Tanner Morgan Announces Return For 2022

Morgan had 2019. Petras had high school.

The problem has been clear. Hopefully that situation is being sorted out one way or another.
PE - you and I need to get the Morgan fan club shirts printed up.

I've always rooted for Tanner but part of me will be happy when this optional 5th year for players is over. I know it's helped us in football and basketball but it's detrimental for recruits who have waited for their chances. I suspect that we will have QBs transfer out. I'm not sure why a QB would transfer in under these circumstances.

Exactly. He is not so good for the end result that you risk having one or more backups transfer.

QB is not like RB where you give the starter 25 carries and the backup 10, and it's not like WR where you have 2 on the field every play. Whoever the one starting QB is is going to get 95% of the snaps under Fleck, and I highly doubt Tanner is returning for a 6th year because he expects to compete in an open competition.

We are not going to learn anything about Tanner in his 6th year that we didn't already know by his 5th. By the time next season ends he will have graduated 30 months prior. It's time for him to move on and give someone else a chance.

Exactly. He is not so good for the end result that you risk having one or more backups transfer.

QB is not like RB where you give the starter 25 carries and the backup 10, and it's not like WR where you have 2 on the field every play. Whoever the one starting QB is is going to get 95% of the snaps under Fleck, and I highly doubt Tanner is returning for a 6th year because he expects to compete in an open competition.

We are not going to learn anything about Tanner in his 6th year that we didn't already know by his 5th. By the time next season ends he will have graduated 30 months prior. It's time for him to move on and give someone else a chance.
If Morgan gives us the best chance to win next year then I want him back, I don’t care if a back up transfers. It’s not like we can’t replace the back up qbs. Do people really think ZA, Kramer, and Clark are much better prospects than Athan and Knuth?

Didn't it seem like things looked really different the last few games? Like maybe Simon was calling the games? Or Sanford had an epiphany.

Crossed my mind as well. They started doing things they absolutely refused to do vs some other teams that shan’t be mentioned today.

Didn't it seem like things looked really different the last few games? Like maybe Simon was calling the games? Or Sanford had an epiphany.
More likely Fleck had the epiphany.

Now let's see who enters the transfer portal

I like the guy, seems like a great kid, but I really hope he isn't our best option next year. He had a couple of nice throws yesterday, but a lot of the problems still persist. Even on Irving's long catch the ball is behind him and makes him turn around. Same with Ford-Spahns against Iowa. Guys schemed wide open and he almost misses them and ultimately causes them to have no momentum going when they stop or spin around to get the ball.

I do think he throws a real nice deep fade, but everything else needs a lot of work, if can even be fixed.

I like the guy, seems like a great kid, but I really hope he isn't our best option next year. He had a couple of nice throws yesterday, but a lot of the problems still persist. Even on Irving's long catch the ball is behind him and makes him turn around. Same with Ford-Spahns against Iowa. Guys schemed wide open and he almost misses them and ultimately causes them to have no momentum going when they stop or spin around to get the ball.

I do think he throws a real nice deep fade, but everything else needs a lot of work, if can even be fixed.

Yeah, he’s had ALOT more accuracy issues this year and last to the point I wondered if he’s playing with some sort of lingering pain issue (which is still possible). The question is whether there is someone better on the roster, that’s ready. He pressed a lot more this year, was uncomfortable at times eg at Iowa was extra obvious. I tend to blame the coaches more. Fair to argue.

I am totally unsure what to make of this. On one hand, people take Tanner for granted. He's an all time winner, a great teammate, knows how to lead a team. I think if you put him in for Iowa or Wisconsin they win more games this year. That said, hes clearly physically limited. He's not going to have a 30-35 400yd 5td game or have a 150yd rushing game like some QBs. Which limits our team, feels like his return means a lock to win 7 games, but also likely means a max of 8-9 wins.

The other thing to consider, none of us are in that QB room. There are some here who think the other QBs have more arm talent. Maybe PJF thinks none of Kramer, Clark, ZA, Athan can do the job so he wants a rock for 1 more year before starting a new era. Hopefully it all works out

Let's face it, Morgan as a passer was basically Mitch Leidner this year. I'd be fine with it if I thought there was going to be an open competition next year, or if PJ showed any willingness to sit him down in games when he's not playing well.

You know, the Ivy League refused to participate in this extra year of eligibility option when it was announced. The spokesperson for the Ivy League said: "We believe our students should move on with their lives."

Let's face it, Morgan as a passer was basically Mitch Leidner this year. I'd be fine with it if I thought there was going to be an open competition next year, or if PJ showed any willingness to sit him down in games when he's not playing well.

My discomfort with this has nothing to do with Tanner. This whole 5th year option thing has really screwed a lot of student athletes who were not in college yet when it was announced and will continue to screw many high school recruits until the last of the eligible players leave.

In his entire career, Brad Davison missed only the Big Ten Tournament and the NCAA tournament in 2020 as a result of this pandemic but he's playing a full 5th year of eligibility instead of some other recruit.

I’m not saying anything bad about Morgan here but one of the things I love about college sports over pro is the quick turnover of players.

I am totally unsure what to make of this. On one hand, people take Tanner for granted. He's an all time winner, a great teammate, knows how to lead a team. I think if you put him in for Iowa or Wisconsin they win more games this year. That said, hes clearly physically limited. He's not going to have a 30-35 400yd 5td game or have a 150yd rushing game like some QBs. Which limits our team, feels like his return means a lock to win 7 games, but also likely means a max of 8-9 wins.

The other thing to consider, none of us are in that QB room. There are some here who think the other QBs have more arm talent. Maybe PJF thinks none of Kramer, Clark, ZA, Athan can do the job so he wants a rock for 1 more year before starting a new era. Hopefully it all works out
The conservative approach (PJ Fleck Exhibit 1) will be to give Athan one more year on the sideline preparing for 2023. This will play out as long as Tanner plays role of winning team caretaker or better.

As we saw this year it will take more than moderate deficiencies to get Morgan off the field.

I originally hoped he would move on. Nothing personal, great guy, won a lot of games for us, etc, but thought we needed to get the other guys in the mix. Feel bad for Zach but the coaching staff must think Tanner is better than Zach, Kramer or Clark (now transferring). If that's the case, then in 2023, Knuth will be a redshirt freshman and K will be a redshirt sophomore and we can move forward with that.

The conservative approach (PJ Fleck Exhibit 1) will be to give Athan one more year on the sideline preparing for 2023. This will play out as long as Tanner plays role of winning team caretaker or better.

As we saw this year it will take more than moderate deficiencies to get Morgan off the field.
The only thing that should be Morgan off the field is if there is someone on the bench who gives us a better chance at winning. It's not about conservative or aggressive. That's the only test.

You know, the Ivy League refused to participate in this extra year of eligibility option when it was announced. The spokesperson for the Ivy League said: "We believe our students should move on with their lives."
Guess the U must not be Ivyesque.

“…oh we love the halls of ivy
That surround us here today
but we will extend eligibility
so sixth year guys can play…”

Bummed about Clark leaving as I thought he would be the next guy just based on his high school resume.
However, the team will have an above average BIG QB coming back that has good chemistry with the offense, isn’t selfish, and he can learn to get better with progressions he could be top four QBs in the conference.

The portal should be dropped - the full anarchy of it will be evident in the next few years,
Is this sarcasm or your serious take? Do you feel these kids owe it to you or anyone to stay somewhere that did not, or was not going to work out for whatever reason? Coaches, ADs, trainers, everyone associated with a football program is allowed to leave any time for any reason, but you don't think a player should?

I don't believe I've seen a more self-righteous statement on here, and that's saying something.

My opinion means nothing... But I'm not sure how I feel about this... I get it you can come back for a year.. I hope it's more as a pre grad assistant coach type role.. I really think we need a qb with all tanners intangibles but with a better arm... Is that qb in the roster?? I think he is...

Bummed about Clark leaving as I thought he would be the next guy just based on his high school resume.
However, the team will have an above average BIG QB coming back that has good chemistry with the offense, isn’t selfish, and he can learn to get better with progressions he could be top four QBs in the conference.
This kind of bleeds into something I have been thinking about in regards to Tanner coming back. Put aside the belief that the backup QB is the savior and just compare him with other QBs in the Big Ten. If you could trade Morgan straight up for for another QB in the Big Ten, no change in personnel around him or system, who would you make the swap for?

East
OSU - Stroud - Yes
Mich - McNamera - Yes
PSU - Clifford - Maybe
MSU - Thorne - Maybe with a lean towards Yes
Mary - Tua - Yes, would be interesting to see what he could do on a team with defense
Rut - No (regardless of which warm body was under center)

West
WIS - Mertz - hell to the no
Iowa - Petras or Padilla - nope and nope
ILL - Take your pick - Nope
NW - See Illinois - Nope
PUR - O'Connell - Yes
NEB - Martinez - Maybe, though his propensity to screw up when the game on the line is scary.

By that metric puts Morgan somewhere near the lower portion of the top half of the conference in regards to QBs. But I am truly not sure just how much better any of those other guys would make us on the field. Take Stroud for example, he looks great in that offense but he is also surrounded by a ridiculous amount of talent at the skill position.

Morgan has his flaws but he gets a lot of crap thrown at him that he doesn't deserve. Kid is a winner and a great leader. If someone beats him out for the job great, but we could do a whole lot worse than Tanner Morgan as our QB.

This kind of bleeds into something I have been thinking about in regards to Tanner coming back. Put aside the belief that the backup QB is the savior and just compare him with other QBs in the Big Ten. If you could trade Morgan straight up for for another QB in the Big Ten, no change in personnel around him or system, who would you make the swap for?

East
OSU - Stroud - Yes
Mich - McNamera - Yes
PSU - Clifford - Maybe
MSU - Thorne - Maybe with a lean towards Yes
Mary - Tua - Yes, would be interesting to see what he could do on a team with defense
Rut - No (regardless of which warm body was under center)

West
WIS - Mertz - hell to the no
Iowa - Petras or Padilla - nope and nope
ILL - Take your pick - Nope
NW - See Illinois - Nope
PUR - O'Connell - Yes
NEB - Martinez - Maybe, though his propensity to screw up when the game on the line is scary.

By that metric puts Morgan somewhere near the lower portion of the top half of the conference in regards to QBs. But I am truly not sure just how much better any of those other guys would make us on the field. Take Stroud for example, he looks great in that offense but he is also surrounded by a ridiculous amount of talent at the skill position.

Morgan has his flaws but he gets a lot of crap thrown at him that he doesn't deserve. Kid is a winner and a great leader. If someone beats him out for the job great, but we could do a whole lot worse than Tanner Morgan as our QB.

Agree with most of these but I think you probably need to put his best effort up, ie 2019 Morgan up as comparison when looking at teams like Michigan. That’s maybe more apples to apples. I’m not sure I’d take McNamera, for example. Maybe. Penn State, Maryland, Nebraska, Purdue all have better receivers or at least one difference maker. Would those QBs have success in our OCs offense with these skill players and a hobbled CAB for most of the year? I don’t know.

I‘d definitely take Stroud. Not sure about Thorne as I haven’t seen a single MSU game. O’Connell is pretty good. I’d probably trade for him as a pure passer.

Does that mean a few of the younger guys hit the portal? Not sure if it’s a positive long term but I think it helps chances to win next year!
If any, wouldn’t it be the older guys?

Top Bottom