Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PP; (charley-walters)

With coaches Richard Pitino of Minnesota, Tom Izzo of Michigan State and Mike Krzyzewski of Duke watching, Apple Valley junior point guard Tyus Jones scored 18 points with 12 assists in the Pulley Panthers' 73-62 victory over Athletes First in their opening game of an elite Nike tournament in Anaheim, Calif., on Friday, April 19.

Athletes First is based in Oklahoma and is the AAU team for which L.A. Clippers star Blake Griffin used to play.

Minnesota, Michigan State and Duke all are in the hunt for Jones. Another nationally recruited Minnesota high school junior, 6-foot-7 Reid Travis of DeLaSalle, scored 21 points with 13 rebounds for the Panthers. DeLaSalle 6-0 sophomore Jarvis Johnson had 11 points and six rebounds, including four highlight dunks.
http://www.twincities.com/vikings/c...rs-schedule-points-minnesota-vikings-toward-9

PP; (charley-walters)

With coaches Richard Pitino of Minnesota, Tom Izzo of Michigan State and Mike Krzyzewski of Duke watching, Apple Valley junior point guard Tyus Jones scored 18 points with 12 assists in the Pulley Panthers' 73-62 victory over Athletes First in their opening game of an elite Nike tournament in Anaheim, Calif., on Friday, April 19.

Athletes First is based in Oklahoma and is the AAU team for which L.A. Clippers star Blake Griffin used to play.

Minnesota, Michigan State and Duke all are in the hunt for Jones. Another nationally recruited Minnesota high school junior, 6-foot-7 Reid Travis of DeLaSalle, scored 21 points with 13 rebounds for the Panthers. DeLaSalle 6-0 sophomore Jarvis Johnson had 11 points and six rebounds, including four highlight dunks.
http://www.twincities.com/vikings/c...rs-schedule-points-minnesota-vikings-toward-9

Ryan James @RyanJamesMN 14h
Rashad Vaughn shot 7-18 scoring 16pts, with 8rbs and 4 asts in Playground Elite win over Seattle Rotary.
View details · Reply RT Fav More
Ryan James @RyanJamesMN 14h
Georgia Stars beat Howard Pulley 69-65. Reid Travis was 8-13 from the field for 21pts, 7rbs. Tyus Jones shot 2-7 and scored 7 with 9 assists
View details · Reply RT Fav More

+2

How awesome would that be, Rashad and Reid with Minnesota playing Okafor and Tyus in the NCAA Tournament and showing him that he couldve stayed home and been apart of something special!

By the way, Tyus scored 38 in a loss today.

My question is, even if he is really good, would he really make a program like the Gophers so much better?

He has Reid Travis and Jarvis Johnson on Pulley with him, and his team is only 1-3... It's not like he's making Pulley some great winning squad.

My question is, even if he is really good, would he really make a program like the Gophers so much better?

He has Reid Travis and Jarvis Johnson on Pulley with him, and his team is only 1-3... It's not like he's making Pulley some great winning squad.

His team won state........

The EYBL has some unreal talent you should watch when they come to Minneapolis in a month.

The EYBL has some unreal talent you should watch when they come to Minneapolis in a month.

Not that I agree with the post you were quoting, but that elite talent in the EYBL is who his competition will be in college. He will probably be playing against a lot of the same kids.

Not that I agree with the post you were quoting, but that elite talent in the EYBL is who his competition will be in college. He will probably be playing against a lot of the same kids.

He'll be playing with better players too. His argument is irrelevant because he won the state championship.

Yes.

Tyus put up 20 & 8 (assists) per game this weekend; eFG% was excellent with that big fourth game against CP3.

Summarized stats for Tyus, Reid & Rashad from this weekend.

Tyus would make anyone and any team better.

But how can that be true when he's so mentally weak!?!?! (Sarcasm- please see above for why).

I heard that all three were very impressive this weekend. I really hope we can land one or more of them.

But how can that be true when he's so mentally weak!?!?! (Sarcasm- please see above for why).

I heard that all three were very impressive this weekend. I really hope we can land one or more of them.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

In the end I'm sure this thread will blow away the infamous Shaka Smart thread fueled by Richmond Insider but with the same results. Just like Shaka was not coming here, neither is Tyus Jones. Ever since 8th grade when it was reported that his dream was to play for Izzo, the University of Minnesota has been a longshot at best. Certainly he was taken aback by the interest of Coach K, and the player development he has demonstrated at Duke, so that school may be a possibility (as they are also a serious contendor for Okafor) but there is no way Tyus is coming here. No way. Say what you want but I think its time we quit the 80+ page thread arguing how he might fit in this program or even contemplate coming here. Time to face reality and move on folks...

Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley)
2014, PG, 6-1, 180
Club Team: Howard Pulley
Status: Duke, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Kansas, Baylor and Kentucky.
His jump shot isn't as consistent as you would expect from the nation’s top-ranked floor general and he isn't a blur either, but oh my, can he pass. His vision and feel are uncanny and he manages a game with aplomb. He is the best point guard right now, but others are coming fast.

In the end I'm sure this thread will blow away the infamous Shaka Smart thread fueled by Richmond Insider but with the same results. Just like Shaka was not coming here, neither is Tyus Jones. Ever since 8th grade when it was reported that his dream was to play for Izzo, the University of Minnesota has been a longshot at best. Certainly he was taken aback by the interest of Coach K, and the player development he has demonstrated at Duke, so that school may be a possibility (as they are also a serious contendor for Okafor) but there is no way Tyus is coming here. No way. Say what you want but I think its time we quit the 80+ page thread arguing how he might fit in this program or even contemplate coming here. Time to face reality and move on folks...

I totally agree. He would fit in really well here. I also agree with you that we have a very good shot at landing him. Sure would be fun to continue to cheer for the hometown prodigy. You are right about that!

Until he crosses MN off his list you recruit the heck out of him. To do anything less would be negligent on the part of the coaching staff. You plan for the likelihood that he ends up somewhere else but you still do anything and everything to get him here. Will he almost certainly end up playing for Duke or Michigan State....yep....but until he makes the decision final you go after him.

If Pitino can get a late summer Vaughn commitment, that would have to make Okafor/Tyus take a second look. Rashad is the #1 shooting guard in the class, going by this year's Kentucky class, the #1 at each position want to play together.....

Not saying it's wrong. It's just a psychological marker of weakness. Players can be weak of mind and still be very good (look at 75% of Duke's players over the last decade). Girls having to go the bathroom together IS ALWAYS a lack of confidence and thus a sign of mental weakness.

If I were smarter I would just leave this alone. But . . .

What percentage of young people are mentally weak? And what percentage of adults are mentally weak?

Oh god, I went to the EYBL last year and the talent is unreal! Almost every major recruit in America plays in the circuit. I'm just wondering how he would make the gophers an instant Elite 8 contender or whatever when his team is 1-3 so far and they haven't even played Mac Irvin, Meanstreets, Expression Elite, and other top teams in the EYBL yet.

Contrary, Rashad has lead his Wisconsin Playground Elite team to a 3-1 start with a similar statured team.

If Pitino can get a late summer Vaughn commitment, that would have to make Okafor/Tyus take a second look. Rashad is the #1 shooting guard in the class, going by this year's Kentucky class, the #1 at each position want to play together.....

Rashad has said he won't commit during the summer and instead sometime during his senior season. But yeah, I agree Rashad is a huge catalyst for the rest of the targets.

And btw, Okafor isn't even considering Minnesota right now... I wouldn't even think about him coming here moving forward.

If Pitino can get a late summer Vaughn commitment, that would have to make Okafor/Tyus take a second look.

Nope. No way Okafor takes a look at Minnesota.

IF Tyus chooses to play in college with Jahlil, it won't be at Minnesota. We could make the Elite 8 next year, and Okafor wouldn't even begin to consider us.

Nope. No way Okafor takes a look at Minnesota.

IF Tyus chooses to play in college with Jahlil, it won't be at Minnesota. We could make the Elite 8 next year, and Okafor wouldn't even begin to consider us.
Tyus could sell him. 17 years old means things can change.

Tyus could sell him. 17 years old means things can change.

He's most likely 4-8 months away from a committment. I doubt he'll start buying on a schools he has no interest in just because his buddy wants him to come play for them.

I'm no recruiting expert, but normally when a player has no interest in the school, he won't commit there a half a year later, especially with the state our program is in.

Finally someone else that realizes this.

From everything I've read, I'd guess Duke and MSU are the top 2 for Jones, not necessarily in that order. I tend to hope he goes his separate way from Okafor, because I think OSU actually would have a shot at Okafor if not for Jones pushing him another direction. MSU is considered the favorite by some to get 2014 5* frontcourt player Cliff Alexander, which may cause Okafor to cross them off his list which may cause Jones to go somewhere else even though he loves MSU. And Duke having Wojo (former Duke floor-slapping G) as the position coach for the big men makes it tough for them to land quality bigs, plus I believe Collins who just went to NW was recruiting Okafor for Duke.

But Duke has never struggled to get great PG recruits, and Jones does seem to me like a Duke-style PG in the sense that he is very talented but may nevertheless play 3-4 years in college. Playing behind a more experienced player like Quinn Cook for your frosh season, and with Coach K's short bench his coaching tendencies may manage to hold a guy like Jones back from going pro somewhat. His passing seems to be his best attribute while his scoring a work in progress to some extent.

He's most likely 4-8 months away from a committment. I doubt he'll start buying on a schools he has no interest in just because his buddy wants him to come play for them.

I'm no recruiting expert, but normally when a player has no interest in the school, he won't commit there a half a year later, especially with the state our program is in.

+1. Tyus wouldn't sell Minnesota to Jahlil unless it was his #1. Right now, based off stories that may or may not be true, it seems like his top three in no order is Duke, Kentucky, and Michigan State. I also remember reading (in this thread maybe?) that Okafor is more of the guy leading the way on their decision than Tyus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom