Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Says he doesn't have a favorite 'past' Gopher player. Well, that says a little bit right there. He might get along with Tubby and Co. fine, but he's clearly never been attached to the team in any way.

That was my take as well. Concentrate on Rashad and Travis and Henry instead...

It just warms my heart to see UNC and Kentucky struggling this season. Especially with both schools on Tyus' and Rashad's lists. And in turn, our Gophers doing well.

I honestly think that Duke is the only real threat to our getting either or both players. Okafar's influence could be an issue, as could our screwing up our good season, either of our own actions(bad play) or injuries, etc..

Our biggest threat when it comes to Reid, is Harvard and Stanford.

So we need to hope that Duke has peaked in November like has been the case in the past, and stumbles early in the Big Dance and we kick butt. Might not be enough if Okafar truly dislikes Minnesota and is truly one of Tyus' best friends, but then again, Tyus' might come to realize that maybe Okafar is not looking out for Tyus' best interests, but his own? Which can be said of the Gopher's and UK and Duke as well, obviously. But if Tyus is smart, he'll do what is in his best interest, and he may come to feel thats leaving home and going to play at Duke? If he does, I hope only the best for him. Same with Rashad and Reid. But it sure would be nice for the Gophers to catch a break, just once, and to nab them a #1 recruiting class that would have a huge impact on the program for a very long time.

I don't thin Okafor "dislikes" us, he just never took us seriously as a destination for a player of his caliber. The only we way we can change that is to win ball games & for our bigs to shine. That's all we can control. That said, let's see that leadership Tyus, reel him in!

Not sure why you aren't including Michigan State in that list. The De La Salle coaches love Izzo, they were very happy with the way Alan Anderson developed there and the way he was treated while he was there, and in the years since he left. They are a big threat for Travis' services.

Go Gophers!!

Minnesota & Stanford. He's not going to Harvard or MSU.

Says he doesn't have a favorite 'past' Gopher player. Well, that says a little bit right there. He might get along with Tubby and Co. fine, but he's clearly never been attached to the team in any way.

Or doesn't want to play favorites.

Every time I read interviews I come away very impressed with this young man. He knows how to handle the media, and refuses to put himself in a situation where he has to explain his answers. He will be a great representative of whichever institution he chooses to attend, and I'll be a little more than sad if that turns out to an institution other than "The" U.

That was my take as well. Concentrate on Rashad and Travis and Henry instead...

I would bet a vast majority of players end up committing to a school that they weren't attached to in any way growing up. Doesn't really mean anything. Would be a mistake to give up on his recruitment this early. Let's see how he feels about the Gophers after we go on a run in the tournament.

I've been a huge Gopher fan for at least ten years, and while we've had many players that I loved watching, I'm not sure I'd say I have a favorite past Gopher player... I suppose I would go with Hoff, but he wouldn't be on my list if you asked me my favorite athletes or something like that.

I don't view that as a huge indictment, particularly since he's like 17 years old. Who's he gonna say? He was too young to care in 1997 and who would he say since then? Rickert? Humphries? Hoff?

BleedGopher --

I guess I'm not saying MSU isn't a threat, and I'll admit to forgetting about De La Salle's penchant for pushing its players anywhere but Minnesota(that might be a little of an exaggeration, but still), but I just think that players went to MSU because it was a great program, with a great coach, and it was in a great conf, where they'd get to play in front of their family and friends once or twice a year. But I don't think Mn players only have one option to get all that anymore. Minnesota has a great coach, the same great conf, obviously lots of games in front of family and friends, and UMn's on the verge of being a great program. One good year might be all we need? So I just do not fear a program like MSU anymore. And I think he's factoring in academics more than most recruits, and MSU is not known for being an academic giant. If he was a typical bb player, maybe I'd have included MSU in the mix, but I don't think he is. UMn is not Stanford, but we're not far behind them.

BleedGopher --

I guess I'm not saying MSU isn't a threat, and I'll admit to forgetting about De La Salle's penchant for pushing its players anywhere but Minnesota(that might be a little of an exaggeration, but still), but I just think that players went to MSU because it was a great program, with a great coach, and it was in a great conf, where they'd get to play in front of their family and friends once or twice a year. But I don't think Mn players only have one option to get all that anymore. Minnesota has a great coach, the same great conf, obviously lots of games in front of family and friends, and UMn's on the verge of being a great program. One good year might be all we need? So I just do not fear a program like MSU anymore. And I think he's factoring in academics more than most recruits, and MSU is not known for being an academic giant. If he was a typical bb player, maybe I'd have included MSU in the mix, but I don't think he is. UMn is not Stanford, but we're not far behind them.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. This tweet from @GopherHole sums it up well:

"It's gotta be fun to be big-time Minn HS recruit knowing you can stay in-state & play for a program like #Gophers @ShowtimeMr @Tyusjones06"

Go Gophers!!

I as well, do not have a favorite Gopher player. If an interviewer asked me that question I'd have to say that I don't have one. Oh wait, maybe I do, I always got a kick out of Dusty Rychart. Always thought it was a great story.

But realistically, 17 yr olds might have a favorite NBA player, but college players, especially if you specify one school, don't stick out the way NBA players do.

Well I don't think we gotta worry about losing Tyus to North Carolina. They just lost at home to Miami. I really don't understand how Roy Williams can continue to get top 10 recruiting classes every year but underachieve every season. Who's gonna wanna go there other then local kids?

Here's a link to an article on ESPN about the top 10 recruiting battles for some of the top basketball players in the nation according to RecruitingNation:
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/8826389/recruitingnation-ranks-top-10-recruiting-battles-basketball-elite

Since it's an insider article, here's what they said about Tyus. He came in at number 5:
Tyus Jones | @Tyusjones06 | Junior
Appler Valley (Minn.) High School | PG | 6-1/171 | ESPN 60 Rank: No. 1

Who wants him?: Minnesota, Michigan State, Kentucky, Duke, Ohio State, Kansas. Pretty much every school in America.

Front-runner: There isn't a front-runner at this time but Duke's addition of Jabari Parker was notable because programs behind the scenes were concerned that Parker's pledge would give said program momentum.

Dark Horse: Minnesota. Head coach Tubby Smith has got them playing well, but private planes are landing in his state at an alarming rate.

@DaveTelep with the buzz: This kid may or may not be the best prospect in the class, but he sure is the best point guard. That means a full-fledged war to nab him is underway. The unique spin here is his relationship with 2014 C Jahlil Okafor, and many believe they will play together in college.

Future Impact: If he winds up on a squad that is in position to be a Sweet 16 team, he can easily become the final piece of a national championship contender.

Best Fit: A system that uses its post players, because he's been classically groomed for the position and has a skill set geared toward sharing before scoring.

With the success the Gophers are having this year it is inconceivable that some top rated 2013 high school power forward or center does not want to sign with Minnesota. The opportunity to get a lot of playing time in the B1G by replacing Mbakwe and Rodney would seem very attractive. Especially with the Hollins boys and Joe coming back.

With the success the Gophers are having this year it is inconceivable that some top rated 2013 high school power forward or center does not want to sign with Minnesota. The opportunity to get a lot of playing time in the B1G by replacing Mbakwe and Rodney would seem very attractive. Especially with the Hollins boys and Joe coming back.

sorta late for 2013 class, but this is good news for their chances for Gavin, but that is the best they will get from 2013 at this point, this year's success will make more of an impact on the 2014 class, and luckily for us, that class has big potential for us, maybe best ever

I know what you are saying yet there are quality uncommitted big men out there. Is it so important to have been pursued by a coach since 8th grade that you don't consider all the options? Particularly when you know that Tubby smith has a great reputation. It is clear to me that most college players stay fairly close to home making the recruitment of Tyus, Rashad and Reid critical. Gavin seems to be riding a wave and may opt for a bigger name basketball school. He was not that impressive when I saw him play in the EYBL in Eagan last spring but according to reports has improved. Let's hope Foster is better than advertised.

Call me crazy, but I don't want a commitment from Schilling. I think he would be an okay player for us, but I worry that it might hurt our chances with Reid, who IMO is a much better player. I'd rather save the scholarship.

Call me crazy, but I don't want a commitment from Schilling. I think he would be an okay player for us, but I worry that it might hurt our chances with Reid, who IMO is a much better player. I'd rather save the scholarship.

You are crazy.

Schilling's commitment would make a colossal impact. Schilling has 8 offers from BCS schools, most notably Michigan State. And with his improved play, teams like Arizona, Duke, and Villanova have all watched him multiple times. I don't want to sound like a recruiting expert, because I'm certainly far from one, but from everything I've heard/read, Schilling has improved greatly and should now be considered a top 100 player.

Think about next year...

Eliason, Buggs, and Big Mo will be our big men. That's right; Charles Buggs and Maurice Walker will be two of our top three big men. Although college basketball is won by guard play, it's critical that we sign another big whether it be Schilling or a JUCO.

And signing Schilling has nothing to do with securing a commitment from Reid Travis.

Think about next year...

Eliason, Buggs, and Big Mo will be our big men. That's right; Charles Buggs and Maurice Walker will be two of our top three big men. Although college basketball is won by guard play, it's critical that we sign another big whether it be Schilling or a JUCO.

And signing Schilling has nothing to do with securing a commitment from Reid Travis.

It doesn't? So prospects don't consider who teams have at their position? They don't think about what type of playing time they might get? Having more guys at his position = potential for less playing time.

You are crazy.

Schilling's commitment would make a colossal impact. Schilling has 8 offers from BCS schools, most notably Michigan State. And with his improved play, teams like Arizona, Duke, and Villanova have all watched him multiple times. I don't want to sound like a recruiting expert, because I'm certainly far from one, but from everything I've heard/read, Schilling has improved greatly and should now be considered a top 100 player.

If he's a legit top 100 talent then I would take him with open arms, but from what I've seen he is not. Maybe he's improved enough to be one. I don't know.

Tyus sat behind the bench of Kentucky and got to witness Kentucky lose at home to Texas A&M 83-71, also got to witness Coach Cal pick up a T, fans booing the team and watched the arena empty out with about 2-3 minutes to go in the game. Bet Cal couldn't have scripted a better game to have in front of Tyus. :rolleyes:

Why he would consider KY is beyond me, unless he thinks he is only going to play one year. Every year he would be there, there would be an entire new roster with "the next big things" coming in. What fun would that be in college unless you can time it right like they did last year with just the right Freshman?

I am glad Kentucky sucked ass today, cant stand them. Hard to blame someone for considering NC, Duke, MSU, etc...but god it would be wonderful to land him and Vaughn.

I hope all the studs from that class can make it to the Michigan game Thursday to see what the barn would be like every-friggin-night if they all signed here.

Why he would consider KY is beyond me, unless he thinks he is only going to play one year. Every year he would be there, there would be an entire new roster with "the next big things" coming in. What fun would that be in college unless you can time it right like they did last year with just the right Freshman?

Because every kid that Calipari recruits feels like he is "that" freshmen.

I don't think Tyus will come here, or more there is like a 25% chance. Maybe if we shake things up a ton he will consider more, but I just think the odds aren't in our favor. More realistically we should be going after Vaughn super hard. Also, I hope Tubby encourages Oto to leave for another program and free up that scholarship. GO GOPHERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom