Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a few comments here about Jones being a one and done.

What are the projections and thoughts about Jones, Vaughn and Travis Reid?

Are they one and done, two and done, or what?

Tyus could be one and done, but wouldn't surprise me if he stays two years. Rashad is probably one or two years as well. Reid is a good 4 year player.

Tyus would have to bulk up a bit if he were to go pro, otherwise he'd get abused trying to get to the hoop.

We may be a long shot, but we are in the race.

Spring article-

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20299747/gophers-have-high-hopes-emergence-andre-hollins-rodney"Andre Hollins has really proven he can be a big-time guard in the Big Ten," Doyle said. "You add in Trevor with that team, they're a legit top five or six team going into next year."

Lack of experience at point guard was part of the reason Smith's team failed to reach the NCAA tournament the past two seasons. But the position shouldn't be an issue next season with Hollins and junior Julian Welch returning. Welch came off the bench to end the season, but he had 21 starts while averaging 9.5 points and three assists.

Hollins started at point guard the final 10 games of the season, averaging 16 points and three assists in that span. He finished with four 20-point games.

His late-season ascent was reminiscent of when Devoe Joseph led the Gophers to the Big Ten tournament final and an NCAA tournament berth two years ago. But Joseph, then a sophomore point guard, wasn't able to build on that performance the following season before transferring to Oregon.

Jones, who has scholarship offers from Duke, Ohio State and Michigan State, is eager to see how Hollins continues to develop in Smith's system.

"He was their go-to guy," Jones said. "He was putting the ball in the basket. It was good for them. It was good to see that. Whether it's Minnesota or any other college, I always watch my position real closely. When that (point guard) has success, it helps me see what my role could be."

Few tidbits from a new Tyus interview/article:

Jones lists offers from Minnesota, Ohio State, Michigan State, Kentucky, Duke, Baylor, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgetown. The Minnesota native says that the Gophers, and coach Tubby Smith, are currently the school recruiting him the hardest, although Kansas - the only interested school yet to offer a scholarship - is starting to pick up the slack as well.

While he might not have a list of top schools yet, Jones and his family have a very specific vision of what they are looking for in a college program.

"First of all, schooling is really important to us," said Jones, "The educational opportunities for me are going to weigh heavily with both me and my family; this isn't just about basketball.

"On the court, I'm looking for a coaching style, basketball philosophy and playing style that fits my strengths. I want to make sure that I have chemistry with both the returning players and the guys that they bring in with me. Fitting in with the other players is going to be really important."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1395174

"First of all, schooling is really important to us," said Jones, "The educational opportunities for me are going to weigh heavily with both me and my family; this isn't just about basketball.

"On the court, I'm looking for a coaching style, basketball philosophy and playing style that fits my strengths.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1395174

Well, we can hold our own as far as the schooling.

Basketball wise, we're hurting. I'm guessing he watched Coach K and James hugging today after the gold medal game. Our NIT run sort of pales in comparison to that level.

Just hope he doesn't make the U the token school on his lists just to try to appease the locals. That's what pisses a lot of us off.

Well, we can hold our own as far as the schooling.

Basketball wise, we're hurting. I'm guessing he watched Coach K and James hugging today after the gold medal game. Our NIT run sort of pales in comparison to that level.

Just hope he doesn't make the U the token school on his lists just to try to appease the locals. That's what pisses a lot of us off.

I'd rather get the token consideration than not be in the running at all.

I'd rather get the token consideration than not be in the running at all.

Really? Even if he has no intention of ever coming here? Okay, but I can see scenarios where that might cost you in recruiting another player.

Really? Even if he has no intention of ever coming here? Okay, but I can see scenarios where that might cost you in recruiting another player.

I'm with you on this one. A token consideration at this time would be fine, but a year from now I would hope he would at least tell Tubby if he has no intention of coming to MN.

Tyus must be a hot potato for Tubby. An early withdrawal from recruiting him would be a political suicide for him even if the possibility of getting Tyus were remote. If Tubby held onto Tyus a little too long and lost him, that would about destroy the program, to exaggerate a little, since he may not have enough time to be able to recruit a competent pg.

We may have to break away from Tyus, though, if we do not get a meaningful indicator, a verbal for instance, from him by the end of his junior year, in order for us to be able to redirect the recruiting effort toward other top 100 or a top 150 pg prospects. Otherwise, we may end up with no viable pg for the 2014 season and, worse yet, possibly thereafter.

Our chance of getting Tyus should improve if we start getting commitments from top 100 prospects, a supporting cast for Tyus, during the next season. However, that may not be a viable scenario unless we really start strong next season and maintain the pace though the middle of the season (6-3 or better for the first 9 conference games or achieve something meaningful like a sweet 16). Even then, our chance of getting Tyus may be no better than 50-50.

One thing for sure is that our doing well next season is necessary, though still “not sufficient”, to get Tyus. That is, if we find ourselves mediocre, like losing to Duke and going about 500 in conference play, through the middle of the season, I think Tubby should promptly quit recruiting Tyus and start recruiting other prospects. That is, unless Tubby is willing to sacrifice whole a lot like restructuring the offense solely to showcase Tyus like the Humphries situation, which is not worthwhile in the long run and border-line irresponsible.

Even if we win the Atlantis thing and @FSU and going well above 500 in conference play, I think Tubby should start looking elsewhere unless Tyus gives a verbal toward the end of his junior year. (To be honest, we are just a good insurance to Tyus unless he gives us a verbal around that time.)

Tyus must be a hot potato for Tubby. An early withdrawal from recruiting him would be a political suicide for him even if the possibility of getting Tyus were remote. If Tubby held onto Tyus a little too long and lost him, that would about destroy the program, to exaggerate a little, since he may not have enough time to be able to recruit a competent pg.

We may have to break away from Tyus, though, if we do not get a meaningful indicator, a verbal for instance, from him by the end of his junior year, in order for us to be able to redirect the recruiting effort toward other top 100 or a top 150 pg prospects. Otherwise, we may end up with no viable pg for the 2014 season and, worse yet, possibly thereafter.

Our chance of getting Tyus should improve if we start getting commitments from top 100 prospects, a supporting cast for Tyus, during the next season. However, that may not be a viable scenario unless we really start strong next season and maintain the pace though the middle of the season (6-3 or better for the first 9 conference games or achieve something meaningful like a sweet 16). Even then, our chance of getting Tyus may be no better than 50-50.

One thing for sure is that our doing well next season is necessary, though still “not sufficient”, to get Tyus. That is, if we find ourselves mediocre, like losing to Duke and going about 500 in conference play, through the middle of the season, I think Tubby should promptly quit recruiting Tyus and start recruiting other prospects. That is, unless Tubby is willing to sacrifice whole a lot like restructuring the offense solely to showcase Tyus like the Humphries situation, which is not worthwhile in the long run and border-line irresponsible.

Even if we win the Atlantis thing and @FSU and going well above 500 in conference play, I think Tubby should start looking elsewhere unless Tyus gives a verbal toward the end of his junior year. (To be honest, we are just a good insurance to Tyus unless he gives us a verbal around that time.)

One great way for Tubby to recruit Tyus is to let Dre do what he did in the NIT. If Dre has a great year the chances of getting Tyus grow. You are totally correct about landing the supporting cast as well. If he can package Vaughn and a big forward in with Tyus - he has a chance.

One great way for Tubby to recruit Tyus is to let Dre do what he did in the NIT. If Dre has a great year the chances of getting Tyus grow. You are totally correct about landing the supporting cast as well. If he can package Vaughn and a big forward in with Tyus - he has a chance.

I think it is a little too early to talk about what Dre can do next season. :) I am not trying to be sarcastic, though.

Lead guards lead the way in 2014 (link)

"Jones is the consummate floor general. He doesn’t have elite size or freakish athleticism, but his total skill set combined makes him an off the charts prospects. His understanding of the game is impressive, and at 6-foot-1 he can make plays in the lane. Using ball screens he is absolutely unstoppable, and then he sees the floor extremely well. Quite simply Jones never turns the ball over and has the ability to make all of his teammates better. Very few point guards in recent memory have been able to control the game the way he does."
http://minnesota.scout.com/2/1211325.html

A recent interview with Jones:

Being recruited by some of the top programs in the country is tough enough for any prospect. Growing up in Minnesota as a fan of the Gophers, Jones admits to having ties to the program, but is doing his best to not let that affect his final decision.

“Definitely it’s tough,” he said. “But that’s something you have to consider and it’s definitely a factor. It has a little bit of pull, but at the same time you have be objective, look at the business, and take everything into account to make the right decision. It definitely has a little bit of persuasion. We’ll just have to see.”

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=1026

Go Gophers!!

A recent interview with Jones:

Being recruited by some of the top programs in the country is tough enough for any prospect. Growing up in Minnesota as a fan of the Gophers, Jones admits to having ties to the program, but is doing his best to not let that affect his final decision.

“Definitely it’s tough,” he said. “But that’s something you have to consider and it’s definitely a factor. It has a little bit of pull, but at the same time you have be objective, look at the business, and take everything into account to make the right decision. It definitely has a little bit of persuasion. We’ll just have to see.”

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=1026

Go Gophers!!

For everyone saying Tyus isn't coming here ... I honestly don't think even he knows at this point. IMO there is no favorite and the Gophers are still very much in play.

If Vaughn and/or Reid committed early I think it would do wonders for our chances with Tyus.

For everyone saying Tyus isn't coming here ... I honestly don't think even he knows at this point. IMO there is no favorite and the Gophers are still very much in play.

Yea maybe. I've thought all along that he's not coming here but is smart enough to show the hometown team a little love/respect throughout the process. It makes no sense to say 'no I'm not considering MN'. Shoot I wouldn't. You get free tickets to all the games, don't have to worry about people dissing you, get treated like the man everywhere, and when you eventually commit elsewhere nobody is mad at you if you appeared to look hard at the local school but just couldn't resist the draw of Duke/KY/KS, etc.

Yea maybe. I've thought all along that he's not coming here but is smart enough to show the hometown team a little love/respect throughout the process. It makes no sense to say 'no I'm not considering MN'. Shoot I wouldn't. You get free tickets to all the games, don't have to worry about people dissing you, get treated like the man everywhere, and when you eventually commit elsewhere nobody is mad at you if you appeared to look hard at the local school but just couldn't resist the draw of Duke/KY/KS, etc.
I would be mad at him! But at the same time it really is his decision and his life so he deserves the right to pick the program he wants obviously.

Tweet from Doogie: "@DarrenWolfson: Just spent time w/ Tyus. Him & Vaughn have talked about being a package. But the Okafor package trumps all. #gophers"

Go Gophers!!

Of course I, like everyone else here, don't know what Tyus is thinking. I just can't help but speculate that this whole "package" situation is a sort of way for him to legitimize his eventual decision to not attend Minnesota. There is really no reason I can think for Okafor to want to be in MN, and by saying he wants to attend the same school as his buddy, it kind of gives him the "Well Jahil wasn't interested in going to MN, so I decided to look elsewhere" out.

Chip Scoggins: Apple Valley's Jones calling the shots with recruiters, too

Jones wants to take his time, let the process play out. He admits "there's definitely pressure to stay at home" but that seems like a supreme long shot for the Gophers considering their competition. He's evaluating many factors in each program, but his goal is to play in the NBA.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/169561526.html

Go Gophers!!

Of course I, like everyone else here, don't know what Tyus is thinking. I just can't help but speculate that this whole "package" situation is a sort of way for him to legitimize his eventual decision to not attend Minnesota. There is really no reason I can think for Okafor to want to be in MN, and by saying he wants to attend the same school as his buddy, it kind of gives him the "Well Jahil wasn't interested in going to MN, so I decided to look elsewhere" out.

If we could get Rashad Vaughn to commit relatively early, I think Okafor would be much more inclined to consider Minnesota. He would be playing for a "big name" coach who has won a national championship. He'd also have two top 20 recruits as teammates, at key positions. Then add in what will likely be a strong senior class (Andre, Joe, Oto, Mo, EE) and I think we become a somewhat attractive destination. Not saying he'd commit, but I think we'd be a lot more attractive. What's better than a top 20 duo? A top 20 trio.

Andre, Joe, Oto, Mo and EE would be a solid starting group in 2 years anyway.

Jones
Vaughn
guy off the street
Travis
Okafor
would be a solid starting lineup as well.

That team as a whole would likely be a top 5-10 preseason team and fully capable of competing for a championship. I don't give it more than a 2% chance of happening though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom