Souhan & Reusse: "Administration Desperate to Fire Brewster"

Really? I hadn't heard this, and for some reason viewed Brewster as a guy who could stick around here for a while even with success.
If he really is looking to 'step up' as soon as possible, I may have to revise my opinion on keeping Brewster around.

This thread is beginning to fill up with a bunch of useless gossip. Brew wasn't going anywhere.

I know but I couldn't think of any other names. But if it did happen you should buy me lunch.

So, if Tony Dungy is the coach next season, or the one following; I will take you to lunch? Deal, because it will never happen.

Shoot, I'll pay off my previous bet with Doogie at the same time.

Even thinking about firing Brewster is idiotic at this point. Rome was not built in a day.

I don't think you lose a year of eligibility if you transfer, correct? I could be wrong though. Just have to sit out a year.

That's true, but if you've already used your redshirt year, then transferring to another FBS team will cost you a year of eligibility because you won't be able to redshirt during your transfer year.

Only because no one else wanted him. He would sprint out of here in a second if he could get a bigger job. He has no loyalty or ties to this school or state.

You and I have no idea what he wants. Your hatred for Brewster clouds your vision.

Only because no one else wanted him. He would sprint out of here in a second if he could get a bigger job. He has no loyalty or ties to this school or state.

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know and neither do you. At least I can admit it.

If Brewster's phone rings, I'll bet he answers it.

If that's what they wanna do, then I hope they realize how damaging it could potentially be. The payoff could be great, but firing coaches who have shown some improvement after three years is a very dangerous proposition. You know other potential coaches will be watching, and may be scared away by the fact that a school would move that quickly on someone, especially a coach who has actually shown improvement every year, has recruited pretty well for the area, and has really at least ignited a little excitement in the program despite all the negativity surrounding it. To fire him now....I just don't like the way that looks.

And if they were to proceed with this, which I'm actually doubting but just going along with the story, then he better have some pretty darn good replacements on the docket, I mean fully proven head coaches who have a great track record. Don't fire Brewster and then hand the reigns to some hot shot coordinator and let him have his first head coaching job here as well.

Maybe what these great and all knowing columnists perceive as a lack of guts on the part of the administration is actually this type of thoughtfullness on the part of the administration. Maybe things are a bit more complicated when you are the AD at a major university than a columnist whose job will someday be obsolete due to blogs like these. If I was in a foxhole with these guys, I'd be a lot more comfortable next to Maturi than those two. Maturi has more guts in his little finger than these guys have combined.

I want the Vikings and the Gophers both to succeed here but they for the sake of the Vikings want the Gopher football team to fail. .

I'm not sure I understand this thinking, and i hear it alot from people. But how on god's green earth does Gopher football failures benefit the Vikes?

Ruesse and Souhan have been anti-Brew from day 1. It is no surprise they might have people in the admin who would feed their issues.

The speculation on what happened with the offense is widely covered, but they need to get back to spring ball and practice to make it right. Regardless, Brew has worked hard in upgrading the talent here and deserves at least next year to try and make something happen.

Maybe what these great and all knowing columnists perceive as a lack of guts on the part of the administration is actually this type of thoughtfullness on the part of the administration. Maybe things are a bit more complicated when you are the AD at a major university than a columnist whose job will someday be obsolete due to blogs like these. If I was in a foxhole with these guys, I'd be a lot more comfortable next to Maturi than those two. Maturi has more guts in his little finger than these guys have combined.

well said firejumper

+1

Maturi has had issues with all the major coaches- at what point do we realize it doesn't matter

This is the part that gets me. What the AD's needs to do and the what the coach wants to happen are not always the same. Just like in a job - does your boss always structure everything the way you want?

Couple that with the fact that D1 coaches (and staff) are generally very competitive people, you are going to get the occasional venting of frustration. But these are professional people and they move on very quickly.

This is very much a non story.

I'm not sure I understand this thinking, and i hear it alot from people. But how on god's green earth does Gopher football failures benefit the Vikes?

I don't suscribe to this line of thinking but the theory goes:
1) The Twin Cities has a X number of football fans.
2) The Vikes/Gophers must share the revenue from X.
3) If the Gophers stink, the Vikings share of X will increase.

I will trust the player you talked to, but perception may equal reality when it comes to Maturi ... it's how Maturi took the comments, not how we feel about the situation.

Doogie,

So, have you talked directly to Maturi to find out how he took these comments? Because if you have not, I would like to know what the basis is for your comment.

The player I know had some pretty good first hand information. I will stand by that until you (or others) can provide other first hand information that contradicts him.

PS - By the way, my player friends says it was 1 comment

Sweet, you can see into future? What's the powerball numbers for tonight?

Super. It will also be awesome when Brewster goes out to talk to local recruits and this has blown up everywhere.

This madness has got to stop. A 3rd year coach in his first head coaching gig... you don't fire him for going .500.

This is the part that gets me. What the AD's needs to do and the what the coach wants to happen are not always the same. Just like in a job - does your boss always structure everything the way you want?

Couple that with the fact that D1 coaches (and staff) are generally very competitive people, you are going to get the occasional venting of frustration. But these are professional people and they move on very quickly.

This is very much a non story.

How do we know they have both moved on? Maturi hasn't given Brew much support in the papers lately.

Doogie,

So, have you talked directly to Maturi to find out how he took these comments? Because if you have not, I would like to know what the basis is for your comment.

The player I know had some pretty good first hand information. I will stand by that until you (or others) can provide other first hand information that contradicts him.

PS - By the way, my player friends says it was 1 comment

There is more to their fractured relationship than that 1 incident (by fractured, I mean not nearly the same as it was the day Brewster was hired)... the Dunbar firing has been chronicled ... and there are other issues (the Reusse tweet incident, etc...)

There is more to their fractured relationship than that 1 incident (by fractured, I mean not nearly the same as it was the day Brewster was hired)... the Dunbar firing has been chronicled ... and there are other issues (the Reusse tweet incident, etc...)

I think we all heard about these things, but where did it come from? How do you know for sure they have a "fractured relationship?" Did Maturi ever say he was pissed about the Dunbar firing?

We live in this gossip world now where people just assume stuff without actual evidence to back it up. Not pointing the finger at you specifically Doogie, just saying in general.

Souhan, Reusse, Doogie, and on and on and on. It's all the same junk and doesn't in the least resemble objective journalism. They all lead with personal opinion and agenda, which is more fun and much easier than research and listing sources, something most serious freelance journalists must do if they hope to sell their work a second time to the same publication.

Here's the formula: Float a thesis, back it up with clever, sarcastic writing, stick in a "someone said to someone who is a really good source" line and then sit back and fan the flames. If, a year or two later, you're right, the public will never hear the end of it. If you're wrong, it becomes a topic never touched upon again. Nice work. It's editorial journalism without cited sources and facts, not true reporting. Just look back at Doogie's statements on this site.

Want opinion, not fact? I think Brewster won't pass the time of day with either Souhan or Reusse and the war is on. Never mind truth.

I will trust the player you talked to, but perception may equal reality when it comes to Maturi ... it's how Maturi took the comments, not how we feel about the situation.

Doogie,

I am wondering in all of D1 sports, how many AD / Head coach relationships are not exactly as chummy as they were the day the head coach was hired? I am going to flat out tell you that Maturi and J Robinson do not have a chummy relationship. I have been in the room with both of them - coldly professional would be a generous description of their interaction. If the job was open, and J interviewed, there is no way in hell Maturi hires him. So, I J on the firing line too?

With regards to the Reusse Tweet. Maturi was pissed as he felt it was unprofessional. Frankly, I agree. From what I heard, Maturi was pretty blunt to Brewster about it. Have you seen it happen again? That's what I mean - things get addressed and these guys MOVE ON.

This is where you lose me. Using words like "fractured", a pretty blunt word to describe a relationship, only then to qualify it as "different from the date he was hired" real shows a bias in your opinion of the situation. Have you talked to either Brewster or Maturi about their relationship? What comments have they made that suggests "fractured"? I follow the program very closely (media, booster, and internal contact) and I have never heard anyone even suggest "fractured". Who has said that to you? Or, are you just expressing an opinion? Because the tone of you writing suggests an investigative reporting type perspective rather than an opinion columnist view.

I think we all heard about these things, but where did it come from? How do you know for sure they have a "fractured relationship?" Did Maturi ever say he was pissed about the Dunbar firing?

We live in this gossip world now where people just assume stuff without actual evidence to back it up. Not pointing the finger at you specifically Doogie, just saying in general.

We'll it's not like Maturi is going to come out and say he has a Fractured relationship. That's why we're stuck trying to read between the lines and listening to gossip. Seventy percent of this board is rumors and gossip and a lot of comes true.

How do we know they have both moved on? Maturi hasn't given Brew much support in the papers lately.

I think that Maturi is simply following what I see to be the AD mantra of communication regarding their coaches - we evaluate programs at the end of the season. He has been quoted multiple times on this. He has also said multiple times that coaches are evaluated on more than wins and losses.

To say anything else seems to just fuel the media machine. Could you imagine Notre Dame's AD saying anything else regarding Charlie Weis right now?

I think Maturi learned from the Monson fiasco and is much more reserved in his media comments - which I personally think is a good thing.

Souhan, Reusse, Doogie, and on and on and on. It's all the same junk and doesn't in the least resemble objective journalism.

QUOTE]

How many times does this have to be explained here? Reusse and Souhan are columnists, they are PAID to write their opinions. They don't have to be objective. And you don't have to like their opinion. But they are doing their job by getting you to read their opinion. From the looks of it, today they were quite successful at their job.

Has Maturi ever gone on the record with anyone -- NO ... however, they are eating his $270,000 salary ... no athletic director ever wants to eat that kind of $$ for an assistant coach.

Doogie,

I am wondering in all of D1 sports, how many AD / Head coach relationships are not exactly as chummy as they were the day the head coach was hired? I am going to flat out tell you that Maturi and J Robinson do not have a chummy relationship. I have been in the room with both of them - coldly professional would be a generous description of their interaction. If the job was open, and J interviewed, there is no way in hell Maturi hires him. So, I J on the firing line too?

With regards to the Reusse Tweet. Maturi was pissed as he felt it was unprofessional. Frankly, I agree. From what I heard, Maturi was pretty blunt to Brewster about it. Have you seen it happen again? That's what I mean - things get addressed and these guys MOVE ON.

This is where you lose me. Using words like "fractured", a pretty blunt word to describe a relationship, only then to qualify it as "different from the date he was hired" real shows a bias in your opinion of the situation. Have you talked to either Brewster or Maturi about their relationship? What comments have they made that suggests "fractured"? I follow the program very closely (media, booster, and internal contact) and I have never heard anyone even suggest "fractured". Who has said that to you? Or, our you just expressing an opinion? Because the tone of you writing suggests an investigative reporting type perspective rather than an opinion columnist view.
How would you describe their relationship? I'm looking for a honest answer and I'm not try to be a smart ass in any way. You are able to admit that there has been a few issues which makes me think you can be objective.

Top Bottom