Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Chicago last weekend visiting my friend who is a 2013 D1 basketball commit. I was talking to him about how I hoped MN would land our big three. And he asked who they were. I said Tyus first. And he goes, "Not happening, I'm really good friends with Jahlil and they are 99% sure that they are going to Duke." I've heard the same from a friend of Tyus as well. Obviously take it with a grain of salt because it only came from one of their close friends and not actually them.

I was in Chicago last weekend visiting my friend who is a 2013 D1 basketball commit. I was talking to him about how I hoped MN would land our big three. And he asked who they were. I said Tyus first. And he goes, "Not happening, I'm really good friends with Jahlil and they are 99% sure that they are going to Duke." I've heard the same from a friend of Tyus as well. Obviously take it with a grain of salt because it only came from one of their close friends and not actually them.

Thanks for sharing. I'd be pretty surprised if your friend doesn't end up being right.

per Shooter:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski's decision to return as U.S. Olympic men's basketball coach for 2016 in Rio de Janeiro would seem to work in Duke's favor in the recruiting of the Tyus Jones-Jahlil Okafor duo.

The pair of high school juniors -- Jones of Apple Valley and Okafor of Chicago -- intend to be teammates in college. They would be sophomores when the Olympics are held.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ers-expect-leaner-meaner-minnesota-twins-2015

Go Gophers!!

do you guys think tyus and jahlil will sign as free agents in the NBA on the same team after their rookie contracts expire? they could be the next lebron-dwade

do you guys think tyus and jahlil will sign as free agents in the NBA on the same team after their rookie contracts expire? they could be the next lebron-dwade

Have to prove themselves in the league first. Not that I doubt their abilities at all, because I sure as heck don't, but they could end up being the next Greg Oden and Jonny Flynn instead.

STrib: Catching up with Tyus Jones

When did Richard Pitino and Co. first reach out to you and how has that contact gone so far? He talked to me the same night he got the job, and I’ve just been talking to him every so often, just trying to build a relationship with him. It’s just a fresh start – it’s a little later than other schools, but I’m still considering them and just building a relationship and going from there.

Obviously, you have no shortage of attention around here – but to have him call you the night he got the job, that’s got to feel pretty good that he’s making you a clear priority. It meant a lot to know that’s what they were thinking about that early. It was pretty hectic, so I told him he didn’t need to feel like he needed to call me everyday as soon as he got the job and stuff like that. So like I said, we’re just building a relationship – it felt good because it was kind of crazy with how it all happened and I know he was super busy, and his dad was in the Final Four and all that and it’s always busy when you get a new job – I appreciate it a lot.

Is it strange to have a change in coaching (after former coach Tubby Smith was fired) in one of your final remaining schools? How did you handle that? It was crazy how it all went down. I wasn’t expecting coach Smith to be gone, but I think coach Pitino is a good hire for them and he’s excited and hungry to get going, so it’s not a negative by any means.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/209067781.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily: Tyus Jones feels out the new Gophers' staff

Jones likes the enthusiasm he’s seen from the new Gophers’ staff.

“(They’re) just hungry and excited to get going,” he said. “They’re challenged and new opportunities for them, so it’s exciting to see that they’re so into it and so passionate about it.”

Though the Gophers are included in Jones’ list of seven potential schools, he couldn’t say how high they ranked.

“I don’t really have an order with my list right now,” he said. “Everything’s just kind of wide open.”

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-further-review/2013/05/28/tyus-jones-feels-out-new-gophers-staff

Go Gophers!!

Cue the "He Ain't Coming Here Posts" in 3... 2... 1

MN Daily: Tyus Jones feels out the new Gophers' staff

Jones likes the enthusiasm he’s seen from the new Gophers’ staff.

“(They’re) just hungry and excited to get going,” he said. “They’re challenged and new opportunities for them, so it’s exciting to see that they’re so into it and so passionate about it.”

Though the Gophers are included in Jones’ list of seven potential schools, he couldn’t say how high they ranked.

“I don’t really have an order with my list right now,” he said. “Everything’s just kind of wide open.”

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-further-review/2013/05/28/tyus-jones-feels-out-new-gophers-staff

Go Gophers!!

"Can't you read between the lines- he ain't coming here. If Tyus were considering the Gophers, he would have said.... blah, blah, blah."

"Can't you read between the lines- he ain't coming here. If Tyus were considering the Gophers, he would have said.... blah, blah, blah."

It's so cut and dry. He and his buddy want to play together and it won't be here. He just doesn't want to be a dink to his home state and keeps them in the picture. I wish he would be that dink and just eliminate the Gophers now.

I can't read his mind but if he did rule out the Gophers it would certainly help Coach Pitino focus on other PG prospects for a full court press. For all we know, maybe Richard has already been told "it's not happening" by Tyus. From my perspective growing up and always wanting to wear the Maroon and Gold at Williams Arena, I wonder if Tyus really understands how special it could be to stay at home and be a God. His choice and I will respect it...I just will find it impossible to cheer for him as a loyal Gopher fan when he goes elsewhere.

Pitino has to know he has no chance on Tyus, I'm confident in that. I just wish Tyus would commit to Duke already and be done with it. I'm tired of him stringing along the hometown University just so he can make it appear that he gave us an honest look. Hopefully Rashad and Reid buy in to what Pitino is preaching and be the hometown hero's.

Pitino has to know he has no chance on Tyus, I'm confident in that. I just wish Tyus would commit to Duke already and be done with it. I'm tired of him stringing along the hometown University just so he can make it appear that he gave us an honest look. Hopefully Rashad and Reid buy in to what Pitino is preaching and be the hometown hero's.

Why can't he enjoy being wooed like all the other recruits? What does he owe any of us? He's handling this with nothing but class. Besides, the implication that you, or I, or anyone on this board is 100% certain he isn't coming here is laughable. Nobody can know that, even if it is unlikely.

(This post is less directed at you and more directed at everyone somehow implying that Tyus is doing something wrong in all this).

Both Pitino and Jones have a reason to keep this facade up. Jones doesn't want to be viewed as a traitor his senior season in high school. Pitino needs to look like he is strongly recruiting, arguably, the top recruit in the state.

Why can't he enjoy being wooed like all the other recruits? What does he owe any of us? He's handling this with nothing but class. Besides, the implication that you, or I, or anyone on this board is 100% certain he isn't coming here is laughable. Nobody can know that, even if it is unlikely.

(This post is less directed at you and more directed at everyone somehow implying that Tyus is doing something wrong in all this).
The deal with him going to the same school with a kid that's not even considering us leaves a bad taste in a fan's mouth. I mean not going to Minnesota is one thing but this charade that we are in this top seven when in reality it's a top six stinks. It's like Gopher fans are so stupid they wouldn"t figure out I'm going to college with Okafer and that isn't here. I'm sure he's a good kid but this pr move of having us on the list may actually bother fans more than him just going to Duke.

The deal with him going to the same school with a kid that's not even considering us leaves a bad taste in a fan's mouth. I mean not going to Minnesota is one thing but this charade that we are in this top seven when in reality it's a top six stinks. It's like Gopher fans are so stupid they wouldn"t figure out I'm going to college with Okafer and that isn't here. I'm sure he's a good kid but this pr move of having us on the list may actually bother fans more than him just going to Duke.

This is what I was trying to say originally, well said.

Yep, I think most fans are just ready for the charade to be over. It seems like every local interview is about how Minnesota is still being considered and that Pitino was a good hire for THEM. Then every interview with out of state media is all about how he is definitely going to team up with Okafor. It's almost like he doesn't think Gopher fans see any of the interviews he does with non-local media.

I'm not ready for the charade to be over. I want to be in the top 5... That will be a lot of fun!

I don't think Tyus will play for the Gophers, but I also don't think him saying he's considering us is a complete charade either. It may have been Okafor, but I'm pretty sure Tyus said in a recent interview that he is 99% sure they will be playing together in college. There's a reason he didn't say 100%. Things don't always go as planned and I think he's smart enough to realize that. What if it comes closer to their decision and Okafor views school A as the best fit for him and wants to go there, but Tyus views school B as the best fit and wants them to go there instead? What if they can't come to an agreement and eventually one of them just decides to commit somewhere? It's easy to say they're going to play together, but at some point they need to make a decision. I don't think their brains are going to be perfectly in sync in every aspect of their recruitment and there are plenty of potential scenarios that could lead to them playing at different schools. I'm not saying that Tyus would come here if that happens, but I fully believe that he would at least consider us if that turns out to be the case.

just wish Tyus would quit with the act. Insulting Gopher fans by saying "I AM PLAYING WITH OKAFOR IN COLLEGE!" and then saying "I'm considering Minnesota" while the Gophers aren't anywhere near Okafor's list. Just eliminate Minnesota, so all the fans/coaching staff can move on.

No one can blame him for going to Duke to play for Coach K, but to string the Gopher fans and coaches along is just stupid.

just wish Tyus would quit with the act. Insulting Gopher fans by saying "I AM PLAYING WITH OKAFOR IN COLLEGE!" and then saying "I'm considering Minnesota" while the Gophers aren't anywhere near Okafor's list. Just eliminate Minnesota, so all the fans/coaching staff can move on.

No one can blame him for going to Duke to play for Coach K, but to string the Gopher fans and coaches along is just stupid.

Couldn't have said it better. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he's being straight with Pitino so the coach can do his planning. I hope that's true, because I want to like the kid. Still, the charade is insulting to the fans of the teams that aren't really in the mix - especially Gopher fans who weren't born yesterday and can read all this package deal business in black and white.

I wonder if Illinois fans are saying the same types of things about Okafor showing interest in Illinois? I have to believe this happens a ton with top recruits, where they keep the home state school in the mix to the end. The only difference seems to be that rarely do you see two top guys come right out and say they want to play together. It's almost better this way (although I wish I felt he was considering the U more seriously than it seems) now that the blow should be softened as our expectations are lower as far as the chances we land him. I agree that he really owes nothing to anybody, and I think from his perspective he has little to gain by saying we are no longer in the running.

I wonder if Illinois fans are saying the same types of things about Okafor showing interest in Illinois? I have to believe this happens a ton with top recruits, where they keep the home state school in the mix to the end. The only difference seems to be that rarely do you see two top guys come right out and say they want to play together. It's almost better this way (although I wish I felt he was considering the U more seriously than it seems) now that the blow should be softened as our expectations are lower as far as the chances we land him. I agree that he really owes nothing to anybody, and I think from his perspective he has little to gain by saying we are no longer in the running.

I agree as long as he is straight with Coach Pitino.

Couldn't have said it better. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he's being straight with Pitino so the coach can do his planning. I hope that's true, because I want to like the kid. Still, the charade is insulting to the fans of the teams that aren't really in the mix - especially Gopher fans who weren't born yesterday and can read all this package deal business in black and white.

Personally, I have no problem with how he's handling it and don't see why he would do it any differently. Why eliminate options or burn bridges before you are ready to announce your decision? Also, why eliminate the school in the state you play in until the same time and have people on your case?

That said, I've never had my hopes up, and I will be shocked if he doesn't go to Duke. And I wouldn't blame him either. Awesome opportunity for the kid.

Personally, I have no problem with how he's handling it and don't see why he would do it any differently. Why eliminate options or burn bridges before you are ready to announce your decision? Also, why eliminate the school in the state you play in until the same time and have people on your case?

That said, I've never had my hopes up, and I will be shocked if he doesn't go to Duke. And I wouldn't blame him either. Awesome opportunity for the kid.

+1

Okafor's list trimmed to 8:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Okafor's list trimmed to 8:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Which confirms what we already knew and what we've thought about Tyus the whole time, that Minnesota won't be in the picture. Tyus' mom and himself said he's for sure going to college with Jahlil. Best of luck to both of them! Jahlil is a really nice guy. I hope they do well!

Which confirms what we already knew and what we've thought about Tyus the whole time, that Minnesota won't be in the picture. Tyus' mom and himself said he's for sure going to college with Jahlil. Best of luck to both of them! Jahlil is a really nice guy. I hope they do well!

I hope they end up in the Big Ten.

Now someone in our piss poor media needs to ask Tyus if he is going to play with Okafor, how he is still considering the Gophers. We are officially not in play with Okafor at all (not that we really ever were).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom