Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The official list, straight from Tyus:

"@Tyusjones06: I have officially narrowed my college choices to... Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, UNC"

Beat me to it lol love that he put it in alphabetic order so people couldn't read into that too.

Glad to see Gophers made the cut!!!!

Beat me to it lol love that he put it in alphabetic order so people couldn't read into that too.

Glad to see Gophers made the cut!!!!

I know right. I was preparing to analyze the order of the list for at least 10 minutes haha. He sure is a tease though. He tweeted about revealing the list in 10 minutes and then waits 25 to reveal it.

That said, whether if it is by pity or real interest, we are in the top 8. Work some magic, Tubby.

I know right. I was preparing to analyze the order of the list for at least 10 minutes haha. He sure is a tease though. He tweeted about revealing the list in 10 minutes and then waits 25 to reveal it.

That said, whether if it is by pity or real interest, we are in the top 8. Work some magic, Tubby.

Agreed. I was shocked he listed Baylor first before I realized it haha

Hopefully we can some how pull this out. Vaughn and Tyus would be absolutely incredible.

The official list, straight from Tyus:

"@Tyusjones06: I have officially narrowed my college choices to... Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, UNC"

'ol roy gets nothing out of his talent... so UNC is out.
same for baylor... they are out.
duke has no offense.. 4 shooter jacking 3's and one 'big' chases rebounds. so duke is out.
if you are staying in the big10, the only 'feel good' choice is Izzo... so OSU is out.
Kentucky does not have the same Midwest feel that Kansas does ( just ask Cole Aldrich ). Kentucky is out.

final 3:
MSU
Kansas
Minnie

'ol roy gets nothing out of his talent... so UNC is out.
same for baylor... they are out.
duke has no offense.. 4 shooter jacking 3's and one 'big' chases rebounds. so duke is out.
if you are staying in the big10, the only 'feel good' choice is Izzo... so OSU is out.
Kentucky does not have the same Midwest feel that Kansas does ( just ask Cole Aldrich ). Kentucky is out.

final 3:
MSU
Kansas
Minnie

I don't get your logic at all. Picking Izzo is a "feel good" choice? The same guy who is yelling and screaming every game? These are rhetorical questions. Your initial analysis was so convoluted there is no explaining it.

Yeah, except for all those conference titles, final fours, national championships, and first round draft picks, 'ol roy gets nothing out of his talent.

I havent really followed along that closely - were there any suprise schools that didnt make the cut? or is this really not news at all?

There were rumors that Maryland might have been in the running. Baylor is a surprise to me, but I may have missed the news about that. Everything else is pretty much what was expected.

I really think it all depends on what we do this year. If we make a sweet 16 run we have a great shot at him. Otherwise, its going to be tough.

There were rumors that Maryland might have been in the running. Baylor is a surprise to me, but I may have missed the news about that. Everything else is pretty much what was expected.

I think the talk of Maryland was related to Rashad Vaughn, or was there talk of Tyus looking at Maryland as well?

I don't get your logic at all. Picking Izzo is a "feel good" choice? The same guy who is yelling and screaming every game? These are rhetorical questions. Your initial analysis was so convoluted there is no explaining it.

you need to ring up Dahlman and alan anderson and ask why they went to play for a HOF coach who is regarded as #1 by most sites as 'the coach theyd most love to play for'.. matta crawled out from the aau underworld..

Your analysis isn't worth my time, dboy. You said Sullinger would never be an All-American and then when he was you just changed your argument. With Minnesota being the in-state school, calling MSU the "feel good" choice is just bizarre.

Your analysis isn't worth my time, dboy. You said Sullinger would never be an All-American and then when he was you just changed your argument. With Minnesota being the in-state school, calling MSU the "feel good" choice is just bizarre.

Isiah & Alan wouldn't take your call?
maybe i need clarify my first post:

if you are staying in the big10 and aren't staying home, the only 'feel good' choice is Izzo... so OSU is out.

sorry that OSU is not where minnie boys go.. maybe it has to do with Izzo being from the U.P. and playing hockey.. or maybe it has to do with matta only playing 6 guys and then fading in the big dance... Ross, et. al. only getting garbage minutes last year? the 2nd five at OSU last year would have finished middle-of-the-pack in the big10.. not sure why matta cannot find playing time for them. so if you don't plan on starting at OSU, plan on riding pine.

now i would guess tyus would start at OSU? but if not, he'd average 2 minutes per game.. not exactly a great spot for the #1 recruit.

thanks for dredging up sullie.
first, i said Barnes was the one not deserving of pre-season all-am honors as a freshman.. ( "count it").
second, i said Sullie was overrated ( "count it" ).

Marcus tweet: "Wouldn't count #Gophers totally out of the mix. But I think Duke and Mich St are in real good shape with Tyus right now."

Go Gophers!!

Amelia blog: Tyus Jones on Minnesota: "They've been there since the beginning of it all ... that’s why they’re still one of my final schools."

“You know, they’ve been there since the beginning of it all.,” he said Tuesday of the Gophers. “They’re the hometown school, so I grew up watching them. I’ve got a good relationship with coach [Tubby] Smith and coach [Ron] Jirsa and the coaching staff there. There one of the first schools that started recruiting me and I like what they’re doing over there. So that’s why they’re still one of my final schools I’m looking at.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/177579081.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

"They've been there since the beginning of it all ... that’s why they’re still one of my final schools."

Essentially saying, "They're local and they were in on me early", nothing at all like "I'm actually interested in playing basketball for them."

Essentially saying, "They're local and they were in on me early", nothing at all like "I'm actually interested in playing basketball for them."

You never know what's on a kid's mind. Perhaps he has really formed a strong relationship with the staff and maybe he would love to play there if he can at least see that the team is moving forward and is maybe a couple pieces like him and Rashad away from actually getting to that Final Four level. I think he is interested, but also knows he isn't gonna walk into a situation where it's not clicking here when he's got all those other options elsewhere.

Agree with dp. Not that I blame Tyus for taking the political route, but his comments do pretty much sound like lip service. Unless the Gophers knock his socks off with a stellar 2012-13 season -- then we might have a chance -- I think it's going to be Michigan State or Duke.

It shouldn't wouldn't hurt matters if the Gophs knock off Duke in the Battle4Atlantis.

per Shooter:

The highly anticipated Apple Valley-Robbinsdale Cooper basketball game featuring nationally ranked guards Tyus Jones and Rashad Vaughn, respectively, is 3 p.m. Jan. 5 as part of the Timberwolves' Shootout at Target Center. A crowd of nearly 5,000 is expected.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21956726/shooter-now-timberwolves-still-finding-their-way-david

Go Gophers!!

That is a Saturday, and the Gophers have a HOME game vs. Northwestern on Sunday the 6th. I would wager a small amount that Tubby, Staff, plus other scouts will be there.

Hoops dream: Tyus Jones could be a program maker for Gophers

"He's not Chris Paul, but he's the closest high school point guard to Paul I've seen," ESPN recruiting expert Dave Telep told the Pioneer Press. "I'm sure Tubby Smith wants to win in the worst way. He wants to be able to counter the arguments that other schools are going to have with their tradition and their recent success. Tyus Jones is going to be recruited to be the final piece to make a national championship run for another team. That's the one thing Tubby Smith is up against."

"They're a school I'm really considering," Jones told the Pioneer Press last week. "I liked what I saw. I think they played very well. They go inside to their bigs, especially going high-low. That was good to see. They had great ball pressure. It was just good overall team defense. (Point guard Andre Hollins) made big strides at the end of last year with his play. That was good to see. He should have a big year for them this year."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21990546/hoops-dream-tyus-jones-could-be-program-maker

Go Gophers!!

I just cannot see a kid like Tyus coming here. When you see the exposure teams like UK, Duke, etc get, I don't think we have a chance. Seeing Tyus on twitter re-tweeting his highlights, and such it seems he loves the attention (who can blame him), and he will get the most national attention at Uk, Duke, etc. I hope I am wrong in every sense of the word and he joins the maroon and gold, but I just don't see it.

glad that Tyus does not feel the same way or he would have not named us a finalist. Better to cut us early to clarify recruiting than to string us along if we do not have a chance.

I just cannot see a kid like Tyus coming here. When you see the exposure teams like UK, Duke, etc get, I don't think we have a chance. Seeing Tyus on twitter re-tweeting his highlights, and such it seems he loves the attention (who can blame him), and he will get the most national attention at Uk, Duke, etc. I hope I am wrong in every sense of the word and he joins the maroon and gold, but I just don't see it.

Ya because Jimmer Fredette didn't get any publicity at that high profile Mormon school.

Ya because Jimmer Fredette didn't get any publicity at that high profile Mormon school.

Great point. An elite point guard can make a great name for himself and have a legacy going to a less than elite school. Steph Curry is another kid who comes to mind. Keep going back and you'll see a legacy of greats who picked up their team from obscurity to legacy. My favorite is Pistol Pete going to LSU.

I think some of that had to do with the ESPN hype machine. BYU was going independent the next year in football and signed a 7 year agreement with ESPN. Not to take anything away from what Jimmer did in college, but I think ESPN used him to gain a little more awareness for BYU. In exchange, Jimmer got drafted a little higher than he probably should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom