Transfer Portal

I think that PJ is probably pretty solid at having these "what's your status/outlook" conversations with guys after the season and during the winter/spring and he is very straight with them. There are some guys who love the team/program/school so much that they'd wait 3-4 years to be a contributor. But there are definitely others who probably feel like they have a pretty good idea of where they stand after 2 years and, for them, being a contributor is more important than staying at the U.

Hard to really fault a kid for thinking either way. But with the way PJ recruits and takes transfers, we have to have guys like Harris and Saad that decide to move on so that we have open spots to continue to make the team better and firm up depth.

As someone said above, the fact that the kids who transfer generally seem to still follow the Gophers and stay in touch with their old teammates and haven't seemed to be salty after leaving, tells us that PJ is handling these situations as someone who cares for the kids and wants to be honest with them.
I don’t think taking in transfers to firm up depth is the ideal approach, having kids develop seems superior to me, but it is what it is, kids want to play. Now if like a third string junior wants to bounce, those are the type of transfers that can help.

I don’t think taking in transfers to firm up depth is the ideal approach, having kids develop seems superior to me, but it is what it is, kids want to play. Now if like a third string junior wants to bounce, those are the type of transfers that can help.

Depends. Relying on one year guys to bolster your roster every year is a dangerous proposition. But the majority of transfers that Fleck has brought in are multi-year guys. Getting guys that have had a little time to mature makes a lot of sense as there may be less risk involved with bringing them in than there is with the typical recruit out of high school.

Fleck has done very well with transfers to this point and the group coming in for 2021 looks really promising as well.

I read lots of different teams sports forums. There's always the same underlying justification when kids leave a program..."there are too many quality kids ahead of them or there are highly rated high schoolers coming in". And the majority of fans where those kids transfer to think they're "difference makers" if they're coming and not going.

Gopherhole is no different.

I read lots of different teams sports forums. There's always the same underlying justification when kids leave a program..."there are too many quality kids ahead of them or there are highly rated high schoolers coming in". And the majority of fans where those kids transfer to think they're "difference makers" if they're coming and not going.

Gopherhole is no different.

Yep, most message boards are basically the same.

That said - Fleck has had some really good success with non special teams related transfers to this point in his tenure. Williamson, St. Juste, and MDT have all played big roles on defense.

Yep, most message boards are basically the same.

That said - Fleck has had some really good success with non special teams related transfers to this point in his tenure. Williamson, St. Juste, and MDT have all played big roles on defense.
Good point. If the Gophs can ever get over the hump by winning the West and beating Iowa and Wisky, look out!

The success of this program, long term, is keeping a HC for 10+ years. Look at how Wisky and Iowa became relevant. If Fleck can win consistently... the Gophs will start to keep the best in State guys at home. When that happens, it snowballs into more fan support and better media coverage. In the big picture, Minnesota football has had way too much coaching turnover.

Last edited:

Good point. If the Gophs can ever get over the hump by winning the West and beating Iowa and Wisky, look out!

The success of this program, long term, is keeping a HC for 10+ years. Look at how Wisky and Iowa became relevant. If Fleck can win consistently... the Gophs will start to keep the best in State guys at home. When that happens, it snowballs into more fan support and better media coverage. In the big picture, Minnesota football has had way too much coaching turnover.

Coaching stability is a huge part of what it takes to get over the hump but that is only one major factor. Under Mason we had stability but his recruiting ability was sub par and he didn't have the backing of the administration to be truly successful.

Kill had better administrative support than Mason but was derailed by health issues. And even if Kill's health hadn't failed him, his recruiting seemed to have a cap as to where the program was going to get. Good, never great.

Fleck has the administration fully behind him in a way none of the previous coaches have enjoyed. He has shown an ability to recruit at a higher level as well. If he does what he says he is going to do and sets up roots here long term we could finally have the formula that will get us to where Iowa and Wisconsin have been for so long and hopefully maybe even beyond that eventually.

Kill had better administrative support than Mason but was derailed by health issues. And even if Kill's health hadn't failed him, his recruiting seemed to have a cap as to where the program was going to get. Good, never great.

Yeah it felt like there was a plateau and ... some of it was self imposed (coaching...).

Yeah it felt like there was a plateau and ... some of it was self imposed (coaching...).
The offensive scheme was really tough on QBs
Not user friendly.

I find quarterbacks playing well often correlated with success. So running a scheme that isn’t QB friendly caps your production on offense unless you get the dream QB.

Coaching stability is a huge part of what it takes to get over the hump but that is only one major factor. Under Mason we had stability but his recruiting ability was sub par and he didn't have the backing of the administration to be truly successful.

Fleck has the administration fully behind him in a way none of the previous coaches have enjoyed. He has shown an ability to recruit at a higher level as well. If he does what he says he is going to do and sets up roots here long term we could finally have the formula that will get us to where Iowa and Wisconsin have been for so long and hopefully maybe even beyond that eventually.
As I've stated previously... 2021 is a "make or break" year for Fleck. Is Minnesota football the 2019 version or the 2020 version? If the Gophs are a 5-7 to 7-5 team, all the momentum is gone. If the Gophs end up any lower than 3rd in the West, the progression will have stalled out.

It's interesting you use Mason as an example. I'd argue Minnesota hasn't gotten back to Mason level continued success.

As I've stated previously... 2021 is a "make or break" year for Fleck. Is Minnesota football the 2019 version or the 2020 version? If the Gophs are a 5-7 to 7-5 team, all the momentum is gone. If the Gophs end up any lower than 3rd in the West, the progression will have stalled out.

It's interesting you use Mason as an example. I'd argue Minnesota hasn't gotten back to Mason level continued success.

Its not make or break. That said, If the oline is back and healthy then 9-3 is a good bet.

PJ is the best coach Minnesota has ever had. If one disagrees then you may be a cheesehead.

Its not make or break. That said, If the oline is back and healthy then 9-3 is a good bet.
That seems about right and I would definitely take it!
Although we aren't a good enough team to put a lock on any game I think we should feel good about our odds against Miami OH, Bowling Green, Purdue, Nebraska, Maryland, and Illinois. And if we can go .500 against Ohio St., Colorado, Northwestern, Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin then we get to that 9-3 record.

That seems about right and I would definitely take it!
Although we aren't a good enough team to put a lock on any game I think we should feel good about our odds against Miami OH, Bowling Green, Purdue, Nebraska, Maryland, and Illinois. And if we can go .500 against Ohio St., Colorado, Northwestern, Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin then we get to that 9-3 record.
I hope you're right, but after the debacle against Maryland last year, I'd say that's a tossup game.

There is a short story on 247 saying he was denied admission into UCLA which is what led to him going back in the portal. Guess they must think that whatever issues kept him from getting in there won't be a problem if he comes here.

https://247sports.com/Article/UCLA-...Kaleb-Ford-Dement-Go-Separate-Ways-161441206/

A defensive back transfer who committed to UCLA in early February is no longer committed, according to sources.

Kaleb Ford-Dement, a cornerback from Old Dominion, submitted his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal January 29th, and then announced on his Twitter page February 5th he had committed to UCLA.

On Wednesday, sources close to the recruitment indicated that Ford-Dement was denied UCLA admission.

There is a short story on 247 saying he was denied admission into UCLA which is what led to him going back in the portal. Guess they must think that whatever issues kept him from getting in there won't be a problem if he comes here.
"Denied admission" :rolleyes:

It's a huge public school. They can get anyone in they want.

That's just an official way of making things not work out, when the coach and/or player didn't want them to.

"Denied admission" :rolleyes:

It's a huge public school. They can get anyone in they want.

That's just an official way of making things not work out, when the coach and/or player didn't want them to.
Transfer standards are different from admission standards. The deference shown to athletic departments for initial admissions might not exist for transfers.

Transfer standards are different from admission standards. The deference shown to athletic departments for initial admissions might not exist for transfers.
I really doubt it. A campus that has 50k total students, it literally isn't going to matter if they let in one (more) student that is even several standard deviations below the mean on GPA and test scores.

I really doubt it. A campus that has 50k total students, it literally isn't going to matter if they let in one (more) student that is even several standard deviations below the mean on GPA and test scores.
From the UCLA website

It's not enough to simply learn—you will progress, discover, impact and influence. We're looking for game changers, movers and shakers.

Our average GPA for accepted transfer applicants is 3.70; additionally, strong academic preparation and completion of preparatory coursework toward your major is essential. This all adds up to the fact that you'll be studying alongside the best and brightest. If you're accepted, it's where you're meant to be.

A minimum of 3.2 GPA and none of the required courses can be waived.

From the UCLA website

It's not enough to simply learn—you will progress, discover, impact and influence. We're looking for game changers, movers and shakers.

Our average GPA for accepted transfer applicants is 3.70; additionally, strong academic preparation and completion of preparatory coursework toward your major is essential. This all adds up to the fact that you'll be studying alongside the best and brightest. If you're accepted, it's where you're meant to be.

A minimum of 3.2 GPA and none of the required courses can be waived.
That's just a boilerplate statement. There are always waivers possible.

You're telling me if Michael Jordan wanted to transfer in, they'd deny him for having a GPA of 3.19? Zero chance.

Top Bottom