Transfer Portal - Potential Targets

Would’ve been nice to land Durfee but long term Menz is the more important piece
Agree. He's now bumped up in ratings to 0.8714, putting him fairly high in our 2023 HS class. Big frame to add weight. Already has shown real talent.

This year in games where he had 10+ carries he averaged 5.6 per carry and in game with fewer than 10 he averaged 3.2 per carry. Now most of his 10+ carry games were in the games we won and took Mo out, but the other teams knew we were going to run at those points of the game and he did well.

Before getting hurt last year, he averaged 4.9 per carry and had 3 120+ yard games.

He's fully capable and may we just assume he can't do it because we are comparing everyone to Mo.
not bashing him. I've seen enough over the past few years that I don' believe he's a starter. If he does start, I think he get passed up a few games in. just how I feel.

not bashing him. I've seen enough over the past few years that I don' believe he's a starter. If he does start, I think he get passed up a few games in. just how I feel.

Unless a switch gets flipped, he's a decent backup in this program but not a bell-cow RB on a team that wants a good running game. He either doesn't have vision for the hole or just prefers to go east/west and risk a TFL. I don't see it.

Would’ve been nice to land Durfee but long term Menz is the more important piece
I’m no expert on DE but it looks like he is beating lower competition with just his speed but didn’t really show that he has other moves to work against better offensive linemen. Not that he doesn’t or can’t develop some but it will be interesting to see what he does against P5 linemen or someone that throws a hand in his chest.

I’m no expert on DE but it looks like he is beating lower competition with just his speed but didn’t really show that he has other moves to work against better offensive linemen. Not that he doesn’t or can’t develop some but it will be interesting to see what he does against P5 linemen or someone that throws a hand in his chest.
LOL yeah, some of those linemen were not impressive. I'm not an expert either but there were some things as I skimmed the video. High motor. Got doubled quite a few times and was able to disengage. Stayed with his assignment on some read options...didn't collapse down the line.

Wow, the wr room is massively improved. 2 proven portal players, plus hopefully healthy CrAB and Jackson for the year. Brockington and Wright with more experience. MBS is a solid experienced piece, despite rough moments last year. Young Hoskins and White with potential. Lot to like, and not just for next year.

A 3 star recruit coming out of high school, 6' 1" Elijah Spencer was the 2021 Conference USA Freshman of the Year for Charlotte. His high school team won four straight titles and undefeated in 50 games.

1671393455216.png

A 3 star recruit coming out of high school, 6' 1" Elijah Spencer was the 2021 Conference USA Freshman of the Year for Charlotte. His high school team won four straight titles and undefeated in 50 games.

View attachment 22552

How many years left?

Do we have anyone else visiting or planning a visit? A speedy linebacker to stick with a TE pretty please?

How many years left?

All the college football media thought that the transfer portal was going to be chaotic when it opened back on December 5th, and it's been all of that and more. But PJ Fleck and the Minnesota Gopher Football team were just able to snag a commitment from one of the best playmakers in the Conference USA the last two years, as Charlotte wide receiver transfer Elijah Spencer just announced he has committed to Minnesota. The South Carolina native had 28 catches for 381 yards and six scores in as a true freshman in '21, and this past fall, he had 57 receptions for 943 yards and nine scores in his second-year. He was also named the Conference USA freshman of the year in 2021.

He was also Charlotte's second highest graded player on offense via PFF with an 78.6 grade. He led Charlotte is yards after the catch, only had four drops on 90 targets, and actually lead the team as well with 13 (!!) contested catches. For reference, Minnesota's leading pass-catcher for contested catches had SIX in '22. From the way I understand it, he'd have three years to play two, and he's being looked at as an outside receiver, where he played 75% of his snaps last fall. For those wondering, he's listed at 6-1.

My wish list:
1. For the second year in a row O-line looks like a top need with three starters departing.
2. I’m taking a top rb if one is available. Sorry but I’m not ready to say we are fine with two true freshmen and a rs frosh we’ve barely seen. I don’t think Potts and Williams are above average big10 rbs and that is really what I’d hope for in our offense.
3. Kicker
4. I’d take a Dylan Wright type at wr. Someone who was rated high but didn’t get much action, and still have 3 plus years left. If we can’t recruit top wrs or get proven ones to transfer then this is the best route to build that room.
Looks like the WR room has been addressed. Interesting that it does not appear to be much emphasis on landing any oline through the portal. Hopefully a good sign for the returning players there. Same thing with kicker. I still think a legit proven rb would be a good idea, but again does not appear to be part of the plan. I also think another LB would be nice and maybe a safety. But unless there are more major surprises the roster looks like it was well managed and the staff seems pretty comfortable with it. Obviously add upgrades anywhere you can, but seems like the staff is pretty happy with what they have.

Top Bottom