Transfer Portal - Potential Targets

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
(1) Running Back:
The running game is still the most important part of our offense. I think this is our most glaring need. Potts hasn't been the same since his injury and Williams is probably not an every down back. We need a dynamic player at this position and I am not sure that player exists on our roster. I also put this as our #1 need because it's the position where we might be able to bring in a highly rated recruit.

(2) OL
We need more OL. It'll be interested to see what we have in Guedet, Lewis, and some of the young guys, but we are losing three starters again.

(3) WR
I think we only really need to recruit this position group if we think there is a real difference maker. The truth is that we have a lot of decent WRs. If the guy is recruited to compete for the #3 -#5 spot, I'd almost just assume role with who we have. If we can get a starter - I'm all for it. WR is lower on my list because I don't think we will necessarily be the most attractive landing spot for most WR.

(4) S
I was thinking either S or CB, but with Stapp, Bishop, and Walley returning at CB, I think S is our bigger concern. Dixon is a stud, I think he will be play in the NFL but it's a mystery who will play opposite him. Green has gotten some run and the staff seems to really like Bryson.

I think we could be a popular destination for safeties. Nubin will be drafted, Winfield is in the NFL, and we just have good safety play. We also play more than 2 safeties quite a bit - so the PT should be there.

(1) Running Back:
The running game is still the most important part of our offense. I think this is our most glaring need. Potts hasn't been the same since his injury and Williams is probably not an every down back. We need a dynamic player at this position and I am not sure that player exists on our roster. I also put this as our #1 need because it's the position where we might be able to bring in a highly rated recruit.

(2) OL
We need more OL. It'll be interested to see what we have in Guedet, Lewis, and some of the young guys, but we are losing three starters again.

(3) WR
I think we only really need to recruit this position group if we think there is a real difference maker. The truth is that we have a lot of decent WRs. If the guy is recruited to compete for the #3 -#5 spot, I'd almost just assume role with who we have. If we can get a starter - I'm all for it. WR is lower on my list because I don't think we will necessarily be the most attractive landing spot for most WR.

(4) S
I was thinking either S or CB, but with Stapp, Bishop, and Walley returning at CB, I think S is our bigger concern. Dixon is a stud, I think he will be play in the NFL but it's a mystery who will play opposite him. Green has gotten some run and the staff seems to really like Bryson.

I think we could be a popular destination for safeties. Nubin will be drafted, Winfield is in the NFL, and we just have good safety play. We also play more than 2 safeties quite a bit - so the PT should be there.
Agree except for the RB position. But I'm assuming the freshmen and redshirt freshmen can step in. Wouldn't mind one for depth though.

Wish list

WR - for a starter/game changer - if not stay the course
DE - for a starter/game changer - same as above
OL - get some depth
RB - get a change of pace speedster
CB/S - depth - but feel good standing pat

(1) Running Back:

(2) OL

(3) WR

(4) S

We have had a pretty strong history of freshmen or redshirt freshmen RBs coming in and doing well. Mo was over 1k as a redshirt. Rodney and Brooks were both near or over 700 without being the featured back.

While I think it's fair to say Potts may not be more than a #2 or #3 back, he is not nothing. Evans is highly regarded and was getting rave reviews before his injury. Taylor has a Michigan offer and put up an unbelievable senior year. Marquese Williams played at one of the best programs in PA and has STELLAR offers.

While I could see us maybe taking one transfer RB if Bryce leaves, I certainly wouldn't call RB a big position of concern. We are just so used to seeing Mo carrying the load. But I think our system proved in 2021 that other backs can step in and be successful quite quickly.

Two of our best recruits in the 2022 class are RBs and I believe that's because they A. See what is possible in this offense. B. Believe they have a strong shot at early playing time with Mo leaving.

There have been some rumblings Jaden Walley (Justin's older brother) isn't super happy at Miss St. I think he has a ton of upside at the WR spot.

I will say with CrAB back and Dylan showing signs of life with AK I feel a little better about that group.

I actually think what we need most is a consistent pass rush expert. Feels like Mertz and Petras had too much time the last few weeks.

There have been some rumblings Jaden Walley (Justin's older brother) isn't super happy at Miss St. I think he has a ton of upside at the WR spot.

I will say with CrAB back and Dylan showing signs of life with AK I feel a little better about that group.

I actually think what we need most is a consistent pass rush expert. Feels like Mertz and Petras had too much time the last few weeks.

Let's not forget about Daniel Jackson and Lemeke! Jackson was likely our best WR this year

Here’s a DE I’d inquire about.

Last edited:

His numbers dropped significantly this year.

My wish list:
1. For the second year in a row O-line looks like a top need with three starters departing.
2. I’m taking a top rb if one is available. Sorry but I’m not ready to say we are fine with two true freshmen and a rs frosh we’ve barely seen. I don’t think Potts and Williams are above average big10 rbs and that is really what I’d hope for in our offense.
3. Kicker
4. I’d take a Dylan Wright type at wr. Someone who was rated high but didn’t get much action, and still have 3 plus years left. If we can’t recruit top wrs or get proven ones to transfer then this is the best route to build that room.

Last edited:

What does LB look like? It seems to me that they really need an LB who can cover TEs and RBs.

Interesting.

Any idea on what the story is with him, and why his his numbers were so low this year as compared to the two years prior, as it does look like he played in every game this season? At any rate, a second team Freshman All-American who owns the MSU freshman record with four 100 yard receiving games? Certainly seems worth kicking the tires on if he really isn't happy at Miss State.

C'mon Justin, do some 'cruitin'!

Maybe Bucky Irving can portal back to us, has that ever happened? Lol.

Honestly if CrAB and BSF both come back we are not going to attract a pass catcher in the portal better than those guys. We have three decommits in 2023, two of them are WR's. We really need to show that we are pass friendlyish if true difference makers are going to consider us.

Top Bottom