Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some of that had to do with the ESPN hype machine. BYU was going independent the next year in football and signed a 7 year agreement with ESPN. Not to take anything away from what Jimmer did in college, but I think ESPN used him to gain a little more awareness for BYU. In exchange, Jimmer got drafted a little higher than he probably should have.

True, ESPN certainly helped, but keep in mind that Minnesota is in the Big Ten. If he comes here and we become a top 3 Big Ten team, that is top 10 in the nation and legitimate national title contenders. If Tyus is the main factor in that, combined with being the #1 recruit, he will most certainly get the publicity he wants.

What is more impressive, going to Duke and turning a top 10 team in to the same top 10 team. Or coming to your hometown school and turning a top 30 team into a top 10 school.

I read an article that put it perfectly that was posted on here a while back: " It's harder to win the Big Ten than it is to get to the final four."

In short: What college you go to, as long as it is in one of the 6 major conferences, has little effect on how you make it as a pro. The Big Ten is the best conference in America, he'd be in the spotlight.

Some of the players who went in the NBA first round the past three years:

Damian Lillard – Weber St.
Maurice Harkless – St. John’s
Royce White – Iowa St.
Andrew Nicholson – St. Bonaventure
John Jenkins – Vanderbilt
Jared Cunningham – Oregon St.
Arnett Moultrie – Mississippi St.
Festus Ezeli – Vanderbilt

Jimmer Fredette - BYU
Alec Burks – Colorado
Kawhi Leonard – San Diego St.
Nikola Vucevic – USC
Kenneth Faried – Morehead St.
MarShon Brooks – Providence
Norris Cole – Cleveland St.

Gordon Hayward – Butler
Paul George – Fresno St.
Larry Sanders – VCU
Luke Babbitt – Nevada
Craig Brackins – Iowa St.
Trevor Booker – Clemson
Dominique Jones – USF
Jordan Crawford - Xavier

True, ESPN certainly helped, but keep in mind that Minnesota is in the Big Ten. If he comes here and we become a top 3 Big Ten team, that is top 10 in the nation and legitimate national title contenders. If Tyus is the main factor in that, combined with being the #1 recruit, he will most certainly get the publicity he wants.

I agree that he'll have plenty of exposure in the Big Ten. If he brings Okafor along with him, they'd get TONS of exposure.

I was just trying to point out that Jimmer's publicity may not have been entirely linked to his play.

I agree that he'll have plenty of exposure in the Big Ten. If he brings Okafor along with him, they'd get TONS of exposure.

Bring Rashad into the picture as well and let's just say, I don't think we'll have to worry about too many games on BTN.com that year lol. Exposure follows great players, we'd be a top 10 preseason team most likely assuming we just play decent the next two years if we brought those three in, so that won't be an issue at all.

Based on his responses to each school, I would predict the following cut downs:

Final 5: Duke, Michigan State, Minnesota, Kansas, and Kentucky.

Final 3: Duke, Michigan state, Minnesota.

Final 1: Duke.

Hopefully we can get Vaughn and Reid.

When is the last time we beat out Duke, Mich St, Kansas and Kentucky for a recruit?

Based on his responses to each school, I would predict the following cut downs:

Final 5: Duke, Michigan State, Minnesota, Kansas, and Kentucky.

Final 3: Duke, Michigan state, Minnesota.

Final 1: Duke.

Hopefully we can get Vaughn and Reid.

You may be underestimating TJ's loyalties. After all, he didn't transfer to Hopkins now did he?

If he goes to Duke I will buy him a seat cushion to permanently attach to his rear end. He's gonna be flopping on it a lot. Consider it my gift to the Minnesota talent.

When is the last time we beat out Duke, Mich St, Kansas and Kentucky for a recruit?

Didn't Devoe and RSIII have those types of offers? And one Royce White? But that was early when there was excitement behind the new arrival of Tubby. I think that can happen again, but he's gotta produce something on the court to make these kids believe.

When is the last time all of those schools were recruiting someone from Minnesota?

Didn't Devoe and RSIII have those types of offers? And one Royce White? But that was early when there was excitement behind the new arrival of Tubby. I think that can happen again, but he's gotta produce something on the court to make these kids believe.

Beats me. Maybe SS or someone can help out here.

2009 for Michigan State, Royce White.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/b...White-65384;_ylt=An1qEu7Lk8zlXvxaLvaf.fzFspB4

2008 for Kentucky, RSIII had offers from them and Maryland among others.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Ralph-Sampson III-34318

2009 for Kansas, Bryant Allen was offered by Kansas, Missouri, and Indiana.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/b...Allen-77506;_ylt=AsDPIoyVPoXU5itmIp6d_XDFspB4

Humphries in 2003 was the last time we beat Duke for a recruit.

I'm confident that if Tubby and the squad have a strong year, ie 25+ victories and a good run in the tournament, we'll have an exponentially better shot at landing some of those guys than we do now. Hate on Tubby all you want but he is still very much a respected coach and is well thought of. The deficiencies in Minnesota's program image, facilities, etc are a much larger detriment to recruiting then Tubby's own effort.

These next few years will be pretty pivotal for the future of Gopher basketball, if we win we will be able to recruit better at a very opportune time, and we will be able to raise funds more easily because of the team's success. If this team wins, we build the practice facility, and answer the Williams arena question things could snowball. This year is big, very big.

Westcoaster is right on...Tyus is looking for MN to progress this year, including concrete plans for a practice facility.

Yes, it seems that Tyus was impressed with our competitors' facilities. The young folk do indeed like the bling.

But say what you want about Tubby, he's known Tyus since the young man was in 5th grade. There's a long term relationship there. Keep on cheering student section, MN is not out of this yet no matter what Izzie and Coach K have to offer.

No, I haven't been smoking or drinking.

If Tyus is making his decision based on a practice facility then we are out. Tyus isn't staying 4 years and we won't have one while he is here.

What is more impressive, going to Duke and turning a top 10 team in to the same top 10 team. Or coming to your hometown school and turning a top 30 team into a top 10 school.

I read an article that put it perfectly that was posted on here a while back: " It's harder to win the Big Ten than it is to get to the final four."

In short: What college you go to, as long as it is in one of the 6 major conferences, has little effect on how you make it as a pro. The Big Ten is the best conference in America, he'd be in the spotlight.

I wouldn't say that. To be a national title contender, you've got to have more than Jones. He may be the closest thing to Chris Paul in the 10 or so classes since his, but you know how far Chris Paul took Wake Forest in the NCAA tourney? Not very far! The Sweet 16 was the farthest he took them. And Wake had some other very talented players in his last season in college (Danelius, Williams, Gray, Downey, Strickland, Levy is clearly a more talented group than what the Gophers would put around Tyus at this time) but went out in the Round of 32 as a #2 seed. Now, if the Gophers were to get Jones, Okafor, Vaughn and Reid, then you could say you would have a national title contender. But just Jones plus the other guys that are projected to be on the team at this point won't be enough to make a national title contender.

It is much more likely that Jones would be on an NC contender at Duke than Minnesota, though Duke has only made one F4 since 2004 (less than others on his list like UK, KU, MSU and OSU) it was also a season where the Blue Devils won it all.

I was just trying to point out that Jimmer's publicity may not have been entirely linked to his play.

Not to kill wishful thinking, but we have ZERO chance with Okafor. Nil, nada, nothing.

Charley Walters: Gophers vs. Duke could sway top recruits

The University of Minnesota men's basketball game against Duke on Thanksgiving Day could significantly affect the Gophers' recruiting future.

Expected to be tuned in are high school juniors Tyus Jones of Apple Valley and Rashad Vaughn of Robbinsdale Cooper. Jones has been offered a tender by Duke. Vaughn is high on Duke's recruiting list. Minnesota is salivating for both.

Jones is the No. 1-ranked junior in the nation by ESPN; Vaughn is No. 9. Jones is the No. 1 point guard, Vaughn is the No. 1 shooting guard.

The Gophers are unranked, but a victory over the No. 9 Blue Devils could be persuasive.

Jones and Vaughn face each other in the Timberwolves' shootout prep tournament Jan. 5 at Target Center before the Wolves' game against Portland.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22019177/charley-walters-gophers-vs-duke-could-sway-top

Go Gophers!!

Yeah he tweeted "is the barn gonna be rocking tonight!?" or something like that.

An excellent night for Tyus to be there. What a game, and what a finish from the Gophs. Just watching on TV you could feel the energy in the barn. Did anyone get a Tyus chant going?

No Tyus chant.

To be honest, He looked very disinterested in the game from his body language. I didn't see him stand once, and he left early. He always had his head turned, and I doubt he actually watched much basketball.

Maybe that is just the way he is, but that is what I observed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom