Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Which one happens more often?

Good question. My guess would be players leave more often by a fair margin, but have never seen any data on this. Would also depend if contributing players or all players are included in the denominator.

Good question. My guess would be players leave more often by a fair margin, but have never seen any data on this. Would also depend if contributing players or all players are included in the denominator.
Yeah you would have to monitor by a percentage of all players or coaches that move up a level each year, obviously having three times as many players on the team as coaches you're going to have more volume of players transferring

Good for us that solid options continue to enter the portal. Thought we might be winding down after the NCAA rumors of not passing the immediate eligibility

Good for us that solid options continue to enter the portal. Thought we might be winding down after the NCAA rumors of not passing the immediate eligibility

Yeah I think we could see the transfer game stretch into late June/July this year

The extension of the draft deadline is also interesting. Do some schools fill their full scholarship numbers and then if a guy pulls out what do they do? For example if we filled our 2 and in mid July Oturu says actually I'm coming back, we give someone the boot i suppose. But that may not be the case for everyone

Curious, who do you see as solid options.

Both happen quite a lot. If coaches are allowed to do it, players should be too.

I don't think anybody is saying player's shouldn't be allowed to.

Just that, as much as people want to hate on coaches, their livlihoods are impacted a heck of a lot more by the 'transfer epidemic'.

Yes, they are millionaires and we aren't supposed to "side" with them in the ever-ongoing battle of millionaires vs the oppressed, but they are the ones doing this for an actual living, and when their top players leave (especially from the programs that aren't established), their ability to do and keep their job becomes even more challenging.

When a coach leaves, players are usually afforded the opportunity to leave as well, or in a lot of cases, an assistant coach (whom the players, in a typical scenario) have a relationship with already. So it's a little less high and dry.

I get that all sorts of different situations happen. Coaches leave and it screws players. Players leave and it screws coaches. It's all allowed. I think it's okay to not love the entire thing, while acknowledging that it isn't going away.

1. Malake Foreman from Stony Brook
2. David Mutaf from Turkey
3. The other Stony Brook guy (Olanyiyi?) if we want a sit-out

Looking at stats because I'm not an elite Stony Brook mind, and I'd much rather have the Olanyiyi kid. Bigger, a lot more productive over the last two years and much more efficient.

Foreman is small and averaging 15 points on 14 shots. Good 3-point shooter, but appears to do little else. If we take him, I'm good with it, but if there's a scenario where we have to pick one or the other, I'm taking the better one even if there's a good chance he has to sit.

Curious, who do you see as solid options.
I think the Stony Brook kids are guys I would take. I like Eastern. I'm not saying we end up getting these kids but these are guys that would come in and play / make an impact

Point more being that kids continue to enter the portal

I think the Stony Brook kids are guys I would take. I like Eastern. I'm not saying we end up getting these kids but these are guys that would come in and play / make an impact

Point more being that kids continue to enter the portal
Thanks. I understand about more kids entering.

1. Malake Foreman from Stony Brook
2. David Mutaf from Turkey
3. The other Stony Brook guy (Olanyiyi?) if we want a sit-out
David Mutaf would be a great get imo. Kid can straight up play and moves very well for his size - could put him at SG or SF. Hard to imagine Pitino would take a risk on the sit-out player with his job on the line but who knows.

Not sure why anyone would be excited about Makale Foreman unless they have seen him play. To me he profiles as the exact type of player that typically struggles when moving up a level. Makale is an undersized volume shooter who doesn't help you in any other boxscore category. In his career, he's never shot 40 percent from the field. If there is any regression at all in his 3 point shooting moving up to the B1G (and you should expect there to be as a 6'1 SG) his free throw shooting becomes his only positive statistical asset. I would imagine a number of guys still available are higher on the Gophers list than Foreman at this time.

Not sure why anyone would be excited about Makale Foreman unless they have seen him play. To me he profiles as the exact type of player that typically struggles when moving up a level. Makale is an undersized volume shooter who doesn't help you in any other boxscore category. In his career, he's never shot 40 percent from the field. If there is any regression at all in his 3 point shooting moving up to the B1G (and you should expect there to be as a 6'1 SG) his free throw shooting becomes his only positive statistical asset. I would imagine a number of guys still available are higher on the Gophers list than Foreman at this time.

So what's your vibe on David Mutaf?

Probably a pipe dream here.

No thanks on Eastern. We already have a taller version (energy guy who defends and rebounds but can’t shoot a lick) in Omersa. If we load the roster with those kind of players we’ll think Dan Monson has returned.
I get that eastern would have to sit a year, but we dont want an experienced big ten player that's a lock down defender? I know hes not a scorer, but hes more of a threat than omersa. Some of the people on this board are excited for possibly getting a guy from stony brook who will probably shoot 34% with the step up in competition, but we dont want eastern. I'll admit that I think there will still be better options, but I'd take eastern in a second.

So are we going to end up with anyone to fill Willis's spot??

So are we going to end up with anyone to fill Willis's spot??

I don't think I'd be discouraged by Eastern. Not sure he was ever a real interest or option. But I think with some of the new names popping into our view in the last week, it's clear Pitino and staff have irons in the fire for the two spots. We just have to extend our patience this year as it's clear the roster fluidity is going to stretch a lot later due to COVID

Arkansas and Eric Musselman are going after David Mutaf. Apparently Mutaf likes that one of their assistant coaches has past NBA experience. You would have to think having Demir and sending Coffey/Oturu to the NBA would give us the edge though right?

Top Bottom