Tanner Morgan Announces Return For 2022

My feeling on Tanner Morgan is that he's somewhere in the 80th-90th percentile of college quarterbacks. You can argue if he should be considered closer to 90 or 80 but I think most would put him in that range. I'll take a guarantee of that along with the experience over whatever is behind door #2, I would like to see someone else get snaps so our next QB isn't totally raw, but that doesn't always work out.

The results on the field clearly say Tanner Morgan is a winner, pure and simple. No other Gopher QB has presided over as many wins. Since he stepped in as starter for Annexstad, the win-loss profile of the team changed dramatically for the better. Yes, there were/are other factors in play, but we all know the QB gets more than his share of both blame and credit for wins and losses.

No coach is going to put that record of success at risk just just for the sake of "trying something else".

My real concern for him coming back is for his legacy, he has a chance to go out on top as part of one season that was arguably the best in 50 years and finish his last season with a win against Wisconsin and a bowl appearance. If we lose our entire offensive line next year and next men up aren't close, he could be captaining the ship when it goes down. I'd rather see a new quarterback struggle with a new offensive line and carry that experience forward, than watch Tanner struggle with no protection or time and leave on a sour 5-7 type season.

If by some magic he can talk OL guys into staying, great. If not, ugh....

I am much more optimistic about what next year's team looks like. Definitely not "ugh". It will be good.

Lot of assumptions being made about the O-Line next year. There will be new faces but they aren't going to be totally raw or inexperienced. Shaw for example has multiple years as a starter under his belt, just not for us. Depending on who comes back there is going to be experience there as well as guys who have been learning and growing over the past few years which is what you want at O-Line.

We would all be well served to wait and see just who is and is not coming back before making too many assumptions about next year's O-Line.

There is a decent chance we will get a bit of a sneak peak at our 2022 offensive line in the bowl game.
Exactly people just assume the line will be garbage next year. Funny how the back up QBs are assumed to be better than Morgan, but the back up olinemen are assumed to be worse than the starters.

I'm just not sure that Shaw and Boe are realistically Big Ten starting level guys for those two remaining interior positions. The other interior guys we have, are unknown. Cooper, Rusch's brother.

I think we need to pick up at least one portal guy. Don't think we can expect both JMS and Andries to come back.
Hasn’t Boe made a couple starts and held his own?

Hasn’t Boe made a couple starts and held his own?
I believe he played last year because of covid. Not sure how heavily I would weight that.

But what actually matters: what the coaches think! :)

I believe he played last year because of covid. Not sure how heavily I would weight that.

But what actually matters: what the coaches think! :)
According to gophersports.com Boe started against Nebraska and played in 8 of our 12 games this season. Seems like someone that would be a strong candidate to become a future starter. Given how well Fleck has done with transfers, I wouldn't be real quick to write off Shaw either. It looked like that move was always about 2022 since we didn't really need him in 2021.

Exactly people just assume the line will be garbage next year. Funny how the back up QBs are assumed to be better than Morgan, but the back up olinemen are assumed to be worse than the starters.
I think it's fairly normal to see average/below average and expect there might be something better and to also see above average/greatness and expect worse looms on the other side. Or is your experience different?

FWIW- Fleck said on PA this morning that he told Tanner he would have to compete for the starting role next year.
They should announce someone else as the starter. Then Tanner would be the backup and everyone knows the backup is better. Then we can make the switch to Tanner and everyone's happy. Tanner fans are happy and the "backup is better" crowd is happy.

I think it's fairly normal to see average/below average and expect there might be something better and to also see above average/greatness and expect worse looms on the other side. Or is your experience different?

Morgan is not average or below average if the metric is winning percentage, especially if the context is winning percentage for Gopher QBs. I believe his passing stats are above average for Gopher QBs as well.

I don't know where he ranks in other metrics, though. Spirals, height, arm strength, etc. The important stuff.

Morgan is not average or below average if the metric is winning percentage, especially if the context is winning percentage for Gopher QBs. I believe his passing stats are above average for Gopher QBs as well.

I don't know where he ranks in other metrics, though. Spirals, height, arm strength, etc. The important stuff.
If the metric is how he played leading up to the Iowa game, it was average to below average. Especially for a 5th year senior. Raise your expectations, my man.

And any comparisons to all past Gopher QBs should disqualify the argument immediately.

I'm guessing that is the case every year.

PJ has outright said so.

He has. I believe Fleck has said that he tells his starters that it's his (Fleck's) job to find a player who can replace them each season.

Because Morgan has remained the starter since taking over, some people assume no one else has been given a chance to compete with him. For some reason, they never consider the possibility that Tanner has held the job by beating out the competition. I really have no idea why they make that assumption.

FWIW- Fleck said on PA this morning that he told Tanner he would have to compete for the starting role next year.
I'm pretty sure Fleck knows exactly what to say publicly. Behind the scenes is a very different story.

If the metric is how he played leading up to the Iowa game, it was average to below average. Especially for a 5th year senior. Raise your expectations, my man.

And any comparisons to all past Gopher QBs should disqualify the argument immediately.

I think you have some grave misconceptions in that head of yours, my man.

just for fun:
career stats:

Leidner 580 of 1029 for 7,287 yds. 56.4%. 36 TD. 32 INT. rushing 446 for 1,495, 33 TD

Morgan 546 of 890 for 7,963 yds. 61.3%. 56 TD, 26 INT. rushing 180 for (-35). 4TD

Total offense: Leidner 1,475 plays, 8,782 yds, 5.95 yds/play 69 TD
Total offense: Morgan 1,070 plays, 7,928 yds 7.4 yds/play 60 TD

point being - a QB who can run, and is allowed to run, adds another dimension to the offense.

I'm pretty sure Fleck knows exactly what to say publicly. Behind the scenes is a very different story.

Oh, I didn't know you lived in his office. Can you tell us more about the staff meetings? Also, how do you hide your hard-on for "any QB not named Tanner" when you're in front of PJ?

It would have been kind of fun for Morgan to go to Lincoln and Martinez to come here for a season.

He has. I believe Fleck has said that he tells his starters that it's his (Fleck's) job to find a player who can replace them each season.

Because Morgan has remained the starter since taking over, some people assume no one else has been given a chance to compete with him. For some reason, they never consider the possibility that Tanner has held the job by beating out the competition. I really have no idea why they make that assumption.
You are assuming yourself. "Fleck says" is not proof of anything other than the messaging he wants presented.

Oh, I didn't know you lived in his office. Can you tell us more about the staff meetings? Also, how do you hide your hard-on for "any QB not named Tanner" when you're in front of PJ?
I have my sources. Geez, I correctly called Tanner returning, Clark going to the portal, and Annexstad going to the portal. Maybe I have a little insight here, huh?

just for fun:
career stats:

Leidner 580 of 1029 for 7,287 yds. 56.4%. 36 TD. 32 INT. rushing 446 for 1,495, 33 TD

Morgan 546 of 890 for 7,963 yds. 61.3%. 56 TD, 26 INT. rushing 180 for (-35). 4TD

Total offense: Leidner 1,475 plays, 8,782 yds, 5.95 yds/play 69 TD
Total offense: Morgan 1,070 plays, 7,928 yds 7.4 yds/play 60 TD

point being - a QB who can run, and is allowed to run, adds another dimension to the offense.

A bit disingenuous to not mention the TD/INT ratio further if you're gonna talk up the running stats, IMO.

You are assuming yourself. "Fleck says" is not proof of anything other than the messaging he wants presented.

Actually, I'm simply assuming that you don't know any more than anyone else here about what goes on in Fleck's program.

Regardless of how good the starter is, I expect the backup to be about equal at best, and possibly better down the road if we are fortunate.

I have my sources. Geez, I correctly called Tanner returning, Clark going to the portal, and Annexstad going to the portal. Maybe I have a little insight here, huh?

I said the same thing on here last week and I don't have any sources. It wasn't hard to dissect.

You have to think Clark and Annexstad both hit the portal soon with this announcement. If that happens then we would still be left with Kramer, Athan, and Knuth at quarterback. Young but hopefully talented.
Yep... someone is leaving.

Top Bottom