Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time making sense out of nonsense when no one knows anything but uses hunches and calls them common sense.

1. He is going to play with Jabari Parker. (Jabari Parker is not coming to the Gophers)
2. Tyus loves the attention and the big stage, (Duke, UK) etc

I would love to be completely wrong and you can bump this post many times if/when it happens, but it is pretty evident to an average basketball fan Tyus is not coming here.

1. He is going to play with Jabari Parker. (Jabari Parker is not coming to the Gophers)

I would love to be completely wrong and you can bump this post many times if/when it happens, but it is pretty evident to an average basketball fan Tyus is not coming here.

Highly unlikely those two play together....

Jabari Parker is not the guy that everyone says he wants to play with (though, he may follow Jabari to Duke a year later). The name you're looking for is Jahlil Okafor (sp). If you're going to speculate in such a way where you try to sell it as certainty, at least get the names right...

I don't think it's likely he ends up here, but until he signs elsewhere or eliminates us, we have a chance.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Think it's time to move on...

Per Chicago Trib: Jahlil Okafor wants to team with fellow top recruit Tyus Jones. Chances they'll play together? Okafor: "99.9%." http://bit.ly/11LqBAi

"The 6-foot-11 center from Chicago remains adamant that he will play his college ball with Minnesota native Tyus Jones, who is considered by most recruiting services to be the top point guard in the country."

So now we have, in College Basketball, the tail wagging the dog. Screw it.

If the kids are gonna dictate to College Basketball that "we are gonna play together" syndrome, I would suggest that all Coaches say "UH, No." And they all end up with no scholarships. Screw the arrogance of all of these dudes.

Fail

I get the idea that these players care to play with Tyus far more than he cares to play with them. Not that he doesn't want to, but if he likes school A the most and they don't want to go there, I don't think it's going to stop him from attending that school.

“Tyus is the ring leader,” one college coach told ESPN. “They all want to play with him.”
a college coach said Jones is also making a pitch to 6-foot-8 forward Cliff Alexander (Curie High/Chicago, Ill.).
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...e-he-and-tyus-jones-play-together-in-college/
Didn't realize Tyus had his own college. People are probably right we aren't getting him. Seems like he is going the Lebron package deal route. Except he's not Lebron or getting paid. There are plenty of good basketball players in the world. It may be easier to recruit kids from New York than Minnesota, Got to agree with Dr Don the arrogance and entitlement these kids show is a bit much.

Tyus needs to cut this act like he's still considering going to Minnesota. He knows for a fact he'll team up with Jahlil Okafor and go play elsewhere. It's time to stop stringing the fans along and be upfront and honest.

per Corey Albertson at EYBL today:

Point guard play was at a premium on Saturday on Day Two of the second Nike EYBL session of the season, at the Boo Williams Invitational. The most highly thought of point guard prospects all brought their best efforts to the floor, with the ability to lead their team to a win being the criteria by which colleges evaluated them. Of all the stars, it was a four-star from Philadelphia and a top-five 2014 prospect from Minnesota who shined the brightest. Here's the best of Saturday from Boo Williams.

Taking Over

The ultimate measure of a point guard is being a winner. After leading his Howard Pulley Panthers team to two huge wins over the Wisconsin Playground Warriors and then an upset of Team Penny, five-star floor general Tyus Jones was the star of the day. Drawing head coaches from Duke, North Carolina, Baylor, Kentucky, Michigan State and Minnesota to his two games, Jones put on an offensive clinic.

The strength of Jones' game is his controlling tempo. As teams try different things defensively to stop him -- rushing him in the full-court being the current favorite -- Jones very simply handled that pressure under control, proving that he might be the only guard in the country who can't be sped up by full-court, double-team pressure.

Also elite off high ball-screens, Jones loves to make the extra pass, leading to assists for wide open 3-pointers to his sharpshooting teammates, or layups in the paint for Rivals150 forward Reid Travis. A competitor who embraces the fact that other guards are always going to give him their best shot, Jones went even further on Saturday to place himself among the nation's elite two point guards, the main reason why so many colleges are chasing him.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1500396

Go Gophers!!

If the kids are gonna dictate to College Basketball that "we are gonna play together" syndrome, I would suggest that all Coaches say "UH, No." And they all end up with no scholarships. Screw the arrogance of all of these dudes.

While I agree with you in principal that it is a dangerous path to go down when the kids dictate who they play with there is not a coach in the country that would turn away a crop of top recruits like this because all they would see is a shot at winning a National Championship.

Tyus needs to cut this act like he's still considering going to Minnesota. He knows for a fact he'll team up with Jahlil Okafor and go play elsewhere. It's time to stop stringing the fans along and be upfront and honest.

You know, if you're so convinced he's going elsewhere, you could just stop paying attention to his recruitment and worry about other players?

Why can't the kids dictate where they play and who they play with???

Did you go to college? Did you get to choose for yourself?

This is absurd reasoning, just because we might not be the destination, Tyus and all his friends, who are just trying to win and win with their friends, are now arrogant ill punks.....

Right.

Why can't the kids dictate where they play and who they play with???

Did you go to college? Did you get to choose for yourself?

This is absurd reasoning, just because we might not be the destination, Tyus and all his friends, who are just trying to win and win with their friends, are now arrogant ill punks.....

Right.

Exactly. The kid has all the right in the world to pick the best/most fun situation for him. As he has said himself, it might be MN. Most likely won't be, but people mad at him for talking about his options just reek of jealousy.

per Corey Albertson at EYBL today:

The ultimate measure of a point guard is being a winner. After leading his Howard Pulley Panthers team to two huge wins over the Wisconsin Playground Warriors and then an upset of Team Penny, five-star floor general Tyus Jones was the star of the day. Drawing head coaches from Duke, North Carolina, Baylor, Kentucky, Michigan State and Minnesota to his two games, Jones put on an offensive clinic.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1500396

Go Gophers!!

I thought the Gophers weren't allowed to view Tyus yesterday as the viewing time had been all used up?

I thought the Gophers weren't allowed to view Tyus yesterday as the viewing time had been all used up?

I think Tyus said in his interview that they can't be on the court he's playing on, but in the same gym watching other games.

It's arrogant to want to play with friends? These kids are dictating college basketball because programs will bend over backwards for them. That's not the kids fault, at all.

It's arrogant to want to play with friends? These kids are dictating college basketball because programs will bend over backwards for them. That's not the kids fault, at all.

It's only arrogance if they don't want to play together at the U

per Sid:

The Howard Pulley Panthers AAU squad went 5-0 this weekend at the Nike Elite Youth Basketball tournament in Hampton, Va. Apple Valley’s Tyus Jones and DeLaSalle’s Reid Travis continued their dominant play. Jones averaged 23.8 points on 51 percent shooting from the field and 5.3 assists. Travis averaged 18.8 points on 50 percent shooting and 8.2 rebounds, including a 34-point game on 11-for-17 shooting in their 85-75 victory Sunday over Nike Team Louisiana.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/205164641.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Duke Q&A: Tyus Jones would be comfortable playing with Quinn Cook at Duke

Q: Are you and top-ranked 2014 center Jahlil Okafor still planning on attending the same school?

A: Yes sir.

Q: Have the two of you discussed any more about where you want to go recently?

A: Yeah we have talked a little bit about it.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/20...-comfortable-playing-with-quinn-cook-at-duke/

Go Gophers!!
Quite simple, if he and Okafor are going to play together he will not be a Gopher .History has showed upper midwest kids don't stay home to play. Be it Cole Aldrich, Harrison Barnes, Marcus Paige, Mike Miller, Alan Anderson, Nick Collison, Isiah Dahlman, Kirk Hinrich or a host of others. The big boys come calling and the party is over. The bright side is you can get plenty of good players , have them for four years and compete with the high turnover big programs. I'm through getting my hopes up that any of these kids would love to play at home. Maybe some day but when you look at 80 plus pages on Tyus on here it makes you think there are other players if he wants to play with a team of Mcdonald all Americans I could care less.

Quite simple, if he and Okafor are going to play together he will not be a Gopher .History has showed upper midwest kids don't stay home to play. Be it Cole Aldrich, Harrison Barnes, Marcus Paige, Mike Miller, Alan Anderson, Nick Collison, Isiah Dahlman, Kirk Hinrich or a host of others. The big boys come calling and the party is over. The bright side is you can get plenty of good players , have them for four years and compete with the high turnover big programs. I'm through getting my hopes up that any of these kids would love to play at home. Maybe some day but when you look at 80 plus pages on Tyus on here it makes you think there are other players if he wants to play with a team of Mcdonald all Americans I could care less.

Royce While had an offer from MSU and probably would have gotten better ones if he would have waited to commit. Bronson Koenig had offers from UNC, Duke, and Kansas, but will be attending Wisconsin. Adam Woodbury had an offer from UNC and stayed at Iowa. Cody Zeller turned down big time offers to stay at Indiana before they were good again. These are just recent examples off the top of my head. Plenty of big time players stay home, you just choose to ignore it when it happens (or maybe you simply don't follow recruiting and have no idea what you're talking about).

Royce While had an offer from MSU and probably would have gotten better ones if he would have waited to commit. Bronson Koenig had offers from UNC, Duke, and Kansas, but will be attending Wisconsin. Adam Woodbury had an offer from UNC and stayed at Iowa. Cody Zeller turned down big time offers to stay at Indiana before they were good again. These are just recent examples off the top of my head. Plenty of big time players stay home, you just choose to ignore it when it happens (or maybe you simply don't follow recruiting and have no idea what you're talking about).
Cody Zeller doesn't belong in your arguement. There are way more big time players who leave. Especially in Iowa and Minnesota although Wisconsin has lost some also. The Totoko kid who is at North Carolina, Jerry Smith to Lousiville. Korie Luscious to Mich St,the Fisher kid from Germantown is going to Indiana. When you look at Rickert and Humphries it was freak deals that lead them to the U, Adam Boone went to Carolina. We managed to lose El AMIN. I know my recruiting history and it is close to impossible to get these kids when the bluebloods come calling. You could add Raef Lafrenz, Jeff Boshee, Johny Gilbert to the list. We did get Pryzbilla and Jacobson. But it is a struggle. Maybe Pitano will be the guy to change things.

Cody Zeller doesn't belong in your arguement. There are way more big time players who leave. Especially in Iowa and Minnesota although Wisconsin has lost some also. The Totoko kid who is at North Carolina, Jerry Smith to Lousiville. Korie Luscious to Mich St,the Fisher kid from Germantown is going to Indiana. When you look at Rickert and Humphries it was freak deals that lead them to the U, Adam Boone went to Carolina. We managed to lose El AMIN. I know my recruiting history and it is close to impossible to get these kids when the bluebloods come calling. You could add Raef Lafrenz, Jeff Boshee, Johny Gilbert to the list. We did get Pryzbilla and Jacobson. But it is a struggle. Maybe Pitano will be the guy to change things.

I think your conclusion is wrong, at least insofar as Minnesota goes. Historically the majority of the top kids are persuaded to stay home. I've been following MN recruiting and bb for 30 years, and Minnesota gets about 2/3 or more of the top in-state players it wants. Take away the Monson years and the percentage is higher. Your list is selective too...guys like Allan Anderson and Isiah Dahlman don't belong in the same breath as guys like Rick Rickert and Royce White. Different level player, different level recruit.

The only truly elite in-state guys the U of M has been out-recruited for are El-Amin (with rumors of $$) and Cole Aldrich (Monson years). Kept Jacobson, Pryzbilla, Humphries, Rickert, White, Williams. Sure there were some recruiting mistakes, e.g., not pursuing Jake Sullivan hard enough or Nate Wolters, but that's not what we're talking about.

So the conclusion is some top players stay home, and some don't. That's pretty groundbreaking information. Our coach is named Pitino by the way. I think our local recruiting is going to be just fine with him.

That means a lot coming from one of the most arrogant posters on here. I know you like any excuse to be angry at young people, but I'm not sure you understand the situation. You realize these players who want to play together are the top players in the country, right? That means they can play where they want. You make it sound like they're saying, "I'm only going to come to your school if you allow my friend (who isn't that good) to come too." It's soooo arrogant that good friends with offers everywhere want to play together...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom