Transfer Portal

Will be interesting if either of the McCaffrey's line up for Colorado against the Gophers.

He couldn't complete long passes and Neb gave up on him being a QB, he wants to stay at QB thus he's gone.
Regardless of how well he played the position he was their backup --- they have now lost their presumed primary backup in Gebbia, Vedral and McCaffrey in the last three years.

Regardless of how well he played the position he was their backup --- they have now lost their presumed primary backup in Gebbia, Vedral and McCaffrey in the last three years.
They didn't lose a backup, he wasn't going to be a QB anymore at Nebraska, they asked him to change positons.

They didn't lose a backup, he wasn't going to be a QB anymore at Nebraska, they asked him to change positons.
Seems like an odd hair to split --- they lost their primary backup from this year regardless if he was going to continue in that role. The fact that they didn't have anyone better than someone they wanted to change positions is telling in and of itself.

Seems like an odd hair to split --- they lost their primary backup from this year regardless if he was going to continue in that role. The fact that they didn't have anyone better than someone they wanted to change positions is telling in and of itself.
True...he still wasn't going to be their backup though.

I think that is a pretty big difference from losing someone at a position you wanted them to play.

My guess is he'd have been the QB if Martinez got hurt. But a healthy Martinez is the better QB so Nebraska wanted to get him on the field to utilize his athletic ability at another position. He wanted to be a QB so he quit if he couldn't be the starter. That's how I see it. I highly doubt Nebraska ran him off.

He couldn't complete long passes and Neb gave up on him being a QB, he wants to stay at QB thus he's gone.
Read this week that Frost wants to tweak the offense to push the ball down field more. Needs some better arms to do this, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

The biggest names in the transfer portal from around the Big Ten

Minnesota: DT Noah Hickcox
Even despite the down year for the Golden Gophers, they have luckily not seen all too many transfers. Their biggest name on the way out is likely defensive tackle Noah Hickcox, who played in 26 games at Minnesota and had just seven total tackles in his career. They are also losing some potentially important depth pieces in guys like defensive end D’Vion Harris and safety Benny Sapp, but if anything they have benefited from the portal with the additions of former Clemson defensive lineman Nyles Pinckney and former Texas A&M wideout Dylan Wright.

Go Gophers!!

Read this week that Frost wants to tweak the offense to push the ball down field more. Needs some better arms to do this, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.
Yeah it will be interesting.

Don't have a QB.... plan to involve plays that would require ... an even better QB than you've had so far...

I guess, but ...

Nebraska's 2021 QB was NDSU's first choice. He is the first kid Nebraska has taken from the state in 16 years.

Former Benilde product Eric Wilson is now transferring Harvard for PSU instead of Auburn.

The biggest names in the transfer portal from around the Big Ten

Minnesota: DT Noah Hickcox
Even despite the down year for the Golden Gophers, they have luckily not seen all too many transfers. Their biggest name on the way out is likely defensive tackle Noah Hickcox, who played in 26 games at Minnesota and had just seven total tackles in his career. They are also losing some potentially important depth pieces in guys like defensive end D’Vion Harris and safety Benny Sapp, but if anything they have benefited from the portal with the additions of former Clemson defensive lineman Nyles Pinckney and former Texas A&M wideout Dylan Wright.

Go Gophers!!

Interesting look at at what teams are losing via the portal. We are one of the few teams where the writer highlights that what we have coming in is significantly better than what is going out. Thought it would be interesting to see how other teams compare in terms of the number of transfers going in and out compared to the U. Not sure how much value this has since it doesn't really factor in the quality of the players moving but for what it is worth this is how it shakes out as of today (note outgoing total contains guys who might not have a destination yet and could elect to return).

MN - 5 in - 5 out
ILL - 5 in - 9 out
IND - 3 in - 3 out
IA - 1 in - 7 out
MD - 2 in - 12 out
MI - 1 in - 11 out
MSU - 5 in - 13 out
NEB - 4 in - 11 out
NU - 3 in - 6 out
OSU - 0 in - 1 out
PSU - 5 in - 8 out
PUR - 4 in - 3 out
RUT - 4 in - 12 out
WIS - 0 in - 3 out

Notable:
Ohio State and Wisconsin are the only schools with no incoming transfers at this point. Both schools also have a very small number of guys going out as well.

Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, Nebraska, and Rutgers all have over 10 guys looking to leave. Many of those loses might not be significant but that is still a big number

Purdue is the only team with more transfers coming in than going out.

5 is the highest number of guys coming in for any team (I didn't count any recruits who put their name in and returned to their same school, ie Dunlap for us). Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan State, and Penn State all have 5 guys coming in as of today.

So many players in the portal and not enough scholarships to go around. There will be disappoint for some of these young men.

So many players in the portal and not enough scholarships to go around. There will be disappoint for some of these young men.

yeah, I would expect to see most teams outgoing number go down as guys who went looking are unable to find a new home. Especially after 2020 when there are a number of guys who would be graduating returning to their teams for another season.

Yeah it will be interesting.

Don't have a QB.... plan to involve plays that would require ... an even better QB than you've had so far...

I guess, but ...
I visit a Nebraska fan board from time to time for schadenfreude. Some of the eternally optimistic Nebby posters are convinced that Frost has a great transfer QB coming in through the portal, a huge get with a rifle arm, who will take over immediately and turn the team’s fetid offense around in short order. That is why MacCaffrey is leaving, they say. Frost did bring in a high potential 230 lb. RB from USC through the portal. We’ll see on the QB front.

I am certainly not defending Frost. However, this is not the new norm in college sports. A kid can go into the portal for any reason what-so-ever and get immediate eligibility. Early on in Fleck's Gopher career he was asked about bringing JC kids and he said he would not rule it out, but his focus is on long-range development of incoming freshman. Well, I am sure that is still the case but look how active he has been in bringing in a kid even with only one year of eligibility. We are going to get hurt somewhere along the line by this, but it also appears that we are going to benefit from it too. Especially with 2 young head coaches in the primary sports that are open for change and can react quickly to it.

I am certainly not defending Frost. However, this is not the new norm in college sports. A kid can go into the portal for any reason what-so-ever and get immediate eligibility. Early on in Fleck's Gopher career he was asked about bringing JC kids and he said he would not rule it out, but his focus is on long-range development of incoming freshman. Well, I am sure that is still the case but look how active he has been in bringing in a kid even with only one year of eligibility. We are going to get hurt somewhere along the line by this, but it also appears that we are going to benefit from it too. Especially with 2 young head coaches in the primary sports that are open for change and can react quickly to it.

Prior to this year Fleck has brought in very few transfers with only 1 year of eligibility (I don't know if he has brought in any). The Clemson DT and the LB have a chance to really help us right away at positions where we have a lot of potential but the players there are still pretty young. And the other DT will provide some additional depth up front. The other two guys have multiple years left so bringing them in is much like bringing in a high school recruit.

The negative way of viewing this change is to assume we are desparate for players at those positions and bringing in one year guys because we don't have other options.

My take is that Fleck sees a very strong roster for 2021 and is bringing in 1 year guys to provide some major experience at a few key spots on D to really bolster the roster and help the young guys. The Clemson DT could be a beast for us. If he was good enough to start for them with the level of talent they bring in each year it would seem like a slam dunk that he will be able to come in and help us right away.

The fact that Fleck is bringing in 1 year guys for 2021 makes me think they are going all in on having a big season next year.

Prior to this year Fleck has brought in very few transfers with only 1 year of eligibility (I don't know if he has brought in any). The Clemson DT and the LB have a chance to really help us right away at positions where we have a lot of potential but the players there are still pretty young. And the other DT will provide some additional depth up front. The other two guys have multiple years left so bringing them in is much like bringing in a high school recruit.

The negative way of viewing this change is to assume we are desparate for players at those positions and bringing in one year guys because we don't have other options.

My take is that Fleck sees a very strong roster for 2021 and is bringing in 1 year guys to provide some major experience at a few key spots on D to really bolster the roster and help the young guys. The Clemson DT could be a beast for us. If he was good enough to start for them with the level of talent they bring in each year it would seem like a slam dunk that he will be able to come in and help us right away.

The fact that Fleck is bringing in 1 year guys for 2021 makes me think they are going all in on having a big season next year.
Could also be this was an anomaly kinda year where the quality of transfers available to MN just happens to be pretty high.

The "transfer market" can vary wildly.

I don’t see why it would hurt anything.

Ohio State to Miami to the transfer portal.

Team captain of the Punchable Faces.

Ohio State to Miami to the transfer portal.

Team captain of the Punchable Faces.

Martell is also a stark reminder that the recruiting rankings are not perfect. He was viewed as a stud out of high school with the ability to basically name is school of choice. Now he is working on team #3 potentially and still hasn't seen the field for any significant time. Apparently he switched to WR at Miami but then wanted to switch back to QB again. 247 shows UNLV as his likely landing spot.

Martell is also a stark reminder that the recruiting rankings are not perfect. He was viewed as a stud out of high school with the ability to basically name is school of choice. Now he is working on team #3 potentially and still hasn't seen the field for any significant time. Apparently he switched to WR at Miami but then wanted to switch back to QB again. 247 shows UNLV as his likely landing spot.
He's gone from a top-ranked, can't miss prospect to Rylee's brother.

"Defense wins championships." PJ Fleck wants to win. He sees an opportunity to make a few tweaks to accomplish that.

If the Gophers win a title, imagine what the Avante Dickersons of this world will do.

It may be enough to nudge a few next level talent to take a
serious look at the program.

This one surprises me.

Top Bottom