Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke fans support one team and one team only. It's easy to have that many passionate fans when they don't support the football team or any other team.

This is something that they are trying to change. I coached a little brother of a Duke Freshman this summer and the family said that Coach K has been pushing for an improved football team for a while now. Coach K feels that with a bottom feeding football team he starts every year behind in recruiting. One could look at Kentucky and had doubts. But it couldn't hurt.

This is something that they are trying to change. I coached a little brother of a Duke Freshman this summer and the family said that Coach K has been pushing for an improved football team for a while now. Coach K feels that with a bottom feeding football team he starts every year behind in recruiting. One could look at Kentucky and had doubts. But it couldn't hurt.

The schools tha Duke competes against for recruits (UK, KU, UNC, UCONN, Indiana, Syracuse, etc) don't have big time football atmospheres.

Go Gophers!!

It's getting to the point where I have less confidence about Tyus coming here than I did with Seantrel.

It's getting to the point where I have less confidence about Tyus coming here than I did with Seantrel.

I still have more for Tyus. That said, still not a lot.

Id love to have Jones, but a Vaughn and Travis recruiting class would be incredible in itself.

So it's not enough that the football coaches and administration have been pushing for a better football team, Coach K is getting after it now, so it must be in the works. LOL

The positives on Tyus going to the U of MN is that he could prove to all NBA scouts that he can carry a team to victory. At Duke he'll just be one of 12 guys who might claim to make that point. While Duke certainly is vying for National championships in college their track record for developing great NBA players isn't nearly that impressive. Tyus may have a better opportunity to prove his NBA worth at a school like Minnesota rather than a national powerhouse. As a point guard he may want to emulate Pistol Pete and go to a school where he can make a serious difference. In any case, best wishes to the young man.

The positives on Tyus going to the U of MN is that he could prove to all NBA scouts that he can carry a team to victory. At Duke he'll just be one of 12 guys who might claim to make that point. While Duke certainly is vying for National championships in college their track record for developing great NBA players isn't nearly that impressive. Tyus may have a better opportunity to prove his NBA worth at a school like Minnesota rather than a national powerhouse. As a point guard he may want to emulate Pistol Pete and go to a school where he can make a serious difference. In any case, best wishes to the young man.

Interesting way of looking at it, never thought of it that way.

At Minnesota he would be the "face of the franchise" which is something that would be asked of him by a team drafting him in the lottery.

I understand the weather down there is unbearable during the winter months.

I understand the weather down there is unbearable during the winter months.

Well they do freak out when it snows 2 inches. They have way more "go buy everything in the store because we may be snowed in for 2 weeks" moments than we do.

Some quotes from Tyus from an interview with a UNC site on his Duke/UNC visits:

"North Carolina was extremely nice," said Jones. "Their facilities are nice. Their Basketball Hall of Fame there was really unbelievable. Both of the schools are just so nice."

"I had a really pleasant conversation with him," Jones said of Williams. "I have a very good relationship with him. He just told me about their program and how good of a school that is. He was just talking about how talented his team is and how important having a good point guard to him is. And he just said that he liked how I play the game and that they would love to have me.

Having spent so much time bouncing back and forth between Duke and North Carolina, we asked the hoop star which campus he spent more time on and what the main differences were that he observed.

"It was pretty equal," he said in regards to where he spent more of his time.

"Duke is a smaller school while UNC is very big."

Go Gophers!!

and now some quotes from Tyus from an interview with a DUKE site on is Duke/UNC visits:

"Cameron Indoor is definitely small," he said. "I knew it was small but it's definitely a lot smaller than what you would think a college arena is. Their fans are crazy and it's something you hear a lot about, but when you're actually there and you see how intense and how crazy they are, it's definitely on another level than you might have thought."

"We came back on Saturday morning and watched Duke practice before we went over to UNC and checked out their practice and talked with their coaches. We came back to Duke that evening for the UNC/Duke football game, which was just crazy."

"I've got a good relationship with Coach K and he just thinks I fit in really well with their system there," he said. "And he thinks he can help me out with my game because of how I play. He thinks I would work great with their system and he thinks that their system would really fit well for me and how I play my game."

http://duke.rivals.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Apple Valley junior Tyus Jones made unofficial visits to Duke and North Carolina last weekend but still considered a slight front-runner for the point guard prodigy is Michigan State. Spartans coach Tom Izzo has been relentlessly recruiting Jones since the eighth grade.

Also visiting with Jones last weekend was pal Jahlil Okafor, another highly recruited junior from Chicago.

Besides Duke and North Carolina, Jones also has made unofficial visits to Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State and Baylor.

Some people think that regardless of where Jones ends up, he'll spend just a year in college, then opt for the NBA draft. He's certainly smart enough to play in the NBA, but physically for the 6-foot-2, 175-pounder, it's way too early to speculate on how soon the his pro career will start. Two years of college seems likely.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21855423/shooter-now-ii-hazeltine-goes-out-state-new

Go Gophers!!

Tyus is 1 and done. Vaughn is a 2 and done frm what I see! If I had to pick, I'd rather ave the 2nd option. It minimizes the LSD if Tyus goes somewhere else in a sense.

Anyone is smart enough to play in NBA . Folks actually pay to read this clown.

What about Rider... You do not remember him playing in the NBA? Sorry Scher but there is no intelligence test to play in NBA. Not aware of players being cut for being too stupid! To declare that Tyus is smart enough to play in NBA is useless unless he is a borderline moron.

What about Rider... You do not remember him playing in the NBA? Sorry Scher but there is no intelligence test to play in NBA. Not aware of players being cut for being too stupid! To declare that Tyus is smart enough to play in NBA is useless unless he is a borderline moron.

General intelligence is not the same thing as having a high basketball IQ. I think he was referring to the latter. If you can't recognize how a high basketball IQ would help a players chances in the NBA (or hurt them if you have a low one) then that's pretty embarrassing to be completely honest.

General intelligence is not the same thing as having a high basketball IQ. I think he was referring to the latter. If you can't recognize how a high basketball IQ would help a players chances in the NBA (or hurt them if you have a low one) then that's pretty embarrassing to be completely honest.

Agreed. And frankly I don't look at them any differently.

If someone has a high "painting IQ" I don't think of them as being "less intelligent" than someone with a high "finance IQ".

Maybe the Scout means you don't need to be able to do 3+3 to play in the NBA? You certainly need to be intelligent though.

Ummm what? Rider was one of the most athletically gifted basketball players in the last 25 years but couldn't stay in the league. Gerald Green was an even better athlete and he got booted out of the league for years because he couldn't handle the mental aspect. Intelligence certainly matters in basketball and in particular the pro game. Do you think Chris Paul is great because he's just a better athlete than everyone else? The game is mental as well as physical. Just because there isn't an IQ test before hand doesn't mean its played by a bunch of idiots

Get real ! THE SCOUT! is the first to know that Basketball is more than athleticism. Try Size, strength, motor, decision making/insticts ,Shot release, court vision, ect.. It is pretty tough to be too stupid to play basketball.

Get real ! THE SCOUT! is the first to know that Basketball is more than athleticism. Try Size, strength, motor, decision making/insticts ,Shot release, court vision, ect.. It is pretty tough to be too stupid to play basketball.

Define stupid. Are you talking basketball IQ or general intelligence? You don't think Shooter or anyone else is implying that having a good ACT score makes you a good basketball player, do you? Also, did you just refer to yourself in the third person?

JR Rider was smart enough to play in NBA so why would it be worth mentioning that Tyus is smart enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom