This roster is not bad

Since when does Doogie matter? He's just another talking head trying to justify his existance. Guys like you, for some reason, worship him and his babble. And savor the moment when the UMN hires another HC who would become your saviour trying to do the same thing Ben is committed to do. Good luck.

Ben lives in the real world working his a$$ off to get the working parts dressed in M&G to keep your type happy. I'm sure Ben realizes more than anyone how tought this gig is. BGA, myself and a handful of others, appreciate his hard work and hope that he succeeds. If not, those of us can tip our hat and wish him well.
Worship him? Good lord. Give me a break. He seems like a good guy, but I often say his predictions are the kiss of death. Doogie doesn't matter in and of himself. The point is that Ben seems to be losing one of the few backers he did have in the local media.

And I bring Doogie up because he's one of the few local sports media that actually discuss Gopher basketball at all and certainly one of the few that discuss recruiting. The folks on KFAN, Mackie and Judd etc couldn't name more than 2 players on the team much less tell you who we're recruiting. The program is largely irrelevant, even locally. That is exactly the problem.

Ben is a good guy and it's not an "easy" gig. But the bar of expectations is also pretty much on the floor. If he'd won even 6-7 games in conference last year, most would be fine with the trajectory. Tripping over the bar and falling on his face is on him, not because we have some super irrational fan base that fails to appreciate his "hard work."

Last edited:

Since when does Doogie matter? He's just another talking head trying to justify his existance. Guys like you, for some reason, worship him and his babble. And savor the moment when the UMN hires another HC who would become your saviour trying to do the same thing Ben is committed to do. Good luck.

Ben lives in the real world working his a$$ off to get the working parts dressed in M&G to keep your type happy. I'm sure Ben realizes more than anyone how tought this gig is. BGA, myself and a handful of others, appreciate his hard work and hope that he succeeds. If not, those of us can tip our hat and wish him well.
I’ve never understood this sentiment. The man gets paid way more than his market value to do his job. When his time is up, he will be a multimillionaire. This is his career, not an act of service.

Don't believe I have ever said I am 100% positive about next season's results. Never.

Continue to lie.
Hold up....are you saying that IF certain things happen then the results for next season COULD be different?....that's crazy talk man....you need to come back to reality.

Hold up....are you saying that IF certain things happen then the results for next season COULD be different?....that's crazy talk man....you need to come back to reality.
Continue to outright lie.

It's not that he matters (he so doesnt) it's that Ben has had a relationship with Doogie for a while going back to being his "source" when he coached with Pitino. Doogie doesn't often turn on his pals...ask The Mayor's agent ;)

And I think you are mischarachterizing what he is saying. It's not that he wants Ben to fail, he just sees it as inevitable and doesn't feel the need to sugar coat it to make himself feel better.

It's not that he matters (he so doesnt) it's that Ben has had a relationship with Doogie for a while going back to being his "source" when he coached with Pitino. Doogie doesn't often turn on his pals...ask The Mayor's agent ;)

And I think you are mischarachterizing what he is saying. It's not that he wants Ben to fail, he just sees it as inevitable and doesn't feel the need to sugar coat it to make himself feel better.
I think Doogie will say what Doogie needs to say in order to sound relevant.

Probably...I have never liked the guy so I could care less what he says.

I think some of the negativity could be from the accumulation of bad news.

Evans bailing on the Gophers was a blow because of what he represented (hope) and what his departure said about the program, in terms of appeal and competitiveness in the new NIL landscape.
Henley too, to a (much) lesser extent.

Then you had Battle and Cooper supposedly "exploring their pro options" only to transfer to other colleges.

landing Mitchell was a brief respite from the negativity.

and then we have the current situation with the Gophs missing out on multiple portal targets.

I think the roster - as presently constituted - has some potential but also has some big question marks. But all of that is overshadowed by the aura of negativity hovering over the program.

the Gopher program desperately needs some positive news. I just don't know where it is going to come from.
This all started when we couldn't beat the pee wee squads last fall....

Gard loses Wahl for four games and they go 0-4. I will argue that injuries matter.
I'm not saying injuries don't matter to most teams. However, with the Gopher it doesn't matter because we don't have a coach who knows how to coach.

I'm not saying injuries don't matter to most teams. However, with the Gopher it doesn't matter because we don't have a coach who knows how to coach.
Could you coach Ohio St. football?

At this time the Minnesota Golden Gophers do NOT have a men's BB coach who can coach.
Oh stop it. He is young, he needs to get better at his craft. The fault is not his. The administration threw him to the wolves. Support him while he is here and hope he takes the steps needed. He is a very good human being who knows basketball but needs to get better at this level.

CBJ and the U need to develop a new fan base and major attractions to fill Williams with excitement.

Hey Jugular.....I know this is the basketball board but you seem to be missing a certain tag line... :)
Hey, I gotcha. I'm a fair guy, and I like interacting with most on here. We disagree on the bball board but I think we mostly agree on football stuff.

Top Bottom