Tanner Morgan Announces Return For 2022

There are people who see behind door #2 every day. Those people's livelihoods are on the line based on making the right decision about which door is better.

You're assuming the staff has no reason to keep playing Morgan other than fear of the unknown.
The problem is people look at the top end QBs and assume every team has that guy sitting on their bench if only the stupid coaches would get out of the way and let the backup play dang it.

They don't bother to look at all the teams getting sub par QB play and think that maybe the backup might look more like that guy than the superstar if given the shot.

I could understand the Morgan hate a little more if we lost a ton of games this year. Didn't realize 8-4 was bad enough to think the QB has to go. Especially when you factor in the revolving door we had this year at RB and WR.

There are people who see behind door #2 every day. Those people's livelihoods are on the line based on making the right decision about which door is better.

You're assuming the staff has no reason to keep playing Morgan other than fear of the unknown.
This x 1,000,000. It's baffling to me that people don't think the staff is evaluating everyone and playing the guys that they think give us the best chance to win.

Ahhhh your negativity senses must have going off telling you it is ok to come back to the board....you have been really quiet since the Wisconsin game, you would think as a fan you would have been on here celebrating with everyone else...guess it is hard to rip Fleck for the Wisconsin game though, so you had to wait for another reason to come back and start bashing again.

And you are right, Morgan is almost certainly the day 1 starter baring injury. The coaches would need to see something pretty amazing from a backup to think it was worth pulling the guy who has led the team to 7 and 6 win Big Ten seasons in the last two full seasons.
Who the hell am I bashing?

Let it go.

Besides, this forum is always less volatile after a win.

Who the hell am I bashing?

Let it go.

Besides, this forum is always less volatile after a win.
Every forum is less volatile after a win.

As far as bashing, you spent weeks obsessively bashing Fleck. It was really quite peculiar.

Every forum is less volatile after a win.

As far as bashing, you spent weeks obsessively bashing Fleck. It was really quite peculiar.
You gotta admit, the Gophers laid some turds this year.

Recognizing that doesn't make a person any less of a fan.

You gotta admit, the Gophers laid some turds this year.

Recognizing that doesn't make a person any less of a fan.
Oh yeah, I was right there complaining about it. I also celebrated the wins.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying that criticizing Fleck is peculiar. I am not even saying that not liking him as a coach is peculiar (even if I disagree). In my opinion, you have an obsessive nature to your criticisms of Fleck. They are constant. They didn't slow down after the Indiana win. You had enough common sense to slow down for a day after beating WI, but you're back at it.

Recognizing the faults of the team and criticizing them doesn't make you less of a fan. Being unable to appreciate the good, does make you less of a fan (IMO).

There is zero hate for anyone on this end. Where are you getting that from? There's a lot of people who are more than willing to see what is behind door #2 in case the ceiling is higher with that player. It worked for Oklahoma earlier this year. If Tanner was playing like he did in 2019 there wouldn't be a peep.

Again....you know what's behind door #2? And Oklahoma!? They replaced Rattler with the #7 recruit in the entire nation. Kind of a different situation....wouldn't you say?

The shocking thing to me is that Morgan is still only 22 years old, and doesn't turn 23 until next spring. You would think he'd be at least 25 next year based on how long he has been around.

Again....you know what's behind door #2? And Oklahoma!? They replaced Rattler with the #7 recruit in the entire nation. Kind of a different situation....wouldn't you say?
Of course there is a difference. But there is also some same, right? No, none of us know what's behind door #2. Anyone who thinks practice is anything like a game doesn't understand the first thing about football at any level. If you think the QBs get equal reps with the first team you are way off. Seems like a lot of you get your understanding of what goes on at high level, big money football is what Hollywood feeds you. Take off your fan lenses and you may see it more for what it is.

The point to all of this piss match is really very simple. Tanner had a great 2019. As a 5th year senior, he's as good as most when he has his feet set and he can throw to a marginally open receiver and he makes the occasional terrific throw. He also has periods where we easy touchdowns had he placed the ball in better spots. There were several in the Iowa game where a better decision or ball placement would have scored. We were that close! When he gets pressured, everything tends to fall apart. Regardless of who the OC/QB coach is, that's on the player to improve and you just expect more from a 5th year guy. Argue all you want but it'll fall on deaf ears. I can't apologize for having higher expectations for a 5th year starter. Not sorry.

If some of us (and there seems to be quite a few) feel like Tanner should have been pulled and someone else, presumably Annexstad, given a chance why is that so offensive to so many? If some of us think Fleck refuses to pull Tanner for a litany of reasons why does that offend so many of you?

Of course there is a difference. But there is also some same, right? No, none of us know what's behind door #2. Anyone who thinks practice is anything like a game doesn't understand the first thing about football at any level. If you think the QBs get equal reps with the first team you are way off. Seems like a lot of you get your understanding of what goes on at high level, big money football is what Hollywood feeds you. Take off your fan lenses and you may see it more for what it is.

The point to all of this piss match is really very simple. Tanner had a great 2019. As a 5th year senior, he's as good as most when he has his feet set and he can throw to a marginally open receiver and he makes the occasional terrific throw. He also has periods where we easy touchdowns had he placed the ball in better spots. There were several in the Iowa game where a better decision or ball placement would have scored. We were that close! When he gets pressured, everything tends to fall apart. Regardless of who the OC/QB coach is, that's on the player to improve and you just expect more from a 5th year guy. Argue all you want but it'll fall on deaf ears. I can't apologize for having higher expectations for a 5th year starter. Not sorry.

If some of us (and there seems to be quite a few) feel like Tanner should have been pulled and someone else, presumably Annexstad, given a chance why is that so offensive to so many? If some of us think Fleck refuses to pull Tanner for a litany of reasons why does that offend so many of you?

So....you admit that you don't know what's behind door number two....but claim that it's better than Morgan. You realize how silly that sounds? You know better than the staff? Morgan is still a better option than our closest rivals best options. You think we have two quarterbacks better than either Iowa or Wisconsin's number one!?

Take a breath. Morgan is a perfectly capable quarterback.

morgan will shatter most qb records here, let's hope he can lead us to big ten title game.

So....you admit that you don't know what's behind door number two....but claim that it's better than Morgan. You realize how silly that sounds? You know better than the staff? Morgan is still a better option than our closest rivals best options. You think we have two quarterbacks better than either Iowa or Wisconsin's number one!?

No...no I haven't claimed door #2 is better. Is your issue reading or is it the comprehension? Try it again.

No...no I haven't claimed door #2 is better. Is your issue reading or is it the comprehension? Try it again.

My issue isn't reading or comprehension. I guess it must be logic. Fleck and the coaching staff get a first hand look at the players on their team. I trust them to make the best choice for starting quarterback.

Maybe I need to turn my logic to zero in order to understand your point. That you know best. Better than the coaches.

I'm suddenly feeling a lot better about Morgan returning. Assuming Tanner starts next year, hopefully the new OC uses Tanner's skillset and designs game plans to maximize his chances of success.

I bet he had more tds dropped than tds he missed on.

My issue isn't reading or comprehension. I guess it must be logic. Fleck and the coaching staff get a first hand look at the players on their team. I trust them to make the best choice for starting quarterback.

Maybe I need to turn my logic to zero in order to understand your point. That you know best. Better than the coaches.
There in lies the distinction. Some fans want to believe they know more than the coaches, others want to trust that the coaches know more than them. The ones who want to believe they know best second guess every decision because it wasn't the way they would have done it and therefore it was wrong.

There in lies the distinction. Some fans want to believe they know more than the coaches, others want to trust that the coaches know more than them. The ones who want to believe they know best second guess every decision because it wasn't the way they would have done it and therefore it was wrong.
I guess so, buddy. That's gotta be it.

Don't. Question. Coaches. (Unless its Sanford, Jr or any other coach YOU disagree with). Fleck however, is off limits. Is that how you want me to be, sir?

Nailed it.

It is yet another case of casual fan disease: the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team, and the coach is clueless for not seeing it.

Now we lost Zach Annexstad and Jacob Clark. Oh... my... God!

They are two great QBs. We know they're great because... um... because...

Well, because they aren't Tanner Morgan.

Don't. Question. Coaches. (Unless its Sanford, Jr or any other coach YOU disagree with). Fleck however, is off limits. Is that how you want me to be, sir?

Dude....many of us have our issues with how Morgan has played at times. You're acting like you know better than the coaches. They spend countless hours with these guys. If Morgan is their pick as the starting QB....you have to trust that Morgan is the best option.

Question play calls. Question schemes. But saying that they aren't playing the best players....with ZERO insight on the players.....is silly.

Stocker nailed it with his reply to this comment.

It isn't about not questioning the coaches or being frustrated by the play of the players at times. It is about assuming you know best based on no info vs. the coaches who work with these guys all the time and who's job security is tied in large part to being able to win football games, meaning it is in their best interests to play the best players.

Stocker nailed it with his reply to this comment.

It isn't about not questioning the coaches or being frustrated by the play of the players at times. It is about assuming you know best based on no info vs. the coaches who work with these guys all the time and who's job security is tied in large part to being able to win football games, meaning it is in their best interests to play the best players.
Dude....many of us have our issues with how Morgan has played at times. You're acting like you know better than the coaches. They spend countless hours with these guys. If Morgan is their pick as the starting QB....you have to trust that Morgan is the best option.

Question play calls. Question schemes. But saying that they aren't playing the best players....with ZERO insight on the players.....is silly.

I'll say for the last time. I did not say I KNOW the other QBs are better. I did not say I knew better than the coaches. How are you not comprehending that? You both are thinking I've said something I haven't said and you're too stubborn to see it.

You guys are both making assumptions based on what you think you know. Based on your comments, it's glaringly obvious you are out of touch with todays college football. I'm not sure what your last experience was with College football (assuming more than just a casual fan) but its clearly been a hot minute.

Anyway, cheers.

Dwelling solely on Fleck's shortcomings while down playing any successes kind of does though.
Yep. I'd go one more: I'd say it more than "kind of does", it actually does.
Lot's of people don't care for his schtick. I'm one of them.

Big deal. He's a big boy and well paid. I'm sure he doesn't care if people criticize him from time to time.

Lot's of people don't care for his schtick. I'm one of them.

Big deal. He's a big boy and well paid. I'm sure he doesn't care if people criticize him from time to time.

Yeah. Even if it is from "diehard fans" like you.

I'll say for the last time. I did not say I KNOW the other QBs are better. I did not say I knew better than the coaches. How are you not comprehending that? You both are thinking I've said something I haven't said and you're too stubborn to see it.

You guys are both making assumptions based on what you think you know. Based on your comments, it's glaringly obvious you are out of touch with todays college football. I'm not sure what your last experience was with College football (assuming more than just a casual fan) but its clearly been a hot minute.

Anyway, cheers.

Why has Tanner Morgan remained the starter, in your opinion?

Why has Tanner Morgan remained the starter, in your opinion?
Just to be clear, I haven't suggested Tanner not be the starter. What I have said is at certain points in certain games the reward may have been higher than the risk by trying a new QB to spark things. QB2 gets very limited reps with the 1s during the week. At certain points, if your QB1 is on a bad stretch, it's a great opportunity to see what QB2 can do at the wheel. I (and based on the recent poll, a few others too) are curious why Fleck didn't get to that point with Morgan.

It would also seem to send a message to the QB room that once you're named QB1 you become untouchable. Factor in Tanner announcing his decision to stay and it just makes the mind search for answers because nothing up to this point seems to make any logical sense.

Sue me for having a different view of the situation.

Last edited:

Just to be clear, I haven't suggestion Tanner not be the starter. What I have said is at certain points in certain games the reward may have been higher than the risk by trying a new QB to spark things. QB2 gets very limited reps with the 1s during the week. At certain points, if your QB1 is on a bad stretch, it's a great opportunity to see what QB2 can do at the wheel. I (and based on the recent poll, a few others too) are curious why Fleck didn't get to that point with Morgan.

It would also seem to send a message to the QB room that once you're named QB1 you become untouchable. Factor in Tanner announcing his decision to stay and it just makes the mind search for answers because nothing up to this point seems to make any logical sense.

Sue me for having a different view of the situation.

Not the lawsuit type.

I thought you were saying that Morgan was the starter because he was a brown-noser, and Fleck likes being brown-nosed.

If not, then... my bad.

Anyway, cheers.

Are you Jacob Clark's Dad?

Perhaps Fleck didn't move on from Sanford, and Sanford called out the Morgan elephant in the room with the best backups leaving, and it was more mutual than we think.

Top Bottom