Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesome!

@gophersnow: Apple Valley coach Zach Goring said top 2014 recruit Tyus Jones might meet with the new #Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino next week.

Go Gophers!!

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I think Tyus would be a perfec complement to Mr. Pitino's system.... anyone's system for that matter.

Needs to recruit the Big 3 like nobody has so far....that's his way to making a name to himself fast in this state. Keeping them home.

Needs to recruit the Big 3 like nobody has so far....that's his way to making a name to himself fast in this state. Keeping them home.

As long as you stay the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# away from them, we have a chance.

@gophersnow: Correction on the Tyus Jones tweet. His coach isn't sure when Jones will talk to Richard Pitino. Jones is not making any comments this week.

Go Gophers!!

If I were Coach (if allowable), I schedule a dinner at Manny's with the Big 3 and their parents and lay out what those 3 could mean to the program and the state of MN. They all see the NBA regardless of where they go to school but would be considered Gods here if they committed. I wouldn't hold them in contempt if they went elsewhere but what a story it would make if they bonded together and stayed home.

Would that get you on board with the hire then?

If I were Coach (if allowable), I schedule a dinner at Manny's with the Big 3 and their parents and lay out what those 3 could mean to the program and the state of MN. They all see the NBA regardless of where they go to school but would be considered Gods here if they committed. I wouldn't hold them in contempt if they went elsewhere but what a story it would make if they bonded together and stayed home.

I don't think that's allowed... unless they all bought their own dinners.

Plus its the wrong approach - its not what they can do for the state and program but what the program and a grateful state [alums] can do for them and their careers. Even after BB is over. And frankly its a lot.

But carry on.

If Vince (assuming he's hired) and coach P (that has a good ring to it.) Could persuade the Big 3 to stay home, they all would be kings and it's always good to be a king. As the old saying goes, 'Once a king always a king but once a knight is never enough.'

If Vince (assuming he's hired) and coach P (that has a good ring to it.) Could persuade the Big 3 to stay home, they all would be kings and it's always good to be a king. As the old saying goes, 'Once a king always a king but once a knight is never enough.'

why would you assume Taylor will be a part of Pitino's staff? Not saying you're wrong, just curious what your reasoning is.

Was an assistant under Rick at Louisville, probably some familiarity between him and Rich.

thanks, wasn't aware of that. Personally, I would be in favor of the move. Taylor seemed like by far the best recruiter on the staff and he has a very good relationship with Ellis and Vaughn, among many others I'm sure.

thanks, wasn't aware of that. Personally, I would be in favor of the move. Taylor seemed like by far the best recruiter on the staff and he has a very good relationship with Ellis and Vaughn, among many others I'm sure.

+1

He definitely seemed to be our best recruiter and I think keeping him on board would bode well for our chances with Vaughn and Ellis, among possibly others. I'm all for it.

New Q&A: Tyus Jones Talks Richard Pitino, Recruiting and Winning State Title

Tyus Jones Talks Richard Pitino, Recruiting and Winning State Title
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/245007?referrer_id=331171

Tyus Jones, a 6-foot-2 junior point guard from Apple Valley, led the Eagles to their first ever Class AAAA state title last month. He is ranked #2 in the country by ESPN and has Minnesota among his final seven schools.

GopherHole.com caught up with Jones Thursday to learn the latest on his junior season, winning a state title, the new Minnesota head coach and his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: What was your reaction to the hiring of the new Minnesota head coach?

Tyus Jones: I was waiting to hear just like everybody else. Just happy that they finally found somebody.

Gopher Hole: Do you know much about him or have you looked him up a little bit?

Tyus Jones: I did not know much about him, so it will be interesting to build a relationship with him and just go from there.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to him? I read that you are supposed to meet with him next week, is that right?

Tyus Jones: I am not supposed to meet with him, but I talked to him last night (Wednesday), actually, but we haven’t planned to meet or anything like that.

Gopher Hole: What impact does the coaching change have on your recruitment with Minnesota?

Tyus Jones: Nothing really. They are still on my list. I am still looking at them as a school. I’ll just have to build a relationship with Coach Pitino now and go from there.

Gopher Hole: Is it going to be tough for Minnesota since those other schools have been recruiting you for a couple of years?

Tyus Jones: I don’t think that it makes a little tougher. I just need to, like I said, build a relationship with them and feel him and his staff out and just go from there and see where it goes.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any trips or visits planned in the next couple of months?

Tyus Jones: No, I do not.

Gopher Hole: How big of a thrill was it to win the state championship?

Tyus Jones: It was unbelievable. It was an unbelievable experience and something that myself and my teammates, family and friends will never forget. It was great.

Gopher Hole: Have you guys already started talking about next year?

Tyus Jones: A little bit. We have a lot of guys back, so there is definitely some excitement about next year, but we are just trying to soak it in right now and focus on AAU.

Gopher Hole: Your AAU team has some new players like Reid Travis and Jarvis Johnson. What are the expectations for this year?

Tyus Jones: We have high expectations. We got a couple of new players, like you said and we are going to look to do some good things this summer.

I think Richard gets two of the three. Tyus will be the odd man out. Which is fine because Tyus doesn't play defense.

The one thing I hope with Jones is that he's up front with Minnesota. If he knows the Gophers aren't truly in the mix, tell Pitino that and then both parties can move on. Pitino can go about finding another PG.

I'd hate for it to end like the Jon Scheyer situation with Duke-Illinois a few years ago. Scheyer and his parents knew da*n well he was going to Duke, but they strung Illinois and Bruce Weber along for the ride. The Scheyers loved the attention. I don't have the impression the Jones family would pull that kind of charade. If the home state is out of the mix, I get the feeling they'd be up front about it.

The one thing I hope with Jones is that he's up front with Minnesota. If he knows the Gophers aren't truly in the mix, tell Pitino that and then both parties can move on. Pitino can go about finding another PG.

I'd hate for it to end like the Jon Scheyer situation with Duke-Illinois a few years ago. Scheyer and his parents knew da*n well he was going to Duke, but they strung Illinois and Bruce Weber along for the ride. The Scheyers loved the attention. I don't have the impression the Jones family would pull that kind of charade. If the home state is out of the mix, I get the feeling they'd be up front about it.

Gophs desperately need a PG, or 2.

Agreed.

Harrison Barnes did the same thing to Iowa State.

Or maybe he's just a smart kid that handles himself really well.

I agree. I think he just happens to be a bright kid who thinks before he speaks. He will be a great representative of the "U".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom