Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's most likely 4-8 months away from a committment. I doubt he'll start buying on a schools he has no interest in just because his buddy wants him to come play for them.

I'm no recruiting expert, but normally when a player has no interest in the school, he won't commit there a half a year later, especially with the state our program is in.

Not that I think we have a good shot at Okafor, but I thought Andre Hollins committed here just three or four months after showing up on our radar.

+1. Tyus wouldn't sell Minnesota to Jahlil unless it was his #1. Right now, based off stories that may or may not be true, it seems like his top three in no order is Duke, Kentucky, and Michigan State. I also remember reading (in this thread maybe?) that Okafor is more of the guy leading the way on their decision than Tyus.

I thought Tyus tried to get Okafor to take a visit to Minnesota with him.

CP3 70, Howard Pulley 66
2014 PG Tyus Jones (HP): 38 points, 6 assists, 4 steals, 14/22 FGs

You really think the #1 ranked 2014 player would worry about a 2015 player who might go to the same school?

MSU is considered the favorite by some to get 2014 5* frontcourt player Cliff Alexander, which may cause Okafor to cross them off his list which may cause Jones to go somewhere else even though he loves MSU.

From everything I've read, I'd guess Duke and MSU are the top 2 for Jones, not necessarily in that order. I tend to hope he goes his separate way from Okafor, because I think OSU actually would have a shot at Okafor if not for Jones pushing him another direction. MSU is considered the favorite by some to get 2014 5* frontcourt player Cliff Alexander, which may cause Okafor to cross them off his list which may cause Jones to go somewhere else even though he loves MSU. And Duke having Wojo (former Duke floor-slapping G) as the position coach for the big men makes it tough for them to land quality bigs, plus I believe Collins who just went to NW was recruiting Okafor for Duke.

But Duke has never struggled to get great PG recruits, and Jones does seem to me like a Duke-style PG in the sense that he is very talented but may nevertheless play 3-4 years in college. Playing behind a more experienced player like Quinn Cook for your frosh season, and with Coach K's short bench his coaching tendencies may manage to hold a guy like Jones back from going pro somewhat. His passing seems to be his best attribute while his scoring a work in progress to some extent.
Alexander is 2014 and they're already on the same AAU team.

If he ends up at MSU I will have a very, very tough time rooting for him to do well. Just saying...

I go to school with Jake Wright. Who plays on the same AAU team and is also pretty good friends with Jones. I've talked to him a few times about Tyus and before Pitino, whenever I asked Wright about the chance of Minnesota landing him, he would say, "I think is starting to write them off," and things to that nature. Then recently I had a conversation with Jake (after the hire) about Tyus and he seemed pretty excited. Wright was saying how Jones thinks he would be a good fit in the fast-paced system and how Jones liked the confidence and energy of Pitino.

I know it's not too reliable of a source or very interesting. Just thought I'd share.

I go to school with Jake Wright. Who plays on the same AAU team and is also pretty good friends with Jones. I've talked to him a few times about Tyus and before Pitino, whenever I asked Wright about the chance of Minnesota landing him, he would say, "I think is starting to write them off," and things to that nature. Then recently I had a conversation with Jake (after the hire) about Tyus and he seemed pretty excited. Wright was saying how Jones thinks he would be a good fit in the fast-paced system and how Jones liked the confidence and energy of Pitino.

I know it's not too reliable of a source or very interesting. Just thought I'd share.

Appreciate the insight.

Much better post

I love updates like this, even if they are unreliable. Thanks for the post.

I love updates like this, even if they are unreliable. Thanks for the post.

Same. Worst case scenario (yet entertaining) is a guy like RichmondInsider. Best case scenario is that Carlos guy from Blue Earth.

Rivals: Jones' list down to seven, but won't tip hand:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1499350

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. -- Five-star point guard Tyus Jones says his list is down to seven. No favorites, no leaders, no one school ahead of or behind another; he's just down to those seven.

Yet according to Twitterverse, the rumor mill and the recruiting blogs, his list of seven is just posturing for now. Duke, they all say, is his leader.

"That's not true," Jones promised at last weekend's EYBL event in Los Angeles. "A lot of people are talking and stuff like that, but I'm not leaning anywhere."

Jones swears he's not lying. His list of Michigan State, Duke, Baylor, Ohio State, Kansas, Kentucky and Minnesota is steadfast, and nobody is standing out right now.

It seems strange that after all this time he still has seven schools on 'equal footing'.

Thanks for sharing. I don't think it's a reach that Richard has impressed Jones and at least gotten his attention. I like the recruiting approach. It reminds me of when I was looking for a job after college - I was really interested in what I was going to be doing and how I fit into their plans. When you can envision yourself being there and performing there...well, visualization is half the battle.

Thats because they're not but he's smart enough not to say that

Very true. Clearly he has leaders in his own mind but I also don't think he has truly eliminated anyone on his list either. In terms of Minnesota while it is probably pretty unlikely he actually ends up here on some level he still sees the U as a viable option. If he didn't he would narrow his list and take us off it.

STrib: After splitting up, state's Big 3 prep basketball players to meet on AAU stage Saturday

“I feel like he would have been just fine,” Jones said. “But there is no controversy. It’s the best situation for him.”

Fans will get to see the trio play on the same court for the first time Saturday in the Nike circuit’s second session in Hampton, Va. Playground Elite and Howard Pulley are scheduled to play at 10 a.m. CDT.

“I want it to be exciting. It’s Reid, Tyus and me, the Big Three. Everyone is going to amp it up,” Vaughn said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/204956071.html

Go Gophers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom