Tanner Morgan Announces Return For 2022

He has. I believe Fleck has said that he tells his starters that it's his (Fleck's) job to find a player who can replace them each season.

Because Morgan has remained the starter since taking over, some people assume no one else has been given a chance to compete with him. For some reason, they never consider the possibility that Tanner has held the job by beating out the competition. I really have no idea why they make that assumption.
I think part of the reason that people have this perspective is that when watching some of the terrible performances from Tanner this year, it was hard to fathom that we didn't have anyone on the roster that could come in and do a better job. It is possible to have that opinion while also thinking that Tanner had some games this year he played well.

I think that for most fans, when looking at this season by itself, it is normal to think the QB play left a little bit to be desired for the most part.

You have to think Clark and Annexstad both hit the portal soon with this announcement. If that happens then we would still be left with Kramer, Athan, and Knuth at quarterback. Young but hopefully talented.
You called it.

just for fun:
career stats:

Leidner 580 of 1029 for 7,287 yds. 56.4%. 36 TD. 32 INT. rushing 446 for 1,495, 33 TD

Morgan 546 of 890 for 7,963 yds. 61.3%. 56 TD, 26 INT. rushing 180 for (-35). 4TD

Total offense: Leidner 1,475 plays, 8,782 yds, 5.95 yds/play 69 TD
Total offense: Morgan 1,070 plays, 7,928 yds 7.4 yds/play 60 TD

point being - a QB who can run, and is allowed to run, adds another dimension to the offense.
Interesting perspective. At the same time, I'd be curious on RB productivity those same years. Do the RBs during the Morgan years make up and surpass the Leidner+RB productivity? If so, that might be an argument to have a less mobile runner but is an absolute upgrade at passer.

I think part of the reason that people have this perspective is that when watching some of the terrible performances from Tanner this year, it was hard to fathom that we didn't have anyone on the roster that could come in and do a better job. It is possible to have that opinion while also thinking that Tanner had some games this year he played well.

I think that for most fans, when looking at this season by itself, it is normal to think the QB play left a little bit to be desired for the most part.

"A little bit to be desired"... As compared to what?

As compared to the Ohio State QB? Yes!

As compared to the Iowa QBs, or Graham Mertz, not so much. Pretty comparable to Tanner Morgan.

I'm thinking Fleck has a pretty good idea which QB on his roster gives his team the best chance to win the game. I'm also thinking he's been right most of the time; check out Morgan's won-lost record. But, hey; you guys might be right, and Fleck is a fool. Possible!

Does anyone really think TM is returning to "compete" for his job?

Fleck's comments are just more coach speak.

Morgan is the Day 1 starter barring injury.

We know all of this... how, exactly?

As compared to the Iowa QBs, or Graham Mertz, not so much. Pretty comparable to Tanner Morgan.

I'm thinking Fleck has a pretty good idea which QB on his roster gives his team the best chance to win the game. I'm also thinking he's been right most of the time; check out Morgan's won-lost record. But, hey; you guys might be right, and Fleck is a fool. Possible!
I'll be honest and say that when I watched the IL game, I would have liked to see a little more out of the QB. Same could be said for the BG game and half the NE game. I suppose I could be the only one.

Annexstad is officially in the portal. multiple threads popping up.

at least they'll be able to have more space for social distancing in the QB room.

I'll be honest and say that when I watched the IL game, I would have liked to see a little more out of the QB. Same could be said for the BG game and half the NE game. I suppose I could be the only one.

I think you missed my point.

I said the same thing on here last week and I don't have any sources. It wasn't hard to dissect.
I actually said it would happen. You said it would be expected. Slight difference but only one of us put their neck on the line.

You're really going out on a limb?

The man returning to start his 5th straight season for the Gophers will be the Day 1 starter. Profound.

No, the rest of us really liked it. We thought it was perfect QB play and we only think Tanner Morgan should be the starter because we have low expectations. We don't have a winner's mentality.

The man returning to start his 5th straight season for the Gophers will be the Day 1 starter. Profound.
Exactly. But many a poster on here believes Fleck's statement regarding an open competition. Do you have access to their meeting rooms too? Because according to some on here, that's the only way you could ever come to that conclusion.

I was answering the guy that believed Fleck was open to a quarterback battle next spring.

There's no quarterback battle happening.

I see I just echoed the previous poster.

Right.

Iowa and Wisconsin are our two main rivals....and consistently at the top of the Big Ten West rankings. Would you trade Morgan for Mertz or Petras? If the answer is yes.....you are an idiot. If the answer is no.....then why the hell are you complaining?

Exactly. But many a poster on here believes Fleck's statement regarding an open competition. Do you have access to their meeting rooms too? Because according to some on here, that's the only way you could ever come to that conclusion.

But you know otherwise!?

Look....if a younger guy stands out and looks the part.....he'll play. If the practice results are inconclusive, Morgan will hold onto the job. He's above average when it comes to Big Ten QBs. Don't understand the hate here. Guy just played a really solid game against our most hated rivals.....winning the Axe for the second time as a starter.

If Annexstad goes, too, I wonder what Kramer does? Athan will probably step in as no. 2; Knuth might be no. 3. Our offense is built to give the QB chances to run. Tanner doesn’t run much, but the chances are often there. Tanner just isn’t a threatening (or comfortable) runner. We will see Fleck’s RPO include the QB run option a little more once the Athan/Knuth era begins
Grandpa Nostradamus?

According to gophersports.com Boe started against Nebraska and played in 8 of our 12 games this season. Seems like someone that would be a strong candidate to become a future starter. Given how well Fleck has done with transfers, I wouldn't be real quick to write off Shaw either. It looked like that move was always about 2022 since we didn't really need him in 2021.
Fair point but I think Boe was often doing those "extra OL" roles. Not that those are worth nothing, but I'm not sure he got a ton of experience that would lead him to take over for JMS at near the same level.

Shaw I don't think got much more than garbage time.

Both will compete, we will see what the coaches say.

If Annexstad goes, too, I wonder what Kramer does? Athan will probably step in as no. 2; Knuth might be no. 3. Our offense is built to give the QB chances to run. Tanner doesn’t run much, but the chances are often there. Tanner just isn’t a threatening (or comfortable) runner. We will see Fleck’s RPO include the QB run option a little more once the Athan/Knuth era begins.
How well does Kramer throw the ball?

Is his package just a continuation of the Green Line?

But you know otherwise!?

Look....if a younger guy stands out and looks the part.....he'll play. If the practice results are inconclusive, Morgan will hold onto the job. He's above average when it comes to Big Ten QBs. Don't understand the hate here. Guy just played a really solid game against our most hated rivals.....winning the Axe for the second time as a starter.
There is zero hate for anyone on this end. Where are you getting that from? There's a lot of people who are more than willing to see what is behind door #2 in case the ceiling is higher with that player. It worked for Oklahoma earlier this year. If Tanner was playing like he did in 2019 there wouldn't be a peep.

1638218723869.png
We finished ahead of the two West teams with better QB completion % and they have offensive minded HC's

Well, I think there is zero chance that Tanner Morgan isn't the week 1 starter next year.

Do I think that means that there isn't an open competition? I guess it kind of does. I think even if Athan looks incredible he would have to drastically outplay Tanner Morgan in practice for there to even be whispers of sharing time. But that makes sense though right? Experience matters. The staff thinks they know what they're getting out of Morgan.

So the question isn't "who is practicing better", the question is "who does the staff think gives you the best chance to win the most games"? Those aren't always the same answer.

But just keep in mind, your idea that Fleck isn't playing the best players is just as much of a guess as the people who adamantly say that he is playing the best players. You're implying access to meeting rooms just as much as they are.

There is zero hate for anyone on this end. Where are you getting that from? There's a lot of people who are more than willing to see what is behind door #2 in case the ceiling is higher with that player. It worked for Oklahoma earlier this year. If Tanner was playing like he did in 2019 there wouldn't be a peep.
There are people who see behind door #2 every day. Those people's livelihoods are on the line based on making the right decision about which door is better.

You're assuming the staff has no reason to keep playing Morgan other than fear of the unknown.

Ahhhh your negativity senses must have going off telling you it is ok to come back to the board....you have been really quiet since the Wisconsin game, you would think as a fan you would have been on here celebrating with everyone else...guess it is hard to rip Fleck for the Wisconsin game though, so you had to wait for another reason to come back and start bashing again.

And you are right, Morgan is almost certainly the day 1 starter baring injury. The coaches would need to see something pretty amazing from a backup to think it was worth pulling the guy who has led the team to 7 and 6 win Big Ten seasons in the last two full seasons.

Top Bottom