Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Tyus will come here, or more there is like a 25% chance. Maybe if we shake things up a ton he will consider more, but I just think the odds aren't in our favor. More realistically we should be going after Vaughn super hard. Also, I hope Tubby encourages Oto to leave for another program and free up that scholarship. GO GOPHERS.

Those are actually good odds. only leaves 75% for the rest of the teams recruiting him combined. I would take that right now.

Those are actually good odds. only leaves 75% for the rest of the teams recruiting him combined. I would take that right now.

Yeah, I actually have no idea, and am basing that on no facts at all, just gut/okafor/family thing is really all I've heard. The fact that Tubby has given the keys to Dre has gotta help the chances for Ty Ty Buckets too.

I don't think Tyus will come here, or more there is like a 25% chance. Maybe if we shake things up a ton he will consider more, but I just think the odds aren't in our favor. More realistically we should be going after Vaughn super hard. Also, I hope Tubby encourages Oto to leave for another program and free up that scholarship. GO GOPHERS.

You're clearly an idiot.

Tyus encouraged by Andre more than Quinn Cook/ Ryan Harrow/ Keith Appling I would hope.

No reason to call anyone an idiot. If you disagree with a person, just say so, and state why. Hoping a coach drives a player out of a program, for whatever reason, just doesn't seem like a good thing to do, ever. We commit to a player, and in return they commit to us, we should stick by our commitment and then hope he sticks to his commitment. That is all a program can do. We can have 13 players on the team, and thats partly so that we hopefully can have 7-10 who can contribute significantly. That leaves alot of room for players who simply don't or can't contribute. 3-6 players. You just hope that a continued commitment to each and every one of those players pays off eventually. Isn't it nice when some unachieving player all of a sudden comes out of nowhere to start making big contributions in their Jr or Sr year?!

There should be integrity in college sports, and trying to push a player out of the program is not the right thing to do. If they are willing to sit at the end of the bench for their entire career, we should just accept that and hope they surprise us. If sitting at the end of the bench leads them on their own to seek a transfer, well, then at least that is their decision, and then I hope the best for them at their next stop in life. They tried to help out our program by coming here and we should be thankful for that and show appreciation of that.

No reason to call anyone an idiot. If you disagree with a person, just say so, and state why. Hoping a coach drives a player out of a program, for whatever reason, just doesn't seem like a good thing to do, ever. We commit to a player, and in return they commit to us, we should stick by our commitment and then hope he sticks to his commitment. That is all a program can do. We can have 13 players on the team, and thats partly so that we hopefully can have 7-10 who can contribute significantly. That leaves alot of room for players who simply don't or can't contribute. 3-6 players. You just hope that a continued commitment to each and every one of those players pays off eventually. Isn't it nice when some unachieving player all of a sudden comes out of nowhere to start making big contributions in their Jr or Sr year?!

There should be integrity in college sports, and trying to push a player out of the program is not the right thing to do. If they are willing to sit at the end of the bench for their entire career, we should just accept that and hope they surprise us. If sitting at the end of the bench leads them on their own to seek a transfer, well, then at least that is their decision, and then I hope the best for them at their next stop in life. They tried to help out our program by coming here and we should be thankful for that and show appreciation of that.

This is one of the more intelligent things i've ever read here. Kudos.

Tubby has kindly showed plenty of players the door before. I don't see why it should be different with Oto. This is the BIG10, it's not some fairy tale program where players and coaches should be happy that they are granting an athlete a scholarship to sit on the bench. That just doesnt make much sense to me. Look at Iverson, Cobb, Joesph, Armelin, and he even wanted Nolan to leave. Did any of that negatively effect the program? Maybe Oto still has some untapped potential that he hasn't shown. But airballing shots every game isn't exactly getting it done.

Tubby has kindly showed plenty of players the door before. I don't see why it should be different with Oto. This is the BIG10, it's not some fairy tale program where players and coaches should be happy that they are granting an athlete a scholarship to sit on the bench. That just doesnt make much sense to me. Look at Iverson, Cobb, Joesph, Armelin, and he even wanted Nolan to leave. Did any of that negatively effect the program? Maybe Oto still has some untapped potential that he hasn't shown. But airballing shots every game isn't exactly getting it done.

You know all of this was Tubby trying (and succeeding) to get rid of those guys how? What I'm getting at is that you are full of crap on this topic.

Huh? What are you talking about? Chip is the only one that was probably pressured to leave. The fact you can't even spell half of those names right further proves that you really don't know what you're talking about.

First of all, I agree that this thread needs to be kept to Tyus-related things only.

However, I cannot let someone post something like this without correcting them. In regards to forcing out Justin and Colt, you are absolutely wrong. You are also dead wrong about him wanting Al to leave. And that knowledge isnt 2nd or 3rd hand - its 1st. In regards to Devoe; he broke rules - enough said there. I don't have any knowledge about the Chip situation, perhaps you are right. Regardless, Chip doesnt compare to Otto in terms of production or potential.

Chip doesnt compare to Otto in terms of production or potential.

I'm assuming you are saying that Oto is far more productive than Chip was and has more potential. If that's the case, I would have to disagree. I am by no means bashing Oto because I think he has been a very effective role player at times, but Chip showed the ability to be a playmaker with his ability to get his own shot and get hot. Chip had a tendency to force things too much and turn the ball over a lot, plus he was the definition of a chucker, but he still showed plenty of production and potential in his time here.

Am I crazy for thinking it's between us and Duke for Tyus? UNC's on the decline, After what he saw at Rupp against A&M I doubt he'd wanna go to Kentucky, Kansas hasn't had a PG good enough for the NBA since Chalmers and Baylor has a Freshman PG in L.J Rose who will takeover for Pierre Jackson after this season. From what I've heard and read he loves the local teams so would he want to come back here and face his hometown school? I don't think he would. So that'd take away Mich St and Ohio St.

What Dre has done in his time here by turning into a potential lottery pick in the draft after next has to help our chances with Tyus. Also playing in front of Family and friends won't hurt either. Duke is a great school that has a GREAT coach and GREAT tradition. Something I hope Tyus considers is will Quinn Cook be gone by the time he steps on campus? Would he want to share playing time with Cook? Maybe i'm dreaming. I probably am :(

I would bet it comes down to us and Duke too. If he wants to leave the state, he'll probably choose Duke. If he wants to stay close to home, he probably chooses the Gophers. If Andre leads us deep into March it will only help our chances. I'm not giving up hope until he signs his LOI.

Am I crazy for thinking it's between us and Duke for Tyus? UNC's on the decline, After what he saw at Rupp against A&M I doubt he'd wanna go to Kentucky, Kansas hasn't had a PG good enough for the NBA since Chalmers and Baylor has a Freshman PG in L.J Rose who will takeover for Pierre Jackson after this season. From what I've heard and read he loves the local teams so would he want to come back here and face his hometown school? I don't think he would. So that'd take away Mich St and Ohio St.

What Dre has done in his time here by turning into a potential lottery pick in the draft after next has to help our chances with Tyus. Also playing in front of Family and friends won't hurt either. Duke is a great school that has a GREAT coach and GREAT tradition. Something I hope Tyus considers is will Quinn Cook be gone by the time he steps on campus? Would he want to share playing time with Cook? Maybe i'm dreaming. I probably am :(

I would think Cook would be gone by then. Also, what about the whole Okafor thing? I think they're going to Duke, but maybe that's not earth shattering or anything. So more realistically, the U and student section should be going hard for Rashad Vaughn IMO.

I would think Cook would be gone by then. Also, what about the whole Okafor thing? I think they're going to Duke, but maybe that's not earth shattering or anything. So more realistically, the U and student section should be going hard for Rashad Vaughn IMO.

I'm not so sure about Cook being gone. Unless he has a great junior season next season I don't think he gets picked in the first round and I don't think he leaves unless he's a first round pick. The Okafor situation will make it very tough but I wouldn't be surprised if they went their separate ways. At the U he'd be a part of a growing basketball program that's selling out games every night now, he could possibly play with Vaughn and Reid forming the Minnesota big 3, play in front of his Family and friends all while playing for his hometown school. Why should we focus in on 1 player why not try and get all 3? I also believe we're front runners with Vaughn.

EDIT
I'm not so sure about Cook being gone. Unless he has a great junior season next season I don't think he gets picked in the first round and I don't think he leaves unless he's a first round pick. The Okafor situation will make it very tough but I wouldn't be surprised if they went their separate ways. At the U he'd be a part of a growing basketball program that's selling out games every night now, he could possibly play with Vaughn and Reid forming the Minnesota big 3, play in front of his Family and friends all while playing for his hometown school. Why should we focus in on 1 player why not try and get all 3? I also believe we're front runners with Vaughn.

Yeah I mean by all means go for all 3, I would love for all 3 to come and form a MN Big 3 that would be sick. This season and it's success may have large implications on decisions. Best case scenario is what you described hands down. It just seems at this point we aren't front runners for Tyus but obviously things can change due to situations you described.

Yeah I mean by all means go for all 3, I would love for all 3 to come and form a MN Big 3 that would be sick. This season and it's success may have large implications on decisions. Best case scenario is what you described hands down. It just seems at this point we aren't front runners for Tyus but obviously things can change due to situations you described.

I think you forgot to log into your other account before replying to yourself there.

One factor that might need to be taken into account, if Tyus and Vaughn are considering going to Duke, is what conference will Duke be in 2 years from now?

I've heard some things from a pretty reliable source that the ACC is in trouble, and will probably break up with as many as 5 teams heading to the Big Ten and the rest being picked up by the SEC and The Big 12 or being left out in the wind. Duke is not high on any conferences list of targets. Other than bb, they don't offer much of anything that Confs want, that they don't already have, and I mean that in the sense that UNC is going to be one of the B1G's main targets.

This source has also said that every single team in the ACC has expressed interest in moving to other conferences, with 7 or 8 expressing interest in the B1G. It's likely that Duke, though not a highly sought after school by any of the conferences, will end up as the 19th team taken into the B1G 20 Conference, with Notre Dame slated as the 20th member.

So basically, going to Duke might mean playing in the Big Ten conference, although with so many teams its probably not going to mean alot of games vs Minnesota. But I think the main issue for someone looking at Duke, would be the fact that we do not know whether Duke will get picked up by the Big Ten or not. They may go after an Oklahoma instead, since with UNC we'd already have that area covered, and we need more help with fb than with bb, so OU would be a better fit, seeing as we already have Nebraska. Would make dividing up the West alot easier as well, for OU and Neb would just be grouped with Mn, Ia and Wisc.

Not sure how soon before all of this breaks and becomes national news, but I'm hoping before Tyus and Vaughn and Reid make their commitments.

One factor that might need to be taken into account, if Tyus and Vaughn are considering going to Duke, is what conference will Duke be in 2 years from now?
I've heard some things from a pretty reliable source that the ACC is in trouble, and will probably break up with as many as 5 teams heading to the Big Ten and the rest being picked up by the SEC and The Big 12 or being left out in the wind. Duke is not high on any conferences list of targets. Other than bb, they don't offer much of anything that Confs want, that they don't already have, and I mean that in the sense that UNC is going to be one of the B1G's main targets. This source has also said that every single team in the ACC has expressed interest in moving to other conferences, with 7 or 8 expressing interest in the B1G. It's likely that Duke, though not a highly sought after school by any of the conferences, will end up as the 19th team taken into the B1G 20 Conference, with Notre Dame slated as the 20th member. So basically, going to Duke might mean playing in the Big Ten conference, although with so many teams its probably not going to mean alot of games vs Minnesota. But I think the main issue for someone looking at Duke, would be the fact that we do not know whether Duke will get picked up by the Big Ten or not. They may go after an Oklahoma instead, since with UNC we'd already have that area covered, and we need more help with fb than with bb, so OU would be a better fit, seeing as we already have Nebraska. Would make dividing up the West alot easier as well, for OU and Neb would just be grouped with Mn, Ia and Wisc.

Not sure how soon before all of this breaks and becomes national news, but I'm hoping before Tyus and Vaughn and Reid make their commitments.

Wow, whoa... My mind is blown!!!
I had not heard of this info... That would make the big 10 insanely large and even more competitive in any sport...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom