Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams most likely to end up being in the Big 20, UNC, Virginia, probably the first 2, but Georgia Tech might come in before UNC? Then GT and FSU. Not a big fan of this, but it seems that Notre Dame will end up in the Big Ten. Personally, I'd prefer an 18 team league without Notre Dame or Duke, as it seems will be the final 2 teams in. But I understand one of the reasons why they are pushing for 20, which is to get the original 10 Big Ten teams playing as a collective unit again as the Western half of the league, although I think Nebraska throws a monkey wrench in that part of the plan. I think that one original Big Ten team is going to end up playing in a division with other eastern teams. Just wouldn't make sense in my mind to force the most western team to play in the east just so the conf can be the original 10 on one side and the newest 10 on the other.

I think without Oklahoma coming in, we'd end up playing with Neb, Ia, Wisc and Notre Dame or Illinois or possibly Michigan? But I would think that they'll keep Mich and OSU in the same division. Otherwise with OU, its them, Neb, Mn, Wisc and Ia.

Other teams that are at least possibilities are Boston College and possibly Louisville, although I don't think UL has the academics. Also Connecticut and Cincinnati, same as UL, don't think they have the academics. I think Cincy is headed to the Big 12 and Louisville probably as well, and I think that Connecticut is going to be left out in the cold in the end, unless they are willing to fly cross country in every sport. If only they had the academics, I think they'd be a good fit in the Big Ten.

Rashad Vaughn will make his college decision within 9 months now. Hopefully Rashad makes his decision before Tyus because Rashad seems like the guy with the best chance of ending up here, and hopefully swaying Tyus's decision.

Rashad Vaughn will make his college decision within 9 months now. Hopefully Rashad makes his decision before Tyus because Rashad seems like the guy with the best chance of ending up here, and hopefully swaying Tyus's decision.

The thought of that back court is absolutely frightening

Teams most likely to end up being in the Big 20, UNC, Virginia, probably the first 2, but Georgia Tech might come in before UNC? Then GT and FSU. Not a big fan of this, but it seems that Notre Dame will end up in the Big Ten. Personally, I'd prefer an 18 team league without Notre Dame or Duke, as it seems will be the final 2 teams in. But I understand one of the reasons why they are pushing for 20, which is to get the original 10 Big Ten teams playing as a collective unit again as the Western half of the league, although I think Nebraska throws a monkey wrench in that part of the plan. I think that one original Big Ten team is going to end up playing in a division with other eastern teams. Just wouldn't make sense in my mind to force the most western team to play in the east just so the conf can be the original 10 on one side and the newest 10 on the other.

I think without Oklahoma coming in, we'd end up playing with Neb, Ia, Wisc and Notre Dame or Illinois or possibly Michigan? But I would think that they'll keep Mich and OSU in the same division. Otherwise with OU, its them, Neb, Mn, Wisc and Ia.

Other teams that are at least possibilities are Boston College and possibly Louisville, although I don't think UL has the academics. Also Connecticut and Cincinnati, same as UL, don't think they have the academics. I think Cincy is headed to the Big 12 and Louisville probably as well, and I think that Connecticut is going to be left out in the cold in the end, unless they are willing to fly cross country in every sport. If only they had the academics, I think they'd be a good fit in the Big Ten.

What happens to the ACC Big Ten challenge? This would soil all of the past history and the debate would be shift to who really won the overall battle? The league that won the most games or the league that destroyed which conference? Will a coach be hired with a goal to win the conference or finish in the top eight teams? What would be the rules for the number of teams from one conference in the NCAA tourney? And how soon that each team play each other? Then the question if the Big Ten picked up a few other conferences would it spoil the Selection Sunday event? Would we need Selection Sunday? Would the NIT join the NCAA tourney to dilute the Big Ten numbers? What would become of Northwestern?

Somebody's got to do it.

One factor that might need to be taken into account, if Tyus and Vaughn are considering going to Duke, is what conference will Duke be in 2 years from now? <b>
I've heard some things from a pretty reliable source </b>that the ACC is in trouble, and will probably break up with as many as 5 teams heading to the Big Ten and the rest being picked up by the SEC and The Big 12 or being left out in the wind. Duke is not high on any conferences list of targets. Other than bb, they don't offer much of anything that Confs want, that they don't already have, and I mean that in the sense that UNC is going to be one of the B1G's main targets. This source has also said that every single team in the ACC has expressed interest in moving to other conferences, with 7 or 8 expressing interest in the B1G. It's likely that Duke, though not a highly sought after school by any of the conferences, will end up as the 19th team taken into the B1G 20 Conference, with Notre Dame slated as the 20th member. So basically, going to Duke might mean playing in the Big Ten conference, although with so many teams its probably not going to mean alot of games vs Minnesota. But I think the main issue for someone looking at Duke, would be the fact that we do not know whether Duke will get picked up by the Big Ten or not. They may go after an Oklahoma instead, since with UNC we'd already have that area covered, and we need more help with fb than with bb, so OU would be a better fit, seeing as we already have Nebraska. Would make dividing up the West alot easier as well, for OU and Neb would just be grouped with Mn, Ia and Wisc.

Not sure how soon before all of this breaks and becomes national news, but I'm hoping before Tyus and Vaughn and Reid make their commitments.

I call BS!

Call it whatever you like minimax. I don't care. You thinking its bs isn't going to change the fact that its not only going to happen, it IS happening. We all know the B1G is planning to expand, and we all know who the targets are, and the ones at the top of the list are ACC teams. The schools in the ACC know this, and they know that by replacing the 2 that the B1G takes first, with Cincy and UConn, isn't going to do much to strengthen and improve their standing.

The B1G isn't going after a Wake Forest or some team no one cares about, they are going after the heart of the ACC, North Carolina, and even if they don't get them on the first round, and take Virginia and GT, an ACC without those 2, but with Cincy and UConn instead, will only be improved in bb, but not fb, it will hurt Cincy as far as fb goes, and the schools in the ACC can see all of this coming, and do not want to be left out in the cold or having to accept an invitation to a conf that they don't want to be in, so they are being proactive and putting out the feelers.

The ACC is not a bb only conf, so the schools in the ACC need conferences that will be able to support their entire athletic programs, and the Big Ten is the best option for all of the ACC schools. And the money involved in the Big Ten's academic and research collaborations is something these schools probably want to get in on as well.

But its no skin off my back if you don't want to believe it. The info has not been released publically, so it could be false. But it just makes far too much sense to be made up.

Call it whatever you like minimax. I don't care. You thinking its bs isn't going to change the fact that its not only going to happen, it IS happening. We all know the B1G is planning to expand, and we all know who the targets are, and the ones at the top of the list are ACC teams. The schools in the ACC know this, and they know that by replacing the 2 that the B1G takes first, with Cincy and UConn, isn't going to do much to strengthen and improve their standing. The B1G isn't going after a Wake Forest or some team no one cares about, they are going after the heart of the ACC, North Carolina, and even if they don't get them on the first round, and take Virginia and GT, an ACC without those 2, but with Cincy and UConn instead, will only be improved in bb, but not fb, it will hurt Cincy as far as fb goes, and the schools in the ACC can see all of this coming, and do not want to be left out in the cold or having to accept an invitation to a conf that they don't want to be in, so they are being proactive and putting out the feelers. The ACC is not a bb only conf, so the schools in the ACC need conferences that will be able to support their entire athletic programs, and the Big Ten is the best option for all of the ACC schools. And the money involved in the Big Ten's academic and research collaborations is something these schools probably want to get in on as well.

But its no skin off my back if you don't want to believe it. The info has not been released publically, so it could be false. But it just makes far too much sense to be made up.

It would be nice if you could shorten each post down, because when I go down the screen and see a full 2-3 paragraphs, I think "next". Or put a space in between thoughts , because reading that whole clump of words every time isn't the most appealing thing to do.

Not crabby or anything, it's just a good idea so more people will read your posts, because not everybody is willing to read all that. :)

You know, at another site I frequent, apparently I drive them crazy because of all the spacing I put into my posts, lol. I am not a computer genius, and so I think I did something to make it so that spaces get automatically put in if I hit the enter key. So when I am there, I have to purposely try to cram everything together as much as I can so that there is not too much spacing, lol.

But looking over some of my posts, I've seen what you mean, and I'll work on that.

You know, at another site I frequent, apparently I drive them crazy because of all the spacing I put into my posts, lol. I am not a computer genius, and so I think I did something to make it so that spaces get automatically put in if I hit the enter key. So when I am there, I have to purposely try to cram everything together as much as I can so that there is not too much spacing, lol.

But looking over some of my posts, I've seen what you mean, and I'll work on that.

Cool! You have some great stuff to say.

Tyus gets a 5 second call at Lakeville with 17 seconds left game goes into overtime. 14 pts for Tyus 16 for Frosh Bertram

Looked like more of a football game than basketball tonight for Tyus...

It would be nice if you could shorten each post down, because when I go down the screen and see a full 2-3 paragraphs, I think "next". Or put a space in between thoughts , because reading that whole clump of words every time isn't the most appealing thing to do.

Not crabby or anything, it's just a good idea so more people will read your posts, because not everybody is willing to read all that. :)

+1

He might have great things to say, but I don't really like reading an entire novel everytime he posts. The shorter the post, the better. When I was in middle school I learned the meaning of the word "succinct." It comes to mind now.

I was at the AV vs. Lakeville North game last night. First time seeing Tyus in person. My humble observations...
1. He has unbelievable vision and his IQ is so far advanced compared to his competition. Great facilitator.
2. He still might not be 100%. He seemed to turn it on and off when he wanted. I got the impression he wasn't about to hurt himself in a H.S. game unless the game was close.
3. He didn't shoot 1 jump shot. All his points came in the paint and FT line. In warm-ups his J seemed pretty smooth.
4. He doesn't play defense all the time. He got completely crossed over by a junior on Lakeville North that is getting Wisco looks. (McClure?). It seems AV lets him float on defense a bit to keep him out of foul trouble.
5. Bertram is a decent prospect, but 14 of his 20 points came off layups set up by Tyus. He is a solid rebounder. Strong hands for a freshman.
6. Tyus threw the ball out of bounds 3 times when he zipped a bullet pass from about 5 ft away and his teammate wasn't able to handle the pass.
7. He flopped about 6 times in the game. Got 1 call. I didn't see coach K in the building, but I'm sure he would have been proud.
8. I didn't see Lakeville attack Tyus too much. I'd like to see how he handles on the ball defense against an equally talented athlete.
9. A Lakeville student tried to start a "Minnesota" chant, but it wasn't very popular. Funny though because the gym was pretty quiet at the time.
10. Tyus seemed to be cramping up, or rolled an ankle. He also got thrown into the bleachers at one point. He got beat up pretty good and was visibly limping on a couple of occasions.

Overall, I can see why Tyus is a top prospect. Put him on a court with 4 other equally talented ball players and watch him be the glue that keeps them playing together and raises everyone's game. His only weakness I would infer from 1 game is his defense, and occasional ill advised turnovers.

I can see why he wants to play with a high quality big. Running the pick and roll and running the offense, he looked inside for his big man first. Only when that wasn't open did he try to open up spot shooters. A big that draws the defense is going to open up his game even more (Okafor?).

I'd like to see Vaughn play and compare the two.

I was at the AV vs. Lakeville North game last night. First time seeing Tyus in person. My humble observations...
1. He has unbelievable vision and his IQ is so far advanced compared to his competition. Great facilitator.
2. He still might not be 100%. He seemed to turn it on and off when he wanted. I got the impression he wasn't about to hurt himself in a H.S. game unless the game was close.
3. He didn't shoot 1 jump shot. All his points came in the paint and FT line. In warm-ups his J seemed pretty smooth.
4. He doesn't play defense all the time. He got completely crossed over by a junior on Lakeville North that is getting Wisco looks. (McClure?). It seems AV lets him float on defense a bit to keep him out of foul trouble.
5. Bertram is a decent prospect, but 14 of his 20 points came off layups set up by Tyus. He is a solid rebounder. Strong hands for a freshman.
6. Tyus threw the ball out of bounds 3 times when he zipped a bullet pass from about 5 ft away and his teammate wasn't able to handle the pass.
7. He flopped about 6 times in the game. Got 1 call. I didn't see coach K in the building, but I'm sure he would have been proud.
8. I didn't see Lakeville attack Tyus too much. I'd like to see how he handles on the ball defense against an equally talented athlete.
9. A Lakeville student tried to start a "Minnesota" chant, but it wasn't very popular. Funny though because the gym was pretty quiet at the time.
10. Tyus seemed to be cramping up, or rolled an ankle. He also got thrown into the bleachers at one point. He got beat up pretty good and was visibly limping on a couple of occasions.

Overall, I can see why Tyus is a top prospect. Put him on a court with 4 other equally talented ball players and watch him be the glue that keeps them playing together and raises everyone's game. His only weakness I would infer from 1 game is his defense, and occasional ill advised turnovers.

I can see why he wants to play with a high quality big. Running the pick and roll and running the offense, he looked inside for his big man first. Only when that wasn't open did he try to open up spot shooters. A big that draws the defense is going to open up his game even more (Okafor?).

Vaughn and Tyus are completely different players who play different positions. When you see Rashad play it's very hard to see why Tyus is a better prospect (from a casual fans perspective). Vaughn is a flat out scorer, he can hit shots from anywhere with guys draped all over him or not. He can take the ball to the rim with ease and has outstanding handles. Great at getting his own shot and an underrated passer. Vaughn is also a bit more athletic as he gets of the floor easily and rises high to finish. In other words he certainly passes the eye test.

Tyus has the highest BB IQ I've ever seen in MN HS basketball, period. Has an outstanding ability to make others better and create for himself. As a PASS 1st PG (which I love), he truly is a floor general who dictates the flow of the game. This in my opinion is what make Tyus a slightly better prospect. You can find scorers (maybe not on the level that Rashad is) but PG is the hardest position to play and Tyus plays it better than 99.99% of humans. He also makes the floater look like a lay up which is actually really difficult.

To sum it up Vaughn usually looks more impressive (IMO) to the casual basketball fan but Tyus comes out slightly ahead because he can control the game!

Brock is a Big Time prospect if the 9th grader grows a couple inches he will be at least top 50. Tyus does not seem 100% they beat top rated team in Osseo, Hopkins and @Tonka without him and with him back the team has been less impressive so far. Vaughn is more than a bit more athletic.

Brock is a Big Time prospect if the 9th grader grows a couple inches he will be at least top 50. Tyus does not seem 100% they beat top rated team in Osseo, Hopkins and @Tonka without him and with him back the team has been less impressive so far. Vaughn is more than a bit more athletic.

I think that you under estimate the athleticism of Jones. Being athletic isn't just about jumping high you know. Tyus is deceptively quick and fast, strong, and can jump (not out of the gym). To my point Vaughn is a bit more athletic I'll give you that but to say that he's much more athletic isn't the truth. T

#3. His jump shot isn't anywhere near elite. He scores by driving inside and fast breaks. He has intangibles thought the roof that you just can't teach.

Rashad is very athletic, good rebounder, monster scorer.

#3. His jump shot isn't anywhere near elite. He scores by driving inside and fast breaks. He has intangibles thought the roof that you just can't teach.

Rashad is very athletic, good rebounder, monster scorer.

I actually think his jumper and scoring ability is underrated. When I hear people describe Tyus it reminds me of a player in the 2013 class who plays for Findlay Prep named Nigel Williams-Goss. Great BBall IQ and a great passer but only can really score around the paint. This isn't true with Tyus. Tyus is much more then just a great passer he can fill it up too. Proof of that is this where he dropped 45 as a sophomore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37V_Bf7B4g He's got the talent around him this year where he doesn't have to have scoring nights like that. He's similar to Chris Paul in the sense that he only scores when his team needs him to. That's what makes him special and makes him the best PG in the 2014 class.

@MinnesotaNice That big man Tyus could play with is Reid Travis. This is why I think we have a better chance at Tyus then most people think. If we're able to land Vaughn and Reid then Tyus can just run the show with a rolling big man that can also post up in Reid and a shooter/scorer with Vaughn.

I also went to the Apple Valley game against Lakeville to see Tyus for the fist time. He made 5 three pointers in a row in practice and never shot one in the game. Just layups. He scored 22 without much effort to score. I loved the fact that he is truly a pass first point guard. He will definitely make any team lucky enought to get him much better. Reminds me of Rubio the way he passes. He makes great 3/4 court and 1/2 court passes.

I agree with Myke, that if we are able to get Vaughn and Travis, there would be no reason for him to leave MN. He would have an incredible supporting cast here. Tubby was not at the game, but did watch Reid Travis play last night and seems to be giving all three of them his best effort. Hopefully a little Minnesota Gopher Pride from one, two or all three of them will go along way!!!

Even if by some miracle he comes here, would he most likely be done after his first year?

Gophersontherise - I know that in this day of facebook, texting, tweets, etc., that people have grown impatient with old dinosaurs like myself who dare to own books and who listen to albums from start to finish, and yes, I said albums, not CDs. lol Don't get me wrong, I do own a CD player and I know how to text, but I hate it.

But for what its worth, I understand how you feel and will try to shorten my posts. But just don't hold your breath, lol.

Gophersontherise - I know that in this day of facebook, texting, tweets, etc., that people have grown impatient with old dinosaurs like myself who dare to own books and who listen to albums from start to finish, and yes, I said albums, not CDs. lol Don't get me wrong, I do own a CD player and I know how to text, but I hate it.

But for what its worth, I understand how you feel and will try to shorten my posts. But just don't hold your breath, lol.

Don't worry about it. Make your posts as long as you want. I just personally tend not to read the really long ones and would read yours more often if they were shorter. Just a personal preference.

A #1 recruit is almost always a one and done. Almost guaranteed. But I can definitely see Tyus staing for 2 years.

Not one and done unless his jumper and defense goe from solid to very good . El Amin's average defense kept him out of NBA.

When I saw Bertram at the Twolves shootout I was not impressed at all. He looked slow, awkward and out of shape. I understand he's a freshman, but his feet aren't going to all of a sudden learn to be quick. I'd be surprised if the Gophers are interested.

I have to imagine the only way he's scoring 20 points in a game is because he's just bigger than everyone and Tyus hands him the ball right under the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom