Ten Gophers football players indefinately suspended

But at some point you need to ask whether it's the environment or your kid that's the problem.

Oh, AMEN. I am never one to make excuses for anyone. Everyone is responsible for what they do. My comment was a reply to a post that kids may transfer if they keep getting in trouble and my point was their family may also push them to do the same. If my kid does drugs it is his fault for doing him, but I'd still push for him to change his scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could the independent investigation have turned up more/new information than the police investigation did, forcing this new action? Is there no burden of proof in a title 9 investigation, as in a criminal case?

Could the independent investigation have turned up more/new information than the police investigation did, forcing this new action? Is there no burden of proof in a title 9 investigation, as in a criminal case?

There is definitely less of a burden of proof to suspend someone from football than there is to put them in jail

New avatar needed. Which do I choose?

A
2d24226348fabffcd4f8e7b2616fee89.jpg

B
7c9e8a49d6cf73f8d88133aae39a310a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

That's not true at all. We do know something. We know that whatever was done merited a suspension of 10 players in the minds of someone in either the football program, the athletics dept, or both

Sure, because the accused are never disciplined/assumed guilty before being cleared. Especially involving a public university.

Sure, because the accused are never disciplined/assumed guilty before being cleared. Especially involving a public university.

I didn't say they were guilty. I simply said you are being not truthful to say we know nothing.

We know that whatever the accusation is, someone made the decision to publicly suspend 10 players.

Whoops. Wrong thread. I was looking for the thread where we bash Leidner for being a leader who tries hard.

There is definitely less of a burden of proof to suspend someone from football than there is to put them in jail

Obviously. Curious what new info was unearthed, and how it was deemed valid. NCAA can't move forward with the North Carolina hoops business, but they can sure snap to here in Minnesota.

A source tells ESPN that the indefinite suspensions Minnesota imposed against 10 football players all stem from an alleged incident Sept. 2 at an off-campus apartment involving a female student. Four Gophers players were suspended earlier in the season while police investigated the incident, but all were reinstated when Hennepin County decided not to press charges. Those players and an additional six players were suspended today as a result of a Title IX complaint and a report filed by the university's Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action.

Adam Rittenberg, ESPN Staff Writer

Pioneer Press: Gophers football team suspends 10 players indefinitely

Ray Buford Sr., a 17-year law enforcement official in Michigan, told the Pioneer Press that the suspensions are tied to an early-morning incident on Sept. 2 where four players — Buford, Hardin, Dior Johnson and Tamarion Johnson — were “mentioned” in a Minneapolis Police report that included a woman’s allegations of sexual assault. The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office declined Oct. 3 to press charges, citing insufficient evidence.

Buford said the new suspension are the result an investigation by the University’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) and were relayed at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Buford said “some” of the players were recommended for expulsion from the university, and he added that will be met with appeals.

“The closer you were to the lady, the harsher the recommendation,” Buford said.

The five previously unmentioned players — Seth Green, Antoine Winfield Jr., Antonio Shenault, Kobe McCrary, Mark Williams — were tied to the case because they were in the apartment at the time of the alleged incident, Buford said.

“If you were anywhere near the apartment, they added your name to it,” Buford said.

Read more at: http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/13...-indefinitely/

Obviously. Curious what new info was unearthed, and how it was deemed valid. NCAA can't move forward with the North Carolina hoops business, but they can sure snap to here in Minnesota.
The new info is that the names of other players, who were in the apartment when the SEP 2 incident occurred, got added to the investigation.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

So it sounds like like the 5 new guys shouldn't be in too much trouble based off of Buford's words.

I didn't say they were guilty. I simply said you are being not truthful to say we know nothing.

We know that whatever the accusation is, someone made the decision to publicly suspend 10 players.

One things for sure, this is going to suck for the program no matter what the truth is.

In positions such as Claeys, perception is reality.

Usually that's the line folks who desperately want to substitute their own reality.

Like the folks who argued he was going to be fired half a dozen times earlier for various reasons this year... not reality.

So basically, all the original clowns plus 6 more of their teammate buddies continued to harass the woman who filed the restraining order. Nice.

It doesn't mean that at all. This could be the University's response to the original incident.

The NCAA is not involved in the current happenings in Minnesota

This is getting really out of control.

I made a post earlier, based upon the assumption that some new inappropriate behavior was the issue, and that is not the case.

So apparently the Henn. County Attorney, some other ambiguous body, and the U of M are not enough now this EAOO office is now going to go after these four guys? Four was not enough, now ten are gong to get sent a some gulag?

This looks to be complete BS. This all needs to start or stop with the County Attorney.

There almost better be new info. There wasn't enough evidence to file charges and the restraining orders were dropped in a settlement acceptable to the Woman here. If there is new evidence throw the book at them. If there isn't then stop punishing the kids over and over for the same thing.

There almost better be new info. There wasn't enough evidence to file charges and the restraining orders were dropped in a settlement acceptable to the Woman here. If there is new evidence throw the book at them. If there isn't then stop punishing the kids over and over for the same thing.

Wasn't one of the conditions that the players had to agree to was not to go after the woman in a counter suit? If you were truly an injured party, would you really have needed that bit of assurance?

How do you know he wasn't "stern" with the players? This may be nothing new, and may be part of further investigation from this fall. Wait for some information.

Regarding discipline on the field - that improved a ton as the year went on.

U suspends 10 Gophers football players - TwinCities.com

This may have already been posted, but Buford Sr. had some things to say

Ray Buford Sr., a 17-year law enforcement official in Michigan, told the Pioneer Press that the suspensions are tied to an early-morning incident on Sept. 2 where four players — Buford, Hardin, Dior Johnson and Tamarion Johnson — were “mentioned” in a Minneapolis police report that included a woman’s allegations of sexual assault. The Hennepin County attorney’s office declined on Oct. 3 to press charges, citing insufficient evidence.

Buford said the new suspensions are the result an investigation by the university’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) and were relayed at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Buford said “some” of the players were recommended for expulsion from the U, and he added that that will be met with appeals.

“The closer you were to the lady, the harsher the recommendation,” Buford said.

The restraining orders against the six players were lifted Nov. 2, three days before Minnesota’s next home game against Purdue on Nov. 5. The players and the woman reached a settlement, stating the players and the petitioner are to have no contact while she attends the University of Minnesota. In addition, the players agreed not to file civil lawsuits against the petitioner.

“I’m glad this is over,” the woman read from a statement after the settlement was reached. “This has never been about punishing anyone. I just wanted to feel safe. Because of the resolution we came to, now I can.”

The five previously unmentioned players — Seth Green, Antoine Winfield Jr., Antonio Shenault, Kobe McCrary and Mark Williams — were tied to the case because they were in the apartment at the time of the alleged incident, Buford said.

“If you were anywhere near the apartment, they added your name to it,” Ray Buford Sr. said...

Gophers head coach Tracy Claeys will be in San Diego for a news conference Wednesday for the Holiday Bowl against Washington State. Minnesota offensive coordinator Jay Johnson and defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel will run the Gophers’ third practice in preparation for the bowl game on Wednesday; they are scheduled to speak to the media afterward at the Gibson Nagurski Football Complex.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/13/gophers-football-team-suspends-10-players-indefinitely/

We don't know the facts here people. I'm not willing to throw Coaches and players under the bus before i actually know what happened.

Thank you - so many leaps being made.

This is getting really out of control.

I made a post earlier, based upon the assumption that some new inappropriate behavior was the issue, and that is not the case.

So apparently the Henn. County Attorney, some other ambiguous body, and the U of M are not enough now this EAOO office is now going to go after these four guys? Four was not enough, now ten are gong to get sent a some gulag?

This looks to be complete BS. This all needs to start or stop with the County Attorney.

sticker,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.jpg

Title IX requires a lower burden of proof. Insufficient evidence to prove guilt in a court of law may be more than enough evidence in a Title IX proceeding.

If there was no new evidence then this should have been squashed by the powers that be.

If this is going down as it looks like it is, then it will go a long way to explaining why Minnesota keeps losing in the big time sports. These guys were not charged, but were put into hell and that cost us at least one game, and now they just got thrown the wolves by some Orweliian body, based upon no legal evidence. Ten players charge named? This is the pinnacle of political correctness from what I can see at this point.

The damage has been done, and someone with power better fix it now. How many times can these guys be charged? 4, 5 6 times?

So it sounds like like the 5 new guys shouldn't be in too much trouble based off of Buford's words.

Depends if they were "in the apartment" or "anywhere near the apartment".

Buford says two different things.

Top Bottom