Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courier Journal: Recruiting Insider | Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor extend package deal

The long-held plan of Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor to attend the same college remains in effect and as strong as ever. Now Cliff Alexander says he’d like to be included and five-star Houston guard Justise Winslow could be, too.

Alexander, a powerful 6-foot-9 post player from Chicago, said after an evening game on Saturday in the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League that odds are “7 in 10” that in college he’ll play with Okafor, the nation’s top junior center; Jones, one of its best point guards; and Winslow, a dynamic perimeter player.

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...lil-Okafor-extend-package-deal?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Lexington Herald Leader: Could 2014 targets Jones, Mudiay be UK's next Wall-Bledsoe combo?

The morning after UK lost to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT, Calipari showed up in Minneapolis to see Jones play in his state tournament.

That visit didn't go unnoticed.

"It meant a lot to me," Jones said. "It was good to see him at my game, especially after them ending their season. It shows a lot that he would show up the next morning. All the coaches are very busy and they all have hectic schedules, so any time they can come up and visit you, it's a good feeling."

The head coaches from Duke, Michigan State, Ohio State, Kansas and Baylor stopped by last week for in-home visits with Jones. New Minnesota coach Richard Pitino couldn't, because the previous Gophers staff had used up all of their visits.

That made Calipari the only one who could have made the trip, but didn't.

"I was a little bit (surprised)," Jones said. "Just because every other school came in."

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/04/29/2620106/could-2014-targets-jones-mudiay.html

Go Gophers!!

If Jones wants to play with Jahlil, Winslow, and Alexander, there's only one place it could be at: Kentucky. However, he may choose that it's not in his best interest to play with all of them.

Since there isn't a chance in hell that Okafor is coming here, Jones should just end the charade and announce that the Gophers are off his list. I understand wanting to be respectful, but claiming that he might wait to see how Pitino does is just a little much.

This is becoming a mess. I don't even want to think about this kid anymore.

I hate to say this but a school like Kentucky that that whores out for "one-and-dones" will be impossible to beat. I still can't believe that a kid as bright as Tyus would form this pact but I guess he wants to"follow the gold". I don't blame him but wish he had more allegiance to the home team and wanted the challenge to carve out his own destiny. I will support him always unless he chooses MSU.

Courier Journal: Recruiting Insider | Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor extend package deal

The long-held plan of Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor to attend the same college remains in effect and as strong as ever. Now Cliff Alexander says he’d like to be included and five-star Houston guard Justise Winslow could be, too.

Alexander, a powerful 6-foot-9 post player from Chicago, said after an evening game on Saturday in the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League that odds are “7 in 10” that in college he’ll play with Okafor, the nation’s top junior center; Jones, one of its best point guards; and Winslow, a dynamic perimeter player.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130428/SPORTS11/304280117/Recruiting-Insider-Tyus-Jones-Jahlil-Okafor-extend-package-deal?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Are they going to have a prime time TV special on espnu to announce where they are taking their talents?

People are taking these packages way too seriously. Let's wait and see what happens. I don't think the odds of this 4-player package are very high.

Also, what do people expect Tyus to say? He's not going out of his way to mention that he's going to play with player x. It seems like other players are the ones who really bring up the idea of playing together. I haven't noticed Tyus bringing up the idea without being asked about it. I don't think he's going to go out of his way to say he doesn't really care if he plays with them or not when they ask questions like, "Are you still planning on playing with player x."

People are taking these packages way too seriously. Let's wait and see what happens. I don't think the odds of this 4-player package are very high.

Also, what do people expect Tyus to say? He's not going out of his way to mention that he's going to play with player x. It seems like other players are the ones who really bring up the idea of playing together. I haven't noticed Tyus bringing up the idea without being asked about it. I don't think he's going to go out of his way to say he doesn't really care if he plays with them or not when they ask questions like, "Are you still planning on playing with player x."

Exactly. All that would do is upset his friend(s). Of course he's going to say he wants to play with them. Doesn't mean it's for sure going to happen. Let's allow things to play out.

The bad news is I think we've pretty much lost out on Tyus. The good news is that I have never been more confident that we'll land Reid and Vaughn. In Pitino We Trust.

The bad news is I think we've pretty much lost out on Tyus. The good news is that I have never been more confident that we'll land Reid and Vaughn. In Pitino We Trust.

I really don't think things have changed with Jones, I figure he has always been a long shot, as unlikely as it is I think we still have a shot, i wouldn't raise my expectations very high on signing him though.

I really don't think things have changed with Jones, I figure he has always been a long shot, as unlikely as it is I think we still have a shot, i wouldn't raise my expectations very high on signing him though.

Agreed.

And if the package is now 4, UK is truly the ONLY option. Maybe Duke, but I'd guess UK.

The only person Tyus has said he wants to play with is Okafor. These other guys sound more like they are just trying to latch on to them IMO. I don't blame Tyus either. I don't think it says anything about his maturity, insecurity, etc. I just think he wants to play with a guy he is really good friends with and probably really likes playing with. No biggie at all. Only reason we care is because Okafor doesn't seem high on MN. Which still could change too with a new staff. Who knows. Just let it play out and lets not freak out at every little article and wish Tyus the best wherever he goes (unless it is Wisconsin) in all games expect against the Gophers.

And if Tyus does go elsewhere and we end up with Vaughn. I'd be pretty happy with that. They are both extraordinary players.

Since there isn't a chance in hell that Okafor is coming here, Jones should just end the charade and announce that the Gophers are off his list. I understand wanting to be respectful, but claiming that he might wait to see how Pitino does is just a little much.
Pulling a Sentrel Henderson charade. Thought he was a class kid but I don't care for the game he seems to be playing. I usually have unrealistic optimism regarding the Gophers but I don't see anyway he goes to the U.

Pitino is smart enough to realize what we are all realizing about Tyus. I'm sure there has been some very honest dialogue between the two about Tyus wanting to play with Okafor and Okafor's seeming lack of interest in the U. Pitino can put 2 and 2 together and I'm sure he's asked Tyus about it. My guess is that Tyus keeps us on the list just in case things fall through between him and Jahlil, and that he has actually told Pitino this, but doesn't want to go public with it. I can't really blame him in that regard. Of course this is all speculation, but that's what my gut is telling me.

Dave Telep:

The beauty of Tyus Jones

The stat line, for a player of his stature, blew no one away: 22 points, 7-for-13 field goals, 1-for-4 on 3-pointers, 7-for-8 from the line, four rebounds, four assists and two turnovers. Having seen No. 1 junior point guard Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley) dozens of times before, those numbers from one of Jones' games this past weekend at the Nike EYBL in Hampton, Va., don't move me.

But I was there for the game, and what I saw was amazing. And that's the difference with Jones.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...on-eybl-notes-more-basketball-recruiting-buzz

Go Gophers!!

He looked good in the state tournament but he didn't amaze me in any way. He doesn't look like a cinch NBA player imo. He must be an AAU god. But the Dave Teleps of the world know more about it than I do..

I hate to say this but a school like Kentucky that that whores out for "one-and-dones" will be impossible to beat. I still can't believe that a kid as bright as Tyus would form this pact but I guess he wants to"follow the gold". I don't blame him but wish he had more allegiance to the home team and wanted the challenge to carve out his own destiny. I will support him always unless he chooses MSU.

:rolleyes: You're being ridiculous. How is Tyus any less "bright" because he wants to play with his friends in college? That's just an asinine comment.

I think Tyus has handled his recruitment very well. He is bombarded with questions about his school options daily. Every comment is scrutinized. He has a good friend and they have talked about playing basketball together in college. Why is that a bad thing? The Gophers recruited Alvin Ellis and Alex Foster before Tubby left. The Gophers were recruiting Gavin Schilling and one of the factors that Gopher fans hoped would influence his decision to attend MN was that he had played with Ellis and Foster. Schilling decided to attend Michigan State. Tyus has a big decision to make and at this point he indicates he likes what he sees in Coach Pitino and wants to learn more. Why he is being vilified on this board by some posters is beyond my comprehension.

Whether we get him or not, it will be kind of nice when Tyus commits/signs so we don't have to discuss his recruiting any more.

I think Tyus has handled his recruitment very well. He is bombarded with questions about his school options daily. Every comment is scrutinized. He has a good friend and they have talked about playing basketball together in college. Why is that a bad thing? The Gophers recruited Alvin Ellis and Alex Foster before Tubby left. The Gophers were recruiting Gavin Schilling and one of the factors that Gopher fans hoped would influence his decision to attend MN was that he had played with Ellis and Foster. Schilling decided to attend Michigan State. Tyus has a big decision to make and at this point he indicates he likes what he sees in Coach Pitino and wants to learn more. Why he is being vilified on this board by some posters is beyond my comprehension.

Well said. I think some people just don't think we're going to get him so they're forcing this attitude of "I don't want him anyway," so it's less disappointing if he does in fact go elsewhere. Pretty ridiculous though.

@gopherhole: A long time Minnesota AAU coach told us today that "5 weeks ago the #Gophers had no shot at the Big 3, now any combination is possible."

Go Gophers!!

@gopherhole: A long time Minnesota AAU coach told us today that "5 weeks ago the #Gophers had no shot at the Big 3, now any combination is possible."

Go Gophers!!

That would certainly seem to flow with the way things have been shaping up the past few weeks. Tyus still seems like the biggest longshot of the bunch but until he says we're out no reason not to hold onto some small sliver of hope that he ends up here.

Whether we get him or not, it will be kind of nice when Tyus commits/signs so we don't have to discuss his recruiting any more.

For one, you don't have to discuss it. Secondly, I agree with CDH27 about the vilification of Tyus with some of the people here. Too much jeering and not enough cheering. It's ridiculous to insinuate that any young man's character is defined by whether or not he chooses to play for the Gophers. Cross your fingers, hope for the best, and root for whoever ends up signing. Go Gophers!

For one, you don't have to discuss it. Secondly, I agree with CDH27 about the vilification of Tyus with some of the people here. Too much jeering and not enough cheering. It's ridiculous to insinuate that any young man's character is defined by whether or not he chooses to play for the Gophers. Cross your fingers, hope for the best, and root for whoever ends up signing. Go Gophers!

I've never said anything negative about Tyus. I just get sick of the super pessimistic people arguing with the super optimistic people. That is all this thread has nowadays. It will be refreshing when everyone can move on for better or worse.

Considering UK has a the #2 center, #5 overall from the class of 2014, 7'-1" Karl Towns Jr. committed, why would Okafor go there?

Not saying he'll go there, but Towns and Okafor have differing styles of play and could coexist on the same team. If he wants to win a championship, it wouldn't be a bad choice. Having said that, I hope he goes somewhere else.

There appears to be one reason players go to Kentucky, play one year of college basketball and showcase their skills for the NBA.

Well, the prepaid $200K debit cards don't hurt UK's case, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom