Transfer Portal

This one surprises me.

He has some Ice Man hair

Val-Kilmer-Top-Gun-2-Iceman.png

He started, and they had their worst season by far under Harbaugh.

Not surprised if he was run out, like Don Brown. Khakis had to scapegoat someone.
He did get benched to end the season as well so may have something more to do with that and being told they're going with McNamara (who didn't look great either) plus they cut their previous QB coach.

He did get benched to end the season as well so may have something more to do with that and being told they're going with McNamara (who didn't look great either) plus they cut their previous QB coach.
Lot of scapegoats!

Everyone should be skeptical of guys in the portal. There's a reason they're moving on.

Not sure if anyone noticed it, but looks like D'Vion Harris (former DE from St Louis Lutheran) has ended up at Old Dominion. Very solid FCS program.

A move a level down and not any closer to home definitely seems to confirm he was concerned with his playing time opportunities in the future. If you want to be optimistic, that could mean that some of the guys in the 2020 and 2021 classes are looking promising at DE.

Not sure if anyone noticed it, but looks like D'Vion Harris (former DE from St Louis Lutheran) has ended up at Old Dominion. Very solid FCS program.

A move a level down and not any closer to home definitely seems to confirm he was concerned with his playing time opportunities in the future. If you want to be optimistic, that could mean that some of the guys in the 2020 and 2021 classes are looking promising at DE.

Yeah, all of the guys who have left (in my recollection) went to lesser programs except Ken Handy-Holly went to Auburn (I believe?). They all seem to still follow Gopher football and be fans. I noticed some of those guys commenting on Twitter threads last year.

That's really important to me. Those guys who were recruited and just don't appear to have a chance at getting on the field seem to still be fans of Fleck and the U, which means Fleck likely was just honest with them about the situation. That's all you can ask. So much of recruiting is about connections and it appears that Fleck doesn't burn bridges which is good for the program and frankly, the right thing to do.

Old Dominion has been a FBS program for almost ten years now. They are in conference USA.

Yeah, all of the guys who have left (in my recollection) went to lesser programs except Ken Handy-Holly went to Auburn (I believe?). They all seem to still follow Gopher football and be fans. I noticed some of those guys commenting on Twitter threads last year.

That's really important to me. Those guys who were recruited and just don't appear to have a chance at getting on the field seem to still be fans of Fleck and the U, which means Fleck likely was just honest with them about the situation. That's all you can ask. So much of recruiting is about connections and it appears that Fleck doesn't burn bridges which is good for the program and frankly, the right thing to do.

We've been screaming for a competitive Gopher roster for years. The depth is not there yet on certain positions, but man what a change under Fleck. It appears the he is up front with his players on their one on ones, but supportive. When you are out-recruited and you want playing time, you move on to a different program..

It's certainly not win at all cost.

I can't wait to watch the Gophers open practices. You can feel the rhythm and energy of a competitive and united team.

Ah, my bad. I think I had them mixed up with another Virginia FCS school (James Madison).
Virginia has a bunch of programs at the FCS level. Old Dominion restarted football and was at that same level/conf with them (CAA) for some years, but always wanted to go FBS as the goal for restarting.

I wonder why Saad was listed as a true sophomore on the 247 scholarship grid instead of a redshirt freshmen. Was that just a mistake? I don’t remember him seeing much if any action as a freshman.

I wonder why Saad was listed as a true sophomore on the 247 scholarship grid instead of a redshirt freshmen. Was that just a mistake? I don’t remember him seeing much if any action as a freshman.

It was a mistake. I don't think he played at all.

I believe he walked on at Auburn as well --- so it still follows the pattern of being a lesser situation.

It's certainly not win at all cost.

I can't wait to watch the Gophers open practices. You can feel the rhythm and energy of a competitive and united team.
I doubt if they'll have open practices this spring. Maybe fall.

Dew Treadway, Pinckney, Schadd, Carter, Cheney, Martin.

I don’t ever remember when we were this deep at DT.

DT Ali Saad has entered the Transfer Portal. It looks like he wants to play sooner than later. The two DT additions via the Transfer Portal doesn't help his cause.

Minnesota DT Ali Saad enters the NCAA Transfer Portal

My take is that this transfer has less to do with the one-year DT transfers than it does with the two 4-star DT recruits we signed for 2021 (Eastern and Schuster). It's kind of like the DE situation with Harris transferring. These 2019 recruits on the DL can clearly see the quality of the recruits at their positions improving in 2020 and 2021 and the writing is on the wall for some.

Dew Treadway, Pinckney, Schadd, Carter, Cheney, Martin.

I don’t ever remember when we were this deep at DT.
This is how you build defense. Front helps make back end jobs all easier. Our coaching staff is recruiting well on both sides of the ball. Need special teams to step up in 2021.

My take is that this transfer has less to do with the one-year DT transfers than it does with the two 4-star DT recruits we signed for 2021 (Eastern and Schuster). It's kind of like the DE situation with Harris transferring. These 2019 recruits on the DL can clearly see the quality of the recruits at their positions improving in 2020 and 2021 and the writing is on the wall for some.

Assuming that their motivations are playing time related, I agree that this is probably far less about 2021 and far more about their future prospects with the team. At least that is what we all hope is the case because it would mean the new guys are looking pretty impressive and moving up the depth chart quickly.

Assuming that their motivations are playing time related, I agree that this is probably far less about 2021 and far more about their future prospects with the team. At least that is what we all hope is the case because it would mean the new guys are looking pretty impressive and moving up the depth chart quickly.
I think it’s just lack of patience if it is about playing time. Seeing that more and more these days. If he’s really that insecure and lacks that much confidence in his own skill then it’s probably a good thing he is leaving, but I personally think it’s more likely a lack of patience. One more year and he’d have had a great chance to be in the rotation, or move to SDE possibly. I don’t like losing these types of players as it’s much more beneficial to the team if they can stick it out and develop. Some players would be much better suited sticking with it even if it takes until their junior or senior year.

I think it’s just lack of patience if it is about playing time. Seeing that more and more these days. If he’s really that insecure and lacks that much confidence in his own skill then it’s probably a good thing he is leaving, but I personally think it’s more likely a lack of patience. One more year and he’d have had a great chance to be in the rotation, or move to SDE possibly. I don’t like losing these types of players as it’s much more beneficial to the team if they can stick it out and develop. Some players would be much better suited sticking with it even if it takes until their junior or senior year.

I think that PJ is probably pretty solid at having these "what's your status/outlook" conversations with guys after the season and during the winter/spring and he is very straight with them. There are some guys who love the team/program/school so much that they'd wait 3-4 years to be a contributor. But there are definitely others who probably feel like they have a pretty good idea of where they stand after 2 years and, for them, being a contributor is more important than staying at the U.

Hard to really fault a kid for thinking either way. But with the way PJ recruits and takes transfers, we have to have guys like Harris and Saad that decide to move on so that we have open spots to continue to make the team better and firm up depth.

As someone said above, the fact that the kids who transfer generally seem to still follow the Gophers and stay in touch with their old teammates and haven't seemed to be salty after leaving, tells us that PJ is handling these situations as someone who cares for the kids and wants to be honest with them.

Top Bottom