Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson
If I'm Tubby, I'm focusing on Reid Travis in that local class. RT @whatsupname1 @DarrenWolfson From @InsideCarolina: UNC offered Tyus Jones.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

He is gone.

He is gone.

So with the Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Duke offers we still had a chance, but a North Carolina offer now pushes us completely out of contention? That doesn't really make sense to me. Unless North Carolina now decides to make a big push for Tyus, I don't think this offer changes things much. I still think it's mostly between us, Michigan State, and Duke.

So with the Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Duke offers we still had a chance, but a North Carolina offer now pushes us completely out of contention? That doesn't really make sense to me. Unless North Carolina now decides to make a big push for Tyus, I don't think this offer changes things much. I still think it's mostly between us, Michigan State, and Duke.

My thoughts exactly.

We never really did have a chance. He is the hometown hero and is just stringing us along that the Gophers are a possibility. Sad but true.

per Shama:

"Apple Valley junior point guard Tyus Jones now has a scholarship offer fromNorth Carolina. That gives him offers that include national powerhouses Duke, Kentucky and the Tar Heels. In the last 12 months I haven’t talked to any sources who are convinced Jones will play for the Gophers."

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

"Apple Valley junior point guard Tyus Jones now has a scholarship offer fromNorth Carolina. That gives him offers that include national powerhouses Duke, Kentucky and the Tar Heels. In the last 12 months I haven’t talked to any sources who are convinced Jones will play for the Gophers."

Go Gophers!!

The first part is no surprise and the second part is not news.

So what Shama, "Not being convinced "means next to nothing. Sources are often clowns who know a lot less then people think they do. THE SCOUT!

I doubt he's talked to any sources that are convinced he will play for any one team over the other, whether it's the Gophers or someone else. It's too early. Pointless sentence.

Yeah, sometimes Doogie says the most illogical things. I think everyone knew all along all of the big boys were going to be going after Tyus Jones.

Furthermore, what does going after Reid Travis have to do with Tyus Jones? Can we only pursue Travis if we SOLELY focus on him? How about we keep recruiting both of them at he off chance that we land one of them. I'd say it's a 1 out of 15 chance we land Jones, but it's worth a shot.

The U has / had to recruit this kid but there is no chance he he commits to Minnesota. This staff has already done somehting similar with C. Joseph he eneded up elsewhere. They can't throw their eggs in one basket on this guy.

Yeah, sometimes Doogie says the most illogical things. I think everyone knew all along all of the big boys were going to be going after Tyus Jones.

Furthermore, what does going after Reid Travis have to do with Tyus Jones? Can we only pursue Travis if we SOLELY focus on him? How about we keep recruiting both of them at he off chance that we land one of them. I'd say it's a 1 out of 15 chance we land Jones, but it's worth a shot.

Get a center and a combo guard in the 2013 class and put all your effort into signing Travis, Jones, and Vaughn. Without a center in 2013, you almost have to land one in 2014, the same goes for someone that can play PG. In the event you don't sign any of the three you wouldn't be hurting that badly and could go with at least one Juco.

Get a center and a combo guard in the 2013 class and put all your effort into signing Travis, Jones, and Vaughn. Without a center in 2013, you almost have to land one in 2014, the same goes for someone that can play PG. In the event you don't sign any of the three you wouldn't be hurting that badly and could go with at least one Juco.

I doubt they go for a center in this years class. The staff really just isnt targeting many and the ones they are have aren't being recruited heavily by Minnesota. Look for them to sign a combo guard, another wing and at least 1 PF if they choose to sign 3 if they sign 4 add another PF. I am mostly curious to see what combo guard they go for, guessing they are hard after EC Matthews.

The U has / had to recruit this kid but there is no chance he he commits to Minnesota. This staff has already done somehting similar with C. Joseph he eneded up elsewhere. They can't throw their eggs in one basket on this guy.

Excellent logic.

http://http://rivals.yahoo.com/purdue/basketball/recruiting/player-Danuel-House-107686;_ylt=AgfyqadsE4IVemtvAAoM6zqBtZB4

http://http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Bobby-Portis-120606;_ylt=Ana3Uu9RLAO.1TRhKV1Egv3VO5B4

Both these two kids stayed home to play for two below average programs that Minnesota is better than.

Add Ricardo Ledo to that list. Many more examples I'm sure, but he comes to mind right away. #2 shooting guard in his class (#6 overall) and had an offer from Kentucky. No way he would choose Providence, right?
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Ricardo-Ledo-104027

They also got another 5 star in the same class from CT.

Yeah I was going to mention Kris Dunn too, but his local school would have been UConn so it wasn't quite the same, but either way it's a big-time player going to a weaker program than he was capable of going to. Could have easily gone to a better school, but didn't. That never happens though and I can predict the future, so we have no chance at any highly rated players like Tyus and should stop recruiting him (sarcasm).

Q&A: Tyus Jones: "There is a lot upside to staying at home"

Tyus Jones: "There is a lot upside to staying at home"
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/168792?referrer_id=331171

Tyus Jones, a 6-foot-2 rising junior point guard from Apple Valley, continues to make a name for himself nationally. He led all player at the recent Peach Jam in scoring (25.8 points per game), field goals (57), three-point percentage (10 of 15 - 66.7%) and free throw percentage (31 of 35 - 88.6%) and was second in assits 96.5 per game) as he led Howard Pulley to a surprising spot in the quarterfinals. GopherHole.com caught up with Jones this weekend at the Pacesetter Sweet 16 to learn the latest on his recruitment and his summer basketball.

Jones helped lead the United State to the FIBA 17-and-under to the gold medal as the American team finished 8-0 in Lithuania this summer. Jones led the team with 5.4 assists per game to go with his 8.5 scoring average

GH: Your Howard Pulley team played well in the Peach Jam and in Kansas City last month. How pleased were you with the way things ended up?

Tyus Jones: At the Peach Jam, I was very pleased with my team. We battled and played extremely well down there. People definitely did not expect us to get out of the pool and we almost won our first game in the quarterfinals. So I was very proud of the guys and how we played. In Kansas City, the same thing. We lost in the semifinals and still battled and played well down there, so I was very pleased with the way the summer ended. .

GH: Do you think that team overlooked you because you weren’t very big and were guard-dominated?

Tyus Jones: I think so. We lacked height, so I definitely think that they overlooked us.

GH: I know that Kentucky recently offered you. Any other new offers?

Tyus Jones: The latest one has been North Carolina and before that it was Kentucky and Indiana.

GH: Have you thought about maybe going some place before school starts to check out some campuses?

Tyus Jones: Yes, since there is going to be some time in August, I’ll try to take, maybe two visits, but I don’t even know where to yet. I am going to have to sit down with my family and think about it.

GH: Who are you hearing from the most of all those schools?

Tyus Jones: I am hearing from a lot of coaches, very equally. All the schools that have offered me, I think that I heard from equally at this point right now.

GH: What about the hometown team? What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Tyus Jones: I talk to Coach Smith and Coach Vince Taylor probably the most of that coaching staff. I am hearing from them as well.

GH: Do you ever get local people who want you to stay here? Do you ever hear from them?

Tyus Jones: Oh, definitely. All the time. I hear it all the time. Minnesota fans want me to stay here and go the “U” and play for my hometown team, so it will be interesting to see.

GH: Is that something that would appeal to you? Obviously your family and friends would be able to see you a lot more?

Tyus Jones: Definitely. There is a lot upside to staying at home, but we’ll just have to see where it goes.

GH: What was the experience like playing in Lithuania?

Tyus Jones: It was a great experience. It is nice to play for your country. We played well over there and had a good time.

GH: Did you get a chance to do much besides basketball? Did you get a chance to see much of the countryside?

Tyus Jones: We took a little tour and saw a little bit of the country, but not a whole lot. We went and saw the capital and a few other places over there.

GH: You had your family with you. Did that make it even more special having them with you?

Tyus Jones: Most definitely. My family supports me always. No matter where it is. It definitely helps.

GH: You won the gold medal for the second straight summer. Does this one mean more?

Tyus Jones: I think this one meant a little more because it was a world tournament. The first one was an Americas tournament, but this one was a World Tournament. Better competition and stuff like that. . They both mean a lot.

GH: Did a lot of your teammates ask about your recruitment when you were there?

Tyus Jones: We talked about it. We talked about our different recruitments, schools and stuff like that, but we tried not to focus on that. We tried to focus on our goal, which was the gold medal.

GH: Do any of the players say “I would like to play with you?”

Tyus Jones: Definitely. You always want to play with the best, so there is talk like that, but we tried to not focus on that. We just tried to focus on the task at hand.

GH: It sounds like some big schools called you when you were gone, right?

Tyus Jones: When I was gone, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA and North Carolina called.

GH: That has to make you feel pretty good. Those are four of the biggest schools in basketball.

Tyus Jones: Yes. It felt good. They couldn’t call me because I was overseas, so they talked to my mom.

GH: Are you still pretty open in your recruitment?

Tyus Jones: Yes, I am still pretty open. I haven’t started to narrow anything down right now.

GH: How many offers are you up to right now? Do you still keep track?

Tyus Jones: I don’t have an exact numbers right now.

C'mon Tyus stay home! What a epic commit he would be and I bet many more big recruits would start to follow him to the U during his stay. Program changer.

C'mon Tyus stay home! What a epic commit he would be and I bet many more big recruits would start to follow him to the U during his stay. Program changer.

Don't hold your breath. Jones would be a program changer but its been clear he isn't coming here for about a year now. He's too smart and savvy to ever come out and say it though so he'll continue to show the hometown team love. Wouldn't be shocked for him to have them in his public top 3-5 or something either

Don't hold your breath. Jones would be a program changer but its been clear he isn't coming here for about a year now. He's too smart and savvy to ever come out and say it though so he'll continue to show the hometown team love. Wouldn't be shocked for him to have them in his public top 3-5 or something either

How exactly has it been clear for a year now? How can something in one person's head be clear to another person? Just curious.

GophersOnTheRise said:
How exactly has it been clear for a year now? How can something in one person's head be clear to another person? Just curious.
I guess it's just been clear to him - I bet he hears voices.

There have been a few comments here about Jones being a one and done.

What are the projections and thoughts about Jones, Vaughn and Travis Reid?

Are they one and done, two and done, or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom