Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

He got beat out of the starting 5 after a midseason injury I believe. Don't think Utah fans are too upset about losing him.

He was quite good for a freshman (16.0 PER, .612 True Shooting Percentage) but those numbers slumped as a soph.

Represented dozens of coaches. Scouted for over 40 years. Know only a small % of kids and families but see hundreds play every year. After so many years close to the game you make friends with people, you meet a lot of folks. Started when i was a kid. My father was close to Phil Woolpert and i had access to practice as a young boy. Played college golf on the west coach and went into a family practice that represented coaches. They thought i had a eye for it and over the years had me do early assessments. Those coaches knew what other coaches were great right away and told me. Decades of going to clinics, practices and games. Listening, watching ,learning. Lifetime now of what makes great leaders, players and teams. Started at home, started with playing sports, grew from the competitive drive and education. Really studied Maslow, Generals, coaches.

As a media guy, I've had lots of opportunities to hang with coaches, mostly at the high school and small college levels. It's given me some access that most people don't get, which I appreciate the heck out of. I obviously don't have the breadth of experience or contacts that you have, but one thing I have learned over the years I've been doing this: you learn a great deal more from watching practices, drills and pre-game shoot arounds than you can from just watching games, film clips or games on TV. It's amazing! Gives one a great overall perspective and context of what teams are looking for and trying to accomplish. I never take that opportunity for granted.

Having said that, I also have noticed that a lot of media guys don't really take advantage of those opportunities. Could be time constraints, lack of interest, ect. but I've seen plenty who only show up for the games, and possibly a quick 5 minute pre-game and that's all they see. They're missing out>

Last edited:

Mutaf rated second best prospect out of Turkey birth year 2002. Mid forties ranking for Non USA born prospect in his class. Rated quite a bit higher than Ihnen was. I have no problem with is pedigree. Gach appears to be just as attractive prospect as Peterson. Since Gach already is 3 years out of high school and therefore may not interested in a sit out year...So playing close enough to home to get waiver seems reasonable

I'm not sure why we didn't pursue Both out of high school but there could be a couple reasons.
If language or some requirements prevented him from qualifying out of high school that'd be one.
He was razor thin which could be a drawback in the Big Ten. But he is lightning quick, fearless attacking the rim on the break and can completely overtake a game from 3 when he hits a frequent hot streak. Saw him play a bunch at Austin...like his game a lot. But like a lot of guys he needs a coach who will utilize his strengths and not ask him to do things he isn't capable of. Put him in scheme that covers up the weaknesses and utilizes his gifts. We have not done that much other than with guys who dominate the ball.

Thanks for the scouting report. Sounds like he would be a good pickup for us.

Mutaf rated second best prospect out of Turkey birth year 2002. Mid forties ranking for Non USA born prospect in his class. Rated quite a bit higher than Ihnen was. I have no problem with is pedigree. Gach appears to be just as attractive prospect as Peterson. Since Gach already is 3 years out of high school and therefore may not interested in a sit out year...So playing close enough to home to get waiver seems reasonable

Lets go!

Mutaf looks like a bucket getter. You can always use those in the college game, where teams struggle a lot to score. If Carr is locked down, who else can we count on to get buckets? Mashburn? Ihnen? Robbins if eligible?

As a media guy, I've had lots of opportunities to hang with coaches, mostly at the high school and small college levels. It's given me some access that most people don't get, which I appreciate the heck out of. I obviously don't have the breadth of experience or contacts that you have, but one thing I have learned over the years I've been doing this: you learn a great deal more from watching practices, drills and pre-game shoot arounds than you can from just watching games, film clips or games on TV. It's amazing! Gives one a great overall perspective and context of what teams are looking for and trying to accomplish. I never take that opportunity for granted.

Having said that, I also have noticed that a lot of media guys don't really take advantage of those opportunities. Could be time constraints, lack of interest, ect. but I've seen plenty who only show up for the games, and possibly a quick 5 minute pre-game and that's all they see. They're missing out>
Should clarify that personally I do not see myself as more of a expert than anyone else. It is not for me to judge. As for your insight and opportunities, BRAVO. Agree with every word. FYI, some of those D3 and high school coaches are incredible. They do not face the pressures and time constraints of the D1 guys but not only do they coach for the purity of the game but they really have to build on the vision of what players can do, what they can not do and how to put it together. Much respect.

Sit one play two ? Low efficiency.Would he be cut minutes here ?
Unlike with Drew Peterson (and Robbins!), this would actually be a case of him coming home. With cv19 leniency, I would actually like his chances of getting an immediate eligibility waiver in the old fashioned sense.

Maybe that's still not true though. Maybe that's why someone posted a Tweet of some guy saying "not looking good on that front", and it means Pitino wants (needs) immediate eligibility guys.

Oh, c'mon, let's not get carried away. If he's a budding Luke Doncic, pencil us in for a final 8 appearance now.
Carried away? I never said that Mutaf would be an NBA all-star buddy, just that they have similar play styles and builds. A comparison is just that - clearly you haven’t seen any film of David Mutaf or haven’t seen Luka play or you’d see the similarities. I don’t understand why it would be surprising for Mutaf to model his game after one of the best young European talents in recent memory who is the same height and build as him.

Represented dozens of coaches. Scouted for over 40 years. Know only a small % of kids and families but see hundreds play every year. After so many years close to the game you make friends with people, you meet a lot of folks. Started when i was a kid. My father was close to Phil Woolpert and i had access to practice as a young boy. Played college golf on the west coach and went into a family practice that represented coaches. They thought i had a eye for it and over the years had me do early assessments. Those coaches knew what other coaches were great right away and told me. Decades of going to clinics, practices and games. Listening, watching ,learning. Lifetime now of what makes great leaders, players and teams. Started at home, started with playing sports, grew from the competitive drive and education. Really studied Maslow, Generals, coaches.

That’s awesome built, thanks for giving me the background. Pretty sweet you played college golf on the west coast! Appreciate the insights you offer to the board.

That’s awesome built, thanks for giving me the background. Pretty sweet you played college golf on the west coast! Appreciate the insights you offer to the board.
Just so you know. I thought i was pretty good and on my host visit he brought his 15 and 16 year old daughters who both shot 76 to my 78 ! Called home to tell my father that i would see it through but that i knew right at that moment that i had no future in it beyond amateur golf. It did allow for getting a education, seeing the world and meeting so many thoughtful and interesting people.

Unlike with Drew Peterson (and Robbins!), this would actually be a case of him coming home. With cv19 leniency, I would actually like his chances of getting an immediate eligibility waiver in the old fashioned sense.

Maybe that's still not true though. Maybe that's why someone posted a Tweet of some guy saying "not looking good on that front", and it means Pitino wants (needs) immediate eligibility guys.
It's so hard to guess whether that'd even be a possibility. I like the look of the kid and would take him in a minute, but this highlights the bind someone like Pitino is in if he's recruiting and coaching for his job this year. He might be inclined to pass up a good sit-out guy for a merely serviceable play-immediately guy, and that's how your program continues to be mired in the mud.

Just so you know. I thought i was pretty good and on my host visit he brought his 15 and 16 year old daughters who both shot 76 to my 78 ! Called home to tell my father that i would see it through but that i knew right at that moment that i had no future in it beyond amateur golf. It did allow for getting a education, seeing the world and meeting so many thoughtful and interesting people.
So ... did both those daughters go pro then??

Also, your thoughts on high school and college golf in the upper midwest? Do you follow Gopher golf? Have to assume it is a far cry from the west coast and south (same with baseball and tennis). In particular, your thoughts on Gophers golf with respect to potential athletics teams cuts because of cv19.

Last edited:

It's so hard to guess whether that'd even be a possibility. I like the look of the kid and would take him in a minute, but this highlights the bind someone like Pitino is in if he's recruiting and coaching for his job this year. He might be inclined to pass up a good sit-out guy for a merely serviceable play-immediately guy, and that's how your program continues to be mired in the mud.
Uh, you're missing the cause, for the symptoms.

Pitino is how your program got in the mud in the first place, and why it'll stay mired there.

So ... did both those daughters go pro then??

Also, your thoughts on high school and college golf in the upper midwest? Do you follow Gopher golf? Have to assume it is a far cry from the west coast and south (same with baseball and tennis). In particular, your thoughts on Gophers golf with respect to potential athletics teams cuts because of cv19.
Neither of the young ladies in question made it but they did have great college careers. High school and college golf in the midwest lags way behind the west coast. Tim Herron gave a really insightful talk about not only the climate but the level of competition hinders them, the lack of exposure to various types of grass,etc. In tennis the climate is a non factor but the lack of competition is a killer. You need to play against someone that is slightly better than you are. It would be like comparing the basketball here in youth leagues through high school to the DMV. That area has well over a hundred kids playing D1 hoops.

Neither of the young ladies in question made it but they did have great college careers. High school and college golf in the midwest lags way behind the west coast. Tim Herron gave a really insightful talk about not only the climate but the level of competition hinders them, the lack of exposure to various types of grass,etc. In tennis the climate is a non factor but the lack of competition is a killer. You need to play against someone that is slightly better than you are. It would be like comparing the basketball here in youth leagues through high school to the DMV. That area has well over a hundred kids playing D1 hoops.
Thanks.

Thoughts on Gophers golf and tennis teams? And thoughts on teams like these potentially going to the chopping block to balance athletic dept budgets with loss of revenue?

Appreciate you taking the time to offer your perspective.

Thanks.

Thoughts on Gophers golf and tennis teams? And thoughts on teams like these potentially going to the chopping block to balance athletic dept budgets with loss of revenue?

Appreciate you taking the time to offer your perspective.
Know nothing about Tennis at the U. Golf may survive, not only have they had tremendous success but large donors are available to privately fund that.

Know nothing about Tennis at the U. Golf may survive, not only have they had tremendous success but large donors are available to privately fund that.
I say they should be called on to do that, then.

Completely unaware that U golf has had "tremendous success". Must be ignored then by STrib?

I say they should be called on to do that, then.

Completely unaware that U golf has had "tremendous success". Must be ignored then by STrib?
They actually have had a NCAA champion and Big 10 champions. They have had a player who won the U.S. Amateur and is a member at Augusta National. Big donors love golf.

Carried away? .....clearly you haven’t seen any film of David Mutaf or haven’t seen Luka play or you’d see the similarities. I don’t understand why it would be surprising for Mutaf to model his game after one of the best young European talents in recent memory who is the same height and build as him.

No, I haven't seen any film of him but I would be unwilling to suggest a Luka Doncic comparable even if I had. Doncic is a superlative example and those are very rare. As far as saying Mutaf might try to emulate him because of his size and build, well, I'm sure you could say the same thing about countless numbers of players with a similar size or build as Michael Jordan or Lebron James, but, of course, almost all of those players fell far, far short of those comparisons.

I didn’t realize that Steve Forbes had taken the Wake Forest job, I wonder if Hodges ends up there. Hodges has a pretty solid all around game, not the greatest shooter though and he’s a sit one, play one guy. At this point, it doesn’t feel like they are going to find an impact guy who can help right away so Hodges makes sense.

He had a good game @kansas, (22 pts on 8-14 FGs, 7 REB, 1 AST, 3 STL, 3 BLK, 5 TO) and also played well against @LSU (13 pts on 6-11 FGs, 9 REB, 5 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 1 TO).

Doesn't shoot the 3 well (25% this year, 35% last year) and is also a poor FT shooter (62% career). Seems to be a strong rebounder and shoots well from the field (50.2%) so I am assuming he is more of a slasher/physical type guard.

Their coach left for Wake Forest so apparently he would rather also move on.

He had a good game @kansas, (22 pts on 8-14 FGs, 7 REB, 1 AST, 3 STL, 3 BLK, 5 TO) and also played well against @LSU (13 pts on 6-11 FGs, 9 REB, 5 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 1 TO).

Doesn't shoot the 3 well (25% this year, 35% last year) and is also a poor FT shooter (62% career). Seems to be a strong rebounder and shoots well from the field (50.2%) so I am assuming he is more of a slasher/physical type guard.

Their coach left for Wake Forest so apparently he would rather also move on.
Only 6'5" and can't shoot the 3. Doesn't seem like he'd make us better. Pass.

I'd take a kid who does all around things well. Doesn't need to be a good 3 pt. shooter. I like he comes from a winning program with Forbes

No, I haven't seen any film of him but I would be unwilling to suggest a Luka Doncic comparable even if I had. Doncic is a superlative example and those are very rare. As far as saying Mutaf might try to emulate him because of his size and build, well, I'm sure you could say the same thing about countless numbers of players with a similar size or build as Michael Jordan or Lebron James, but, of course, almost all of those players fell far, far short of those comparisons.
Earlier you made it sound like I was saying that Mutaf was the next Luka Doncic. All I said was they have comparable builds and similar styles of play - which is obvious if you watch any sort of film of Mutaf (which you clearly haven't).

Go watch some film of David Mutaf before arguing with me about his style of play, please.

They actually have had a NCAA champion and Big 10 champions. They have had a player who won the U.S. Amateur and is a member at Augusta National. Big donors love golf.

My cousin was dating the daughter of the golfer you are speaking about. Let's just say given the connections to Augusta and presumably many other top flight courses that I never pulled harder for a relationship to survive. Sadly, my cousin blew it. :( I did hear though he was a really great guy.

My cousin was dating the daughter of the golfer you are speaking about. Let's just say given the connections to Augusta and presumably many other top flight courses that I never pulled harder for a relationship to survive. Sadly, my cousin blew it. :( I did hear though he was a really great guy.

That cousin would be dead to me :)

Incredibly kind and caring man. He also played hockey for some guy named Herb Brooks and was the 2nd leading scorer on a national championship team !

Is this golfer transferring to Minnesota to play on the hoops team?

Top Bottom