Transfer Portal - Potential Targets

S Benjamin Perry out of Louisville enters the portal with 3 years of eligibility remaining. Gophers were hard on him out of high school, ended up with Darius Green in that class at S instead, would be another the Gophers could go after.

S Benjamin Perry out of Louisville enters the portal with 3 years of eligibility remaining. Gophers were hard on him out of high school, ended up with Darius Green in that class at S instead, would be another the Gophers could go after.

Looks like he played the 'Michael Dixon' role at Louisville as a RS freshman this season. 4* recruit out of HS, would be a nice get.

North Minneapolis' own DE Davon Townley into the portal out of Penn State, was a redshirt freshman and appeared in 5 games for 2 tackles. We recruited him hard out of high school, can definitely see him being a take from Fleck.

Source
If I could only take one, I'd roll the dice on the kid from Dawson. MN. Looks like another JJ Watt in the making.

Last edited:

I'm assuming he's going to the NFL, but adding Hunter Luepke from NDSU as a power back to offset the young guns would be awesome.
What is Luepke's status? He's not playing in the playoffs but I can't find any news about him online.

I remember him having very impressive high school film. I was bummed when he picked Louisville.

With the number of players in the portal this year and most years, what’s stopping us from loading up on transfer players instead of HS players? Could be mostly transfers each year or maybe all transfers.

With the number of players in the portal this year and most years, what’s stopping us from loading up on transfer players instead of HS players? Could be mostly transfers each year or maybe all transfers.
A big percentage of players in the portal are guys who didn't cut it at their first choice. Many (40%+) won't get picked up by anybody. Others are at best a "lateral hire" who add no true upside for a team with the Gophers' existing roster strength. And there is always great potential coming out of HSs each year. I suspect that the portal players PJ wants (and most B1G teams want) are a small group of the thousands available: either shorter-term, instant impact guys or longer-term, very high-upside guys. There aren't nearly as many of those in the portal as you would think. Second, bringing in too many transfers, especially ones who aren't clear upgrades, might be viewed by HS recruits (R/Frosh and Sophs) who are waiting their turn while developing, as a slight, causing them to leave--undoing a lot of good recruiting. I believe that good teams have balance, depth and continuity considerations at the core of their operations, both for the season being played and for the next few seasons coming up. I'll bet PJ is doing all he can to balance HS recruiting with Transfer Portal recruiting, with an eye to both the coming season and long-term depth and success. See Mel Tucker situation for the possible downside of relying too heavily on transfers.

Last edited:

Just watched Jaelen Smith (Houston) highlights on Hudl who's scheduled to visit. He's 6'2", fast, shifty, strong armed, and is playing all over the offense. Any chance of looking at him as a QB?

Just watched Jaelen Smith (Houston) highlights on Hudl who's scheduled to visit. He's 6'2", fast, shifty, strong armed, and is playing all over the offense. Any chance of looking at him as a QB?
Maybe a WR and wildcat back

So you'll only play lineman who are locks for the NFL? Pretty harsh standards. Most college teams would only be able to trot out one or two of those guys per year.

As for Filiaga and Carroll, I agree that neither was great, but both were serviceable on what turned out to be a pretty decent unit. Carroll was bad at times early, but I thought he improved as the year went on. Perhaps you disagree. Filiaga was a guy who previously played a lot of snaps for a Michigan team that plays at a very high level. He wouldn't have started this year, but saying he wouldn't have played for most D1 programs is wrong, IMO.
Filiaga was third team All-B10

Ben Perry is heading to Minnesota as I post. Will be here tomorrow.
Perry just posted he's heading back to Lousiville. I wanted him to be a gopher so bad.

recipe for a horrible team culture if the majority of players r portal guys

Top Bottom