Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Scoops: Gophers still 'on the list' for top recruit Tyus Jones

Gophers coach Tubby Smith and director of operations Joe Esposito were at Apple Valley on Sunday to visit with Jones.

"I have a good relationship with them," Jones said. "They've been recruiting me since I've been in eighth grade. I have a good relationship with Coach Smith, Coach (Vince) Taylor, Coach Esposito and Coach (Ron) Jirsa.

"It's a possibility that I will attend the University of Minnesota. They wouldn't be on the list if I wasn't taking them seriously."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._on_the_list_for_top_recruit_Tyus_Jones091212

Go Gophers!!

The Scoops: Gophers still 'on the list' for top recruit Tyus Jones

Gophers coach Tubby Smith and director of operations Joe Esposito were at Apple Valley on Sunday to visit with Jones.

"I have a good relationship with them," Jones said. "They've been recruiting me since I've been in eighth grade. I have a good relationship with Coach Smith, Coach (Vince) Taylor, Coach Esposito and Coach (Ron) Jirsa.

"It's a possibility that I will attend the University of Minnesota. They wouldn't be on the list if I wasn't taking them seriously."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._on_the_list_for_top_recruit_Tyus_Jones091212

Go Gophers!!

With family I think the Gophers are in the running, I don't think we are at the top of his list but I think a good showing this year would put them right in the mix for jones and all three local big 2014 recruits.

Asked if the Gophers' lack of a practice facility is a big deal, Jones said, "I have noticed it, but I don't know if that's something that would make me not go to a school.

"They practice on their home floor. That could be a plus."

Now that's a positive way to look at it lol.

When North Carolina's Roy Williams, Kentucky's John Calipari, Michigan State's Tom Izzo and other college basketball coaches text Apple Valley High School point guard Tyus Jones, it might take him longer than normal to return the message.

Jones underwent surgery two weeks ago to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb. The injury occurred in June, but he taped it up and played throughout the summer. He got his stitches out on Monday and is now in a splint for four more weeks.

Jones, who has had a scholarship offer from the Gophers for a long time, will be on the "U" campus for the football game against Syracuse on Sept. 22.

Asked if the Gophers' lack of a practice facility is a big deal, Jones said, "I have noticed it, but I don't know if that's something that would make me not go to a school.

"They practice on their home floor. That could be a plus."

The Twin Cities' 2014 basketball class will be one of the best of all-time. The Gophers also badly want Robbinsdale Cooper forward Rashad Vaughn.

Jones and have Vaughn have spoken about being a package deal.

"It's bound to come up when you're being recruited from the same state," Jones said. "We're good friends."

Another Gophers recruit, DeLaSalle forward Reid Travis, hasn't had the same talk with Jones. But Jones expects that to happen soon.

------

I thought he didn't have a list? Good to hear either way.

per Shooter:

Andrew Wiggins, the 6-foot-7 small forward from Toronto ranked the No. 1 junior high school basketball player in the United States by ESPN, is accelerating his class and will graduate next spring as a senior.

That probably means that the No. 2 junior, 6-1 Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones, will be the No. 1 player in his class in the country when the next rankings come out.

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_21534412/shooter-now-twins-dug-ourselves-too-big-hole

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Andrew Wiggins, the 6-foot-7 small forward from Toronto ranked the No. 1 junior high school basketball player in the United States

Congratulations Canada! We all knew your annexation was inevitable!

Congratulations Canada! We all knew your annexation was inevitable!

It's really not factually incorrect, specifics were just left out, like all of the top Canadian basketball prospects he is attending high school in the US but is from Canada.

It's really not factually incorrect, specifics were just left out, like all of the top Canadian basketball prospects he is attending high school in the US but is from Canada.

He also wrote that he is a "junior high school basketball player". We all know what he meant, but it was amazing how much misinformation/missing information he was able to accumulate in one short sentence.

I don't get mattw1067 thinks is so funny, Wiggins is Toronto born. But that's his main goal on here is to be a smart ass prick and make fun of people. Good for you matt, whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

NEW YORK - You are 15 years old and you can google yourself and see words like "The Great Canadian Hope" and "Hoops prodigy" next to your name.

I like his nickname on Wikipedia "Maple Jordan".

per Shooter:

Andrew Wiggins, the 6-foot-7 small forward from Toronto ranked the No. 1 junior high school basketball player in the United States by ESPN, is accelerating his class and will graduate next spring as a senior.

That probably means that the No. 2 junior, 6-1 Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones, will be the No. 1 player in his class in the country when the next rankings come out.

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_21534412/shooter-now-twins-dug-ourselves-too-big-hole

Go Gophers!!

There has been rumors that this will happen for sometime, but has it been reported as being official by anyone else? I've seen nothing from anyone else, hard to believe shooter would be the one breaking this story.

I don't get mattw1067 thinks is so funny, Wiggins is Toronto born. But that's his main goal on here is to be a smart ass prick and make fun of people. Good for you matt, whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

NEW YORK - You are 15 years old and you can google yourself and see words like "The Great Canadian Hope" and "Hoops prodigy" next to your name.

I like his nickname on Wikipedia "Maple Jordan".

Lighten up man, it's a joke!

per Shama:

"Prep basketball authority Ken Lien is guessing that Apple Valley junior point guard Tyus Jones will attend Kentucky. He said the prep super star’s final three college choices could be Kentucky, Michigan State and Duke.

Kentucky coach John Calipari visited Apple Valley High School this week and North Carolina coach Roy Williams will be in town next week, according to Lien."

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

"Prep basketball authority Ken Lien is guessing that Apple Valley junior point guard Tyus Jones will attend Kentucky. He said the prep super star’s final three college choices could be Kentucky, Michigan State and Duke.

Kentucky coach John Calipari visited Apple Valley High School this week and North Carolina coach Roy Williams will be in town next week, according to Lien."

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Barf. Better than Wisconsin though I guess.

Still holding out hope it is Minnesota, especially since this is just one man's opinion and it isn't Tyus Jones himself.

Tyus, Vaughn and Travis would be legends if they came all came here. I know a lot goes into their decisions, but the chance to change the course of their home state has to weigh at least a little on their mind.

I would take one at this point...it would look real bad for Tubby and the U if we missed on all of them. We really need a solid performance from this years team to help get\keep their interest going into their signing days....or committing day. C'mon Tyus stay home!!

Q&A: Tyus Jones: "I am always hearing from hometown people."

Tyus Jones: "I am always hearing from hometown people."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/179000?referrer_id=331171

Tyus Jones, a 6-foot-2 junior point guard from Apple Valley, continues to attract attention. Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith and Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins and assistant Mark Madsen recently attended an open gym, even though Jones had a cast on his right hand. GopherHole.com caught up with Jones Sunday to learn the latest.

Gopher Hole: What is the injury?

Tyus Jones: I tore a ligament in my thumb. It happened in the beginning of June. I was thought it was just a bad jam, so I played through it and taped it up all summer and then went in after the Elite 24 game and went down to a doctor. I found out it was a torn ligament, so they had to go in and fix it up.

Gopher Hole: Did you have to have a MRI for that?

Tyus Jones: Yes.

Gopher Hole: How long do you have to wear the cast?

Tyus Jones: I’ll be in a splint for four weeks and then I’ll have to rehab it after that.

Gopher Hole: When are you allowed to start playing?

Tyus Jones: After I get done rehabbing it, so looking at the end of October or beginning of November

Gopher Hole: Is that going to be tough?

Tyus Jones: Yes, definitely tough. If anytime was the time to do, it is now. It is the most downtime that I get all year with the season and AAU. Got to do what you got to do and try to bounce back from it.

Gopher Hole: So, that left hand is going to be looking pretty good this year?

Tyus Jones: Right. Right. Exactly.

Gopher Hole: You want to be playing, but it is nice to get a little bit of a break since you have been playing year-round.

Tyus Jones: Definitely. Definitely. Being a basketball player, you love the game and you always want to play and get out there, but in a way you have to think of it as letting your body rest and recharge. Getting a little time off will help me.

Gopher Hole: You were recently at Baylor. What was that experience like?

Tyus Jones: It was good. I had a good visit. Just a normal, typical unofficial visit.

Gopher Hole: Did they have a football game down there?

Tyus Jones: They did. We actually did not go. It was later on Sunday. We flew back Sunday afternoon. .

Gopher Hole: Baylor has offered you a scholarship and they have some Minnesota ties with assistant Jerome Tang having spent time in Minnesota and Jared Nunness playing high school basketball in Minnesota. Is that one of the reasons that you are looking at them?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. My cousin, Jared Nunness, is down there, so that was the first reason I looked into Baylor and they started to recruit me.

Gopher Hole: It was obviously a nice family reunion since your dad went and got to spend time with Jared as well?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. We had not seen him in a couple of years, so it was definitely good to see him again.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any other plans for any trips or to go to any football games in the next couple of weeks?

Tyus Jones: I am going to visit North Carolina and Duke in mid-October, but other than that I don’t have other visits planned.

Gopher Hole: I have not talked to you since ESPN came out with their Class of 2014 rankings. Were you surprised with the number two ranking? What was the feeling?

Tyus Jones: It is an honor, I guess you could say. You try not to pay too much attention to the rankings and just try to focus on your game. That is what people talk about, so you hear. I think that I had a successful summer. I think that I played well, even with the injury, which set me back a little bit during June, but I tried to bounce back and had a successful Peach Jam, so I can’t complain.

Gopher Hole: It has to make you feel pretty proud, though?

Tyus Jones: Yes. Definitely. You can’t let that get to you. You have to keep working. You have to work even harder now.

Gopher Hole: There were three Minnesotans in that ESPN rankings with you at number two, Rashad Vaughn #12 and Reid Travis at #31. It is pretty amazing for a state the size of Minnesota to have three players ranked that high. Does that make it even more meaningful to have all three of you ranked that high?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. Those guys have been working their tails off to get better and improve and they have. They had great summers as well. It is something that is good and something to be proud of that Minnesota is looked at as a basketball powerhouse compared to some of the others state out there recruiting-wise or talent-wise based on the history. It is definitely good to see them getting some recognition.

Gopher Hole: What was the experience playing in the ESPN Top 24 game in California?

Tyus Jones: It was good. A lot of those guys you have seen or already have relationships with. It was a more laid back environment, so it was nice to just relax and you don’t have to take it so serious because it is more of a fun game.

Gopher Hole: Do you like playing in those games where defense is not emphasized?

Tyus Jones: It was harder. Those games are more for dunkers, I guess you could say. It wasn’t really my style, but I was making a few passes and stuff like that, so it was all fun.

Gopher Hole: Have you even talked to Rashad or Reid about the possibility of playing at the same place?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. I’ve talked to Rashad about it. Out there, you don’t really try to talk about colleges too much. It is more about enjoying yourself and you are out on Venice Beach. It is the end of the summer after a long AAU season and everything like that., but we have talked about it a little bit.

Gopher Hole: How about Reid? Have you talked to him much?

Tyus Jones: I haven’t. I haven’t talked to Reid about it as much. I’m sure it will come up and stuff like that. I have known him for awhile.

Gopher Hole: You and Rashad are going to be playing against each other at the Target Center January 5th. Have you talked to him about that?

Tyus Jones: I haven’t talked to him since I found that out, but I’m sure that we will have fun with it.

Gopher Hole: You are ranked 1 and 2 in the state and you playing for two of the best teams in the state.

Tyus Jones: Right, so we will have fun with it. We are good friends, so it makes it all the better.

Gopher Hole: Are you hearing from any new schools lately or is it status quo with the schools?

Tyus Jones: Pretty much the same. The most recent offers were Kansas and North Carolina

Gopher Hole: You can’t play right now, but Stanford’s head coach and assistant’s and Minnesota head coach came to your open gym. That must make you feel good that they came all this way even though you weren’t able to play?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. Stanford is the newest school that has been recruiting me pretty hard. It definitely feels good to see them coming out here and making the effort to come see me. Coach Smith and Coach (Joe) Esposito as well. I definitely wish I could be out here on the floor. That makes me want to play even more now.

Gopher Hole: A lot of Gopher fans would love to see you playing here. Do you ever hear from those fans?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. I am always hearing from hometown people. People are always tweeting me and stuff like that. You hear it a lot and it is going to be a lot of pressure from the hometown people, definitely, but we’ll have to see what happens.

Tyus Jones: " I am always hearing from hometown people."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/179000?referrer_id=331171

Tyus Jones, a 6-foot-2 junior point guard from Apple Valley, continues to attract attention. Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith and Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins and assistant Mark Madsen recently attended an open gym, even though Jones had a cast on his right hand. GopherHole.com caught up with Jones Sunday to learn the latest.

Gopher Hole: What is the injury?

Tyus Jones: I tore a ligament in my thumb. It happened in the beginning of June. I was thought it was just a bad jam, so I played through it and taped it up all summer and then went in after the Elite 24 game and went down to a doctor. I found out it was a torn ligament, so they had to go in and fix it up.

Gopher Hole: Did you have to have a MRI for that?

Tyus Jones: Yes.

Gopher Hole: How long do you have to wear the cast?

Tyus Jones: I’ll be in a splint for four weeks and then I’ll have to rehab it after that.

Gopher Hole: When are you allowed to start playing?

Tyus Jones: After I get done rehabbing it, so looking at the end of October or beginning of November

Gopher Hole: Is that going to be tough?

Tyus Jones: Yes, definitely tough. If anytime was the time to do, it is now. It is the most downtime that I get all year with the season and AAU. Got to do what you got to do and try to bounce back from it.

Gopher Hole: So, that left hand is going to be looking pretty good this year?

Tyus Jones: Right. Right. Exactly.

Gopher Hole: You want to be playing, but it is nice to get a little bit of a break since you have been playing year-round.

Tyus Jones: Definitely. Definitely. Being a basketball player, you love the game and you always want to play and get out there, but in a way you have to think of it as letting your body rest and recharge. Getting a little time off will help me.

Gopher Hole: You were recently at Baylor. What was that experience like?

Tyus Jones: It was good. I had a good visit. Just a normal, typical unofficial visit.

Gopher Hole: Did they have a football game down there?

Tyus Jones: They did. We actually did not go. It was later on Sunday. We flew back Sunday afternoon. .

Gopher Hole: Baylor has offered you a scholarship and they have some Minnesota ties with assistant Jerome Tang having spent time in Minnesota and Jared Nunness playing high school basketball in Minnesota. Is that one of the reasons that you are looking at them?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. My cousin, Jared Nunness, is down there, so that was the first reason I looked into Baylor and they started to recruit me.

Gopher Hole: It was obviously a nice family reunion since your dad went and got to spend time with Jared as well?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. We had not seen him in a couple of years, so it was definitely good to see him again.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any other plans for any trips or to go to any football games in the next couple of weeks?

Tyus Jones: I am going to visit North Carolina and Duke in mid-October, but other than that I don’t have other visits planned.

Gopher Hole: I have not talked to you since ESPN came out with their Class of 2014 rankings. Were you surprised with the number two ranking? What was the feeling?

Tyus Jones: It is an honor, I guess you could say. You try not to pay too much attention to the rankings and just try to focus on your game. That is what people talk about, so you hear. I think that I had a successful summer. I think that I played well, even with the injury, which set me back a little bit during June, but I tried to bounce back and had a successful Peach Jam, so I can’t complain.

Gopher Hole: It has to make you feel pretty proud, though?

Tyus Jones: Yes. Definitely. You can’t let that get to you. You have to keep working. You have to work even harder now.

Gopher Hole: There were three Minnesotans in that ESPN rankings with you at number two, Rashad Vaughn #12 and Reid Travis at #31. It is pretty amazing for a state the size of Minnesota to have three players ranked that high. Does that make it even more meaningful to have all three of you ranked that high?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. Those guys have been working their tails off to get better and improve and they have. They had great summers as well. It is something that is good and something to be proud of that Minnesota is looked at as a basketball powerhouse compared to some of the others state out there recruiting-wise or talent-wise based on the history. It is definitely good to see them getting some recognition.

Gopher Hole: What was the experience playing in the ESPN Top 24 game in California?

Tyus Jones: It was good. A lot of those guys you have seen or already have relationships with. It was a more laid back environment, so it was nice to just relax and you don’t have to take it so serious because it is more of a fun game.

Gopher Hole: Do you like playing in those games where defense is not emphasized?

Tyus Jones: It was harder. Those games are more for dunkers, I guess you could say. It wasn’t really my style, but I was making a few passes and stuff like that, so it was all fun.

Gopher Hole: Have you even talked to Rashad or Reid about the possibility of playing at the same place?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. I’ve talked to Rashad about it. Out there, you don’t really try to talk about colleges too much. It is more about enjoying yourself and you are out on Venice Beach. It is the end of the summer after a long AAU season and everything like that., but we have talked about it a little bit.

Gopher Hole: How about Reid? Have you talked to him much?

Tyus Jones: I haven’t. I haven’t talked to Reid about it as much. I’m sure it will come up and stuff like that. I have known him for awhile.

Gopher Hole: You and Rashad are going to be playing against each other at the Target Center January 5th. Have you talked to him about that?

Tyus Jones: I haven’t talked to him since I found that out, but I’m sure that we will have fun with it.

Gopher Hole: You are ranked 1 and 2 in the state and you playing for two of the best teams in the state.

Tyus Jones: Right, so we will have fun with it. We are good friends, so it makes it all the better.

Gopher Hole: Are you hearing from any new schools lately or is it status quo with the schools?

Tyus Jones: Pretty much the same. The most recent offers were Kansas and North Carolina

Gopher Hole: You can’t play right now, but Stanford’s head coach and assistant’s and Minnesota head coach came to your open gym. That must make you feel good that they came all this way even though you weren’t able to play?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. Stanford is the newest school that has been recruiting me pretty hard. It definitely feels good to see them coming out here and making the effort to come see me. Coach Smith and Coach (Joe) Esposito as well. I definitely wish I could be out here on the floor. That makes me want to play even more now.

Gopher Hole: A lot of Gopher fans would love to see you playing here. Do you ever hear from those fans?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. I am always hearing from hometown people. People are always tweeting me and stuff like that. You hear it a lot and it is going to be a lot of pressure from the hometown people, definitely, but we’ll have to see what happens.

Tyus, Tyus, Tyus! Become the biggest living legend at the U since ... maybe ever!

Tyus, Tyus, Tyus! Become the biggest living legend at the U since ... maybe ever!

He already is that and he hasn't, and may never, play one minute for the Gophers. In the short time I have followed Gopher recruiting, the amount of excitement around Tyus Jones is absolutley unreal.

He already is that and he hasn't, and may never, play one minute for the Gophers. In the short time I have followed Gopher recruiting, the amount of excitement around Tyus Jones is absolutley unreal.

I'd say the recruiting buzz around him is about the same as it was for Seantrel Henderson. The only reason it may seem a bit larger is that basketball recruits get attention at a much younger age than football recruits. If he actually commits then he is officially a living legend, until then he's on the level of Seantrel.

Tweet from Tyus:

"@Tyusjones06: Gettin ready to head downtown to the U for the gophs prac then the football game tonight.."

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

That was Tyus Jones, Apple Valley's star junior guard, sitting with Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith at Saturday night's Gophers-Syracuse football game.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ers-minnesota-vikings-wr-jerome-simpson-eager

Go Gophers!!

Was he with the team? The team came down by where I was, I know I saw Austin, Joe, Mav, Mo, Trevor, Elliot, and there were 1 or 2 other guys with them that I didn't recognize (might have been Buggs? not sure what he looks like, though I don't think it was tall enough to be him). Did not see Tubby or Tyus at all, but maybe I just didn't notice them.

Anyone know if the student section chanted anything or made any signs.. The atmosphere was outstanding.. if we can start getting more and more games like that.. the football team will start to help the hoops team in terms of recruiting. Hope young Tyus enjoyed himself.

Anyone know if the student section chanted anything or made any signs.. The atmosphere was outstanding.. if we can start getting more and more games like that.. the football team will start to help the hoops team in terms of recruiting. Hope young Tyus enjoyed himself.

The basketball team came down close to where I was in the student section for a little while, and other than Mbakwe starting an "Ell-i-ot!" chant as Elliot Eliason came walking up the aisle (which I joined in on:)), I did not hear any chants for Tyus or anything basketball related, the only sign I saw was a "Who hates Iowa?" sign.

Tyus was sitting up with Tubby most of the game on the opposite side of the student section. Looked awkward. Don't think I saw them say a word to each other the whole game. Each just talked to people on the other side of them. Better hope the guy sitting next to Tyus was doing the recruiting cause Tubby sure wasnt.

So you watched them the entire game?

Haha, I was thinking the same thing, kinda creepy lol. On a serious note, Tyus doesn't come off as a kid who wants to have his ear ripped into by Tubby about coming here while he's at a football game. I think that's a time to just enjoy the game and the great atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom