Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? So we can boo the pi$$ out of Tyus when he comes to the barn?

I don't boo players, especially college players.

If Tyus won't play for the Gophers, the next best thing is to see him play against the Gophers.

He will mean the same to me as Jordan Taylor did or Isiah Dahlman did. I could care less how their careers go.. He will end up at Duke and if he does decide to stay home, home will be Mich State. Personally I hope he's the next Adam Boone.

He will mean the same to me as Jordan Taylor did or Isiah Dahlman did. I could care less how their careers go.. He will end up at Duke and if he does decide to stay home, home will be Mich State. Personally I hope he's the next Adam Boone.

Well if you could care less, than that means you at least care a little bit. :)

You are either not a Gopher fan or an idiot. Or related to Tyus.

I've been a Gopher fan quite a bit longer than you have, son. I've seen many players that we wanted to stay home go elsewhere. You learn to get over it.

If the kid makes the decision to go else where, do you not want the chance to beat him and his squad?

You might want to graduate to adulthood and not be bitter when an 18-year decides to not go to your favorite school. You'll be better for it.

I've been a Gopher fan quite a bit longer than you have, son. I've seen many players that we wanted to stay home go elsewhere. You learn to get over it.

If the kid makes the decision to go else where, do you not want the chance to beat him and his squad?

You might want to graduate to adulthood and not be bitter when an 18-year decides to not go to your favorite school. You'll be better for it.

You said "next best thing." Next best thing to Tyus coming here is him not hurting our 2014-2015 season, or at least as little as possible. Tyus staying in the conference is about as bad as it gets for us. I don't know why you would want the best player in the country to have the opportunity to give us 2, 3, or even 4 losses in one season. Hopefully it's Minnesota or Duke. Those are the 2 best situations for us, with the first being much, much, much better. Obviously.

+1

I wonder if Illinois fans are saying the same types of things about Okafor showing interest in Illinois? I have to believe this happens a ton with top recruits, where they keep the home state school in the mix to the end. The only difference seems to be that rarely do you see two top guys come right out and say they want to play together. It's almost better this way (although I wish I felt he was considering the U more seriously than it seems) now that the blow should be softened as our expectations are lower as far as the chances we land him. I agree that he really owes nothing to anybody, and I think from his perspective he has little to gain by saying we are no longer in the running.

The consensus among Illinois fans seems to be that they are resigned to not getting Tyus and so they concede that they are also highly likely to not get Okafor. The general sentiment after Okafor released his top-8 which included Illinois was they were glad to be on his list even though he wasn't going to pick them, glad for the continued mention to help build their reputation among recruits.

The consensus among Illinois fans seems to be that they are resigned to not getting Tyus and so they concede that they are also highly likely to not get Okafor. The general sentiment after Okafor released his top-8 which included Illinois was they were glad to be on his list even though he wasn't going to pick them, glad for the continued mention to help build their reputation among recruits.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9322928

"Jahlil went back to the drawing board, looked at his recruiting, talked to his dad and family," Irvin said. "After looking at everything, looking at the style of play, the great job coach [John] Groce has done at Illinois, he could see himself playing at Illinois.

"They definitely have a legitimate shot at getting him. Jahlil, he's really taking his recruiting seriously and has analyzed a few things in the past couple weeks. Every school on the list he's serious about going to."

Illinois is also recruiting Okafor's club teammate, Chicago Curie junior power forward Cliff Alexander, who is ranked No. 8 by ESPN. Irvin said Okafor and Alexander could end up together at Illinois.

"I could see that," Irvin said. "I could see them playing for the state school. I think they're the two best players in the country, period."

Who isn't Okafor going to play with??

I've heard he's starting his own university with his buddies.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9322928

"Jahlil went back to the drawing board, looked at his recruiting, talked to his dad and family," Irvin said. "After looking at everything, looking at the style of play, the great job coach [John] Groce has done at Illinois, he could see himself playing at Illinois.

"They definitely have a legitimate shot at getting him. Jahlil, he's really taking his recruiting seriously and has analyzed a few things in the past couple weeks. Every school on the list he's serious about going to."

Illinois is also recruiting Okafor's club teammate, Chicago Curie junior power forward Cliff Alexander, who is ranked No. 8 by ESPN. Irvin said Okafor and Alexander could end up together at Illinois.

"I could see that," Irvin said. "I could see them playing for the state school. I think they're the two best players in the country, period."

Who isn't Okafor going to play with??

Defeatist Attitude

You said "next best thing." Next best thing to Tyus coming here is him not hurting our 2014-2015 season, or at least as little as possible. Tyus staying in the conference is about as bad as it gets for us. I don't know why you would want the best player in the country to have the opportunity to give us 2, 3, or even 4 losses in one season. Hopefully it's Minnesota or Duke. Those are the 2 best situations for us, with the first being much, much, much better. Obviously.

It is this sort of defeatist attitude that tells a recruit to go elsewhere. I say bring it on. Our squad had better not roll over and let one player lead to defeat. If Tyus wants to spurn his hometown university and join one of our rivals to boot, he had better be prepared for some treatment from those MN kids who do choose to go to the U. They will be gunning for Mr. #1.

I am sure whoever is recruited in the class of '14 as our point guard of the future will feel the same way. They will be sick of the comparisons and ready to prove that they are better- at least on that game day.

I wish Tyus would just drop us from his list already. Jahlil and him are bff's and are not going to be playing together here. Hopefully the Gophers staff are focusing more effort on Kaleb Joseph than Tyus.

About the "I hope he plays in our conference" or "I hope he doesn't" business, I would definitely rather he did because a. We have a chance to beat him and show him what he missed out on and b. I want to have a chance to see him live even if he doesn't come here

I wish Tyus would just drop us from his list already. Jahlil and him are bff's and are not going to be playing together here. Hopefully the Gophers staff are focusing more effort on Kaleb Joseph than Tyus.

That's what I have been saying....Jahlil and Tyus are joined at the hip and we know there is no way in h@ll that Jahlil is coming here. I would hope Pitino puts all his time into Travis and Vaughn and does not put more than a phone call into Tyus.

Sounds like Okafer's family isn't quite as in love with Jones and Jones's family id with Okafer. Alexander and him as the best two in the country, with no mention of his bff and Rival's #2 player in the country, Jones?

Sounds like Okafor's family isn't quite as in love with Jones and Jones's family id with Okafor. Alexander and him as the best two in the country, with no mention of his bff and Rival's #2 player in the country, Jones?

I think you may be right. Tyus' mom posting a pic with him an Jahlil and posting the caption "Future Teammates" almost makes it seem like she's pushing for it to happen. If Tyus wants to go to Duke, he doesn't need Jahlil to be playing with him to be on one of the top teams in the country. Same could be said of most of the schools on his list.

What....do kids need to hold each others hands in order to go to college to play basketball now???

Because friends can't do things together, like visit colleges? Do you understand what friendship is? Christ, these kids are 17...

Sounds like Okafer's family isn't quite as in love with Jones and Jones's family id with Okafer. Alexander and him as the best two in the country, with no mention of his bff and Rival's #2 player in the country, Jones?

The quote was from Okafor's AAU coach not his family. He is also Alexander's coach so I wouldn't really read anything into that.

2 points:

1. If Baylor (BAYLOR!) ends up with Tyus and Okafor, I hope the NCAA finally gets around to investigating $cott Drew

2. If Tyus does't choose Minnesota, I really hope he ends up at Kentucky, Duke or another traditional power. If Tyus ends up at another B1G school, he blazes a trail for other Minnesota kids to choose that school. MSU, due to their style of recruiting, will likely offer more Minnesota kids than Kentucky, Duke, etc ever will. The Gophers will always have to fight off traditional powers (even if they become a power themselves) for the very top kids. It's the guys at the national top 50-100 ish type level who they need to be able to land with regularity. MSU will be after those kids from the Midwest (and Minnesota specifically) more often than the Duke's/UNC's of the world. I'd rather Tyus help Kentucky to another title and enjoy him in the NBA after a year or two than have to root against him at B1G school. I can't stand Duke, and I'd still rather have him commit there than MSU (and I like Izzo and his program).

About the "I hope he plays in our conference" or "I hope he doesn't" business, I would definitely rather he did because a. We have a chance to beat him and show him what he missed out on and b. I want to have a chance to see him live even if he doesn't come here

Once Jones commits elsewhere he'll be dead to me, and I won't care if he's playing at Duke or on Rigel 12. I don't give a crap about Nick Horvath, and he's an alumnus of our local high school.

Once Jones commits elsewhere he'll be dead to me, and I won't care if he's playing at Duke or on Rigel 12. I don't give a crap about Nick Horvath, and he's an alumnus of our local high school.

He'll live on forever on Gopherhole.

I think Gopherholers have already started loving to hate Tyus. I can't disagree with the idea if he, Jahlil, and Justice go somewhere else. And if Tyus is really considering Baylor over Minnesota...
He must have been brainwashed. Our campus, academics, and students don't even compare to Baylor. And oh, our basketball team is better in addition. But more power to him for official visiting Baylor...

I think Gopherholers have already started loving to hate Tyus. I can't disagree with the idea if he, Jahlil, and Justice go somewhere else. And if Tyus is really considering Baylor over Minnesota...
He must have been brainwashed. Our campus, academics, and students don't even compare to Baylor. And oh, our basketball team is better in addition. But more power to him for official visiting Baylor...

Not anymore.

Personally I hope he's the next Adam Boone.

Me too. Although Adam Boone went to another school to start, he played at the "U" and I was incredibly impressed with him every time I heard him interviewed. Never met him, but I think he is a 100% solid guy. So, yeah, I would love it if Tyus turned into "the next Adam Boone".

That's what I have been saying....Jahlil and Tyus are joined at the hip and we know there is no way in h@ll that Jahlil is coming here. I would hope Pitino puts all his time into Travis and Vaughn and does not put more than a phone call into Tyus.

This reminds me of one of those SAT-type questions: "Tyus and Jahlil play basketball. Tyus will play on Jahlil's team. Jahlil will not be a Gopher. Therefor, will Tyus be a Gopher?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom