Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZ to be cocky when all you do is win...they are almost as bad as Kentucky fans!

Duke's Tyus thread. Ran across it checking out their site leading up to Thurs. game.

http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=179925078&mid=179925078&sid=1021&style=2

They have a Gavin Schilling thread, too. Apparently, Schilling and K have mutual interest, but Schilling has yet to be offered. Also on the board, I saw some discussion about Minnesota. Their only concern about the Gophs is Rodney. They acknowledged that he is an athletic freak, and multiple posters seemed to think they don't have anyone who can match up with him. But other than Rodney, they think they are the far superior team.

I dont even want to click on there... My brother is a Duke fan.... they are gross.

Duke, Kentucky, N.C., Kansas, UCLA, just too "corporate" for my taste. I hope Coach K understands just how fearful he should be of Rodney's jump over Plumlee and out of the gym prowess. No one else on the Gophers really matters of course, but we humble Gopher fans all know this. Shh, don't reveal the secret.

'ol roy gets nothing out of his talent... so UNC is out.
same for baylor... they are out.
duke has no offense.. 4 shooter jacking 3's and one 'big' chases rebounds. so duke is out.
if you are staying in the big10 and not staying home, the only 'feel good' choice is Izzo... so OSU is out.
Kentucky does not have the same Midwest feel that Kansas does ( just ask Cole Aldrich ). Kentucky is out.

final 3:
MSU
Kansas
Minnie

hate to reply to my own reply...
but after watching Paige from Iowa and UNC get destroyed by Butler, UNC is out... like I said earlier, 'ol roy gets nothing out of his talent.

you'll see duke is out after we play them.. plumlee is the 'big' who chases down missed 3's.. everyone else stands and waits to jack a 3... no fun for a PG... PG's love to lead breaks and lob up passes that are jammed.. not dukes style. you'll see.

i'm still going with
MSU
minnie
Kansas

Amelia Rayno said if she had to put a percentage on it, that she'd give it a 5% chance that Tyus ends up here. (Vaughn 30 and Reid 35)

They have a Gavin Schilling thread, too. Apparently, Schilling and K have mutual interest, but Schilling has yet to be offered. Also on the board, I saw some discussion about Minnesota. Their only concern about the Gophs is Rodney. They acknowledged that he is an athletic freak, and multiple posters seemed to think they don't have anyone who can match up with him. But other than Rodney, they think they are the far superior team.

Good luck with Trev Duke.

Curious to hear how she pulled those numbers out of her a$$. I've never understood people putting percentages on recruits going somewhere.

Amelia Rayno said if she had to put a percentage on it, that she'd give it a 5% chance that Tyus ends up here. (Vaughn 30 and Reid 35)

Here is what surprises on Tyus......everyone thinks the kid has a good shot at signing with duke.....a school where if you go to their message board, there is a thread there on Tyus with 44 total posts. 44 posts with many of them having the more educated posters explain to other duke posters who Tyus is.....then in the gopher hole we have a Tyus thread that today has 851 posts dedicated to Tyus and his recruitment.

Granted Tyus is a local kid so most of us are more into his recruitment.....but man Tyus you could go somewhere else and be just another top recruit....,or you could stay home and be a legend. Same can be said for both Vaughn and Reid......come on guys.....lets do this.....stay home and win the big ten together the very next year!

Here is what surprises on Tyus......everyone thinks the kid has a good shot at signing with duke.....a school where if you go to their message board, there is a thread there on Tyus with 44 total posts. 44 posts with many of them having the more educated posters explain to other duke posters who Tyus is.....then in the gopher hole we have a Tyus thread that today has 851 posts dedicated to Tyus and his recruitment.

Granted Tyus is a local kid so most of us are more into his recruitment.....but man Tyus you could go somewhere else and be just another top recruit....,or you could stay home and be a legend. Same can be said for both Vaughn and Reid......come on guys.....lets do this.....stay home and win the big ten together the very next year!

Pretty hard to call the #1 recruit in the nation 'just another top recruit'.

Not really, I get what he's saying. Do you think people will be nearly as excited about Tyus at Duke, UNC, or even Michigan State as people here would be? Obviously they would be very happy about getting the top recruit in the nation and he will be loved wherever he goes (assuming he has success) but if he comes here and does big things then he will be an absolute legend. Now should this and will this be enough to persuade Tyus to come here? I have no idea, but its hard to deny that the situations wouldn't be different.

Fair enough......but I was trying to compare the excitement for Tyus on our board vs their board.

+1.

Not really, I get what he's saying. Do you think people will be nearly as excited about Tyus at Duke, UNC, or even Michigan State as people here would be? Obviously they would be very happy about getting the top recruit in the nation and he will be loved wherever he goes (assuming he has success) but if he comes here and does big things then he will be an absolute legend. Now should this and will this be enough to persuade Tyus to come here? I have no idea, but its hard to deny that the situations wouldn't be different.

+1. Just think to yourself...would Mauer be who he is today if he were drafted by someone other than the Twins? Sure, he'd likely still have the batting titles, the MVP, the endorsements, etc., but people in Minnesota will still be saying his name 100 years from now. If he played for the Yankees, he'd be forgotten within a year or two and people would be saying "He's no Munson". If Jones comes here, future MN HS/Gopher recruits would be looked at as "the next Tyus?". If Jones goes to Duke, people will say "He's no Hurley".

Unfortunately, he likely doesn't care much about any of that, and he won't be coming here.

yeah i here the next olberding,McHale, Rickert and kris humphries mentioned all the time with recruits

yeah i here the next olberding,McHale, Rickert and kris humphries mentioned all the time with recruits

Which of them were the #1 overall recruit in the country? None of them? Oh, ok. Thanks for the valuable input.

hate to reply to my own reply...
but after watching Paige from Iowa and UNC get destroyed by Butler, UNC is out... like I said earlier, 'ol roy gets nothing out of his talent.

you'll see duke is out after we play them.. plumlee is the 'big' who chases down missed 3's.. everyone else stands and waits to jack a 3... no fun for a PG... PG's love to lead breaks and lob up passes that are jammed.. not dukes style. you'll see.

i'm still going with
MSU
minnie
Kansas

Roy's 2 national championships in 9 years is nothing these days? Also, I'm not sure I'm ready to judge Paige's collegiate career yet after watching the 4th game of the season, but that's just me. I'd say Felton, Lawson, and Marshall turned out pretty well under 'ol Roy's system.

Aren't we overlooking a critical component to the Tyus recruitment? What would we do with Andre Hollins? Play him at the 2? Bring him off the bench?

I HATE to say it, but from a team standpoint, we need Vaughn and Reid more than Tyus. We all drool over Tyus and rightfully so, but if we miss out on him, at least we are missing out on a position where we have a developing team leader.

Can Michigan St, Duke, and Kentucky say that or can they gaurantee a starting position and starters minutes for his 1 season in college?

Aren't we overlooking a critical component to the Tyus recruitment? What would we do with Andre Hollins? Play him at the 2? Bring him off the bench?

I HATE to say it, but from a team standpoint, we need Vaughn and Reid more than Tyus. We all drool over Tyus and rightfully so, but if we miss out on him, at least we are missing out on a position where we have a developing team leader.

Can Michigan St, Duke, and Kentucky say that or can they gaurantee a starting position and starters minutes for his 1 season in college?

Play Andre 10 minutes at PG and 20 minutes at SG. Andre would be great playing off the ball with Tyus.

Play Andre 10 minutes at PG and 20 minutes at SG. Andre would be great playing off the ball with Tyus.

I agree you do whatever you can to get the #1 recruit in the nation. Especially when he is a hometown kid. There will be room for Andre and whoever else at other positions.

I agree you do whatever you can to get the #1 recruit in the nation. Especially when he is a hometown kid. There will be room for Andre and whoever else at other positions.

Exactly. Playing time will not be an issue. Tyus or Vaughn would start day one. I'd like to think Travis would too, but not positive with how Mo and Buggs and EE develop.

Could easily go Dre, Tyus, Vaughn, Bugss, Mo. Coleman would be the odd man out. He could back up the 2 and 3 though so would likely get plenty of minutes still.

The fact Tyus could play in the same back court as Andre is a huge selling point in our recruiting of Tyus. That along with our other seniors that year, Coleman, Mo, EE, and Oto if he ever learns to shoot.

I am not so sure about Andre at the 2. He is pretty undersized to play the 2 for long periods of time. Just my opinion.

I am in no way saying we shouldn't do all we can to land Tyus, I am merely saying if we miss, we are missing at a position of strength. If we land Vaughn and Travis, we are still going to have a team capable of playing in the top of the big 16. If we land all 3, I'll buy myself a 50 year old bottle of scotch and enjoy a run to the final 4.

If you had to pick, would you rather have a backcourt of Andre and Vaughn or Andre and Tyus? If I had to choose, I actually lean towards Andre and Vaughn.

they all could have gone anywhere doubt tyus will put up numbers close to Humpries as frosh. Wake up and face reality

andre will be a strong 2 he bagged about 48 against a loaded Findlay Prep in highschool

Michigan St, Duke and UK will probably all have other guys to compete with for minutes for Tyus. So would OSU for that matter, as Shannon Scott has improved his shooting and is a good PG this year and would be a Senior when Jones is a freshman.

No coach who has scruples would promise a starting spot to any recruit, there is competition everywhere and you have to earn your spot just like anyone else no matter where you are ranked. However, a guy like Jones having more talent than everyone else means there likely wouldn't be any problem with him earning a starting spot anywhere. You would only have Andre for one year along with Tyus, it's not like there's a chance of competing with him for multiple seasons. Ideally the 2014 class is where the Gophers would get a PG replacement for Andre to be able to groom him for a year so he would be ready to start in 2015-16.

+1. Just think to yourself...would Mauer be who he is today if he were drafted by someone other than the Twins? Sure, he'd likely still have the batting titles, the MVP, the endorsements, etc., but people in Minnesota will still be saying his name 100 years from now. If he played for the Yankees, he'd be forgotten within a year or two and people would be saying "He's no Munson". If Jones comes here, future MN HS/Gopher recruits would be looked at as "the next Tyus?". If Jones goes to Duke, people will say "He's no Hurley".

Unfortunately, he likely doesn't care much about any of that, and he won't be coming here.

Tyus would absolutely have more people in MN excited vs people at Duke(if he choose their school).

All I said was, it's hard to call the #1 recruit just another top recruit. Duke fans aren't that jaded are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom