&id=6933&src=desktop
Jahlil Okafor Talks Narrowing List to Final 8
As for the rumors that he, Jones and Winslow will play together in college, Okafor said, “It’s a definite possibility, but it’s not like we have to do it. It would be ideal if we could, but we will have to wait and see.”

Maybe a glimmer of hope for a Jones/Okafor break-up?

Winslow was included in that question so I'll take his answer with a grain of salt.

Based on what you said, don't you think they've been doing that all along? How does that quote change anything?

It's easy to say you're going to play with your friend early in the process. When it comes down to it, a player is going to go to a program that's a best fit for him, not the best average fit for two players.

Or did they figure out they had to say it was just a possibility so they could string along Mn and Illinois?

Or did they figure out they had to say it was just a possibility so they could string along Mn and Illinois?

These guys can play anywhere in the country they want to so they have no reason to string along their home state schools. I guarantee that even if the chances are slim to none if they truly were 0% they would just say so and cross the school off the list. Odds are Tyus is not coming here but I don't believe for one second that we are 100% out of the realm of possibility.

Amelia Q&A on Tyus:

Seems like the new coaching staff more aggressively pursues the players they want. Not that Tubby didn’t, but it just seems that way. Because of the coaching change and the style of play, do you think we will have a better shot at Tyus than the previous staff would have?

Troy M

That is an interesting question (and one you’re probably not going to like the answer to).

I do agree that the Gophers’ new staff has aggressively gone after recruits already in a way that was lacking with former coach Tubby Smith’s staff. However, even if this staff has been substantially more personable and intense and dedicated, Jones has been getting that for years from the likes of Duke (which has other things the Gophers don’t, namely, a long, storied tradition – don’t send me hate tweets for this, please). Tyus Jones will not be won overnight, and that is essentially what the new staff is trying to do. They have to try – of course – but the reality of them succeeding remains very slim. Jones -- who is smart beyond his years and has gotten years of worthy guidance from his mother, Debbie, who kind of acts as stand-in agent -- will keep the Gophers on his list because he respects his home state institution. However, he’s careful not to say that his opinion of the program has changed in any way with the coaching switch (which seems impossible, since the coach is such a huge part of a decision) in order to not stir up headlines on either side. He also indicated to me last weekend that he isn’t planning on using one of his official visits on Minnesota, since he’s been around campus so much already. Compare that answer, however, to that of Reid Travis, who is in the same position but wants to official with the Gophers because “there are ins and outs you really can’t experience with an unofficial” and it becomes meaningful.

Adding fire to this theory is the fact that old buddy Jahlil Okafor – about whom Jones says he’s “99 percent” sure he’ll play with at the next level – has officially edited out Minnesota from his final list of eight. Look at the schools the pair have in common on their narrowed lists, and you’ll probably see the school where both of them will end up.

Are the Gophers eliminated? No, they won’t be eliminated until Jones eliminates them. But the odds of him ending up in Maroon and Gold are, shall we say, not favorable.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/209569321.html

Go Gophers!!

Amelia Q&A on Tyus:

Seems like the new coaching staff more aggressively pursues the players they want. Not that Tubby didn’t, but it just seems that way. Because of the coaching change and the style of play, do you think we will have a better shot at Tyus than the previous staff would have?

Troy M

That is an interesting question (and one you’re probably not going to like the answer to).

I do agree that the Gophers’ new staff has aggressively gone after recruits already in a way that was lacking with former coach Tubby Smith’s staff. However, even if this staff has been substantially more personable and intense and dedicated, Jones has been getting that for years from the likes of Duke (which has other things the Gophers don’t, namely, a long, storied tradition – don’t send me hate tweets for this, please). Tyus Jones will not be won overnight, and that is essentially what the new staff is trying to do. They have to try – of course – but the reality of them succeeding remains very slim. Jones -- who is smart beyond his years and has gotten years of worthy guidance from his mother, Debbie, who kind of acts as stand-in agent -- will keep the Gophers on his list because he respects his home state institution. However, he’s careful not to say that his opinion of the program has changed in any way with the coaching switch (which seems impossible, since the coach is such a huge part of a decision) in order to not stir up headlines on either side. He also indicated to me last weekend that he isn’t planning on using one of his official visits on Minnesota, since he’s been around campus so much already. Compare that answer, however, to that of Reid Travis, who is in the same position but wants to official with the Gophers because “there are ins and outs you really can’t experience with an unofficial” and it becomes meaningful.

Adding fire to this theory is the fact that old buddy Jahlil Okafor – about whom Jones says he’s “99 percent” sure he’ll play with at the next level – has officially edited out Minnesota from his final list of eight. Look at the schools the pair have in common on their narrowed lists, and you’ll probably see the school where both of them will end up.

Are the Gophers eliminated? No, they won’t be eliminated until Jones eliminates them. But the odds of him ending up in Maroon and Gold are, shall we say, not favorable.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/209569321.html

Go Gophers!!

Basically sums up 100+ pages of posts on this thread.

Jones probably wasn't going to OSU anyway, as it seems other coaches are even acknowledging that Duke leads for Jones, and I really doubt OSU will keep going after Jones now. Even before the Russell commit they probably had already been hoping for the split in the Jones-Okafor package since it seems Duke has gotten the upper hand with Tyus, and Tyus is trying to drag Okafor with him to Duke even though that system isn't a particularly good fit for Okafor.

Per Myron at ESPN: Life of a big-time recruit: Tyus Jones

From the article:

There is dwindling hope, locally, that Jones will choose the program that's 30 minutes from his house.

Minnesota is not on Okafor's list. That's just one of the reasons that most of the men and women who gathered in May to watch Jones compete worry that he'll leave the state to play college ball.

"Probably eight out of 10 people that may come up to him and talk to him about schools are [saying] 'Hey, stay home, stay home,'" Cascaes said.

That's the norm in these parts. This is a state that has lost some of its most talented natives.

Bob Dylan, Kevin McHale, F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Madden, Judy Garland and Roger Maris were all born in Minnesota. But they all left before they became famous.

Basketball has followed a similar pattern. El-Amin, Cole Aldrich, Jordan Taylor and other recent college standouts found homes outside Minnesota. When the state's best and brightest come home, they stay only for the weekend.

Jones? Well, the Gophers remain on his list partially because he's so close to his family. Everywhere he goes, fans ask him -- beg him -- to choose Minnesota. They approach him when he's out with his family. Crowds shout "We want Tyus!" whenever he attends a U of M game. His Twitter followers try to sway him every day.

He's not moved by the pressure.

"Unless you're in those shoes, you really don't know what it's like," said Rob Jones. "I think he's handled it well. He hasn't been shaken."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...er-circle-tight-dreams-big-college-basketball

Go Gophers!!

From the article:

There is dwindling hope, locally, that Jones will choose the program that's 30 minutes from his house.

Minnesota is not on Okafor's list. That's just one of the reasons that most of the men and women who gathered in May to watch Jones compete worry that he'll leave the state to play college ball.

"Probably eight out of 10 people that may come up to him and talk to him about schools are [saying] 'Hey, stay home, stay home,'" Cascaes said.

That's the norm in these parts. This is a state that has lost some of its most talented natives.

Bob Dylan, Kevin McHale, F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Madden, Judy Garland and Roger Maris were all born in Minnesota. But they all left before they became famous.

Basketball has followed a similar pattern. El-Amin, Cole Aldrich, Jordan Taylor and other recent college standouts found homes outside Minnesota. When the state's best and brightest come home, they stay only for the weekend.

Jones? Well, the Gophers remain on his list partially because he's so close to his family. Everywhere he goes, fans ask him -- beg him -- to choose Minnesota. They approach him when he's out with his family. Crowds shout "We want Tyus!" whenever he attends a U of M game. His Twitter followers try to sway him every day.

"Unless you're in those shoes, you really don't know what it's like," said Rob Jones. "I think he's handled it well. He hasn't been shaken."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...er-circle-tight-dreams-big-college-basketball

Go Gophers!!
How many NCAA violations have been committed by fans attempting to keep Tyus home? They're all minor violations, but there must be some kind of quantity record we're breaking trying to get him in maroon and gold.

How many NCAA violations have been committed by fans attempting to keep Tyus home? They're all minor violations, but there must be some kind of quantity record we're breaking trying to get him in maroon and gold.

I'd find it hard to believe there's an NCAA violation against a stranger running into a recruit and saying... "hey ___, I enjoyed your game, and I hope to see you play for ____" or even a friend saying it.

Not a lot you can do about that happening in life. I know there are so many bogus NCAA Rules Violations, but this one would just be flat out silly.

I'd find it hard to believe there's an NCAA violation against a stranger running into a recruit and saying... "hey ___, I enjoyed your game, and I hope to see you play for ____" or even a friend saying it.

Not a lot you can do about that happening in life. I know there are so many bogus NCAA Rules Violations, but this one would just be flat out silly.
This is the NCAA you're talking about here. The better question is "what isn't a violation?" as nearly everything is if you're not family or a close friend.

That's a big worry a fan talking to a recruit. lol Mryon's take on Minnesota is the same idiotic bs he's been babbling for years. Saw him on an ESPN basketball show once. Just once as I' m sure the national people realize the guy shouldn't have a job there. But like at the Tribune no one seemed to dare fire the mental midget.

I don't read Myron any more, especially when it deals with Minnesota. He only has one Minnesota take and it's always negative.

It's a good thing Myron also listed the Minnesotans who became famous while living here. He did list them, right?

I guess it's possible Myron wanted to list himself on the famous-after-they-left list...

For what it's worth, even Michigan State's homer recruiting mag (Jim Comparoni's Spartan Magazine) didn't mention Tyus in the most recent issue, where Comparoni provided a thorough breakdown/analysis of potential 2014 Sparty recruits. That's saying something because they mention a lot of kids, including 2014 PG Tyler Ulis from Marian Catholic (Ill.). I get the feeling Izzo realizes Tyus has cooled on MSU, too, hence making Ulis more of an Izzo priority.

It's looking more & more like Duke.

From the article:

Go Gophers!!

That is one of the most vapid arguments I've ever read. Utterly ridiculous.

One, what does any of it have to do with Tyus Jones. Judy Garland split, so Tyus will too?

Two, the list of names he provides as "leaving" is just hilariously off base. Judy Garland's family left when she was 4. Roger Maris's family moved when he was 12. Kevin McHale went to college here, and "left" when he got drafted by the Celtics. (And then came back to run the Wolves.) F. Scott Fitzgerald spent most of his childhood out east in NY and NJ. Yep, all these people prove that talent just can't wait to leave MN.

The list of players leaving is BS too. Across the nation, local fans want top recruits to stay home, and top recruits often choose to go elsewhere. It happens literally everywhere. But somehow, Myron portrays it as a black mark against Minnesota.

I don't know why he has such a grudge against the Gophers, and now, apparently, the state as a whole, but it's pretty pathetic. Almost as pathetic as his writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom