Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

If anybody cares, our two most recent comps to Greenlee are Jamir Harris and Ahmad Gilbert.

Jamir Harris was a priority recruit as I remember, but struggled in his freshman year (shot 35% from the floor), averaging 14 minutes per game. He announced he was transferring on April 6th. He sat out a year, and played 32 minutes per game (11 ppg) for American in the Patriot League.

Side note, if we can point to a single recruiting class that was the reason Pitino is fired next season, Jamir Harris and Isaiah Washington, who should be our seniors next year, would be it.

Ahmad Gilbert actually played two seasons for us, but he actually played less his sophomore year (75 minutes). He announced his transfer on March 28th and sat out a year. He played last year at Rider but didn't see the floor much and wasn't effective. He didn't appear on their roster this year so he must have just decided to graduate after 4 years in college.

Excellent point in bold. If youre not going to get the top 35 guys, you need seniors every year to make you a top team. Pitino's class balance has been poor.

Excellent point in bold. If youre not going to get the top 35 guys, you need seniors every year to make you a top team. Pitino's class balance has been poor.

Can't this also be done through Transfer markets? It's really hard/almost impossible to truly balance classes with the amount of transfers and it's only going to get worse. Basically need to manage on a year by year basis.

Can't this also be done through Transfer markets? It's really hard/almost impossible to truly balance classes with the amount of transfers and it's only going to get worse. Basically need to manage on a year by year basis.
Great point. It is hard to keep everyone happy and around. Although Harris and Washington both had opportunities to prove themselves. Only bummer about transfer markets is then you dont have guys in your system for 4-5 years.

Great point. It is hard to keep everyone happy and around. Although Harris and Washington both had opportunities to prove themselves. Only bummer about transfer markets is then you dont have guys in your system for 4-5 years.
Yeah no doubt that class was a killer, but technically you could count Carr as a replacement in that class too.

If anybody cares, our two most recent comps to Greenlee are Jamir Harris and Ahmad Gilbert.

Jamir Harris was a priority recruit as I remember, but struggled in his freshman year (shot 35% from the floor), averaging 14 minutes per game. He announced he was transferring on April 6th. He sat out a year, and played 32 minutes per game (11 ppg) for American in the Patriot League.

Side note, if we can point to a single recruiting class that was the reason Pitino is fired next season, Jamir Harris and Isaiah Washington, who should be our seniors next year, would be it.

Ahmad Gilbert was a later spring commit (April 22nd) and actually played two seasons for us, but he actually played less his sophomore year (75 minutes). He announced his transfer on March 28th and sat out a year. He played last year at Rider but didn't see the floor much and wasn't effective. He didn't appear on their roster this year so he must have just decided to graduate after 4 years in college.
I still think of Harris as a good recruit that just didn't work out.

Yeah no doubt that class was a killer, but technically you could count Carr as a replacement in that class too.
True. And nice that he has 2 more years of eligibility, although with him itching to play pro, not sure he lasts both years

While this is true, the transfer market can be tough for a program.

Carr is great but that lost scholarship/lack of PG absolutely killed us last year. It also would have been great if we had Willis instead of Brock Stull last year.

My point is that missing on your recruits really hurts a program, even if they are replaced by better players on the transfer market. That year when the player sits can really bite a team in the butt.

Carr is great but that lost scholarship/lack of PG absolutely killed us last year. It also would have been great if we had Willis instead of Brock Stull last year.

My point is that missing on your recruits really hurts a program, even if they are replaced by better players on the transfer market. That year when the player sits can really bite a team in the butt.
IMO Pitino really struggled to incorporate Stull into the offense. I thought he had flashes that showed he was capable of contributing. Confidence was never instilled in him and it just didn't fit. I really think he coulda been a decent piece for a good team. Similar to Demir this year. Demir just seemed lost and couldn't get it back. Loss of all confidence for both.

IMO Pitino really struggled to incorporate Stull into the offense. I thought he had flashes that showed he was capable of contributing. Confidence was never instilled in him and it just didn't fit. I really think he coulda been a decent piece for a good team. Similar to Demir this year. Demir just seemed lost and couldn't get it back. Loss of all confidence for both.

It wasn't an offensive issue (besides some turnovers) why stull couldn't get time. He was too much a liability defensively.

It wasn't an offensive issue (besides some turnovers) why stull couldn't get time. He was too much a liability defensively.
You've seen plenty of shooters come along that you can hide within a defense or put him on another team's bad player. But as soon as Stull slumped, we gave up on him. Maybe it wasn't the wrong move as I didn't see his confidence coming back.

Remember that Pitino was counting on Carr to be able to play last year, but Pitt messed that up.

Remember that Pitino was counting on Carr to be able to play last year, but Pitt messed that up.

I know that Richard was counting on that, but it was up in the air. It was a risk and Carr is a good player. It definitely would have been a risk worth taking had we not whiffed on Michael Hurt, Washington, and had Willis sitting out.

Good plan. His minutes were just going to continue to go down.
Why? BTW- I can't for the life of me figure out why Garza would stay.... If there ever has been a player that has peaked out at the college level, it's him.

Pitino was not counting on Carr to play last year. He was counting on Isaiah Washington to be good. And Isaiah Washington went in the tank and wasn't good. That amplified Carr's absence, but Pitino felt it was 50/50 at best that Carr was going to get immediate eligibility. The miss was on Washington.

Last edited:

Why? BTW- I can't for the life of me figure out why Garza would stay.... If there ever has been a player that has peaked out at the college level, it's him.
They have gone down every year and have better players developing. Garza, i do not know his situation. Perhaps school is a priority, it is for some . Perhaps he promised his family, maybe a masters and a shot next year at a title, then a shot a pro basketball.

Peaked out? He didn't even get to finish his season to see what his team could do.

Maybe he thinks if he returns, they can win a Big Ten title. Maybe he thinks they can make a run at a Final Four. There are many things left to accomplish, especially if team success is important to him.

And, from an individual standpoint, maybe he wants to win the Naismith Award or the Wooden Award, neither of which he won this year.

Garza can take the Amir Coffey approach and go get paid, leaving his team behind. Or, Garza can take the Lamar Stevens approach and come back for team accomplishments and additional personal accolades.

Peaked out? He didn't even get to finish his season to see what his team could do.

Maybe he thinks if he returns, they can win a Big Ten title. Maybe he thinks they can make a run at a Final Four. There are many things left to accomplish, especially if team success is important to him.

And, from an individual standpoint, maybe he wants to win the Naismith Award or the Wooden Award, neither of which he won this year.

Garza can take the Amir Coffey approach and go get paid, leaving his team behind. Or, Garza can take the Lamar Stevens approach and come back for team accomplishments and additional personal accolades.
If he comes back you'd definitely have to say he just appreciates playing for Iowa and wants to win with Iowa. You can't say we've really had that chemistry or commitment under Pitino. It shows with the way we play on the floor.

But we're an NBA factory baby! Kentucky minus the wins!

Last edited:

Yep. All kinds of reasons for Garza to come back. There may not be a ton of these guys around anymore, but there still are really good players where legacy and team success means something to them. Not to mention, is he even projected to get drafted?

Stevens (and Penn State) was one of the guys I was really pulling for this season. He's the first guy I think of when I think of the guys who really got screwed over by the Coronavirus. That dude deserved to play in a NCAA Tournament.

Last edited:

Brief conversation change here, I would think we have a decent chance at Udeze. Seems like we've been recruiting him very hard and we do clearly have that immediate PT that I'm sure he's big on after riding the bench at Wichita.

If he comes back you'd definitely have to say he just appreciates playing for Iowa and wants to win with Iowa. You can't say we've really had that chemistry or commitment under Pitino. It shows with the way we play on the floor.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I guess you wanted to work in yet another shot at Pitino when the discussion was solely about Garza and Iowa?

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I guess you wanted to work in yet another shot at Pitino when the discussion was solely about Garza and Iowa?
Take it easy, I love the Gophers. But yeah I made the comparison of Garza and Iowa to Minnesota because we don't have guys like that. I'd much rather relate things to Minnesota and how we're doing or can change/improve. Seems more like any opportunity to go and there gone here. How you run a program/guys you bring in no doubt have a lot to do with that.

I wanna win in Minnesota. And sure you can call that another shot at Pitino because I don't think we're gonna win here with him.

Top Bottom