Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Anyone else find it interesting we are still calling on all these bigs in the transfer market? I havent seen anything taking us out of the Udeze running, we are in the top 3 for Markusson, we called on Haarms etc. Seems strange that after Robbins we are still trying to get a big and not using the last scholarship on a wing.

So does RP think he has another spot left to use? (Curry?, Greenlee?) Or is he confident enough in Williams/Willis/Ihnen/Gabe to lock down the 2-3 spots that he doesnt think we need another wing? Are we doing a twin towers thing?

I think it's mainly because we don't know for sure if Robbins will be eligible to play next season. Even if he does, we need someone to back him up. Freeman isn't ready unless he has a huge offseason and Curry obviously has a hard time staying healthy.

Anyone else find it interesting we are still calling on all these bigs in the transfer market? I havent seen anything taking us out of the Udeze running, we are in the top 3 for Markusson, we called on Haarms etc. Seems strange that after Robbins we are still trying to get a big and not using the last scholarship on a wing.

So does RP think he has another spot left to use? (Curry?, Greenlee?) Or is he confident enough in Williams/Willis/Ihnen/Gabe to lock down the 2-3 spots that he doesnt think we need another wing? Are we doing a twin towers thing?
As I said before, Robbins is not eligible to play next year and is for sure NOT a slam dunk waiver by any means. With no FOR SURE starting center, Pitino still needs to get one! Markusson and Johnson are his TOP PRIORITIES over anything playing on the perimeter where he is pretty well stocked going into what could very well be a make or break season.

He knows he is coaching for his job and he knows he needs a big man to grab rebounds for the mcChuck group on the outside. You bet your ass he is still going for bigs!

As I said before, Robbins is not eligible to play next year and is for sure NOT a slam dunk waiver by any means. With no FOR SURE starting center, Pitino still needs to get one! Markusson and Johnson are his TOP PRIORITIES over anything playing on the perimeter where he is pretty well stocked going into what could very well be a make or break season.

He knows he is coaching for his job and he knows he needs a big man to grab rebounds for the mcChuck group on the outside. You bet your ass he is still going for bigs!
Still after non bigs also

I don't really understand this comment. Willis was pretty solid last year. If not for the ankle injury which caused him to miss a couple games and slowed him down for another 3-4, he was easily the 3rd best option we had offensively when healthy. Now, is that a good thing for a team aiming for the NCAA tournament? Maybe not, but some of you are acting like he is a completely disposable player.

And just because someone starts, doesn't mean they'll play the most minutes.
Agreed!

I'll rephrase that. I hope they get a player in the spring that is better than Willis and therefore, will play more minutes. It might even be Tre Williams. Willis might be adequate, but if you want to be good in a major conference, you have to do better than Willis at the 2G

Honest question, Do you think Brad Davison or Pritzl is better than Willis and why? Because those are the bar that is needed to be good in a major conference at the off guard spot

I think it's mainly because we don't know for sure if Robbins will be eligible to play next season. Even if he does, we need someone to back him up. Freeman isn't ready unless he has a huge offseason and Curry obviously has a hard time staying healthy.
It doesn't seem like a great fit having both Robbins and Markusson if that happened to be the case, unless the coaching staff is creative enough to turn that into an advantage. Not easy to do defensively. That could be special though if they did. I don't think Markusson would be on board with transferring into a backup role, although maybe he is with those other schools he's got listed. Not exactly easy schools to walk-in and start at.

I understand this is all dependent on the eligibility of Robbins.

Reading through backgrounds on some of these final guys we're after in the portal, seems like Johnson would be the most impactful. Doesn't always turn out that way but he can board, score, and shoot the 3 a little bit. Peterson might be a little bit of a project. Markusson sat out last year so hard to know if you expect big improvements, more of the same at LMU, or some rust.

Last edited:

It doesn't seem like a great fit having both Robbins and Markusson if that happened to be the case, unless the coaching staff is creative enough to turn that into an advantage. Not easy to do defensively. That could be special though if they did. I don't think Markusson would be on board with transferring into a backup role, although maybe he is with those other schools he's got listed. Not exactly easy schools to walk-in and start at.

Robbins may be willing to sit a year and have a year at MN's strength program? This will be very interesting to watch develop.

Robbins may be willing to sit a year and have a year at MN's strength program? This will be very interesting to watch develop.
I just don't know if the staff can really afford that at this point. Unless Coyle is that impressed with Robbins coming in and his potential which seems like a longer shot for a coach to just hold a job because of a kid who, though he has lots of potential, you don't expect to just come in and translate to great seasons automatically. I assume if it's a rough season and Pitino goes, Conroy is also on the out, which I would think would then be followed by Robbins but ya never know.

I'll rephrase that. I hope they get a player in the spring that is better than Willis and therefore, will play more minutes. It might even be Tre Williams. Willis might be adequate, but if you want to be good in a major conference, you have to do better than Willis at the 2G
I'm not going after you here, but I feel like I've seen people be much more critical of Willis than Kalscheur on here. Willis has the slight advantage on every stat except for PPG and steals, despite playing 3 mpg fewer. I'd definitely give Gabe the advantage on defense, but besides that I don't see much that sets them apart from each other. Both had an inconsistent season with a lot of room for growth.

I think one interesting thing to discuss is the financial ramifications of the corona on athletic departments, as well as on the NCAA, and how that impacts a potential decision on a waiver for all transfers this year. You're generating more interest and most likely more money by allowing the transfer rule and also potentially saving Universities at least some money.
Not exactly sure if there's a correlation between kids red-shirting and that costing the Universities more money but it seems like it would unless a roster budget is the same every year because you're not allowed to fill the RS roster spot.
I don't know but seems like there are more reasons to allow a waiver this year when you think about it financially.

I'm not going after you here, but I feel like I've seen people be much more critical of Willis than Kalscheur on here. Willis has the slight advantage on every stat except for PPG and steals, despite playing 3 mpg fewer. I'd definitely give Gabe the advantage on defense, but besides that I don't see much that sets them apart from each other. Both had an inconsistent season with a lot of room for growth.
You can go after me, I wont cry. Maybe I will.

Gabe just had a bad year. He will rebound. Willis is what he is. If Kalscheur repeats it again this upcoming year, then he sucks and I would take Willis, he sucks a little less

I'll take Prizl's shooting over Willis. And I'll take the cheap shot artist's defense over Willis.

Yeah but we can't just take parts. You get one guy who do you choose? My point is Willis isn't really any worse than Davison who was the starting wing for a conference champion.

I just don't know if the staff can really afford that at this point. Unless Coyle is that impressed with Robbins coming in and his potential which seems like a longer shot for a coach to just hold a job because of a kid who, though he has lots of potential, you don't expect to just come in and translate to great seasons automatically. I assume if it's a rough season and Pitino goes, Conroy is also on the out, which I would think would then be followed by Robbins but ya never know.

I agree the staff can't afford to wait, but the player may want it.

Yeah but we can't just take parts. You get one guy who do you choose? My point is Willis isn't really any worse than Davison who was the starting wing for a conference champion.
Sure you can. I would take both over Willis because of their strengths, and I would take their weaknesses too

You can go after me, I wont cry. Maybe I will.

Gabe just had a bad year. He will rebound. Willis is what he is. If Kalscheur repeats it again this upcoming year, then he sucks and I would take Willis, he sucks a little less
I'm just not sure how you can confidently say that after we've only seen one year of him. He showed some really solid shooting in multiple games, enough (for me) to suggest he has just as much offensive ability as Gabe. Either way, we'll be able to find out next year.

Sure you can. I would take both over Willis because of their strengths, and I would take their weaknesses too
Since we are stamping our decisions on this one, I’ll pass on both. Pritzl played very well for the latter portion of the season, but disappeared for 3.5 years following his redshirt season. I’m not even going to entertain Davison. Willis and Gabe’s weaknesses were shot selection and cold streaks, both of which can be fixed.

Man I disagree, but fair enough. I think Willis is easily on par with either of those two. I just think our roster is a lot better than many think

I bet the staff is hotter for Johnson than Markusson. Johnson can probably play the 4 and the 5 making a pairing with Robbins more than a likely possibility!

PG: Carr/Mashburn/Greenlee
SG: Kalesheur/Willis
SF: Ihnen/Williams
PF: Johnson/Ihnen/Omersa/Mitchell
C: Robbins/Curry/Freeman

That looks like a pretty deep lineup with quite a bit of flexibility. You throw Markusson in there and PF starts to look pretty thin.

Since we are stamping our decisions on this one, I’ll pass on both. Pritzl played very well for the latter portion of the season, but disappeared for 3.5 years following his redshirt season. I’m not even going to entertain Davison. Willis and Gabe’s weaknesses were shot selection and cold streaks, both of which can be fixed.

Off the eye test, Gabe gives solid perimeter D and a beautiful looking jumper. Willis is not quick, doesnt stay in front of his defender particularly well, and Willis has an ugly jumper that doesnt give me any hope it will ever be consistent.

I think one interesting thing to discuss is the financial ramifications of the corona on athletic departments, as well as on the NCAA, and how that impacts a potential decision on a waiver for all transfers this year. You're generating more interest and most likely more money by allowing the transfer rule and also potentially saving Universities at least some money.
Not exactly sure if there's a correlation between kids red-shirting and that costing the Universities more money but it seems like it would unless a roster budget is the same every year because you're not allowed to fill the RS roster spot.
I don't know but seems like there are more reasons to allow a waiver this year when you think about it financially.
Thank God you didn't reference science, lol.

I see that Nebraska is up to three transfers. The Mayor up to is up to his old ISU tricks.

I'm just not sure how you can confidently say that after we've only seen one year of him. He showed some really solid shooting in multiple games, enough (for me) to suggest he has just as much offensive ability as Gabe. Either way, we'll be able to find out next year.

That's not true. Willis has played three seasons of major conference college basketball. He's good enough to have a nice shooting game occasionally, but he doesn't impact the game if he's not knocking down 3-pointers (which he only does at a 35 percent rate). He scored 241 points on 225 shots. That was far and away his best season of college basketball after two blah seasons at Vandy. That's not good enough from a starter on a team that expects to win.

That's not true. Willis has played three seasons of major conference college basketball. He's good enough to have a nice shooting game occasionally, but he doesn't impact the game if he's not knocking down 3-pointers (which he only does at a 35 percent rate). He scored 241 points on 225 shots. That was far and away his best season of college basketball after two blah seasons at Vandy. That's not good enough from a starter on a team that expects to win.
You do have me there- I had it in my head that he only played a year at Vandy.

Trey Murphy going to Virginia, Villinova, Pitt
Drew Peterson going to SDSU, Louisville, Gophers

Wow! Rice must've torn through the lowly CUSA, which is a low-major conference, correct? To have that kind of talent on the team, playing a bunch of wannabe FBS football schools with little bball prowess, they must've won at least 25 games last season?

Trey Murphy going to Virginia, Villinova, Pitt
Drew Peterson going to SDSU, Louisville, Gophers

Wow! Rice must've torn through the lowly CUSA, which is a low-major conference, correct? To have that kind of talent on the team, playing a bunch of wannabe FBS football schools with little bball prowess, they must've won at least 25 games last season?
So poorly coached.

Top Bottom