Transfer Portal - Potential Targets

With the number of players in the portal this year and most years, what’s stopping us from loading up on transfer players instead of HS players? Could be mostly transfers each year or maybe all transfers.
Nothing is stopping anyone. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if a team tries going this route. I think especially for G5 coaches this could be a good move, or schools without much local talent. KSU relied way more heavily on juco players compared to other teams, back during the Snyder era. They had good success with it.

Crooms looks like MBS, probably less speedy but nice hands-catcher

With the way our DBs have been playing lately I trust the coaches with any player they pursue... And my god that dude knows how to lay someone out. Reminds me of the way Oliver would go after someone.

(1) Running Back:
The running game is still the most important part of our offense. I think this is our most glaring need. Potts hasn't been the same since his injury and Williams is probably not an every down back. We need a dynamic player at this position and I am not sure that player exists on our roster. I also put this as our #1 need because it's the position where we might be able to bring in a highly rated recruit.

(2) OL
We need more OL. It'll be interested to see what we have in Guedet, Lewis, and some of the young guys, but we are losing three starters again.

(3) WR
I think we only really need to recruit this position group if we think there is a real difference maker. The truth is that we have a lot of decent WRs. If the guy is recruited to compete for the #3 -#5 spot, I'd almost just assume role with who we have. If we can get a starter - I'm all for it. WR is lower on my list because I don't think we will necessarily be the most attractive landing spot for most WR.

(4) S
I was thinking either S or CB, but with Stapp, Bishop, and Walley returning at CB, I think S is our bigger concern. Dixon is a stud, I think he will be play in the NFL but it's a mystery who will play opposite him. Green has gotten some run and the staff seems to really like Bryson.

I think we could be a popular destination for safeties. Nubin will be drafted, Winfield is in the NFL, and we just have good safety play. We also play more than 2 safeties quite a bit - so the PT
The RB position is in good hands between Potts and Zach Evans. Baring injury this time next year we will all be talking what a stud Evans is.

The RB position is in good hands between Potts and Zach Evans. Baring injury this time next year we will all be talking what a stud Evans is.
I think this is where people disagree. Some folks are in the camp that Potts is a decent Big 10 RB and others are not. I'm in the camp that if Potts is getting more than 25% of our carries next season - we're in trouble. I hope I'm wrong.

I think this is where people disagree. Some folks are in the camp that Potts is a decent Big 10 RB and others are not. I'm in the camp that if Potts is getting more than 25% of our carries next season - we're in trouble. I hope I'm wrong.
I think our RB's are better the more carries they get, but I agree that I will be surprised if Potts leads the team in carries.

Hoping he proves me wrong, but I just haven’t seen anything to suggest Potts is an above average RB in this conference. Can win games with him, but how many will be won largely because of him?

It depends on how the line comes together. The Michigan HS kid could walk right in a get half the carries. Didn’t check but I hope he is an early enrollee. Whoever tries to replace Mo will be a different kind of back.

I’m in the same camp as you. In my opinion, Potts has too much trouble making people miss. He wasn’t particularly skilled at outrunning, juking, or running through people this year. He has OK vision though.

I think our RB's are better the more carries they get, but I agree that I will be surprised if Potts leads the team in carries.
I'm not a fan of Potts getting more than 5 carries per game. hoping someone else steps up

I’m in the same camp as you. In my opinion, Potts has too much trouble making people miss. He wasn’t particularly skilled at outrunning, juking, or running through people this year. He has OK vision though.
While I agree with both of you, he did show a little bit against Iowa and more against WI. It must have been a huge shock to the young man injured like he was. His confidence hopefully comes back this year and he fulfills his talents.

Last edited:

We also have two highly regarded true freshman RBs coming to the program. Taylor is the higher rated of the two but Williams' offer sheet is equally impressive.

That will make him more hated in his hometown (Columbus, NE) than if he transferred to the Gophers.
I'm all for portal transfers. I think it gives a nice opportunity for lower school guys to give it a shot at major programs and/or guys who are just in the wrong situation and need a "change of scenery" a chance to do that.

I am not a fan of kids going from one Big Ten program to another (let alone rivals!) and playing right away. Not a fan, at all.

I think the Big Ten should make a new rule that any transfer within the conference, in any sport, should have to sit out the following season. Waiver process for extraordinary circumstances.

We also have two highly regarded true freshman RBs coming to the program. Taylor is the higher rated of the two but Williams' offer sheet is equally impressive.
And we also have Zach Evans, RFrosh. Plus Potts and Bryce. If our OL plays well, this is a fine set of RBs, mixing experience and potential.

Speaking of which, I see the NDSU OL transfer is ranked the highest. Where as the Rhode Island guy, that we were in on for a second (before he became target for Nebraska, Oregon, etc.) is ranked 5th.

This looks like it's their PFF rankings 6 games into the season. I also don't believe these people are transfers. I think Mauch graduated and is going to the NFL.

This looks like it's their PFF rankings 6 games into the season. I also don't believe these people are transfers. I think Mauch graduated and is going to the NFL.
Apologies, I completely misread it. It was from an Athletic article on the Rhode Island transfer. I will delete the post. Thanks for catching this!

I'm not a fan of Potts getting more than 5 carries per game. hoping someone else steps up
This year in games where he had 10+ carries he averaged 5.6 per carry and in game with fewer than 10 he averaged 3.2 per carry. Now most of his 10+ carry games were in the games we won and took Mo out, but the other teams knew we were going to run at those points of the game and he did well.

Before getting hurt last year, he averaged 4.9 per carry and had 3 120+ yard games.

He's fully capable and may we just assume he can't do it because we are comparing everyone to Mo.

This year in games where he had 10+ carries he averaged 5.6 per carry and in game with fewer than 10 he averaged 3.2 per carry. Now most of his 10+ carry games were in the games we won and took Mo out, but the other teams knew we were going to run at those points of the game and he did well.

Before getting hurt last year, he averaged 4.9 per carry and had 3 120+ yard games.

He's fully capable and may we just assume he can't do it because we are comparing everyone to Mo.
I don't think the assumption has anything to do with Mo. He was really bad against Purdue, Penn State, and Iowa. The assumption we are making is that he won't improve from last year. If he goes back to the 2021 Potts - I agree with you. If he is the 2022 version of himself, I just think he really struggled.

Against Purdue, he played so bad that he was essentially benched for Bryce Williams (who was way more effective than him). He was woefully ineffective against Penn State.

I do think he could get a lot of yards against a team we are dominating. Then again, I think Derek LeCaptain could get a lot of yards against teams we are dominating.

I don't think the assumption has anything to do with Mo. He was really bad against Purdue, Penn State, and Iowa. The assumption we are making is that he won't improve from last year. If he goes back to the 2021 Potts - I agree with you. If he is the 2022 version of himself, I just think he really struggled.
That's the big mystery as we don't really know what his injury was and how it would affect his running ability. He looked better as the season went on, so hopefully (maybe?) he will be back close to his 2021 form next year.

Against Purdue, he played so bad that he was essentially benched for Bryce Williams (who was way more effective than him). He was woefully ineffective against Penn State.

I do think he could get a lot of yards against a team we are dominating. Then again, I think Derek LeCaptain could get a lot of yards against teams we are dominating.

The 10+ carry argument doesn't jive to me because look at who those games are against (with Mo stats for comparison)

17 for 89 against NMSU (75th rush D)
10 for 79 against WIU (not ranked as FCS)
13 for 51 against Colorado (131st which is dead last)
13 for 72 against Mich St (102nd)
10 for 63 against NW (111th)

Those teams are all awful versus the run. He was bad against Purdue (9 for 13, 41st), PSU (5 for 7, 14th), and Iowa (5 for 13, 13th) and ok versus Rutgers (6 for 57, 53rd). There's just not much to say for him being able to get it done currently against good defenses.

Nebraska Frosh LB, Ernest Hausmann, who exploded in second half of season is transferring to the Wolverines. He had 10 tackles when Nebbie played Michigan. Turns out the game was an audition.

Last edited:

Top Bottom