Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JR Rider was smart enough to play in NBA so why would it be worth mentioning that Tyus is smart enough?

Because if Tyus has the basketball IQ of an NBA player as a Junior in high school, that's pretty impressive.

To bad your buddy shooter never mentioned the subjective and impossible to quantify Basketball IQ, or any skill set of Jones being NBA ready as a Junior. THE SCOUT!

I agree. Being smart enough definitely refers to basketball IQ (making good passes, picking up an unguarded player, being an overall good teammate, etc...). I'm sure there are plenty of college players that were athletically gifted enough to play in the NBA, but simply couldn't handle schemes well enough or had attitude issues.

I can say with reasonable certainty that Tyus can run Tubby's offense of taking the air out of the ball until 5 seconds are left on the shot clock and then trying to create something from there. If too creative, Tubby will pull him for some walk-on caliber player

To bad your buddy shooter never mentioned the subjective and impossible to quantify Basketball IQ, or any skill set of Jones being NBA ready as a Junior. THE SCOUT!

Do you always emphatically yell your own name after you say something, or is that only when you think you said something intelligent?

The positives on Tyus going to the U of MN is that he could prove to all NBA scouts that he can carry a team to victory. At Duke he'll just be one of 12 guys who might claim to make that point. While Duke certainly is vying for National championships in college their track record for developing great NBA players isn't nearly that impressive. Tyus may have a better opportunity to prove his NBA worth at a school like Minnesota rather than a national powerhouse. As a point guard he may want to emulate Pistol Pete and go to a school where he can make a serious difference. In any case, best wishes to the young man.

It doesn't really matter where you go if you're a top-5 recruit ... with the exception that you need to go where a coach will utilize you correctly. AND if I'm a PG I would be very concerned about playing for Tubby. He is not a PG friendly coach.

Conversely, for the few elite schools (Duke & NCU), if you're not a top-10 recruit, you're just another replaceable cog on the machine ... nothing special. As an example, say you are a #25 recruit. It's not unusual for a NCU or Duke have 4-8 players ranked higher than that. And one or two of those higher rated players may playing ahead of you at your position. A lesser school (Minnesota?) rarely has multiple players ranked higher than #25, almost assuring you of PT. You are not going to improve without PT.

It doesn't really matter where you go if you're a top-5 recruit ... with the exception that you need to go where a coach will utilize you correctly. AND if I'm a PG I would be very concerned about playing for Tubby. He is not a PG friendly coach.

Conversely, for the few elite schools (Duke & NCU), if you're not a top-10 recruit, you're just another replaceable cog on the machine ... nothing special. As an example, say you are a #25 recruit. It's not unusual for a NCU or Duke have 4-8 players ranked higher than that. And one or two of those higher rated players may playing ahead of you at your position. A lesser school (Minnesota?) rarely has multiple players ranked higher than #25, almost assuring you of PT. You are not going to improve without PT.

Let's see how "PG friendly" Tubby is this year with Andre. Seemed like Dre did fairly well at the end of last year.

Let's see how "PG friendly" Tubby is this year with Andre. Seemed like Dre did fairly well at the end of last year.
I've lost faith in Tubby. He's an old dog that has lost the Fire to work as hard as needed and is unwilling to learn new tricks. To paraphrase Tubby himself ..."My system has worked in the past and I'm going to keep using it no matter what." Well the two-handed set-shot worked in the past too Tubby. Times change.

Andre did do well late last year. In fact, he started playing well just about the time the roster got so thin that he didn't have to keep looking over to the bench, expecting to be taken out every time he made a mistake. Well Tubby now has a deeper roster and I hope Tubby has loosened the leash a bit on Andre. I'm a bit pessimistic, but I hope to be proven wrong.

Tyus was back in action at the Minnetonka Fall League after sitting out a few weeks with his thumb injury. He looked as good as ever and even threw down a couple of dunks. He had his right thumb taped, but it did not appear that the thumb was bothering him at all. Apple Valley looked very good today. They will be very deep and have more size than they have had in the past. They also have several very good shoters. AV will be tough to beat this season.

I can say with reasonable certainty that Tyus can run Tubby's offense of taking the air out of the ball until 5 seconds are left on the shot clock and then trying to create something from there. If too creative, Tubby will pull him for some walk-on caliber player

Now I know why the GH Gestapo thought we were one in the same person...

Indeed, you have described Tubby's offense to perfection! I keep hoping Tubby will hire an offensive assistant to take over development of a half-court offense that actually has some semblance of movement that creates open looks and isolates an opponents weakness. I was hoping that Saul's DUI might be the ticket...

I'd love to see Tyus in Maroon and Gold, but he'd need to have the leash taken off. Given the right situation he could position himself as a Pistol Pete type of player for the Gophers.

Tyus was back in action at the Minnetonka Fall League after sitting out a few weeks with his thumb injury. He looked as good as ever and even threw down a couple of dunks. He had his right thumb taped, but it did not appear that the thumb was bothering him at all. Apple Valley looked very good today. They will be very deep and have more size than they have had in the past. They also have several very good shoters. AV will be tough to beat this season.

Gotta think they'd be disappointed if they don't make it to state this year. Big Brock will help, but I'll tell you a kid I'd love to have on my team if I was coaching HS ball - Dustin Fronk. Can really shoot the ball & do a lot of things well, but it's his demeanor and style of play that I like the best.

Will have to take in at least several AV games this year.. wish they'd change school colors though. Might be the worst ever.

per Shama (the bolded part sounds as if they already know he'll go out of state)

U Likely in Tyus Jones Top 5
October 29, 2012 - (0) comments

Debbie Jones told Sports Headliners she hopes her son Tyus Jones can narrow his college choices to five finalists in the coming weeks. “I would probably say in the next month or so,” Debbie said.

Tyus, with a reputation as the best high school point guard in the country for the class of 2014, is considering the Gophers and many other schools. His mother wasn’t specific about how many schools but said the decision to arrive at a list of five will be made by Tyus and family members.

Will the Gophers be among the final five? “I can’t say for sure. I would think they would be in the five,” Debbie said.

Debbie also said there’s no target date as to when a final college choice will be made by Tyus who is becoming a prep legend in Minnesota and will lead an Apple Valley High School team with ambitions to become state champions. She acknowledged her son’s popularity and support among Minnesotans is a factor in the Gophers favor.

“That’s the hardest part for all of us because that is there and it is a pretty big deal,” Debbie said. “It comes down to taking everything into consideration.”

Before narrowing the choices of colleges to five, Tyus wants to visit Kansas and Kentucky. Travel dates haven’t been established.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama (the bolded part sounds as if they already know he'll go out of state)

Debbie Jones told Sports Headliners she hopes her son Tyus Jones can narrow his college choices to five finalists in the coming weeks. “I would probably say in the next month or so,” Debbie said.

Tyus, with a reputation as the best high school point guard in the country for the class of 2014, is considering the Gophers and many other schools. His mother wasn’t specific about how many schools but said the decision to arrive at a list of five will be made by Tyus and family members.

Will the Gophers be among the final five? “I can’t say for sure. I would think they would be in the five,” Debbie said.

Debbie also said there’s no target date as to when a final college choice will be made by Tyus who is becoming a prep legend in Minnesota and will lead an Apple Valley High School team with ambitions to become state champions. She acknowledged her son’s popularity and support among Minnesotans is a factor in the Gophers favor.

“That’s the hardest part for all of us because that is there and it is a pretty big deal,” Debbie said. “It comes down to taking everything into consideration.”

Before narrowing the choices of colleges to five, Tyus wants to visit Kansas and Kentucky. Travel dates haven’t been established.

Go Gophers!!

http://www.nationofblue.com/kentucky-in-the-mix-for-possible-2014-package-deal/

Forget Okafor. Form a package deal with Rashad Vaughn and don't go to school where you'll just be another face in the crowd. Ask Kentucky fans who Anthony Davis is and they'll say, "who?"

Go to Kentucky and I'll have no choice but to hope you fail, Tyus. Nothing personal, but... it's Kentucky. For that matter, same thing applies if you go to another B1G school.

Doubt Tyus is dumb enough to believe that Kentucky fans do not remember A. Davis.

Go Gophers!!

I read that earlier and had the same thought.

They need to start a we want Tyus cheer at the very least.

Go Gophers!!

i think its the opposite.. 'that is there'... is obviously the gophers.. so staying in-state is 'a pretty big deal'..
the question is whether the out-state lure is a bigger deal....

and no way he goes to Duke.
dukes offense: one 'big' rebounding missed 3's... no fast breaks.
last two pg's were forced into being ball hogs: Rivers and Irving.
neither got better under K.
neither ran an offense..

Couldn't make it out to the barn tonight, can someone let me know if the fans showed any love at all for Tyus? (I doubt it)

Couldn't make it out to the barn tonight, can someone let me know if the fans showed any love at all for Tyus? (I doubt it)

Nope, at least I didn't hear anything. I didn't know he was gonna be there.

Yeah - they did. I believe it was right after a timeout in the 2nd half. The classic "We Want Tyus" chant. I looked over quick and he pointed at the students.

There was definately a "We want Tyus" chant from the student section. It went on for a short period of time until Tyus waved his hand to the student section, I can only assume in appreciation.

per Doogie Scoops:

"Apple Valley High School point guard Tyus Jones -- the No. 1 recruit in the class of 2014, according to ESPN -- is expected to narrow his college list in the next month. He can start taking official visits in January."

http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sID=5935

Go Gophers!!

Tweet from Jones earlier today:

"Tyusjones06: Official list coming soon"

The official list, straight from Tyus:

"@Tyusjones06: I have officially narrowed my college choices to... Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, UNC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom