Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple Valley's Tyus Jones and top prep center Jahlil Okafor say they want to play college ball together

"We're most definitely excited to do it," said Jones, who won a gold medal with Okafor and Team USA on July 8 at the Under-17 World Championship in Lithuania. "We're very serious about doing it and think it's going to happen."

Gophers coach Tubby Smith doesn't seem to be in the mix for Okafor at the moment, though Jones says he's still considering playing for Smith.

"(Smith) came up to my school once; I think that was my freshman year," Okafor, a 6-foot-10 center at Whitney Young High School in Chicago, said Monday, July 16. "But I haven't been in too much contact with Minnesota."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21089567/recruit-two-jones-and-buddy-teaming-up

Go Gophers!!

Doesn't Okafor play for Mac Irving, after all I've read about the that program on the Illinois message boards I doubt Tubby endears himself to the people that run it.

I don't think they neccesarily play together though, if they do end up together I wonder if Michigan State isn't the front runner.

PP; Apple Valley's Tyus Jones and top prep center Jahlil Okafor

"We first talked about playing in college together last year when we went to Cancun, Mexico, to qualify for the world championships," Okafor said. "Tyus is just a great point guard. Even if I didn't have a good relationship with him, I still think he would be effective with me just because he's a floor general

Apple Valley High School player Tyus Jones, center, attends an NCAA college basketball game between Minnesota and Illinois, Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012 in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Paul Battaglia) and knows how to play."
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21089567/recruit-two-jones-and-buddy-teaming-up

At this point, I think all we can hope for is that Tyus is a one-and-done so the pain of watching him play for another school will only be felt for one season.

Chances are slim. Could be a hometown hero and build something great here or take the easy path with a NC-Duke-Kentucky powerhouse.

Yeah....at the same time could you argue with him for wanting to get that first big check as soon as possible?

I hate Kentucky and Calipari as much as the next guy, but this year's draft speaks for itself. I'd like Tyus to surprise me and stay home but if I'm being realistic that's the dagger to our chances :-/

Oh, c'mon PBTT. Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, etc. would've been 1st round picks this year regardless of where they played and who their coach was. The only guy who Calipari actually helped to become a 1st round pick that wouldn't have been one with another coach is Daniel Orton, who was only drafted where he was because he played so little under Calipari. Calipari doesn't magically make guys into great players, he gets superior talent to play hard and then takes credit for it. Do u think Tyus Jones would be any more talented playing for UK than Minnesota? If you say yes, then you've gone off the deep end.

Oh, c'mon PBTT. Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, etc. would've been 1st round picks this year regardless of where they played and who their coach was. The only guy who Calipari actually helped to become a 1st round pick that wouldn't have been one with another coach is Daniel Orton, who was only drafted where he was because he played so little under Calipari. Calipari doesn't magically make guys into great players, he gets superior talent to play hard and then takes credit for it. Do u think Tyus Jones would be any more talented playing for UK than Minnesota? If you say yes, then you've gone off the deep end.
What KY offers. Is a coach that knows how to win big with freshmen and brand new lineups every year. I hate it but at KY a kid can get to the final four AND play in a player friendly system that lets you showcase your talents without being perceived as selfish ie Kris Humphries at MN.

I know UK with Cal has a lot to offer (extra benefits to boot), but I just scoff at the notion that Calipari is seriously responsible for his players being draft picks. These guys would be draft picks anywhere. The one possible exception is Orton, who owes Cal a debt of gratitude for playing him so little that he wasn't exposed enough for the NBA guys to realize he was a zero. The Orlando Magic have to be regretting picking Orton with the last pick of the 1st round.

Chances are slim. Could be a hometown hero and build something great here or take the easy path with a NC-Duke-Kentucky powerhouse.

Ya, how dare a kid want to go play with some of the most storied basketball programs in history!

Tweet from Myron Medcalf:

"Not sure the state of Minnesota knows what it has in @Tyusjones06. More recognized nationally than he is in his home state. That’s crazy."

Go Gophers!!

BleedGopher said:

"Not sure the state of Minnesota knows what it has in @Tyusjones06. More recognized nationally than he is in his home state. That’s crazy."

Go Gophers!!

Huh? We've been hearing about Tyus since he was 13. Myron is a moron.

Follow up tweet by Myron:

"I live Minnesota. I followed him around the country last summer. I get it. And I know that he’s bigger nationally than here"

Go Gophers!!

BleedGopher said:
Follow up tweet by Myron:

"I live Minnesota. I followed him around the country last summer. I get it. And I know that he’s bigger nationally than here"

Go Gophers!!

Yup, still a moron.

Why does he have to be the one representing Minnesota for ESPN? It's a sad day when a Badger does a better job of that (Katz)

Myron Medcalf

Does he even know what he just said? How do we not appreciate Tyus? Every game he played in high school the gym was packed with people..

BleedGopher said:

Go Gophers!!

What is he talking about?????

He follows him around to basketball tournaments/events so he's always around basketball people. Of course basketball fans recognize him. He's probably talking about the fact that huge basketball fans from other parts of the country recognize him while random people at the super market here usually don't. Not the same thing. Apples and oranges Myron. Go to a basketball tournament/game in Minnesota and EVERYONE will know who he is.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe if we had better press and beat writers he would have more attention around here.

Rebuttal from Ryan James.

@RyanJamesMN: @MedcalfByESPN I respectfully disagree. The young man has sold out more gyms than anybody since Sam Jacobson. Kids follow him constantly.

@RyanJamesMN: @MedcalfByESPN Adults regularly debate if he's the greatest of all time in MN (some say Khalid). Gopher fans follow all moves.

@RyanJamesMN: @MedcalfByESPN Biggest thing to me, high school kids here respect him and immulate his every move. People here know he's a star.

And some "thoughts" from Rashad Vaughn too lol

@ShowtimeMr: Tyus be putting on for MN.... S/o but he he still ugly though

If Tyus goes elsewhere hope he stays out of the Big Ten. Would really suck to watch him playing against the U!

Jones not coming to Minnesota

Is this something the Gophers' coaching staff should starting recognizing? I would hate for Minnesota to miss out on potential recruits because it is holding out for Jones. Let's be real; Minnesota is Minnesota. Duke is Duke. Michigan State is Michigan State. The Gophers simply cannot compete with the big boys...yet.

Also, I feel like if Jones doesn't have a passion for the Gophers, let him go. Let him explore his options and settle into his future role as a fringe NBA player.

Mods, please move this to the "All Things Tyus Jones Thread".

Mods, please move this to the "All Things Tyus Jones Thread".

Oh come on, BigGopherFan is obviously important enough to warrant having his own Tyus thread.

But really, I can't believe he hasn't realized that Tyus is the only 2013 player we've scouted and offered. Tubby & Co. are obviously putting all of their eggs into the Tyus basket.

I heard that him and his 4* buddy are a packaged deal, making the whole situation that much more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom