Transfer Portal - Potential Targets

You might be right. My take though is basically that Potts and Williams are not. To me these guys are worth 3-5 touches a game at most. I'd like to see them use Potts a little in the screen game or some other pass catching out of the backfield.
Potts is the interesting one. He looked really good before he got hurt in 2021. He definitely did not look the same in the action he saw in 2022. Whether that is still lingering affects from the injury or something else is hard to say. If he can recapture the form he showed in 2021 before he got injured he could be a starting caliber back in the Big Ten.

Potts is the interesting one. He looked really good before he got hurt in 2021. He definitely did not look the same in the action he saw in 2022. Whether that is still lingering affects from the injury or something else is hard to say. If he can recapture the form he showed in 2021 before he got injured he could be a starting caliber back in the Big Ten.
An unbelievable offensive line is my guess. To be honest, think of how many plays Mo made on his own this year that would have been TFL or 1-2 yard gains that he turned into 5-6. Mo was able to, there are not many other ones that can.

PS If/When Mattison leaves next season I would love the Vikes to select Mo with a late round pick I think he would do well spelling Dalvin. Very similar back to Mattison IMO.

I'll have a heart attack next year if RB isn't upgraded. I love a strong running game, but I hate it, hate it, when RBs go east/west when they should be going north/south. Potts is an east/west guy. Maybe that style works somewhere but it drives me nuts. That style also does not work in the Gophs zone blocking scheme which requires a little patience, vision, then attacking the available hole hard. This was Mo's strength. Williams did it sometimes.

We don't have a starting RB on the roster. If we did, you would have saw them play some this year. Mo and nothing is what the RB room looks like. Getting a stud in the portal will be the difference between a 6-6 season next year and 8-4.
It WAS strong until 2 starting caliber guys left last year in the portal.
We have 2 very highly rated freshman coming in, plus Evans who was also highly rated. Evans didn't play much this year because he was injured early in the year and by the point he could play they just decided to not use up a year of eligibility.

Sure, if some star RB is available in the portal, take him. But I doubt there's one available that would come here. We don't need another Potts or Williams as a transfer though. I just don't think RB is nearly as high a priority as WR, OL, and DL.

I'll have a heart attack next year if RB isn't upgraded. I love a strong running game, but I hate it, hate it, when RBs go east/west when they should be going north/south. Potts is an east/west guy. Maybe that style works somewhere but it drives me nuts. That style also does not work in the Gophs zone blocking scheme which requires a little patience, vision, then attacking the available hole hard. This was Mo's strength. Williams did it sometimes.
There was a carry by Potts in the Wisconsin game where he went East/West as opposed to North/South and Fleck was visibly upset on the sideline. Could have been something else but my guess is he was mad at decision to try and bounce it outside.

I feel like I saw PJ going nuts on the sideline on one of Potts' runs where he decided to bounce outside instead of taking the guaranteed 2 or 3 yards straight ahead.

Edit - ha just saw MNVCGUY said the same thing as me.

This is why I think using Potts in the screen game or catching passes out of the backfield would be more a strength for him.

There was a carry by Potts in the Wisconsin game where he went East/West as opposed to North/South and Fleck was visibly upset on the sideline. Could have been something else but my guess is he was mad at decision to try and bounce it outside.
Potts at his best is actually more of a power running back (IMO). For whatever reason, at times, he plays like a scat back.

Potts at his best is actually more of a power running back (IMO). For whatever reason, at times, he plays like a scat back.
Seems like a guy that is always hoping to hit the home run when he should just be settling for singles and doubles.

Not a target but Alex Padilla has entered the portal after almost leading Iowa back on Saturday.

Sees the writing on the wall with McNamara coming in?
Considering how inactive Iowa is in terms of brining in transfers that would be a fairly impressive get for them. According to 247 they brought in 3 transfers in 2020, 1 in 2021 and 1 in 2022.

I don't disagree with anything you said, I just thought there was a pretty drastic drop off from Mo to Potts. I like Potts and Williams, but I think they either of them would probably be the worst starting RBs in the Big 10.

I agree. I saw nothing from Williams and Potts to think we can even come close to this years production with them as a featured backs. I think people take for granted how good Mo is. We aren't an offense where guys rip off 70 yard runs through massive perimeter holes. We are more like an NFL offense where you grind out 4,5,6 yards a run with half of those coming after contact. And Mo was superb at that.

It was the 2 freshmen. They were studs. Did you watch them? Lots of speed, some power and a whole bunch of make you miss.

Lot's of speed? Did you watch them? The freshman were good, but it wasn't all them. Thomas couldn't get playing time for an average Kansas team this season, and he was our leading rusher in '21. Potts went for over 120 in all three games he started and finished. Williams went for over 120 in the one game he started and finished.

We were a great running team in '21 with Potts, Williams, and two unknown freshman. Now we 'have no RBs' with Potts, Williams, and 3 unknown freshman heading into '23....

Yeah there was no way he was going to outrun him there. Should have turned it up to get a few extra yards instead of falling sideways.

We have 2 very highly rated freshman coming in, plus Evans who was also highly rated. Evans didn't play much this year because he was injured early in the year and by the point he could play they just decided to not use up a year of eligibility.

Sure, if some star RB is available in the portal, take him. But I doubt there's one available that would come here. We don't need another Potts or Williams as a transfer though. I just don't think RB is nearly as high a priority as WR, OL, and DL.
Why not? Seems like one of the best places a star rb could go.

Why not? Seems like one of the best places a star rb could go.
I realize it should be a place a star rb would want to go due to how often we run, but I think the "star" types are going to be looking at helmet schools and/or schools that pay much higher wages than we do.

I didn't mean weather as far as playing in it. I meant simply living there. I went to college in Moorhead. That wind in the winter is brutal.

The apathy thing is real to some extent. Also, The Fargodome hasn't had any major renovations since it was built in 1992 either. The city owns it and doesn't seem to want to spend any money. As has been mentioned though, the Dakota schools are too geographically isolated from any FBS conference so moving up is tough.
They've been banking on a major "re org" of the NCAA and major college football (ie, a mythical break away group) for years as the justification to not push for a move up. They think G5 is coming down to them (FCS).

That is not happening, at least not any decade soon.

They have to decide if they want to do a Liberty style move up as an independent, or not.

ND also has half the state politicians (or more) aligned against their interests, with six four-year universities in the state (absolutely absurd) which of course includes UND.

Last edited:

They've been banking on a major "re org" of the NCAA and major college football (ie, a mythical break away group) for years as the justification to not push for a move up. They think G5 is coming down to them (FCS).

That is not happening, at least not any decade soon.

They have to decide if they want to do a Liberty style move up as an independent, or not.

ND also has half the state politicians (or more) aligned against their interests, with six four-year universities in the state (absolutely absurd) which of course includes UND.
Plus 2-3 private four year colleges, and at least four public community colleges. And yes, it's absurd.
If I recall, the locations of, at least the public four year schools, are written into the state constitution, so it wouldn't be easy to eliminate any of them.

I think South Dakota has just as many.

Anyone else think it might be wise to look at a LB in the portal? Losing MSM and Oliver scares me a little bit. Lindenberg is back but I don't think Willis/Williams/LeCaptain have shown a ton so far.

He used to have some crazy moves. He would do this thing where he looked like he was about to fall over, and then when the defender was about to go low for the tackle he would invoke Neo from the Matrix and just somehow defy gravity and then spin the other way on top of it.

Haven't seen that for a while.

Anyone else think it might be wise to look at a LB in the portal? Losing MSM and Oliver scares me a little bit. Lindenberg is back but I don't think Willis/Williams/LeCaptain have shown a ton so far.
Is Oliver leaving for the League? He is eligible in 23.

Top Bottom