Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I hope with Jones is that he's up front with Minnesota. If he knows the Gophers aren't truly in the mix, tell Pitino that and then both parties can move on. Pitino can go about finding another PG.

I'd hate for it to end like the Jon Scheyer situation with Duke-Illinois a few years ago. Scheyer and his parents knew da*n well he was going to Duke, but they strung Illinois and Bruce Weber along for the ride. The Scheyers loved the attention. I don't have the impression the Jones family would pull that kind of charade. If the home state is out of the mix, I get the feeling they'd be up front about it.

Closer to home, Tayler Hill strung Borton along. She was going to OSU all the time.

Just because he doesn't always try that hard on defense doesn't mean he isn't a good defender or won't be a good defender in college. When you're as good as he is his team can still win without him playing consistently tough defense. I'm sure his approach on defense won't be the same in college.

I've seen Tyus play about 5 times. Defense is a foreign language to him. The fact that he is so highly rated is a testament to how good his PG skills are because his defense certainly is not the reason.

per Shooter:

Pitino on Friday telephoned Rene Pulley, who operates the Pulley AAU basketball program that includes nationally sought Tyus Jones of Apple Valley and Reid Travis of DeLaSalle, to set up a meeting when he returns from this weekend's Final Four.

Minnesota is way behind in the recruitment of Jones, but the point guard prodigy definitely will listen to what Pitino and his staff have to offer.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Tyus is handling this process like a patient, rational, level-headed pro. Too bad Ellis couldn't have been the same way.

Not really. It's different when it is your hometown team vs a team in your final 5-7 schools. Iowa State =/= Minnesota when it came to Barnes.

I'd love to see him here, but go to Duke kid or Kentucky kid. You're going to the NBA, don't mess around.

You must have had a hard time getting any dates.

"I know you like me, but you should really go out with that guy because he is better looking".

Just because he doesn't always try that hard on defense doesn't mean he isn't a good defender or won't be a good defender in college. When you're as good as he is his team can still win without him playing consistently tough defense. I'm sure his approach on defense won't be the same in college.
Means he is ready for the NBA. Nobody plays d until the playoffs.

Nice attitude. Oh wait. You're the product of a pathetic college from nowhereville, MN. Go Johnnies.

Your personal attack cuts deep...not. You are so tough insulting me on a message board. I am really hurt by this.

Going to one of the "blue blood" schools can cut the other way too. I see Tyus as being a 3-4 year college player, and the possibility that they recruit another PG that ends up being better than him certainly exists.

Going to one of the "blue blood" schools can cut the other way too. I see Tyus as being a 3-4 year college player, and the possibility that they recruit another PG that ends up being better than him certainly exists.

Whaaa???

Because the number 1 player in the country is often a 3-4 yr player who gets replaced........

He will make the NBA no matter what school he attends. Like Humphries. Go to the U of M kid and be a local hero then come back to Minneapolis, St Paul as a retired player and have another great career doing whatever you want.

I love the "local hero" concept. He will be a local hero regardless where he goes to college. If he goes to duke, acts right and plays well he is still representing the state of Minnesota. If he makes the nba and retires and moves back to Minneapolis, kids will still look up to him and will still be able to do whatever he wants in the twin cities. This "local hero" bit is over played big time

I'll be surprised if he is not one and done, as much as I hate it I think Kentucky would be his best choice.

Tyus is handling this process like a patient, rational, level-headed pro. Too bad Ellis couldn't have been the same way.

Hey now! He gave it 9 days before he made his decision. That's a full 2 weeks!

I love the "local hero" concept. He will be a local hero regardless where he goes to college. If he goes to duke, acts right and plays well he is still representing the state of Minnesota. If he makes the nba and retires and moves back to Minneapolis, kids will still look up to him and will still be able to do whatever he wants in the twin cities. This "local hero" bit is over played big time
Yes, but he can't come here and then go to the NBA after one season. That will lead to him being booed for life. (Pryzbilla, Joel & Humphries, Kris)

Yes, but he can't come here and then go to the NBA after one season. That will lead to him being booed for life. (Pryzbilla, Joel & Humphries, Kris)

Joel quit the team
Kris never passed. Once. Plus he originally signed with Duke. Plus he acted like a choade on the Kardashian show - or so I'm told.

Both of those examples are terrible! How about cole Aldrich? El Amin? Troy bell? <---only guys who I could think of off the top of my head.

Both of those examples are terrible! How about cole Aldrich? El Amin? Troy bell? <---only guys who I could think of off the top of my head.

Those aren't good examples either. None of those guys even went to the U. Even though he's a totally different player, I think Sam Jacobson is probably the best example.

Kentucky...why would that be?

Kentucky assumes they have their services for only one season so get them out on the floor ASAP. Use them or lose them. If they are 'forced' to come back for a second seasons they were 'failures'.

I dream of Tyus playing the same role as Pistol Pete Maravich at LSU. Stay home, take the local team to elite status, and eventually be known as one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

That won't happen at Puke.

I dream of Tyus playing the same role as Pistol Pete Maravich at LSU. Stay home, take the local team to elite status, and eventually be known as one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

That won't happen at Puke.

Except Pistol Pete was born and raised in Pennsylvania and left his home state to play at LSU and become a hero there.

Except Pistol Pete was born and raised in Pennsylvania and left his home state to play at LSU and become a hero there.

Well talk about a historical myth being destroyed in my world... :eek:

...but I still want Tyus to stay and make his name as a Gopher! :)

Pistol moved around alot his dad coached at Clemson before LSU, didn't exactly have roots anywhere

Those aren't good examples either. None of those guys even went to the U. Even though he's a totally different player, I think Sam Jacobson is probably the best example.

they were examples of guys that didnt go to the U and are considered "hometown heroes" without playing for the gophers.

i misread the quote, my fault. been a long day of driving

so ummmmmmmm. back to tyus's interview since, you know, that was the original thread idea.

Kentucky...why would that be?

Calipari's history of getting PG's into the NBA, style of play, overall at that position I just think Kentucky would be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom