Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Let's grab Eastern and the Turk. Call it good (y)
I'm pretty sure that he will have to sit out next year, that doesn't help Pitino. Oh, he's not very good either.

I'm all in on Drew Peterson now. 6'8 versatile guard that can do a bit of everything. His video passes the eye test to me. He averaged 7.6/4.6/2.6 in 6 games versus top 100 competition last season, which is pretty close to what Willis gave us last year.
How did that turn out?

I'm pretty sure that he will have to sit out next year, that doesn't help Pitino. Oh, he's not very good either.
I gotta disagree. Sit out, yes, but he's more than capable of playing a lot and making an impact.

Could you expand on your post?
He’s just a horrible offensive player. He can’t hit the 3 (3 of 16 in 3 years, and all 3 that he made were in his freshman year). Poor FT shooter. I wouldn’t want to commit 2 years on him to get 1 season out of him.

Last edited:

per Marcus' Q&A:

Q: Now that Rice transfer Drew Peterson has backed out of his commitment, and BJ Greenlee is transferring, who are the potential replacements on Pitino’s radar? – Dan Chang

A: Things appear to be moving quickly toward Pitino having a chance to land 17-year-old Turkish guard David Mutaf. The 6-foot-6, 200-pound native of Istanbul has been talking a lot to the Gophers staff recently -- and even saw a virtual tour of the U. They are looking to add depth at the wing after losing starting junior Payton Willis to transfer last month. Rice transfer Drew Peterson was an ideal replacement with his size and versatility, but he committed Monday to USC and has to sit out. Mutaf, who also has heard from some SEC, Big East and Pac-12 schools, is known for his three-point shooting and ability to create his own shot. His older brother, Cam Maxim Mutaf, is a member of the Turkish senior national basketball team. Mutaf has experience with the junior national team as well. What might give Minnesota an edge is fellow countryman Alihan Demir having enjoyed his senior year here last season after transferring from Drexel. Demir has said good things to Mutaf about the Gophers. If he signs with Minnesota, it will be the second straight class with a recruit from overseas, including German forward Isaiah Ihnen last year.

Go Gophers!!

1589375059455.png

I gotta disagree. Sit out, yes, but he's more than capable of playing a lot and making an impact.
No idea. It's hypothetical at this point. I assume we are interested I would just think the harder part would be is he interested in us.

Sounds like we have called on two Stony Brook transers (Makale Foreman and Elijah Olaniyi).

Also Mac McClung entered the portal. Big youtube sensation, guessing he feels like he is going to get the Duke/Kansas/Kentucky offers to boost his brand to me, but i would absolutely call on him, he is electric to watch.

I think I'd rather have the Turkish kid to develop than a sit-one, play-one transfer. But I guess I'm just looking at longer-term upside.

That's fair. For some reason I was just assuming they were both grad transfers. If Olaniyi for sure has to sit a year then I'd probably take the Turkish kid too.

That's fair. For some reason I was just assuming they were both grad transfers. If Olaniyi for sure has to sit a year then I'd probably take the Turkish kid too.

I'm just going off Goodman's tweet above. I just am not sure Pitino will want to sign up for another game of waiver bingo (already a lot hinging on Robbins' waiver). Olaniyi has nice numbers and size (6-5) so he would def bring something the following year. Guess it just might depend how legit they think the Turk is/can be

Always feel bad for these mid and low major coaches. Pour your heart and soul into a player's development and if that is successful he decides to leave your program.

Always feel bad for these mid and low major coaches. Pour your heart and soul into a player's development and if that is successful he decides to leave your program.
Always feel bad for these mid and low major players. You commit to a coach, pour your heart and soul into working hard in the weightroom and gym, learning his system and his coaching style, and if he is successful he decides to leave the program.

You're never guaranteed anything past the current season year.

Each year is its own career.

But most coaches take the opportunity to move up too

Always feel bad for these mid and low major players. You commit to a coach, pour your heart and soul into working hard in the weightroom and gym, learning his system and his coaching style, and if he is successful he decides to leave the program.

Which one happens more often?

Top Bottom