Transfer Portal - Potential Targets

Well, that answers that question then.

He was at safety and he had no path to playing time.

Anyone else think it might be wise to look at a LB in the portal? Losing MSM and Oliver scares me a little bit. Lindenberg is back but I don't think Willis/Williams/LeCaptain have shown a ton so far.
I'm pretty sure Oliver will be back.

I think Willis is our best cover LB, so I'm thinking it will be Lindenberg and Oliver (then Willis comes in on passing downs).

I think with LB, if the perfect player is available, they'll go after him.

I'll have a heart attack next year if RB isn't upgraded. I love a strong running game, but I hate it, hate it, when RBs go east/west when they should be going north/south. Potts is an east/west guy. Maybe that style works somewhere but it drives me nuts. That style also does not work in the Gophs zone blocking scheme which requires a little patience, vision, then attacking the available hole hard. This was Mo's strength. Williams did it sometimes.
Somewhat agree while wondering if he just needed/ needs a little time post injury. Sometimes he hit the hole decisively, but sometimes it was like he was just a little contact shy. Just very thankful that he fully recovered from his injury. The rest is gravy! Hope this upcoming season is a big one for him!

I'll have a heart attack next year if RB isn't upgraded. I love a strong running game, but I hate it, hate it, when RBs go east/west when they should be going north/south. Potts is an east/west guy. Maybe that style works somewhere but it drives me nuts. That style also does not work in the Gophs zone blocking scheme which requires a little patience, vision, then attacking the available hole hard. This was Mo's strength. Williams did it sometimes.
You will have a heart attack with most running backs if we don't have a really good offensive line. That is where the first focus must be.

Potts runs sideways because there is no open hole. Mo can see where the crease is starting to open and hit the hole. Other backs go sideways.

Potts, like Thomas and Irving, was good in 2021 because we had one of the elite run blocking lines in the country. Mo would have rushed for 2,500 yards in '21 if not injured.

Coaches either need to believe we have young guys who can fill the three spots that will be opening or they need to go hard in the portal for offensive linemen.

The running game is more about the line than the back.

I think Willis is our best cover LB, so I'm thinking it will be Lindenberg and Oliver (then Willis comes in on passing downs).

Devon Williams could start to be a factor at LB next year as well.

Good catch, was thinking Oliver was done after this year but you are correct. Won't be nearly as much of a need but could use a depth piece maybe.

Good catch, was thinking Oliver was done after this year but you are correct. Won't be nearly as much of a need but could use a depth piece maybe.
I’m thinking we need to add a linebacker via the portal given the lack of experienced depth. Seems like Oliver has a hard time staying healthy. Even Lindenberg has had injuries. I think we could miss the consistency of Sori Marin.

Not suggesting them as targets, but I noticed that Terry Lockett and Chase Cater, both of Minnehaha Academy and Michigan State, are in the portal. Chase Carter was only there one year.
Lockett probably not but maybe Carter? He's only a freshman. But we didn't offer him out of HS too.

Top Bottom