Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

The day after Walton, I wonder if that's a coincidence? :unsure:

If we want to be optimistic here, let's say Pitino doesn't really know Walton's decision, but Kier is very interested in the Gophers. Pitino is straight with Kier about Walton being #1 on their board and says "Can you wait and make your decision after?"

Not sure how feasible it is, but at least somewhat. If Kier really likes his path at Minnesota - which I definitely would over Georgia; NCST is a coin flip - then he probably is willing to wait a day

If we want to be optimistic here, let's say Pitino doesn't really know Walton's decision, but Kier is very interested in the Gophers. Pitino is straight with Kier about Walton being #1 on their board and says "Can you wait and make your decision after?"

Not sure how feasible it is, but at least somewhat. If Kier really likes his path at Minnesota - which I definitely would over Georgia; NCST is a coin flip - then he probably is willing to wait a day
I think Pitino says to Kier- you are the #1 transfer we want - you'd fit perfect. However, I have pledged to Walton the first shot at it and he's a hometown kid we have been after for years that I have to keep my promise to. Hang in until Sunday....

Yep, that's what I'm thinking is going on. Although, I'm not sure I'd take Walton over Kier. If we get one of the two I'm happy. Even if we don't get either we've still got a great class coming in.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking is going on. Although, I'm not sure I'd take Walton over Kier. If we get one of the two I'm happy. Even if we don't get either we've still got a great class coming in.

I agree. Would be super psyched for Kier. Obviously landing a highly-regarded hometown kid (also with 4 years of eligibility) would be a very nice win on the PR front for Pitino and staff.

I think Pitino says to Kier- you are the #1 transfer we want - you'd fit perfect. However, I have pledged to Walton the first shot at it and he's a hometown kid we have been after for years that I have to keep my promise to. Hang in until Sunday....
Yep, and maybe that's why Walton has a firm date -- Pitino saying you've got till Saturday, or our last slot gets filled on Sunday. Ahh, to be a fly on the wall and be able to listen in on all the conversations... (and yes, this is a fake photo, not a real "fly"...)

Capture.JPG

Kier is a great finisher around the rim and would be able to contribute right away. Walton appears to be the better shooter but either guard will round out our team nicely.

Hopefully, it's the case that Kier is waiting on Walton to announce. If any of you are interested here's a short evaluation of Kier's playstyle.

I like Kier. Happy with him as Option B.

The Gophers fan in me says we get neither. Either one would be awesome.
The gopher fan in me tells me we will get both....the realist tells me we will get neither....PJ Fleck tells me we will get 1 of them

Walton the obvious preference....Justin solid get if healthy

I'd actually rather have Kier, someone that you know can produce. Either of them, and Robbin's getting to play, and I'm really up for next season.
Getting Kier IMO would be probably be an even swap with Willis. Both 6'4" 200 lbs, shoot the 3 decently.

I still vastly would prefer Walton.

Getting Kier IMO would be probably be an even swap with Willis. Both 6'4" 200 lbs, shoot the 3 decently.

I still vastly would prefer Walton.
Me too. However, Kier looks like a better athlete than Willis and perhaps a better shooter too. Willis average 8.9 pts with a ton of minutes. Kier as a junior averaged over 14 plus 6 boards and his videos show that he can finish in the paint in a way that Willis could not.

I'd actually rather have Kier, someone that you know can produce. Either of them, and Robbin's getting to play, and I'm really up for next season.
He will. They're going to approve the one time free no-sit transfer starting immediately (meaning all transfers that take place starting this summer). That's why the transfer portal was so active. It's a done deal.

Me too. However, Kier looks like a better athlete than Willis and perhaps a better shooter too. Willis average 8.9 pts with a ton of minutes. Kier as a junior averaged over 14 plus 6 boards and his videos show that he can finish in the paint in a way that Willis could not.
That would be nice if he was a better athlete. That would be nice to have a guy who is a threat to drive in addition to shooting.

It's hard to say what will happen when guys transfer up or down a division. Akeem Springs actually averaged more attempts per 40 minutes here (14.0) compared to Milwaukee (12.3). Alihan Demir went from 15.0 attempts per 40 minutes to 10.3 when he came to the Gophers.

Looks like Kier was their 1B option at George Mason. Obviously Carr will shoot a lot next year, but I don't know what order after that (Robbins/Johnson/Kalscheur/Ihnen/Mashburn) and how Kier would slot in. Willis will go to Charleston to replace a guy who was jacking up 17.5 shots per 40 minutes, so I expect that to change.

Walton is choice A
Kier is choice A1 because he is a grad transfer with no eligibility concerns
The Rice guy is choice b because he has eligibility concerns and he eats the scholly for two or three years.

Walton is choice A
Kier is choice A1 because he is a grad transfer with no eligibility concerns
The Rice guy is choice b because he has eligibility concerns and he eats the scholly for two or three years.

It looks like a done deal now that all transfers will be eligible immediately, so Peterson likely good to go for next season. I think Gophers end up with Kier or Peterson (Walton to UNC).

Been a nice recruiting period regardless of the outcome here. I like Kier and look forward to seeing him play if he's here. I'd put him a little ahead of Peterson due to efficiency.

Top Bottom