This roster is not bad

I dont care how optimistic you are, I think we all agree the G situation TODAY is not good enough. That could clearly change with 2 open scholarships but as of this moment, the G position is mid major level at the best. So thus why I would say today, the roster is not good.
Staying ahead of the other D1 team in MN is a major measure and I believe with this roster we can achieve that next year.

Where did you see that reported?
Someone reported from a podcast, perhaps Doogie or maybe Burns, that Ihnen was recovering well and Fox was not. This was a few weeks ago. No certainly on reliability of information.

My fault that I didn't make my main point clear enough. All of those issues that I mentioned are reasons why it's going to be very hard to get someone who is a good bet to turn this thing around. There isn't the will to pay enough money for a sure thing, or even for a competent coach. A coach like that will have other options; sort of like guards that we desperately want and we're not even in on the top ones in the portal. Then you're back to hoping you get lucky. Nothing to do with liking a post--trying to point out it's not as simple as fire Ben.
Oh ok. Thanks for the response, your post makes much more sense now.

Who has reported Fox is not doing well?
Think Doogie had a quick blurb about it somewhere but think that is about it. Was something along the lines of Ihnen being close to be fully cleared at the time but Fox was still behind.

Think Doogie had a quick blurb about it somewhere but think that is about it. Was something along the lines of Ihnen being close to be fully cleared at the time but Fox was still behind.
That’s what I remember.

OMG! Fox is is behind Ihnen in progress but is expected to be ready and not miss practice. I already straightened this out once and you all are still paying attention to stupid negative posts from Howdy. For the last time. Ihnen is ready. Fox is doing WELL but behind Ihnen. Comes from an official team source. Just put Howdy on ignore.

OMG! Fox is is behind Ihnen in progress but is expected to be ready and not miss practice. I already straightened this out once and you all are still paying attention to stupid negative posts from Howdy. For the last time. Ihnen is ready. Fox is doing WELL but behind Ihnen. Comes from an official team source. Just put Howdy on ignore.
Howde is cynical. You’re obnoxious. Given a choice I take cynical.

Deep breaths....relax....all is well.... :)

Things have a way of resurfacing on the message board. I put very little stock in the note from Doogie was just clearing up where this speculation on Fox was coming from.

Same roster plus same coaching staff equals 3 B1G wins. Not enough wins to get into the NIT let alone the big dance.

Where did you see that reported?
Doogie on a podcast a couple weeks ago. Said Ihnen is doing well in recovery and Fox is not. Would be surprised if he's able to contribute next year. Not a done deal, but didn't sound good.

So we'll likely be relying on the football player who scored four points last year for 10-15 minutes/game. Should be fine. :rolleyes:

Same roster plus same coaching staff equals 3 B1G wins. Not enough wins to get into the NIT let alone the big dance.
Cool story....guess it is good that it isn't the same roster then :)

I think some of the negativity could be from the accumulation of bad news.

Evans bailing on the Gophers was a blow because of what he represented (hope) and what his departure said about the program, in terms of appeal and competitiveness in the new NIL landscape.
Henley too, to a (much) lesser extent.

Then you had Battle and Cooper supposedly "exploring their pro options" only to transfer to other colleges.

landing Mitchell was a brief respite from the negativity.

and then we have the current situation with the Gophs missing out on multiple portal targets.

I think the roster - as presently constituted - has some potential but also has some big question marks. But all of that is overshadowed by the aura of negativity hovering over the program.

the Gopher program desperately needs some positive news. I just don't know where it is going to come from.

I would disagree that injuries causing the Gopher to be uncompetitive will be the sole contributing factor. We still need a coach who can coach players to make them better.
Gard loses Wahl for four games and they go 0-4. I will argue that injuries matter.

Evans bailing on the Gophers was a blow because of what he represented (hope) and what his departure said about the program, in terms of appeal and competitiveness in the new NIL landscape.

Then you had Battle and Cooper supposedly "exploring their pro options" only to transfer to other colleges.

and then we have the current situation with the Gophs missing out on multiple portal targets.

I think the roster - as presently constituted - has some potential but also has some big question marks. But all of that is overshadowed by the aura of negativity hovering over the program.

the Gopher program desperately needs some positive news. I just don't know where it is going to come from.
Evans was bigger in terms of perception of the future. Henley was bigger in terms of on court performance this coming year.

Right now, I doubt that anything Ben does will be allowed to be "positive news" by half the posters here. It will either be the wrong player, from the wrong school, against the wrong competition or if it is a higher end guy- Ben will screw it up anyway.

I look forward to seeing the team that Ben ends up recruiting, on the floor this fall. I hope both players and coaches have a great offseason and the whole team ends up being greater than the sum of the parts. It can happen.

Evans was bigger in terms of perception of the future. Henley was bigger in terms of on court performance this coming year.

Right now, I doubt that anything Ben does will be allowed to be "positive news" by half the posters here. It will either be the wrong player, from the wrong school, against the wrong competition or if it is a higher end guy- Ben will screw it up anyway.

I look forward to seeing the team that Ben ends up recruiting, on the floor this fall. I hope both players and coaches have a great offseason and the whole team ends up being greater than the sum of the parts. It can happen.
This is the key point to keep in mind. What matters when evaluating a coach is in the W-L column and the NCAA tournament. Roster moves only matter in as much as the move the needle on that. Johnson could put together a roster that I think is absolutely awful, but if they play well enough, I won't care one bit about how I felt about roster construction in the summer. The reverse is also true, I wouldn't care how much I love his roster construction if the Gophers are spectators come March Madness.

We really do need positive news in the worst way. I'm sure he's going to land at least 1 more guard from the portal eventually. Just not sure what level of player.

Disagree, most posters want something positive. And frankly when you look at the late addition of Samuel last season who can blame fans for being skeptical. The issue with Gophers basketball is more than coaching and while I had hopes for better defensive teams and or coached teams you need talent. A third year is happening and Ben will get a chance and I’ll hope for improvement despite low expectations.

Top Bottom