Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danielle Orten played about 5 minutes per game at Kentucky. He left after his freshman year and was picked in the first round.

If Tyus wanted to be, he could easily be one and done.

Difference is Orten was a physically ready nba body and tyus is a 6 foot skinny kid. Definitely not a one and done IMHO.

From that blog:

"I talked to my boy Jahlil (Okafor) after the visits to compare how his visits and my visits went. We talked about similarities and differences and things like that. And, yes, we're still planning to play together in college."

Neither guy seems to be backing off of this claim and that fact makes it unlikely that either will seriously consider staying home for college. Still until he makes it official there is no reason not to at least hold out hope he decides to stick around. With Tubby it was pretty clear there was no shot to get him, the odds went up a couple percentage points with Pitino but it was still going to be an extreme longshot to keep Tyus in state.

Neither guy seems to be backing off of this claim and that fact makes it unlikely that either will seriously consider staying home for college. Still until he makes it official there is no reason not to at least hold out hope he decides to stick around. With Tubby it was pretty clear there was no shot to get him, the odds went up a couple percentage points with Pitino but it was still going to be an extreme longshot to keep Tyus in state.

Time to move on to Plan B, and aggresively recruit Rashad and Travis for two of the big three. Something tells me Pitino knows what he is doing and won't muck around with this. If Tyus wants to go, he should let us know quickly so we can get another quality point guard.

If he goes to another B1G school, I will puke, though. Why does it seem like the other kid is leading the charge here and Tyus is following? Be a leader, man?

I agree with every word, Holy Man....especially your last statement. That is the same vibe I get from all this. "Tyus...put on the collar. We're going for a walk." - Jalil Okafor

Will they go to the bathroom together like teenage girls? If their decisions are based upon what the other does, then that is truly pathetic. It would indicate that, despite their mature appearance, they are insecure little kids looking for a way to cuddle the masses. Hope it's not true.

Didn't he say the other day he might wait to see how the Gophers play this year? This would seem to contradict that. Or am I thinking of Rashad?

"I'm looking at the early signing period in November, and I'm hoping to have a decision made by then. I mean you never know, but that's what I'm hoping for."

Will they go to the bathroom together like teenage girls? If their decisions are based upon what the other does, then that is truly pathetic. It would indicate that, despite their mature appearance, they are insecure little kids looking for a way to cuddle the masses. Hope it's not true.

How does two kids deciding/planning to play college ball together make them insecure little kids?

Would love to get Rashad and Reid and then beat Tyus/Okafor in the tournament.

I doubt you would be this negative about the package deal if you thought they will both come to Minnesota. A big part in making a decision about where to play college ball is who else will be on the team. Like it or not, the relative talent of the other players on the team and the position they are at plays a significant role in just about every decision.

Difference is Orten was a physically ready nba body and tyus is a 6 foot skinny kid. Definitely not a one and done IMHO.

Kevin Durant was a skinny kid. Brandon Jennings a 6'1" skinny kid. Mike Conley Jr. was 6'1" and pretty slight of frame.

Not having girth isn't something that will drive your stock down as a point guard. Not having game will :)

You can easily turn pro after one year provided your stock is such that you are a projected first round pick - that's what's important. Skinny/not skinny isn't really.

Basic human psychology. The "i'm not doing it unless you do it too" psychology. Ask anyone who knows about human psychology and they will tell you that such activity reeks of insecurity and mental weakness, common in most kids.

Basic human psychology. The "i'm not doing it unless you do it too" psychology. Ask anyone who knows about human psychology and they will tell you that such activity reeks of insecurity and mental weakness, common in most kids.

So most kids suffer from insecurity and mental weakness. What about two adults that plan to do something together?

Cool, man. Let's have a "rip on high school kids" session!

Seriously, he apparently wants to go play with his buddy, who also happens to be an elite player. I'm not sure why that's such a big deal or so surprising/odd/"weak." There's not a single mention of him saying "well, if he won't come here, I won't either!". Just that they'd like to do it. Who wouldn't like to play with a buddy who is a great player? (Only the mentally strong, apparently...)

Not saying it's wrong. It's just a psychological marker of weakness. Players can be weak of mind and still be very good (look at 75% of Duke's players over the last decade). Girls having to go the bathroom together IS ALWAYS a lack of confidence and thus a sign of mental weakness.

just rule out Minnesota already Tyus. You aren't coming here, just let Minnesota move on. Such an attention wh$re lol

Not saying it's wrong. It's just a psychological marker of weakness. Players can be weak of mind and still be very good (look at 75% of Duke's players over the last decade). Girls having to go the bathroom together IS ALWAYS a lack of confidence and thus a sign of mental weakness.

You mean they don't think they can be successful there without their friends? :)

Ha. Yes, clearly, it's a 100% accurate determination of a woman's confidence level.

Anyone, back to Tyus- I think it is unlikely he comes here, and it's possible he's just keeping us on the list to pacify locals (would not blame him if that is the case), but I personally think we still have a chance (if small) and will believe that until he commits elsewhere.

I would tell Tyus to go to the bathroom or get off the pot. In the 3-4 years we've been recruiting him, he has never given any indication he wants to be a Gopher.

Our program is so much more important than any one kid.

Listen....I love Tyus as a player of course and he seems like a great, great kid. What we don't like is the fact that he's attaching his college choice to a kid that doesn't appear to be considering MN. That eliminates us as an option even though he might actually entertain the thought of staying here. That demonstrates a "follower" rather than "leader" mentality. I don't blame any kid for wanting to play with other great players...duh. But how how great would it be for the kid to say..."We can win here, we have talent here, I'm good enough to lead the way and others will follow."? Unlike a few others, I will support him whatever he decides because by all accounts seems like a very good kid with a great family. I just selfishly hope he recognizes the opportunity he has to be idolized by staying home and ripping it up in his own backyard.

per Shama:

But not so sure about Minnesota’s chances for landing Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones and Cooper shooting guard Rashad Vaughn, both juniors. Elite prep players often want to know how their college experiences can help them earn a roster spot in the NBA. Pitino, at 30 years old, can’t talk about any players he sent to the next level as a head coach. Tough competition against power coaches like Kentucky’s John Calipari and Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

But not so sure about Minnesota’s chances for landing Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones and Cooper shooting guard Rashad Vaughn, both juniors. Elite prep players often want to know how their college experiences can help them earn a roster spot in the NBA. Pitino, at 30 years old, can’t talk about any players he sent to the next level as a head coach. Tough competition against power coaches like Kentucky’s John Calipari and Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

What a crock. There are plenty of reasons why the big 3 may choose to go out of state but prospects of getting to the NBA have very little to do with it. If they have the talent they can play anywhere and get to the NBA. It is pretty simple, if they go to a Duke or Michigan State it is because they want to play in a great program under a great coach and have a legit shot at winning a National Championship. If they stay home and play for Pitino they want to play in their home state for the program the grew up cheering for and try to help the new coach turn things into a winning program with a shot at a National Championship down the line.

Random ? Does anybody know what non conference tournament if any the gophers will be playing in this year or is it yet unknown.

Random ? Does anybody know what non conference tournament if any the gophers will be playing in this year or is it yet unknown.

Maui, which is why if I were Pitino, I'd be reminding Tarik Black and other 1 year rental players that by signing with Minnesota it guarantees an all expenses paid trip to Hawaii. Not too shabby. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom