Tanner Morgan Announces Return For 2022

In general, I’m fine with Morgan coming back. We’ve seen he is capable of being a big time QB because we all saw 2019. I fully believe Sanford is his issue and if Sanford is gone Morgan will improve. Let’s see what happens.

People need to have a little perspective. Compare Morgan to Mertz and whatever Iowa trots out. Morgan is a perfectly capable quarterback.
Well:

Iowa qb Petras: 236 attempts, 58% completion rate, 9 td's and 6 picks
Gophers qb Morgan: 236 attempts, 60% completion rate, 10 td's and 8 picks

They are basically identical. They don't have much for receivers and we probably didn't either. We look at Iowa as their quarterbacks being bad, but look at us. Our running game was far better, and we should be able to throw it easier.

The win yesterday is completely overshadowing that Tanner was pretty much Petras like this year.

Well:

They are basically identical. They don't have much for receivers and we probably didn't either. We look at Iowa as their quarterbacks being bad, but look at us. Our running game was far better, and we should be able to throw it easier.

The win yesterday is completely overshadowing that Tanner was pretty much Petras like this year.

I put partial blame on the coaching staff. Morgan imo, is better than Petras.

If Morgan comes back, I really, really, really want to see another QB get some meaningful snaps next year.

If the Gophs are up by 20+ points in the 4th Qtr, let another QB play - and let them use the entire offense. Don't put the backup in just to hand off 5 or 6 straight plays.

Gophs have been lucky with Morgan's durability. but given the nature of the position, you can't count on any QB playing 60 minutes of every game all season.

Let's have a succession plan in place. Like training in your replacement before you retire.

The best part of Ibrahim and Morgan coming back is that they will convince others to play one more year. JMS was hinting that he would be back.

This is good news!

While I'm hoping for an open competition at QB during the offseason (as there should be at ALL positions) there's virtually no argument that the Gophers are better in 2022 without him either as the starter or the extremely experienced backup.

Well:

Morgan had 2019. Petras had high school.

The problem has been clear. Hopefully that situation is being sorted out one way or another.

I want to see what Athan and Clark have and give ZA a chance

Schmitz
Andries
Ruschmeyer
Chris Autman-Bell
Mo Ibrahim
Boye Mafe
Otomewo
Jordan Howden
Thomas Rush
Mariano Sori-Marin
T. Smith
with a good chunk of those guys coming back including Mo and Morgan, and no Ohio State or Michigan next season...suddenly the prospects for 2022 look pretty solid.

Those who were talking as if the window was closing after 2021 were a bit short-sighted.

I put partial blame on the coaching staff. Morgan imo, is better than Petras.
I'd take Morgan, too, but damn, look at the numbers. I thought Petras sucked, and our guy had the same numbers.

This strikes me as a bit selfish on Tanners part.

Unless he really is the best QB we have. , if there isnt an exodus of QBs, Ill be surprised.
Under normal circumstances I might agree with you.

The 2020 Year of Covid season was anything but normal. I agree with the NCAA that the players that experienced it get another year of eligibility. It will just be an asterisk in the record books, and then just a blip in the collective memory...both hopefully soon enough. I don't count last year against Tanner and figure he doesn't count it either.

I also don't consider Tanner as a "normal" FB player. He fully expected to be a Western Michigan Bronko and followed this Coach and staff to Minnesota, apparently without a blink. He is a fine example of who we as fans should want as a player in Maroon & Gold, and are blessed by the football gods to have him.

Finally, I think he sees unfinished business here...starting with The Pig and followed by The West. I fully believe that if he didn't believe he still had something big to offer, he would move on. Really believe he is on a football mission for the long suffering University of Minnesota fans and institution regarding football.

After competition...and I do believe we need it at QB...he ends up as No. 2 I don't see him pouting like many would do. Not in his football DNA. Any downside is just washed out with the potential upside to me.

I wonder if the other remaining original WMU Fleck recruits that followed him to the Gophers - Esezi Otomewom JMS, and the CrAB are also returning.

I'd take Morgan, too, but damn, look at the numbers. I thought Petras sucked, and our guy had the same numbers.
If you just look at this year, they are similar. Career numbers are different. Have to factor in the horrible games that Sanford was calling this year when you look at Morgan's stats. Last few games since Simon seems to have had a bigger say, Morgan has looked a lot more like "old" Tanner.
Career numbers:
Petras 57.5%, 18 TD, 11 INT. 118.5 Rating
Morgan 61.3%, 56TD, 26 INT, 151.4 Rating

Morgan is better.

Under normal circumstances I might agree with you.

The 2020 Year of Covid season was anything but normal. I agree with the NCAA that the players that experienced it get another year of eligibility. It will just be an asterisk in the record books, and then just a blip in the collective memory...both hopefully soon enough. I don't count last year against Tanner and figure he doesn't count it either.

I also don't consider Tanner as a "normal" FB player. He fully expected to be a Western Michigan Bronko and followed this Coach and staff to Minnesota, apparently without a blink. He is a fine example of who we as fans should want as a player in Maroon & Gold, and are blessed by the football gods to have him.

Finally, I think he sees unfinished business here...starting with The Pig and followed by The West. I fully believe that if he didn't believe he still had something big to offer, he would move on. Really believe he is on a football mission for the long suffering University of Minnesota fans and institution regarding football.

After competition...and I do believe we need it at QB...he ends up as No. 2 I don't see him pouting like many would do. Not in his football DNA. Any downside is just washed out with the potential upside to me.
None of our quarterbacks have pouted about being No. 2, 3, or 4.

Good to have Tanner back, but I hope two things will happen: we won't be a bottom dweller again in passing per game, and Fleck will give an upcoming QB who can pass more game experience.

here's a thought - and a prediction -

next season, in every Gopher game, the TV announcer will come up with this fun fact:

"Tanner Morgan is older than X# of current NFL Quarterbacks."

I haven't done the research, but I would suspect there will be at least several NFL QB's who will be younger than Morgan next year.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle.
Sure you could - during Korean War, freshman could play, then they dropped it. Football had free substitution, then dropped it for years and went back to strictly limited substitution (l953, Giel had to play both ways as did most). Later they brought platoon football back. Laws can be changed, tinkered with, reformed.

Sure you could - during Korean War, freshman could play, then they dropped it. Football had free substitution, then dropped it for years and went back to strictly limited substitution (l953, Giel had to play both ways as did most). Later they brought platoon football back. Laws can be changed, tinkered with, reformed.
Let's just say I think it's highly unlikely it will happen.

If you just look at this year, they are similar. Career numbers are different. Have to factor in the horrible games that Sanford was calling this year when you look at Morgan's stats. Last few games since Simon seems to have had a bigger say, Morgan has looked a lot more like "old" Tanner.
Career numbers:

Morgan is better.
Do we have evidence Simon has had bigger role last two games? Or did Fleck sit down with Sanford and say "Look, we have made Tresselball unreganizable even to Tressel. Let's open up the playbook and balance things out to make it a little harder to defend against us."

Career numbers:

Morgan is better.
Well ya, but if Petras had been able to throw to Bateman and Johnson. I'm looking at without those two and they are damn near even.

I've always rooted for Tanner but part of me will be happy when this optional 5th year for players is over. I know it's helped us in football and basketball but it's detrimental for recruits who have waited for their chances. I suspect that we will have QBs transfer out. I'm not sure why a QB would transfer in under these circumstances.

with a good chunk of those guys coming back including Mo and Morgan, and no Ohio State or Michigan next season...suddenly the prospects for 2022 look pretty solid.

Those who were talking as if the window was closing after 2021 were a bit short-sighted.

Would be a threat if a decent chunk of those guys return. Even half.

Morgan had some rough games. Iowa in particular was bad. But when he plays well....his ceiling is quite a bit higher than Petras. There was nothing this year to suggest anyone should have confidence in that guy.

Well ya, but if Petras had been able to throw to Bateman and Johnson. I'm looking at without those two and they are damn near even.

So you are removing the stats that make Morgan look significantly better? I mean Petras looks even better if you take all of his interceptions out of the comparison.

Top Bottom