Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Peterson is still my favorite out of all the guys remaining. We don't have a lanky wing that can pass/shoot/rebound right now...Ihnen is probably the closest thing?

I'm impressed that he led his team in rebounding and assists as a sophomore. Not too often you see that happen. I watched some video of him and high school and he has a nice quick no-look pass and seems to like finishing in traffic. Not a great 3PT shooter (33%) but he did make 1.5 per game which is nice. 82.4% FT shooter so you want him on the floor at the end of the game.

Maybe I'm just biased, he looks just like a guy I played with in middle/high school and has a similar game, too.

PG - Carr
SG - Gabe
SF - Peterson
PF - Ihnen
C - Robbins

Mashburn and Willis provide some bench scoring, Curry and Omersa and Freeman rotate in at the 4/5.

Last edited:

Peterson is still my favorite out of all the guys remaining. We don't have a lanky wing that can pass/shoot/rebound right now...Ihnen is probably the closest thing?

I'm impressed that he led his team in rebounding and assists as a sophomore. Not too often you see that happen. I watched some video of him and high school and he has a nice quick no-look pass and seems to like finishing in traffic. Not a great 3PT shooter (33%) but he did make 1.5 per game which is nice. 82.4% FT shooter so you want him on the floor at the end of the game.

Maybe I'm just biased, he looks just like a guy I played with in middle/high school and has a similar game, too.

PG - Carr
SG - Gabe
SF - Peterson
PF - Ihnen
C - Robbins

Mashburn and Willis provide some bench scoring, Curry and Omersa and Freeman rotate in at the 4/5.
Has he indicated when he will decide?

Robbins is a big get for the program and I wonder if that will impact Freeman as he's been rumored to want to stay as he saw potential for playing time post Oturu. He's now theoretically behind Robbins until his Senior year...

Peterson is an intriguing piece on the offensive end with his versatility, but I wonder how he would hold up defensively? The other Rice kid who had previously eliminated the Gophers had told Doogie that he actually wants to redshirt in 2020 due to moving up in competition and the fact that he's still growing. I would assume he wasn't a fit for the Gophers given that desire.

Robbins is a big get for the program and I wonder if that will impact Freeman as he's been rumored to want to stay as he saw potential for playing time post Oturu. He's now theoretically behind Robbins until his Senior year...

Peterson is an intriguing piece on the offensive end with his versatility, but I wonder how he would hold up defensively? The other Rice kid who had previously eliminated the Gophers had told Doogie that he actually wants to redshirt in 2020 due to moving up in competition and the fact that he's still growing. I would assume he wasn't a fit for the Gophers given that desire.
I wonder the same thing about Sam Freeman. I feel a little bad -- I thought he would have 2 years to get ready to replace Oturu.

Peterson is rail thin. 6'8" 185 lbs. I wonder how he would hold up, too. I think he would probably benefit from a sit out year, too. But Pitino doesn't have that luxury. If that's what Trey Murphy wanted, it makes sense why MN wasn't a realistic option and didn't make the cut.

He saw himself as someone who can play at a elite program based on how others were developed and what those schools look like in two years. Smart kid to want the full experience. Gophers would have loved to have him as a one year sit out.

How does Mitchell fit into this mix next year? Is he an end of the bench player next year or will he play a role like Ihnen this year?

I would imagine he has the same learning curve as ihlen
Ihnen would've been quicker to the party if: 1) he was able to get on campus earlier (I remember there being a delay for some reason), and 2) he didn't have the wrist injury. If Mitchell follows Ihnen's intended trajectory I'll be happy.

I'm thinkin' we almost gotta have a grad transfer at this point, or a kid you know is gonna be eligible, which I don't think we know with anybody that's not a GT. That gives you Johnson, El-Amin, Haarms(seems like a long shot), and Walton on my list at this point.
You don't necessarily need to, but Pitino's job gets a lot tougher and he's hangin' on by a thread. Especially if Robbins is ineligible. That would be a huge bummer.

How does Mitchell fit into this mix next year? Is he an end of the bench player next year or will he play a role like Ihnen this year?
I could see Mitchell getting some run during the non-conference schedule and not playing much in the big ten. He is a skilled player, but really needs to add some weight as a big man.

Unless I’m watching the wrong videos...there is zero comparison between Ihnen and Mitchell. Yes, both are tall, the comparison ends there.
Each highlight video I have seen of Mitchell all he does is dunk. I have seen a video of him going thru perimeter drills robotically.
He did not make the list of Chicago guys honored for their outstanding play.
He is a project.
Could he blossom? Sure. But he has been a center. He wants to be a guard. Wishing, being athletic, is only a start to that end. It would be remarkable if he was a minutes worthy Big Ten perimeter player as a freshman. I see much more potential in Freeman as a post player or as a contributor.

Im basing this on the very limited video I have found and the accolades voters felt he wasn’t ready for.
Distant potential is what I see in Mitchell. Nothing like Ihnen who much more so just needs to acclimate to USA basketball to be outstanding! Ihnen’s basketball talent jumps off the screen for me. Mitchell has height and athleticism and is a basketball skills work in progress.

Unless I’m watching the wrong videos...there is zero comparison between Ihnen and Mitchell. Yes, both are tall, the comparison ends there.
Each highlight video I have seen of Mitchell all he does is dunk. I have seen a video of him going thru perimeter drills robotically.
He did not make the list of Chicago guys honored for their outstanding play.
He is a project.
Could he blossom? Sure. But he has been a center. He wants to be a guard. Wishing, being athletic, is only a start to that end. It would be remarkable if he was a minutes worthy Big Ten perimeter player as a freshman. I see much more potential in Freeman as a post player or as a contributor.

Im basing this on the very limited video I have found and the accolades voters felt he wasn’t ready for.
Distant potential is what I see in Mitchell. Nothing like Ihnen who much more so just needs to acclimate to USA basketball to be outstanding! Ihnen’s basketball talent jumps off the screen for me. Mitchell has height and athleticism and is a basketball skills work in progress.
Ihnen is a kid that I think could do work at the 3, 4 or 5. What he needs to add is strength and his ability to drive to the bucket and finish. If he has a big offseason, he gives Pitino the option to add the best player he can find whether that player is a 3 or 4 because Ihnen could be a little interchangable. What we saw last season was a stretch 4 but I am expecting more this coming year. I hope we get Walton, but if we don't a guy like Johnson who is a 6-8 kid that can get boards and play defense could still play with Ihnen.

He is a project.
Could he blossom? Sure. But he has been a center. He wants to be a guard. Wishing, being athletic, is only a start to that end. It would be remarkable if he was a minutes worthy Big Ten perimeter player as a freshman.

Almost all kids have a weird preference to "play down" a position coming out of high school. But then reality hits when they get to the college level and realize the quickest way to get PT is to embrace their natural skill set.

Mitchell will not be a wing/perimeter player for us.

PG - Carr
SG - Gabe
SF - Peterson
PF - Ihnen
C - Robbins

I see no way RP doesnt start Willis. I would be all for him being the 7th-8th man if we got a nice wing commit this year but thats just not how coaches work. I started this guy last year and he is back, obviously I have to start him this year! Thats not a specific knock on RP, thats almost universal among coaches in any sport.

I see no way RP doesnt start Willis. I would be all for him being the 7th-8th man if we got a nice wing commit this year but thats just not how coaches work. I started this guy last year and he is back, obviously I have to start him this year! Thats not a specific knock on RP, thats almost universal among coaches in any sport.

I sure hope we get a recruit thats better than Willis, and if they are better they should start. I get what youre saying, but based on what I saw, if Willis is starting, thats not a positive.

I still contend we should probably have started williams down the stretch for additional defense and brought willis off the bench so we could have some scoring from our reserves

At the end of the day I don't care who starts. The plan was for Willis to be a reserve last year until Coffey didn't return. And it's not like Willis was a star player or anything. Pitino benched McBrayer halfway through his sophomore year for Akeem Springs even though he had started basically a season's worth of games at that point.

I just really hope we can get some scoring from our bench next year. It was so glaring when you are watching a game and you see those stats where the Gophers have 2 bench points at the end of the game, and our opponent has 20.

Anyone else find it interesting we are still calling on all these bigs in the transfer market? I havent seen anything taking us out of the Udeze running, we are in the top 3 for Markusson, we called on Haarms etc. Seems strange that after Robbins we are still trying to get a big and not using the last scholarship on a wing.

So does RP think he has another spot left to use? (Curry?, Greenlee?) Or is he confident enough in Williams/Willis/Ihnen/Gabe to lock down the 2-3 spots that he doesnt think we need another wing? Are we doing a twin towers thing?

Anyone else find it interesting we are still calling on all these bigs in the transfer market? I havent seen anything taking us out of the Udeze running, we are in the top 3 for Markusson, we called on Haarms etc. Seems strange that after Robbins we are still trying to get a big and not using the last scholarship on a wing.

So does RP think he has another spot left to use? (Curry?, Greenlee?) Or is he confident enough in Williams/Willis/Ihnen/Gabe to lock down the 2-3 spots that he doesnt think we need another wing? Are we doing a twin towers thing?
Maybe possible that Freeman is transferring?

Last edited:

Brandon Johnson could help a lot next year on the boards and scoring. Cinci has a big need and I think is closer to home.

Almost all kids have a weird preference to "play down" a position coming out of high school. But then reality hits when they get to the college level and realize the quickest way to get PT is to embrace their natural skill set.

Yeah, people who have actually seen him play consider him a 4 who can also play minutes at the 5. Not a 4 who can also play the 3.

That's the safe bet. But...if he at some point in his career becomes a starter at the 3 then he is a big time player. You have to have a good handle to play the 3. Let's see how he develops, his HS coach sure thinks he can become a college 3.

I sure hope we get a recruit thats better than Willis, and if they are better they should start. I get what youre saying, but based on what I saw, if Willis is starting, thats not a positive.

I don't really understand this comment. Willis was pretty solid last year. If not for the ankle injury which caused him to miss a couple games and slowed him down for another 3-4, he was easily the 3rd best option we had offensively when healthy. Now, is that a good thing for a team aiming for the NCAA tournament? Maybe not, but some of you are acting like he is a completely disposable player.

And just because someone starts, doesn't mean they'll play the most minutes.

per Shama:

Drew Peterson, a potential basketball transfer to the Gophers, told the Houston Chronicle website last week he wasn’t going to leave Rice until two teammates made the decision to pursue other schools. The 6-8 Libertyville, Illinois native can play guard and forward. As a sophomore last season, he led the Owls in both rebounding average per game at 6.5 and in assists at 3.5. He was third in scoring at 11.1.

Go Gophers!!

San Diego State, Gophers, and Louisville are his final choices.

San Diego State loses 6'11" Yanni Wetzel who played 28 mpg and averaged 12/6.
Louisville loses 6'10" Steven Enoch who played 21 mpg, averaged 10/6 (former Gophers target)
Gophers lose Oturu at 34 mpg, averaged 20/11. Add Robbins. Freeman still here.

It seems like we have the most production to replace, but Robbins complicates things. We likely won't know his status until after Markusson decides.

Intriguing on many levels and a well-timed & needed distraction

I don't really understand this comment. Willis was pretty solid last year. If not for the ankle injury which caused him to miss a couple games and slowed him down for another 3-4, he was easily the 3rd best option we had offensively when healthy. Now, is that a good thing for a team aiming for the NCAA tournament? Maybe not, but some of you are acting like he is a completely disposable player.

And just because someone starts, doesn't mean they'll play the most minutes.

I'll rephrase that. I hope they get a player in the spring that is better than Willis and therefore, will play more minutes. It might even be Tre Williams. Willis might be adequate, but if you want to be good in a major conference, you have to do better than Willis at the 2G

Top Bottom