Ten Gophers football players indefinately suspended

U of M Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA)

Sexual harassment and/or sexual violence investigation relating to student conduct

Title IX is a federal law that prohibits sex discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual violence. University policies, including the Student Conduct Code, also prohibit sexual harassment and sexual violence, including sexual assault, stalking, and relationship violence.

The Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) and the Office for Student Conduct and Academic Integrity (OSCAI) are responsible for addressing student conduct that may violate Title IX. EOAA’s Director, Kimberly Hewitt, is the University’s Title IX Coordinator.

The University’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) thoroughly investigates, as a neutral party, reports of sexual harassment and sexual violence, including sexual assault, stalking, and relationship violence.

Typical steps in a formal investigation include:

- talking with the person raising the concerns and/or other affected persons;
- talking with individuals with information relevant to the situation;
- informing responsible administrators about the concerns and investigation;
- talking with the accused person; and
- collecting and reviewing documents or other forms of information from the person raising the concerns, witnesses, Human Resources, administrators, or other individuals with relevant information.

At the conclusion of a formal investigation, EOAA will prepare a summary and analysis of the investigation and make a conclusion as to whether the Student Conduct Code and University policies against sexual harassment and sexual violence have been violated. EOAA will forward the report to OSCAI. Both the reporting student and the accused student may request a copy of the EOAA report from OSCAI.

As part of the University’s informal resolution process, OSCAI will inform both the reporting party and the accused student about: (1) the outcome of the EOAA investigation; and (2) a proposed resolution. If both parties agree to the outcome and proposed resolution, the University’s investigative process generally is concluded.

If the reporting party or the accused student disagrees with EOAA’s investigative outcome and OSCAI’s proposed resolution they may initiate the University’s formal resolution process. In this formal process, the parties are afforded a hearing before a panel drawn from the Campus Committee on Student Behavior.

For more information, please click on the links: https://diversity.umn.edu/eoaa/sites/diversity.umn.edu.eoaa/files/SKMBT_60015040912480.pdf or https://diversity.umn.edu/eoaa/sites/diversity.umn.edu.eoaa/files/Summary.pdf and consult with OSCAI.

There almost better be new info. There wasn't enough evidence to file charges and the restraining orders were dropped in a settlement acceptable to the Woman here. If there is new evidence throw the book at them. If there isn't then stop punishing the kids over and over for the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of the main points of the Star Tribune article on campus assaults that was referred to earlier in this thread is that school investigations are separate from legal ones. Often, there is little to no due process. Not that that's the case here, but the fact that the County Attorney's office didn't press charges doesn't matter much here.

If there was no new evidence then this should have been squashed by the powers that be.

If this is going down as it looks like it is, then it will go a long way to explaining why Minnesota keeps losing in the big time sports. These guys were not charged, but were put into hell and that cost us at least one game, and now they just got thrown the wolves by some Orweliian body, based upon no legal evidence. Ten players charge named? This is the pinnacle of political correctness from what I can see at this point.

The damage has been done, and someone with power better fix it now. How many times can these guys be charged? 4, 5 6 times?

No doubt about it. The next thing that we will do is to suspend the entire team and have them prove their innocence to become eligible.

If there was no new evidence then this should have been squashed by the powers that be.

If this is going down as it looks like it is, then it will go a long way to explaining why Minnesota keeps losing in the big time sports. These guys were not charged, but were put into hell and that cost us at least one game, and now they just got thrown the wolves by some Orweliian body, based upon no legal evidence. Ten players charge named? This is the pinnacle of political correctness from what I can see at this point.

The damage has been done, and someone with power better fix it now. How many times can these guys be charged? 4, 5 6 times?
You don't know that. Separate investigations uncover new evidence all the time.

One of the main points of the Star Tribune article on campus assaults that was referred to earlier in this thread is that school investigations are separate from legal ones. Often, there is little to no due process. Not that that's the case here, but the fact that the County Attorney's office didn't press charges doesn't matter much here.

Agreed. Proof beyond a reasonable doubt is not required for student discipline cases handled by the EOAA, and double jeopardy is not a defense.

That's not true at all. We do know something. We know that whatever was done merited a suspension of 10 players in the minds of someone in either the football program, the athletics dept, or both

Actually, we don't know that.

In fact, neither the Football Program or the Athletics Department suspended these ten players today. The suspension comes from the University's EOAA.

I can tell you with 100% certainty the football program was stunned with the news late this afternoon.

The burden of proof in these title IX cases is very low. It's basically 'more likely than not' vs. 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. And it's very controversial. Schools across the country are getting sued by guys that basically have their lives ruined based on he said she said by non-legal professionals in a hearing where they are denied legal representation or any semblance of due process. Based on the criminal investigation outcome, and the seemingly assertive manner the restraining order was dimissed, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the University gets sued by one or more of the players here. Given the potential high profile nature this could end up being very bad for the University (outside the athletic department). The problem is they've been put in a no win situation by the Department of Education.

I heard early on in the year that the suspensions were based off of a sorry for the lack of better phrase, multi member sexual assault. Meaning they all were partaking at the same time. I'd bet my life these suspensions are based off that event.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A Title IX complaint surrounding this incident almost assuredly involves an allegation that these guys harassed the alleged victim.

With an alleged sexual assault, any sort of discussion or comment on the victim could be perceived as harassment. For example, if one of these guys who was at the apartment told people "that didn't happen, she's crazy", that could be harassment. I'm not saying that is what happened, I'm just commenting that sexual assault is such a unique crime. It's gotten so political that hard to think about in a common-sense sort of way.

That said, if these guys were legitimately harassing this girl, that's so dumb that I do think it will tarnish Claeys. If your team is that dumb, whether it's fair or not, the coach is going to be blamed (by some reasonable people).

Depends if they were "in the apartment" or "anywhere near the apartment".

Buford says two different things.

Yes. “If you were anywhere near the apartment, they added your name to it,” Ray Buford Sr. said

And: The closer you were to the lady, the harsher the recommendation,” Buford said

Actually, we don't know that.

In fact, neither the Football Program or the Athletics Department suspended these ten players today. The suspension comes from the University's EOAA.

I can tell you with 100% certainty the football program was stunned with the news late this afternoon.

That group does not have authority to suspend players from a team?

May have come from someone outside of athletics, but that group gives recommendations...their recommendations would be chosen or not chosen. EOAA only conducts the investigations and reports their findings.

I heard early on in the year that the suspensions were based off of a sorry for the lack of better phrase, multi member sexual assault. Meaning they all were partaking at the same time. I'd bet my life these suspensions are based off that event.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Where have you been? Have you read the thread? Media has confirmed it's all from the same event.

Basically this board is making an independent recommendation to the Leadership at the U of M of what to do with these players.

May have come from someone outside of athletics, but that group gives recommendations...their recommendations would be chosen or not chosen. EOAA only conducts the investigations and reports their findings.

Yes, the OSCAI likely made the recommendations for expulsion for some, which will obviously be appealed. I'm sure the suspensions are coming from the University while they wait on the appeals, etc.

What a mess.

This is the most trumped up, steaming pile of crap ever.

This PC approach does explain why Minnesota does not win.

Austin Texas is the center of the world for Liberal PC activism, and even t there this Stalinist BS would have been stopped dead in its tracks. In Austin TX this would have been over by now.

Coyle probably just **** himself, as this was not what he was promised.

The burden of proof in these title IX cases is very low. It's basically 'more likely than not' vs. 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. And it's very controversial. Schools across the country are getting sued by guys that basically have their lives ruined based on he said she said by non-legal professionals in a hearing where they are denied legal representation or any semblance of due process. Based on the criminal investigation outcome, and the seemingly assertive manner the restraining order was dimissed, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the University gets sued by one or more of the players here. Given the potential high profile nature this could end up being very bad for the University (outside the athletic department). The problem is they've been put in a no win situation by the Department of Education.

This is actually a real problem.

It has much larger ramifications than anything Gopher football related. The Universities are in impossible situations. Look at this particular situation, the players were suspended from the football team. The University complied with the criminal investigation.

The universities are in impossible situations. To adhere to the incredibly low burden of Title IX cases they are left wide-open to potential liability from the accused. If there is a sexual assault, the university has to essentially treat the accused as presumptively guilty to avoid potential Title IX issues. However, if they treat the accused that way, they are wide open to litigation from the accused. They are in an impossible situation.

When I was in law school, I worked for this group that essentially offered pro-bono legal work for students. It was usually things like landlord/tenant issues, drinking tickets, etc. However, we did get some cases with more bite. Those cases were handled by the actual attorneys and the students just assisted the attorney (research, client intake, etc.). In that six month span, there were 3 different guys who came to the clinic for assistance in situations where the school had to ruin these guys' lives even though charges were dismissed (never brought) for an alleged sexual assault. We obviously pointing these students in the direction of "real lawyers". But this issue is very real.

Now MC has every right to fire TC because of lack of institutional control. Players not showing any respect for teammates or coaches can stem from the HC not instilling that aspect of being part of a team. Simply unbelievable. Just think Winfield made the all Freshmen team. What's his future? Maybe we can just forfeit the game and save some money. Certainly was a kick in the stomach or other places.

Pioneer Press: Gophers football team suspends 10 players indefinitely

Ray Buford Sr., a 17-year law enforcement official in Michigan, told the Pioneer Press that the suspensions are tied to an early-morning incident on Sept. 2 where four players — Buford, Hardin, Dior Johnson and Tamarion Johnson — were “mentioned” in a Minneapolis Police report that included a woman’s allegations of sexual assault. The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office declined Oct. 3 to press charges, citing insufficient evidence.

Buford said the new suspension are the result an investigation by the University’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) and were relayed at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Buford said “some” of the players were recommended for expulsion from the university, and he added that will be met with appeals.

“The closer you were to the lady, the harsher the recommendation,” Buford said.

The five previously unmentioned players — Seth Green, Antoine Winfield Jr., Antonio Shenault, Kobe McCrary, Mark Williams — were tied to the case because they were in the apartment at the time of the alleged incident, Buford said.

“If you were anywhere near the apartment, they added your name to it,” Buford said.

Read more at: http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/13...-indefinitely/

So....in other words, these suspensions should be lifted soon. When you have Hennepin Cty
not recommending charges and having them closing the file on it, this smells like some uppitty
member of the EOAA dept hates men and wants to make an example out of these players.
Maybe they were able to pull up new evidence that real professionals couldn't (i'm not banking on it)
but i'm seeing this as an example rather than something real.
My knee jerk is calming down after some ibuprofen..... and beer.
some beer

Wouldn't some lack of institutional control be constantly having off-field issues?

No, that would not be enough info.

Not trying to be dick, this is part of my profession.

Control can be performed in two manners: 1) preventative and 2) detective or before and after. Performing either is an element of controlling. We know from probability that before is far more effective. That does not dismiss the need for controls after the fact. This one is painful. Methinks that shows maturity, leadership discipline, and integrity by coaches. They didn't stoop to sweeping under rug, they addressed the issue(s).

It is far more likely that "Lack of institutional control" would be never having issues. Then, some outside source finds a thread and pulls and something like Sandusky or North Carolina Basketball unravels.

We know issues they happen. We know they happen in every college football program. Even Army and Navy.

Having them announced by the institution without outside interference is a clear sign that control is being performed transparently. Suspensions are a clear sign of accountability.

They only give recommendations but those recommendations essentially hold a university hostage. It's a terrible system.

Note - I'm not arguing that these guys are innocent. They could be guilty and if so, they should be kicked off the team. I am just saying the process is absolute nonsense.

Now MC has every right to fire TC because of lack of institutional control. Players not showing any respect for teammates or coaches can stem from the HC not instilling that aspect of being part of a team. Simply unbelievable. Just think Winfield made the all Freshmen team. What's his future? Maybe we can just forfeit the game and save some money. Certainly was a kick in the stomach or other places.

It is looking like nothing different has happened since the original incident. If he wasn't fired then, not sure how you could here.

**** for brains, did you read the thread and realize it relates back to the early season incident? That the prosecuting attorney declined to press charges on? Troll on.

So....in other words, these suspensions should be lifted soon. When you have Hennepin Cty
not recommending charges and having them closing the file on it, this smells like some uppitty
member of the EOAA dept hates men and wants to make an example out of these players.
Maybe they were able to pull up new evidence that real professionals couldn't (i'm not banking on it)
but i'm seeing this as an example rather than something real.
My knee jerk is calming down after some ibuprofen..... and beer.
some beer

Almost every department like this's definition of harassment is how they "victim feels".

For example, if one of the guy's at the apartment told someone "that chick is crazy, she is a liar". - - - Most of these Title IX offices absolutely consider that harassment (whether it is true or not doesn't matter).

You have to keep in mind, these offices have a vested interest to have a definition of "harassment" has to be much broader than how a criminal or even a school investigation would define racism. If harassment was defined by the criminal code or the school's conduct code, these offices would not exist (at least in terms of sexual assault).

I just can't believe this. Sad sad situation. Should be an interesting 2 weeks. Wonder how this will affect how the coaches recruit, if at all? Wonder how long until there is a resolution? How long the appeal takes?

Stupid. There is nothing new here.

Top Bottom