Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The line about people that have "left" here is so stupid, I nearly couldn't believe what I was reading, as the previous post pointed out well.

That is one of the most vapid arguments I've ever read. Utterly ridiculous.

One, what does any of it have to do with Tyus Jones. Judy Garland split, so Tyus will too?

Two, the list of names he provides as "leaving" is just hilariously off base. Judy Garland's family left when she was 4. Roger Maris's family moved when he was 12. Kevin McHale went to college here, and "left" when he got drafted by the Celtics. (And then came back to run the Wolves.) F. Scott Fitzgerald spent most of his childhood out east in NY and NJ. Yep, all these people prove that talent just can't wait to leave MN.

The list of players leaving is BS too. Across the nation, local fans want top recruits to stay home, and top recruits often choose to go elsewhere. It happens literally everywhere. But somehow, Myron portrays it as a black mark against Minnesota.

I don't know why he has such a grudge against the Gophers, and now, apparently, the state as a whole, but it's pretty pathetic. Almost as pathetic as his writing.

And why, oh why, would Tyus choose to go play in North Carolina?

Julianne Moore, John Coltrane, George Clinton, Thelonious Monk, David Sedaris, Joe Gibbs, and David Lynch all left. Not to mention the incomparable Reginald VelJohnson.

Sorry to quote myself.

Couldn't have said it any better. I just read the article for the quotes, although they weren't very interesting either.

That is one of the most vapid arguments I've ever read. Utterly ridiculous.

One, what does any of it have to do with Tyus Jones. Judy Garland split, so Tyus will too?

Two, the list of names he provides as "leaving" is just hilariously off base. Judy Garland's family left when she was 4. Roger Maris's family moved when he was 12. Kevin McHale went to college here, and "left" when he got drafted by the Celtics. (And then came back to run the Wolves.) F. Scott Fitzgerald spent most of his childhood out east in NY and NJ. Yep, all these people prove that talent just can't wait to leave MN.

The list of players leaving is BS too. Across the nation, local fans want top recruits to stay home, and top recruits often choose to go elsewhere. It happens literally everywhere. But somehow, Myron portrays it as a black mark against Minnesota.

I don't know why he has such a grudge against the Gophers, and now, apparently, the state as a whole, but it's pretty pathetic. Almost as pathetic as his writing.

And why, oh why, would Tyus choose to go play in North Carolina?

Julianne Moore, John Coltrane, George Clinton, Thelonious Monk, David Sedaris, Joe Gibbs, and David Lynch all left. Not to mention the incomparable Reginald VelJohnson.

Sorry to quote myself.

Mad props for the Mr. Winslow reference haha

So McHale applies to the "became famous after leaving Minnesota" but not to the basketball part? I'd rather have him as an alum than El-Amin, Taylor or Aldrich for sure.

These days it's hard to keep top-10 recruits in-state for almost any non-blue blood program, really not something that is unique to Minnesota.

Still scratching my head how Myron got the ESPN job. Of the last 3 Strib Gopher beat writers I'd put him a distant 3rd behind Jeff Shelman and Amelia, but a credit to him for getting a space on the Mother Ship. That's all I have to say on that subject.

So McHale applies to the "became famous after leaving Minnesota" but not to the basketball part? I'd rather have him as an alum than El-Amin, Taylor or Aldrich for sure.

These days it's hard to keep top-10 recruits in-state for almost any non-blue blood program, really not something that is unique to Minnesota.

The point Myron was trying to make is just false, not to mention the McHale reference is incredibly stupid given that he stayed here for college (then yeah, went to the NBA when MN didn't have a team, then came back to run our team!)

Minnesota actually has been able to get the majority of its in state high school bb talent to the U ... probably more so than many if not most states. Jacobson, Rickert, Humphries, Przybilla, R White ... all 5* players who stayed. Only 5* players I can think of who left are Cole Aldrich (when the program was stagnating under Monson) and El-Amin (rife with recruiting violations).

Shoddy research by Myron ... but he's a UNC guy anyway and never seemed sold on a school like MN becoming a contender.

The point Myron was trying to make is just false, not to mention the McHale reference is incredibly stupid given that he stayed here for college (then yeah, went to the NBA when MN didn't have a team, then came back to run our team!)

Minnesota actually has been able to get the majority of its in state high school bb talent to the U ... probably more so than many if not most states. Jacobson, Rickert, Humphries, Przybilla, R White ... all 5* players who stayed. Only 5* players I can think of who left are Cole Aldrich (when the program was stagnating under Monson) and El-Amin (rife with recruiting violations).

Shoddy research by Myron ... but he's a UNC guy anyway and never seemed sold on a school like MN becoming a contender.

Yeah. The McHale one is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Was he supposed to refuse to play for the Celtics so he could hold out for a spot on a non existent MN NBA team?

For what it's worth, even Michigan State's homer recruiting mag (Jim Comparoni's Spartan Magazine) didn't mention Tyus in the most recent issue, where Comparoni provided a thorough breakdown/analysis of potential 2014 Sparty recruits. That's saying something because they mention a lot of kids, including 2014 PG Tyler Ulis from Marian Catholic (Ill.). I get the feeling Izzo realizes Tyus has cooled on MSU, too, hence making Ulis more of an Izzo priority.

It's looking more & more like Duke.

So you read Spartan Magazine???

Rivals top 3 from their annual "Top 150". You have to go back to 2009 to find 1 of the top 3 to stay in their home state. That is 1 in the last 15.

Plus my obligatory You Suck Myron.

Class of 2013

Andrew Wiggins, Huntington, WV, Huntington Prep->Kansas
Julius Randle, Plano, TX->Kentucky
Aaron Gordon, San Jose, CA->Arizona

Class of 2012

Shabazz Muhammad, Las Vegas, NV->UCLA
Nerlens Noel, Tilton, NH->Kentucky
Kyle Anderson, Jersey City, NJ->UCLA

Class of 2011

Austin Rivers, Winter Park, FL->Duke
Anthony Davis, Chicago, IL->Kentucky
Mike Gilchrist, Elizabeth, NJ->Kentucky

Class of 2010

Josh Selby, Baltimore, MD->Kansas
Harrison Barnes, Ames, IA->North Carolina
Enes Kanter, Merced, CA->Kentucky

Class of 2009

John Wall, Raleigh, NC->Kentucky
DeMarcus Cousins, Mobile, AL->Kentucky
Derrick Favors, Atlanta, GA->Georgia Tech

Man, that 2010 list by Rivals is pretty bogus by rating Josh Selby at #1. Looking at the top-3 is kind of a small sample size, though. If you look at the top-10 from RSCI (consensus rankings, where for instance Selby rates a slightly more appropriate #6), I think it's a better analysis as you get a bigger picture of what happens generally with top-10 ranked recruits without limiting yourself to 3 potential spots in the rankings for Tyus. I think it's fair to say he will be a top-10 recruit in the end, but there's still a year left for the rankings to change and while he appears to be a solid top-5 prospect, it's not over yet.

2013 - 10% (1/10 stayed in-state)
2012 - 10%
2011 - 20% (both #9 and #10 stayed in-state)
2010 - 20%
2009 - 20%
2008 - 30%
2007 - 20%
2006 - 20%

So on the whole slightly less than 20% of top-10 players attend in-state schools in this day and age. I stop at 2006 since that is when the 1 & done era began and all these guys basically had to pick a college every year. I still count Brandon Jennings as going out of state to Arizona if he had qualified. If you want the list of in-state schools that these top-10 stars went to, it reads like this: Florida (13), Baylor (12), Memphis (11), Indiana (11), Ohio St (10), Baylor (10), Georgia Tech (09), Florida (09), UCLA (08), USC (08), Ohio St (08), Indiana (07), Arizona (07), Washington (06), Stanford (06). Interesting that Texas hasn't gotten any in-state stars in spite of many opportunities (though they got some out of state stars), while Baylor has managed to do it twice in this timeframe. Each of those programs had been to the Sweet 16 or better at some point in the 10 tournaments before each of those players arrived, though Perry Jones already signed with Baylor before they made the Elite 8 in 2010 and it was the full 10 tournaments to go back to the last time IU made a S16 by the time Zeller arrived).

How many NCAA violations have been committed by fans attempting to keep Tyus home? They're all minor violations, but there must be some kind of quantity record we're breaking trying to get him in maroon and gold.

It is only a violation if you are a booster. I believe(don't quote me) the definition is season ticket holder or donor to the program. Buddies in compliance say that this would be nothing compared to what they have to deal with on boosters wanting to deal with players to convince them to go to school. One buddy said that they had contact a judge who was contacting a prospect on facebook. It sounded like an inverse Pantherhawk from what he said.

It is only a violation if you are a booster. I believe(don't quote me) the definition is season ticket holder or donor to the program. Buddies in compliance say that this would be nothing compared to what they have to deal with on boosters wanting to deal with players to convince them to go to school. One buddy said that they had contact a judge who was contacting a prospect on facebook. It sounded like an inverse Pantherhawk from what he said.

I could be wrong as well, but I believe a booster is anyone who's ever given money to the school. Be it a donation, tuition, one game ticket, a gopher hat, etc. any purchase or donation that goes to the university of Minnesota.

D1 Circuit: Who is the EYBL's Offensive Player of the Year?

Here's a look at six of the best offensive studs in the 2013 Elite Youth Basketball League and in the running for the D1 Circuit Offensive Player of the Year award. Take some time to marvel at their achievements and then take your pick in the poll to the right to help decide who will be the winner. Voting ends at 4 p.m. (EDT) Tuesday, June 18th.

PG | Tyus Jones (2014) | Howard Pulley Panthers
22.8 PPG, 57.0 FG%, 88.0 FT%, 45.6 3PT%, 6.9 APG, 411 PTS
Tyus Jones, simply put, had a year for the ages. Prior to the EYBL season, Jones led his Apple Valley squad to a Minnesota Class 4A (largest schools) state title and really kept momentum rolling into his season with the Howard Pulley Panthers. Undoubtedly a league’s Most Valuable Player candidate, Jones finds himself in the running for Offensive Player of the Year largely because of his efficiency on the court. His shooting numbers are simply stunning for anyone let alone a point guard who accounts for at least a piece of almost every play run by Howard Pulley. That’s also a big reason why he put up 6.9 assists per game and 411 total points to lead the EYBL in both categories.

http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/264828?referrer_id=790853

Go Gophers!!

Why is Myron picking on us, what about fans from the other schools who tweet him to whore him over to their school, what's the difference. Bo's calling you Myron he's gotta stiffy better go take care of it

Why doesn't Tyus just stop holding some fans hostage and announce his decision or at least his Top 2...and not include MN just because he lives here.

Why doesn't Tyus just stop holding some fans hostage and announce his decision or at least his Top 2...and not include MN just because he lives here.

How is he holding anyone hostage? If you know he isn't coming here, then you know he isn't coming here. Shouldn't matter what his list says. People need to either stop complaining about us being on his list, or they need to stop saying he isn't coming here. Makes no sense to complain about both. Also, I think it looks better if he keeps us on his list than if he doesn't. I think we can all suck it up for a while and just focus on hoping for other recruits.

From Tyus' latest blog:

"My recruitment is still going pretty well.

Right now the only official I've got lined up is to Baylor at the end of August. Me and my boy Jahlil (Okafor) are going together on that one. We'll probably do other visits together we just haven't set them up yet.

You guys already know that me and Jahlil are gonna play together in college, and now we're feeling pretty good about getting our boy Justise Winslow to come along with us as well.

It's looking pretty good for that. We're, all three, really great friends and we've got a close bond so we all like the idea of playing together in college.

I've been keeping in touch with all of the coaches that are recruiting me pretty regularly. Now that I'm headed into my senior year it's interesting to see how the conversations are changing to official visit talk and things like that. I can really feel the intensity cranking up.

The coaches have been really straight-up with me and re-emphasizing why they think their school will benefit me and my family. It's a lot to take in at times, but I know this won't be an easy decision.

I've got a bunch of great options."

http://socialhub.usatodayhss.com/social-hub/blogs/item/398-the-tyus-jones-blog

Go Gophers!!

From Tyus' latest blog:

"My recruitment is still going pretty well.

Right now the only official I've got lined up is to Baylor at the end of August. Me and my boy Jahlil (Okafor) are going together on that one. We'll probably do other visits together we just haven't set them up yet.

You guys already know that me and Jahlil are gonna play together in college, and now we're feeling pretty good about getting our boy Justise Winslow to come along with us as well.

It's looking pretty good for that. We're, all three, really great friends and we've got a close bond so we all like the idea of playing together in college.

I've been keeping in touch with all of the coaches that are recruiting me pretty regularly. Now that I'm headed into my senior year it's interesting to see how the conversations are changing to official visit talk and things like that. I can really feel the intensity cranking up.

The coaches have been really straight-up with me and re-emphasizing why they think their school will benefit me and my family. It's a lot to take in at times, but I know this won't be an easy decision.

I've got a bunch of great options."

http://socialhub.usatodayhss.com/social-hub/blogs/item/398-the-tyus-jones-blog

Go Gophers!!

wish someone would ask him how Minnesota is still in play then?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i0rZM6WCwxM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video from HP league.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i0rZM6WCwxM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video from HP league.

I realize this is not germane, but Maverick looks like he's put on 15 pounds of muscle. Rodney, on the other hand, looks completely untoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom