Tanner Morgan Announces Return For 2022

Oh, I didn't know you lived in his office. Can you tell us more about the staff meetings? Also, how do you hide your hard-on for "any QB not named Tanner" when you're in front of PJ?
Could you point us to a coach who says to the media "I don't believe much in open competition in practice. I just play guys I think give us a small chance to win."

There must be a lot of them if you think PJ's public comments are unique or unusually sincere.

Could you point us to a coach who says to the media "I don't believe much in open competition in practice. I just play guys I think give us a small chance to win."

There must be a lot of them if you think PJ's public comments are unique or unusually sincere.

Not the point. I don't believe that poster has any inside info - just a bone to pick.

I'll say for the last time. I did not say I KNOW the other QBs are better. I did not say I knew better than the coaches. How are you not comprehending that? You both are thinking I've said something I haven't said and you're too stubborn to see it.

You guys are both making assumptions based on what you think you know. Based on your comments, it's glaringly obvious you are out of touch with todays college football. I'm not sure what your last experience was with College football (assuming more than just a casual fan) but its clearly been a hot minute.

Anyway, cheers.

We are out of touch because we think the Gophers coaches are playing the best players? Think about that for a second....and then put down the bottle. You're clearly a confused person with an inflated sense of football knowledge. I'll trust the coaches over a poster who thinks they're the only one who watches college football.

The problem is people look at the top end QBs and assume every team has that guy sitting on their bench if only the stupid coaches would get out of the way and let the backup play dang it.

They don't bother to look at all the teams getting sub par QB play and think that maybe the backup might look more like that guy than the superstar if given the shot.

I could understand the Morgan hate a little more if we lost a ton of games this year. Didn't realize 8-4 was bad enough to think the QB has to go. Especially when you factor in the revolving door we had this year at RB and WR.
There's a middle ground opinion that has validity. Most everyone can agree on Monday, starting game prep for Saturday's Illinois/Purdue etc Championship Season that the guy who has started as many games as Drew Breeze gives you the best chance to win this week. Not much argument.

But if midway third quarter you are trailing, offense is lethargic, QB looks a little frazzled, and he's getting sacked, some coaches would bring in the backup for a few plays or a couple of series just to see if a change would right the ship. And maybe a break would help the starter regain his focus.

After all, at 4:17 pm on a random Saturday it's not about who has given us the best chance to win the last 47 games or even the next four. It's only about winning THE IOWA CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON.

Nailed it.

It is yet another case of casual fan disease: the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team, and the coach is clueless for not seeing it.

Now we lost Zach Annexstad and Jacob Clark. Oh... my... God!

They are two great QBs. We know they're great because... um... because...

Well, because they aren't Tanner Morgan.
Way to dumb it down, Murr.

I'll say this. I think Fleck believes that Morgan is the best QB and deserves to start. I also think that Fleck is tremendously loyal to Morgan and vise-versa. Remember, Morgan committed to Fleck when Fleck was still at WMU. Morgan then flipped his commitment to MN. they are very close. I would say closer than a lot of HC-QB combinations.

So, Fleck is probably more willing than a lot of coaches would be to look past Morgan's occasional struggles.

my stance hasn't changed. It's not that Morgan is a "bad" QB. I just prefer a more mobile QB who can add another dimension to the offense as a runner, and give the defense more to think about.

No doubt that he has two NFL receivers to throw to.....but Johnson in particular made his hay on quick slant routes. Morgan hit him in stride on those. In many cases in tight windows.

Giving Morgan zero credit is a lazy analysis.
Ok.

How has he done *every* other year then the one where he had two NFL wide receivers? He caught magic in a bottle that year and it isn't who he is. He is the player we've seen in 3/4 years of him.

If CAB returns next season, there is a chance we'll have 2 NFL quality receivers on the roster again. Between him and Wright (assuming Wright progresses over the offseason), a balanced run/pass offense should allow Tanner to perform closer to his 2019 season.

Ok.

How has he done *every* other year then the one where he had two NFL wide receivers? He caught magic in a bottle that year and it isn't who he is. He is the player we've seen in 3/4 years of him.

"It isn't who he is"......

Got it. Somebody else was the QB in 2019. :rolleyes:

If CAB returns next season, there is a chance we'll have 2 NFL quality receivers on the roster again. Between him and Wright (assuming Wright progresses over the offseason), a balanced run/pass offense should allow Tanner to perform closer to his 2019 season.

Right. Sanford has been a disaster.....and hasn't done Morgan or the offense any favors. The run, run, pass scheme makes the offense extremely predictable. Get someone in there who has a clue.

Top Bottom